Sharing a bed…yay or nay?

I don’t really want to share a ROOM with anyone other than DH, much less a bed!!
I thought I was just weird, but I see I am in good company:).

(As an aside, I may wind up attending an xmas party solo because (I think) my sister doesn’t want to pay for her own room and doesn’t want to crash with me. Of course, I don’t really want her to crash with me, but she’s related, so I’d allow it.)

I'm just back from a 4 night girls trip to Nashville where 4 of us slept in the same room and shared 2 queen beds and 1 bathroom. No issues at all! We're all mid 30s - everyone slept great. I was the MVP for bringing my sound machine 😂

I won't even share a bed with my wife unless it's a King.
This! If I was under 20/21 maybe share a bed. Otherwise I barely want to share a bathroom let alone a bed unless it’s immediate family. 4 woman with 1 bathroom and all the luggage/ makeup/ hair supplies? Hard no. The only way this would work is if you could find a 2 bedroom suite. I think Marriott Townplace does that. Otherwise there will barely be enough room for 4 regular size pieces of luggage in a standard hotel room.

Is it 2 full or queens? I couldn’t share a bed comfortably unless it was my husband. Maybe my mom, sister or best friend if it was a king bed. But the bathroom situation would be my breaking point.

We went to Vermont last year and at Marriott Townplace they upgraded our 1 bedroom king suite to 2 bedroom queen suite. My husband slept in one bedroom and I slept in the other. No way were we cramping in a queen on vacation. And we had great night sleep.

Last edited:
This is so individual! I can fall asleep and stay asleep 'most anywhere, especially with a sound machine and after walking around all day, like at WDW. I've shared a bed with other adult women on church summer camp trips as chaperones, missions trips, fun girls' weekends, distant wedding weekends, work-related conferences... most of these were for ~4 nights with a couple for a week. We all knew about the arrangements ahead of time and agreed to the terms so that probably accounts for it going so well every time. Morning larks showered in the mornings, night owls showered in the evenings, anyone wanting a long shower/bath took theirs last, after everyone else was done... everyone respects one another's space and needs for quiet when in the room, taking conversation/phone calls out of the room during quiet hours. These things were discussed ahead of time and prevented misunderstandings later.

When I've travelled with my DD's family, I've shared a 2 full size beds with their 3 young kids. We all still got a good night's sleep, even with a wiggly little one next to me, ha, ha. My sister, OTOH, has always been a very light sleeper. She simply cannot get a good night's rest if she's sharing the same room with someone else who makes any noise at all. Even someone calmly walking down a hotel hallway or flushing a toilet in the room above or besides hers will disturb her sleep and then she lies awake for an hour or more afterward. Sharing a room at all is just truly not a reasonable plan for her.

It's your trip and you're planning to travel with other adults. So communicate your wants and needs with them. Give them a chance to think about it and respond. You may be surprised at what you all can come up with together, to please everyone.

What about a suite at All Star Music or Art of Animation? They have more sleeping surfaces and two bathrooms. I admit, I've never stayed at either so I have no idea how comfortable the sleeping surfaces would be.

What about a suite at All Star Music or Art of Animation? They have more sleeping surfaces and two bathrooms. I admit, I've never stayed at either so I have no idea how comfortable the sleeping surfaces would be.
I have stayed in one at AoA, and the regular bed was a little too firm for me, the Murphy bed was just right, and we won’t discuss the sofa bed. But for the price of the suite, you could probably get two Pop rooms, where all the beds are comfy and still have two bathrooms.

I've shared a room and a bed on friends trip to Disney before. It wasn't a big deal, but it's best to have the discussion ahead of time of room/bed sharing so that everyone is on the same page. A room that sleeps 5 or a family suite might be an option. On our 2018 trip we originally had 5 people going and we were booked at YC. The 5th person changed her mind (unrelated to the sleeping arrangements), so in theory we didn't NEED to use the sofa bed. That being said, one of our group isn't a fan of bed sharing so she slept on the sofa bed and the 3 of us split the other 2 beds.

Be transparent with your friends about your desire to not share a bed so that you can all make an informed decision about what will be best for your trip.

I’d let them know you are not willing to share a bed ASAP so you all can talk about that topic ASAP as this will influence the cost of the trip. Everyone being happy with the lodgings is key. I’ve travelled in mixed family and friend groups some and really, having everyone on the same page with where they are sleeping has been the key to happy trips. Those little differences groups experience are so much easier to tolerate when you can sleep at night!

I just got back from four nights with my best friend. We stayed in the gorgeous GFV resort studio and I didn't sleep a wink all week, and we had our own Queen beds. No way could I share a bed with anyone I don't LOVE at this age! After this trip, I'd be hesitant to even share a ROOM!

Three things I don’t share
Bed
Chocolate
My Books
Otherwise I share - but the other 3 ah nope - buy your own - I wound not let my kids sleep with me either - I told them - I bought you a bed - use it !
I’ll buy you your own chocolate or book but please don’t ask for some of mine or to borrow my books

To the OP: I realize your question isn't really "can 4 adults reasonably share 1 room" and instead is "is it rude to bring it up?" To that, it is absolutely not rude to talk about this. It is a normal detail in the planning process that everyone needs to discuss.

I did a girls trip 3 years ago with 4 of us in our 50's. We've been friends for about 20 yrs and are pretty close. I was the coordinator of the trip and told them we could do 2 rooms at Port Orleans or 1 room at Yacht club (budget was a concern for 2 in our party). Everyone chose 1 room at Yacht club. We had such a blast and so many laughs. The extra space on the balcony was welcome so some of us could wait out there with a cocktail or coffee while others got ready, then switch off. The bed situation didn't bother any of us. If it bothers you that much, I would bring it up, as you don't want to be miserable. But given how much fun we had, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

No way I would even consider sharing a hotel room with anyone who is not in my immediate family.

I think age does make a difference as well as finances. Traveled with 3 friends for the past 40 years and for the longest time we shared one room, but starting in my 40s, when finances were definitely not an issue any longer, refused and actually started getting my own room and the 3 of them continued to share until finally one of my friends asked if we could share a room and now that's the norm....2 rooms instead of 1. I think you just have to ask the group and especially if you are aware of their financial situations, that would make it easier to recommend or not.

That doesn’t sound comfortable to me! I’m going with 3 girlfriends and we are staying in a DVC studio at the Polynesian for this reason. 3 beds and 2 bathrooms for 4 women. Much better than 2 beds and 1 bathroom. Discuss with your group and see what the budget is.

Would you rather pay extra, so you could have your own bed, or share?

I think my group of girlfriends and I are going to take a girls trip to WDW. I personally am not very good at sharing beds with people…I move around a lot and I also can’t sleep well if I feel other people move around.

Would it be rude to ask if we could all have our own bed? I worry they might not go for it, since of course we can save money if there’s like, 4 of us in a room, compared to 2. But I also don’t think 4 of us could effectively share one bathroom. Lol.
I'd bring it up and then offer and be prepared to pay for for your own room (which to me sounds even better lol.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter