Shopping at Costco without a membership

Our costco requires a membership card no matter the form of paymen t- they are crackign down on those who are taking advantage of this and they ar eremoving the loopholes - we were just there on Sunday and someone was trying this at self-checkout andy actually referenced several "money saving" sites saying it was allowed and the Manager said they were aware of teh sties and Costro is removing that loophold and yuo will have to scan your membership card to continue the purhcase. Also, Costso requires the name on the card be on the ID of the person that is paying so you can't just borrow a friend's card and go - you can go WITH them as a guest, and give them $$ for your items though.

Our Sam's also requires that the name on the card (that comes up on their end) matches the ID of the person paying
Great to hear. We are Executive Members and were just there last night, but I forgot to ask about this loophole. Glad to hear they are cracking down on people trying to cheat the system. :thumbsup2

How is it cheating the system? It allows members to gift Costco giftcards to nonmembers. This is likely mostly parents to young adult kids. We have an executive membership, and I love the idea of being able to give my kids cards in their stockings for gas money.

Do they sell Costco cards anywhere other than Costco? This might not be such a huge "loophole" if you have to get the gift cards at their store. I buy tons of gift cards at Kroger and don't ever remember seeing Costco ones there.

Great to hear. We are Executive Members and were just there last night, but I forgot to ask about this loophole. Glad to hear they are cracking down on people trying to cheat the system. :thumbsup2

I agree. If you could buy gift cards to use at Costco and avoid paying the $60 annual membership fee would be unfair to those paying the membership fee.

Pleae note that Costco no longer offers Cash Cards. They are now called Shop Cards. If you have the old cash cards, you can transfer them to a shop card at Costco.

Costco gift cards are not sold in other stores because you can't buy a Costco gift card unless you're a member. Maybe you receive one as a gift from a member. Maybe you ask a member to buy you one! Or you pick one up on eBay.

I used my Costco gift card this week and had no problems. I had called in advance to ask if I needed to have a member with me to use the gift card, since I'm not a member. You don't - you just show the gift card when you enter. However, if you're not a member, you have to pay for your purchases with cash or debit card. Paying with a credit card is a perk that is reserved for Costco members. You can spend as much as you like - you're not limited to the amount on the gift card. You just pay the balance with cash or debit. And they keep the gift card. So if you wanted to return without buying a Costco membership, you would have to wait until you got another Costco gift card.

I can see that some Costco members would be annoyed to find that they are paying an annual membership and others can shop without paying that membership. But plenty of Costco members enjoy giving Costco gift cards as presents - it really is a fun gift, because it's your "ticket" into the store to look around and experience Costco (land of a thousand fluorescent lights!).

My Sam's doesn't check cards at the door and you can shop without a membership, but you pay a percentage fee if you buy anything. At my Costco people just flash their cards as they walk in. At Costco, I don't even have to do that they recognize me. Costco must be a good employer because they seem to retain staff. I've been shopping at this Costco for 20 years and many of the employees are the same.

Our costco requires a membership card no matter the form of paymen t- they are crackign down on those who are taking advantage of this and they ar eremoving the loopholes - we were just there on Sunday and someone was trying this at self-checkout andy actually referenced several "money saving" sites saying it was allowed and the Manager said they were aware of teh sties and Costro is removing that loophold and yuo will have to scan your membership card to continue the purhcase. Also, Costso requires the name on the card be on the ID of the person that is paying so you can't just borrow a friend's card and go - you can go WITH them as a guest, and give them $$ for your items though.

Our Sam's also requires that the name on the card (that comes up on their end) matches the ID of the person paying

Your Costco must be more strict than ours. My DD just went tonight with her Cash Card and picked up some things I needed.

My Sam's doesn't check cards at the door and you can shop without a membership, but you pay a percentage fee if you buy anything. At my Costco people just flash their cards as they walk in. At Costco, I don't even have to do that they recognize me. Costco must be a good employer because they seem to retain staff. I've been shopping at this Costco for 20 years and many of the employees are the same.
I would agree. It's kind of crazy. I've been shopping at our store for about 14 years and also notice many are the same employees.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter