Shopping Area in St. Maarten

FLmomof2

Keep Moving Forward
Does anyone know if the shoppes are close enough from dock to walk? Or are the majority of the shoppes aways a way that we would need to take a taxi?

We took a cab into town, and did an island tour, which was nice. The driver was really funny and full of facts. We shared the van with a couple off the Royal Carribean ship, so it wasn't too expensive.

He dropped us back off in St. Maarten, downtown, and we walked around, then hiked it back to the ship on foot. It was probably 1 or 1 1/4 mile from the edge of downtown to the dock. It of course started to rain about halfway back, but we just grinned and bared it. We were on vacation :)

If you were to walk to downtown, walk around the shops area, then walk back, that might be a bit much. Maybe consider a taxi one way or something.

We are both in our early 30s, and ended up carrying our 3-year-old. I'd say we were in good shape, but needed the extra exercise from all that good food we were overindulging!

Now St. Thomas was too far to walk! But they had those mini-bus things that weren't too expensive.

Have fun!
Cathy
Not-So-Scary Halloween Cruise, Oct. 29-Nov. 5 2005

Thanks! We are in our early 30's too and have a 3 1/2 yr old and a 10 month old. Don't want to have to hike far with the two of them!

So St. Thomas was too far to walk to the shopping? Are the taxi and vans all over the place or will it take us a while to get one?

just a block or so down the pier there is a water taxi that will take you to 2 additional spots in the downtown area of Philipsberg. Get off Get back on, the charge is only $5.00 per adult and I believe 5 and under are free. Best part is it's $5.00 for the whole day. Unlimited use. Bring your packages back to the ship on the water taxi and ride right back out that afternoon. Money well spent. To get to the French side of the island you need a land taxi for sure.

There are a few tents set up off the dock with a few vendors. That is as far as the kids & I got first cruise. Great prices! Last trip after venturing to the butterfly farm on our own we took the water taxi to the other shopping area. Very simple to get to. :)

If you dock at the Havensite dock you are right next to a large shopping area. The tender dock use to be next to a great farmer's market set up. IMO, that was the best place we have ever shopped on a cruise. :)

In St. THomas if you are tendered they will drop you right off at the Main downtown area. If you dock you will have the Havensight mall available or plenty of taxis around waiting to take you to town. be sure to get back in plenty of time, traffic can be a bit of a hassle toward the end of the day.

Philipsburg, there is some shopping at the dock, but I too recommend using the all day water taxi to get to Front St. and enjoy the area. Not hard to do at all.

They opened up a new Crown Bay dock in St. Thomas last year so ships have not had to tender in a while. :) The Magic was stationed at the new dock, which doesn't have very much nearby, when it returned from the West coast last summer. Now it seems to have regained its place on the list in St. Thomas. :) We were scheduled to be at Crown Bay in December & expected to have to deal with the taxi hassles that were reported from Magic cruisers but were very pleased to see that we were at Havensite & didn't need a taxi at all.

Here is the site where you can see where your ship is going to dock.

http://www.vinow.com/general_usvi/cruiseship/cruise_2006/STT-Mar.php

DutchsMommy said:
I bet that was a sight! :lmao:

Ha! Didn't catch that one before I hit that submit button.

Although you know, nudity is the standard on the French beaches. I had no idea -- the driver dropped us off at one for an hour, and dang, there were lots of nekkid people, all shapes and sizes. Thankfully our little guy didn't notice, so we did not have too much explaining to do.

-Cathy

Rather be bared in St. Maarten than freezing in KY....

Cathymg2 said:
Rather be bared in St. Maarten than freezing in KY....

Now that sounds like a line for the tag fairy! :cool1: :thumbsup2

This is the little shopping area at St. Maarten. On the left side is the water taxi, so you can see you don't have far to go to the water taxi. The Phillipsburg shopping are is way off in the back of the pic.

efeb7bab.jpg

Thanks that photo is great! So to get to Philipsburg..its best to take the water taxi? Is it a long wait for the water taxi?

Thanks that photo is great! So to get to Philipsburg..its best to take the water taxi? Is it a long wait for the water taxi?

oops not sure how it posted twice. sorry!

When we got off the boat it was there waiting. When we returned we only waited 15 minutes or so. It may take up to 1/2 as a guess.

When we got off the ship and headed over we just bought our wristbands and got right on the water taxi. It left shortly after we boarded (1-2 mins). It could have been timing, but I don't think you would wait long if any. I think they have at least two going at a time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter