• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sheraton Vistana- better/Worse rooms?

Here are my pics of Lakes section at the Vistana Resort, newly refurbished unit, taken Nov 2010. I've posted this link before, so maybe you've seen them already ... We had a two-bedroom unit with full kitchen, which we used extensively (my mom even baked two apple pies from scratch while we were there).

snot -- apparently this site doesn't like bit.ly .... Link should work now.

yes, i have seen those pics, thanks alot, very thuro, great quality, im glad they have a full kitchen it will be huge for saving $$$$, i know they have a sams club near there, is there a costco also, i dont have a sams club card???

where exactly is it located? I can't find that info- how big is the property? thx...

If you go to Redweek.com they have a map under the photos someone posted. Also I believe virtualtourist can do a googlemap of the entire resort.

Also: called the resort and the Palms and Courts sections are not remodeled.

yes, i have seen those pics, thanks alot, very thuro, great quality, im glad they have a full kitchen it will be huge for saving $$$$, i know they have a sams club near there, is there a costco also, i dont have a sams club card???

Costco is about nine or ten miles (15 to 20 minutes) from Vistana Resort. It's located just off Orange Blossom Trail near the intersection with Central Florida Parkway. From Vistana, you'd probably take SR 417 (it's a toll road, so you'll probably need change at the exit) going east. I think that OBT is either exit 10 or 11. Then you'd turn left onto OBT going north for about two miles. The Costco is on the left.

Dick Taylor

There's a Wal-Mart real close. I can't imagine you'd need Sam's or Costco quantities for a week at the Mouse. ;)

there is going to be 7-9 of us and we wanted to get like french bread pizzas and bagel bites or something, plus juice and alcohol at Costco is really cheap:thumbsup2

Ohh, good point. Sam's doesn't sell alcohol here so I didn't think of that. I had visions of 2-gallon jugs of ketchup and 300-packs of Solo cups. LOL

I booked my trip a few months ago through Costco. Please don’t laugh!

We have a 7-night two-bedroom unit at the Villages. Included is a $140 resort credit; 5-day Hopper tix for 4 adults; 4 Universal Studios 2-park tix and transportation to and from all Disney Parks including "private" trans to and from MCO, so they say. Oh, and 20% off all purchases at the Villages and a pin and lanyard set, whatever that is. Cost was $2,650 for the four of us. I have no idea if that’s a good or bad deal but it was easy to book and seemed like a good deal at the time.

I have several questions. If anyone can answer any of them, I’d really appreciate it:

- Has anyone ever booked a similar trip thru Costco? If so, can you request a specific room?

- Transportation to all parks is provided in this package but we also rented a car. I was thinking of cancelling the car since a Sheraton shuttle is included w/this package. The car would cost about $500.00 when you throw in Disney parking, etc, for the 8 days. But I have read horror stories about the shuttle service so I’m not sure whether to keep the car for the additional $500 and I’m not rich.

- Is the Villages shuttle sufficient? Are the shuttle times decent or does it take forever to go and come from the Disney Parks?

- My daughter and her friend want to go to the Water parks too. Where should I purchase tickets for them as they’re not included in our package?

- Does the breakfast place at the Villages have a decent breakfast or should we go to Publix and buy eggs and stuff?

- I’m an early bird and love to swim - is there a pool for swimmers open real early in the morning?

- We plan to go to a few restaurants on the strip in addition to eating at Disney parks for dinner for which we’ve already made reservations. I was thinking of buying four weekly I-Ride Trolley passes for our party in lieu of a car. Is that a waste or a good idea?

Appreciate any help.

Vince

So we are staying at my bosses time share-he own 2 weeks at Sheraton Vistana in the Fountains II. We requested at the time of booking & more recently by fax that we stay in the same unit for the 2 weeks-they booked us under 2 separate reservations. I can't imagine having to move to another unit after the 1st week!! Does it matter what time we check in since he is an owner? We will get the Fountains II room right? Also, are there towels in the units? Are the shuttles to Disney worthwhile or should we drive? What kind of good shopping is near by? I've also heard that they bug the heck out of you to go to the meetings for buying timeshares-they won't bug us since we are renting an owned unit right?

Sorry-never rented a time share before!

@vdwrrw - Towels and kitchen supplies (utensils, dishes, pots & pans) are there for you. Housekeeping will check in on you mid-week, but you can request daily cleaning for an extra fee.

For shopping, if you mean groceries, there is a Super Wal-Mart pretty close. The resort is very very large, so I wouldn't say any external shopping or restaurants are within walking distance.

time of booking & more recently by fax that we stay in the same unit for the 2 weeks-they booked us under 2 separate reservations. I can't imagine having to move to another unit after the 1st week!! Does it matter what time we check in since he is an owner? We will get the Fountains II room right? Also, are there towels in the units? Are the shuttles to Disney worthwhile or should we drive? What kind of good shopping is near by? I've also heard that they bug the heck out of you to go to the meetings for buying timeshares-they won't bug us since we are renting an owned unit right?

hopefully you won't have to move. no guarantees you may. would check in early if possible - because you don't want to change rooms. Yes you should be in FountainsII - but if they are working on your building (his really) then you will be in another building. You won't know until you arrive.

there is a wendy's, chick n lay, and a couple that I don't remember.

there are outlet mall not far - you need to drive to one - but the other has a shuttle
http://www.lbvfs.com/Orlando-Outlet-Free-Shuttle.cfm

don't take the disney shuttles - no one getting off seemed too happy.

remember for the mk one you need to allow at least an hour if not an hour and half to get to the park.

you will wait in line in your car to get in the parking lot. after you park your car walk to the end of drive and wait for the tram to take you to TTC, then you need to take the monrail or ferry to the MK. It takes alot of time.

epcot, studio, ak you can drive to and be in the parks in 10 minutes. maybe more for ak.

don't give them to opportunity. first refuse to participate in their sales meeting (it is generally called something else - but you a non-member should not have to go to any meeting)

don't answer the phone. bring your cell phone and give your relativies and friends that number to call you if there are problems.

Some people even unplug their unit phone when they enter the villa. It's not a a terrible idea if you'll be in the condo during the day.

We have a 7-night two-bedroom unit at the Villages. Included is a $140 resort credit; 5-day Hopper tix for 4 adults; 4 Universal Studios 2-park tix and transportation to and from all Disney Parks including "private" trans to and from MCO, so they say. Oh, and 20% off all purchases at the Villages and a pin and lanyard set, whatever that is. Cost was $2,650 for the four of us. I have no idea if that’s a good or bad deal but it was easy to book and seemed like a good deal at the time.

Is that including air transportation? Sound like a good deal if yes.

Pin and lanyard - warning, highly addictive! Disney pin trading is the drug of choice for Disneyites. They get you hooked on just one little pin, and before you know it, it's buy, buy, buy, trade, trade, trade. Sorry, DW is a HEAVY pin trader; she loves it, and I love it 'cause it keeps her happy! There's a pin trading forum here if you want to look at a few.

I have several questions. If anyone can answer any of them, I’d really appreciate it:

- Has anyone ever booked a similar trip thru Costco? If so, can you request a specific room?

Not me, never seen this at Costco Canada.

- Transportation to all parks is provided in this package but we also rented a car. I was thinking of cancelling the car since a Sheraton shuttle is included w/this package. The car would cost about $500.00 when you throw in Disney parking, etc, for the 8 days. But I have read horror stories about the shuttle service so I’m not sure whether to keep the car for the additional $500 and I’m not rich.
- Is the Villages shuttle sufficient? Are the shuttle times decent or does it take forever to go and come from the Disney Parks?

I'd probably keep the car. Orlando is a car town, very spread out. The shuttle is slow, multiple stops, and can turn the 5-10 minute ride into an hour. On the plus side, you get it free; must be a deal with Costco, as they have been charging riders for a few years now. What makes most riders unhappy is that for a family of 4 they are paying more to shuttle than they would to rent and drive. Car adds much flexibility for time at parks, (remember Disney parking is pay once, park all day, all lots). Also easy to get to the shopping.

- My daughter and her friend want to go to the Water parks too. Where should I purchase tickets for them as they’re not included in our package?

Upgrade your Disney tickets to the "and more" at any Disney park site. The trick is to visit AND ENTER your first park before going to the upgrade window. This first visit locks in the price paid for the ticket, then you just pay the "and more" upgrade price. Can be done any day of your visit (within 14 days of first use). See ticketing forum here for more information.

- Does the breakfast place at the Villages have a decent breakfast or should we go to Publix and buy eggs and stuff?
Never ate there, we always make breakfast in the unit. BTW, you WILL be invited to a breakfast presentation with an offer of discounts or a welcome package. Do not under ANY circumstance accept and attend this 2 hour waste of time. You do not want to buy a TS unit from the developer under any circumstances. If you really like it, buy one resale for 20% or less of the developer cost (that's what we did, stayed at Villages, but bought at Resort).

- I’m an early bird and love to swim - is there a pool for swimmers open real early in the morning?
As I recall, only two pools at the resort, and we only used the main one. It's only okay for lapping as it is free form with a very shallow shallow end. I seem to recall the other pool looking more conventional on the map. Think they open 8:00 - 10:00, but I don't think it is heavily enforced.

- We plan to go to a few restaurants on the strip in addition to eating at Disney parks for dinner for which we’ve already made reservations. I was thinking of buying four weekly I-Ride Trolley passes for our party in lieu of a car. Is that a waste or a good idea?
Not sure, we always have a car. A car will open up better restaurant options on Sand Lake West, or allow dining at Downtown Disney. Also much easier to get groceries home from Publix (on the route) or other options (Super Walmart, Target, Whole Foods), not on the trolly route.

Hope that helps!
M Ross

So we are staying at my bosses time share-he own 2 weeks at Sheraton Vistana in the Fountains II. We requested at the time of booking & more recently by fax that we stay in the same unit for the 2 weeks-they booked us under 2 separate reservations. I can't imagine having to move to another unit after the 1st week!! Does it matter what time we check in since he is an owner? We will get the Fountains II room right? Also, are there towels in the units? Are the shuttles to Disney worthwhile or should we drive? What kind of good shopping is near by? I've also heard that they bug the heck out of you to go to the meetings for buying timeshares-they won't bug us since we are renting an owned unit right?

Most questions have already been answered, but I'll add a few extra points.

Vistana is pretty good about arranging to keep you in the same unit. It would be highly unusual for you to have to move. Advantage to checking in early is you beat the rush. Actual check-in is after 2:00 but our flight usually gets us to the resort between 12:00-1:00. We've always been able to get straight in, but YMMV. If he owns Fountains II, that's where you are. Depending on what you like, there are better sections at the resort though (IMO); several of those FII buildings are a bit close to I-4, request a unit that backs onto the pond if you can, that keeps you away from I-4.

Towels, yes. But they are a bit cheap on the dishwasher deterg and there is no laundy soap provided. We bring these from home (use the pucks and the new washing machine sheets for convenience). Also, bring coffee filters! We've forgotten twice now, and I HATE buying a pkg of 400 filters for a week's worth of coffee! Also, they provide soap but don't provide the little shampoos etc that you would get in a hotel so bring your own shampoo. Nice stereo in the unit, but I bring cables for my MP3 player (Sansa, not iPod) so I have all my music.

Shuttles - NO! nuff said.

Presentation - NO! Politely at first, but then with more vigor. See my post above about buying resale if you REALLY like it there. We do, and did!

Shopping - groceries. Publix is nearby, excellent selection, lots of prepared meals. Whole Foods at Turkey Lake and Sand Lake (15 min) if you have any food allergies, are vegan, insist on organic, or just like spending too much for groceries. A couple of more grocery stores along 535 near the Crossroads other side of I-4, also a good sized ABC Liquor Store there. Target on Irlo Bronson and a couple of Walmarts nearby, Costco too, but haven't been there. Shopping shopping. Premium Outlet around the corner across from Publix - excellent! We intended to hit a couple of Outlet malls one day and never left this one. Premium Outlets further up I-Drive is also good I hear. A couple of good conventional malls in the area as well.

Dining - you didn't ask, but don't forget to check out some of the great restaurants in the area outside of Disney Dining. Our current fav's are Seasons 52 and Cantina Laredo along Sand Lake West.

Relax, have fun, and enjoy yourself!

We did an exchange through RCI, are checking in on a Sunday, 1 br (4/4) with full kitchen. From what I have read only the Lakes and Cascades sections have 1 br units.

Here is a section in the Lakes with Sunday check-in

Sheraton-Vistana-Lakes-SundayCheckIn.jpg

Here are the Cascades with Sunday check-in

Sheraton-Vistana-Cascades-SundayCheckIn.jpg

I would really prefer the Lakes section I have circled in red as it looks like it would be a little quieter being away from the pools and although is close some main roads is not right up against them. How would I go about wording my request on the online Diamond Lane check-in form? I would like to keep it short and sweet so to stay, like "Lakes section, upper floor, lake view" or something like that. Don't want to be near the pools, etc. It will just be me and DH and the room will mainly be for sleeping and a little relaxing here and there, but mostly we will be away at the parks or DTD.

Good news at least is both the Lakes and Cascades are done being renovated from what I understand, so at least I have that going for me.

Do the kitchen's have toaters? Planning to bring bagels, pop tarts and items like that for fast breakfast in the morning. I already have the nearest grocery stores and restaurants mapped out as well as the very close starbucks that will become my new best friend on our vacation :goodvibes

I would really prefer the Lakes section I have circled in red as it looks like it would be a little quieter being away from the pools and although is close some main roads is not right up against them. How would I go about wording my request on the online Diamond Lane check-in form?

Good news at least is both the Lakes and Cascades are done being renovated from what I understand, so at least I have that going for me.

Do the kitchen's have toasters? Planning to bring bagels, pop tarts and items like that for fast breakfast in the morning. I already have the nearest grocery stores and restaurants mapped out as well as the very close starbucks that will become my new best friend on our vacation :goodvibes

I would say that Lakes is probably the better bet, pretty sure it is far enough from I-4 to not be a problem. The farthest right Cascades in the photo is very recently completed (was under const when we were last there in March), but it is close to S Apopka-Vineland, fairly busy road. The other two Cascades are on the main through street of the resort; parking is a bit tight, but not really that noisy after dark.

Starbucks is served at the deli inside the resort (brewed coffees, not the fancy stuff), so you may like that news even better. There are toasters - if yours has gone missing, just call the desk, you'll be fixed up within an hour. Closest grocery is Publix on Vineland at I-Drive - really nice clean store. Walgreen's right outside the resort.

Have a great vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter