Ship capacity?

ha1264

Earning My Ears
We are leaving on our first Disney cruise 2/9 on the Magic. We have two rooms for 2 adults and 4 children. We called to add another child and they said ship is at capacity. Is there anything we can do or is that the final word?

Being so close to the cruise (only a few days out) it is probably the final word since everyone is paid in full and there will be few cancellations.

But, it can't hurt to keep calling. It sounds as if you have the space in your cabins but the problem is probably that the lifeboat station for your cabins is at capacity or the kids club is. So if by some chance someone who shares your lifeboat stations cancels in the next few days, that might work to your favor.

But that being said, I'm not sure what the rules are about adding a pax so close to the cruise. Someone else might be able to answer.

Have fun on the 9th!

Thanks, my wife called about 10 times over the weekend hoping for a cancelation...Told daughters 15 year old friend she could go before we checked to add her...big let down for her.

Just because a room CAN hold four people doesn't mean that DCL can sell that bed on each cruise. There are more beds onboard in guest staterooms than the maximum capacity for guests on the ship to allow flexibility with booking based on the number of guests on each reservation. There is a maximum number of rooms they can sell each cruise with 5 guests, 4 guests and 3 guests. Two other factors that are used to determine if a stateroom can hold an extra person is the muster station capacity, as well as if the maximum number of kids in each age group has been reached.

As far as when a person can book on the ship, that can only be done three days prior online, but you can call up to the night before to be added to a cruise.

Thanks, my wife called about 10 times over the weekend hoping for a cancelation...Told daughters 15 year old friend she could go before we checked to add her...big let down for her.

Harsh lesson learnt. :guilty:

Fingers crossed that by some miracle, someone cancels at the last minute.

We are on that sailing. I believe the dr will not release me for the trip. Our cabin is 6631 and we had 2 adults and 1child. Hope this can help.

Today I officially cancelled our cruise that leaves Saturday :( so bummed

No! Sorry to hear that, but hope you get better...

For OP, the problem is that with all the KSF, the clubs are at capacity. Muster stations maybe too..

Two other factors that are used to determine if a stateroom can hold an extra person is the muster station capacity...

If the problem is muster station capacity, how willing is DCL to allow the passenger to move to a different room in the same category that might have an open spot in its assigned lifeboat? Does it matter if the room was booked as an *GT?

I'm running into just this situation for an upcoming cruise. Cabin booked for 1 adult. Disney says they can add 1 more adult, but not 1 more adult and a child for a total of 2 adults 1 child. But, the website is offering staterooms for sale in the same category for 2 adults 1 child. My experience is that the website reflects realtime availability, so something offered on there really is available. "No child" answer was given before Disney knew age of child, so I don't think it's a particular age group being sold out that's the problem.

My suspicion is that the issue is that the lifeboat station is full. My experience also is that if the computer interface the agents use doesn't offer an automatic way to accomplish a task, some agents will just say "not possible" or make up a reason why it can't be done, while other agents that know better realize that there are things that can be done manually to accomplish certain things (assuming that no actual rules are broken, of course).

Advice?

If the room was booked as a GTY then no, you cannot request to have it moved. If it had been booked as a specific room then you could do so. When is your cruise? If it is before the PIF date, then you could cancel your reservation and make a new one with the 3 people you want to book.

When is your cruise?

In 3 days.

If the room was booked as a GTY then no, you cannot request to have it moved. If it had been booked as a specific room then you could do so.

Actually, it was a VGT. I fully understand the restrictions associated with the VGT discount rate, but I understand that Disney may from time to time move these to a different stateroom if it suites their needs, as opposed to because the guest wants it moved.

Since it's only 3 days before sailing, my thought was that there's a good chance that the cabins still for sale will go out empty. This being the case, perhaps it would "suit Disney's needs" to move the assigned VGT cabin to another one, in order to pick up an additional passenger fare. I could easily see how this function would not be built into the computer, and that some manual work would be required.

You can call and ask. Your other option is to book the other two people in a seperate room, perhaps an inside if that is an option as a *GT rate, then have all three stay in the verandah.

You can call and ask. Your other option is to book the other two people in a seperate room, perhaps an inside if that is an option as a *GT rate, then have all three stay in the verandah.

That raises an interesting question. Let's say that I did the above, and that the reason I can't book everyone in the VGT is because its lifeboat station is full. Will the cabin steward notice that the VGT room is being occupied in an over-capacity manner (not over-capacity for the room design, but only as to the lifeboat station and/or booked capacity for the room)? Obviously, the ship as a whole is not over capacity, and as long as the people booked in the inside room go to their assigned muster station during drill (and in the event of an actual emergency), there will be no problem. That being the case, will the cabin steward notice or care?

You may not been in the same area and may need to tip a different room steward. This should not be a problem. Disney doesn't care where each person sleeps and the room steward would likely not have an issue. Once again the tipping thing may be the only concern as there is no way to guarantee that the rooms you get will be near each other.

We did this on the fantasy in Sept- it was cheaper to put 1a2c in a family ocean view ( sleeps 4) and 1a1c in an inside stateroom down the hall. We all slept in the OV. we informed the CM when we went to separate muster stations, and no one had a problem. Since we didn't even open the door of the inside room we did take the auto gratuity off for that cabin steward and gave it to the one who took care of us all week.
Hth and it all works out

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter