Share your story from visiting DHS’ SWGE!

Was anyone else underwhelmed by Galaxy's Edge? To me it certainly didn't live up to the hype. It had a cramped feel to it and seemed awfully small. Also, via my last post above, I wasn't overly impressed with Smuggler's Run.

Was anyone else underwhelmed by Galaxy's Edge? To me it certainly didn't live up to the hype. It had a cramped feel to it and seemed awfully small. Also, via my last post above, I wasn't overly impressed with Smuggler's Run.
If you read this thread you can see some people were underwhelmed but to be honest, this is the first post where someone says it feels small.

Yeah, I was actually surprised it seemed spacious with areas to just roam around. I was, however, surprised at the location of the milk stand, I had thought it was going to be out in the "middle" of a walkway, but was tucked away to the side a bit, and I had to go searching for it after getting turned around a bit.

The only way I could see a person feeling like it's small, is if they walked in from Toy Story Land and then back out to Toy Story Land without going all the way over by the other entrance/exit. Otherwise, this take is pretty difficult for me to understand.

Well, thinking of it as a theme park land, it’s huge. Thinking of it as being Black Spire Outpost, it’s tiny. The “real” BSO would have many, many more shops, plus apartments, an actual spaceport, etc etc. I think Diagon Alley over at Universal sells the scale better- while it’s still a tiny portion of what the “real” one would be, the false storefronts and layout help make it seem bigger and more real than it is.

We went to GE last week (Thursday), and I had the opposite reaction -- the land felt really big to me! We entered through TSL before dawn, rode MF twice, had a drink at Oga's, then wandered toward the other exit. I didn't really register how immersive the land felt until we emerged out of it and suddenly felt like we were in a totally different world.

I'm not a huge Star Wars person (I like the movies, but to me they're pleasant, not wonderful), so I was surprised at how much I liked GE. We walked through a few more times over the course of our day, but didn't really end up having time to just wander/explore before the weather became miserably hot. I think in better weather, we'd have had a very nice time there.

One tiny detail that I thought was really great is that they have, in addition to water fountains, water bottle fillers around GE. I spotted one in the walkway to exit MF, and another somewhere else in the land ( can't tell you exactly where, geography is not my strong suit. But IIRC, I saw it on my right as we were walking from the TSL entrance to the front entrance, nearish the Droid building shop).

We saw Rey and another character (possibly Finn?) walking around. It was interesting to see how thoroughly they managed not to notice anyone else around them -- they didn't stop for photos or to talk to anyone, they just remained deep in conversation as they walked. That is not, by the way, a complaint -- I assume the point of their presence is to add to the immersive feel of the land, and it would have been ruined if they'd all of a sudden started posing for photos.

Ok... This may be a bit lengthy but let's get to it!

I finally visited Batuu twice during my recent trip. I will say I wanted to spend even more time there but with the race weekend obligations it can be hard to get as much as you want done.

APC_0187 2.JPG

I also want to add that I am a younger Star Wars fan. I got into SW later in my life and I am a big fan of the new trilogy. As all of you know I have been following this since the beginning. I knew everything there was to know about this land and then some. I am going to say nothing surprised me because of that except maybe one thing.

APC_0195.JPG

APC_0201.JPG

Starting with the land itself: This was my surprise. Photos and video don't necessarily do this justice. I found the land to be larger and more expansive in person than from photos and video. I loved the detail and the look of the land. I thought the land worked with the sounds it has too. I know some have been critical about the lack of music maybe. I didn't get much of a chance to use the data pad aspects as I really wanted to take in the land this time around. I plan to do more of this in January.

IMG_6216.jpg

Smugglers Run: I got lucky and was right pilot on my first trip. I loved the queue as I waited in the regular line this first go around rather than single rider. Hondo is great. The chess room is awesome. The ride itself is fun and enjoyable however I can see where peoples frustration comes in. Also I think maybe the movement could be a bit more intense than it is. I definitely want to ride again and try each position and better my score. I also can understand how maybe random missions would take this ride to the next level too.

IMG_6261.jpg

Food and Beverage: I didn't get a chance to go to Docking Bay 7 however did do Oga's and Ronto Roasters. I got a Ronto Wrap and loved it. Definitely would get it again. At Oga's I only got one drink and that was the Yub Nub. I thought it was great. We sat stood right at the bar. Yes its crowded but it was so much fun with the interaction of the cast and Rex. I love my new mug too. I also have a coke bottle.

IMG_6523.jpg

IMG_6515.jpg

Merchandise: I didn't buy anything in Dok Ondar's but that AA is incredible. I built a droid. R5-D8 is blue and black. I loved building my droid. The cast was a ton of fun inside. I have a saber reservation for January.

IMG_6260.jpg

IMG_6233.jpg

All in all this land is great. I can't wait to go back and see RotR and other things I didn't do.

Ok... This may be a bit lengthy but let's get to it!

I finally visited Batuu twice during my recent trip. I will say I wanted to spend even more time there but with the race weekend obligations it can be hard to get as much as you want done.

View attachment 450527

I also want to add that I am a younger Star Wars fan. I got into SW later in my life and I am a big fan of the new trilogy. As all of you know I have been following this since the beginning. I knew everything there was to know about this land and then some. I am going to say nothing surprised me because of that except maybe one thing.

View attachment 450528

View attachment 450529

Starting with the land itself: This was my surprise. Photos and video don't necessarily do this justice. I found the land to be larger and more expansive in person than from photos and video. I loved the detail and the look of the land. I thought the land worked with the sounds it has too. I know some have been critical about the lack of music maybe. I didn't get much of a chance to use the data pad aspects as I really wanted to take in the land this time around. I plan to do more of this in January.

View attachment 450521

Smugglers Run: I got lucky and was right pilot on my first trip. I loved the queue as I waited in the regular line this first go around rather than single rider. Hondo is great. The chess room is awesome. The ride itself is fun and enjoyable however I can see where peoples frustration comes in. Also I think maybe the movement could be a bit more intense than it is. I definitely want to ride again and try each position and better my score. I also can understand how maybe random missions would take this ride to the next level too.

View attachment 450524

Food and Beverage: I didn't get a chance to go to Docking Bay 7 however did do Oga's and Ronto Roasters. I got a Ronto Wrap and loved it. Definitely would get it again. At Oga's I only got one drink and that was the Yub Nub. I thought it was great. We sat stood right at the bar. Yes its crowded but it was so much fun with the interaction of the cast and Rex. I love my new mug too. I also have a coke bottle.

View attachment 450526

View attachment 450525

Merchandise: I didn't buy anything in Dok Ondar's but that AA is incredible. I built a droid. R5-D8 is blue and black. I loved building my droid. The cast was a ton of fun inside. I have a saber reservation for January.

View attachment 450523

View attachment 450522

All in all this land is great. I can't wait to go back and see RotR and other things I didn't do.
Great report ...

Definitely cant wait for Rise of the Resistance and trying to figure out a good time to go back and visit next year to do that. (I opted out of a final trip with my AP so I haven't gotten a second trip to SWGE yet).

In short, I love Galaxy’s Edge.

I’m surprised that anyone would think it felt small and cramped because I thought the wide walkways and overall size are some of the area’s strengths. I have only been there in the morning before 10:30 and after 5 PM so maybe it gets cramped in the middle of the day, but that seems unavoidable.

Smuggler’s Run is fun, though I’m not sure how much influence the crew’s performance has on the experience. I rode 4 times on 4 different days and the score never varied too much even when I was a gunner on a flight with a pint sized left pilot who didn’t do much of anything. I was lucky enough to be a pilot twice and that clearly makes it the most fun.

I also enjoyed the shops with the unique merchandise. We’re learning how to play Sabacc now. Looking forward to trying the new ride over Marathon Weekend.

Went to DHS yesterday and DW and I visited the new Star Wars Land for the first time. The land is definitely massive and immersive. It absolutely should be Tatooine... but that's fine.

The wait for Smuggler's Run was listed as 50 minutes. We were on the ride within ~40 min. I'm not sure what the capacity for this ride is, but I thought it interesting that we could ride it without a terrible wait.

After riding it, I was generally not very impressed. DW even less impressed. I haven't read up on reviews at all for this attraction, I kind of just like to experience it myself. Just curious if this is a typical response.

I think the ride itself could be impacted by the other people on your ship. The pilots on ours appeared to be terrible at controlling the ship. On balance I enjoy POTC better than this, and that really surprised me.

Went to DHS yesterday and DW and I visited the new Star Wars Land for the first time. The land is definitely massive and immersive. It absolutely should be Tatooine... but that's fine.

The wait for Smuggler's Run was listed as 50 minutes. We were on the ride within ~40 min. I'm not sure what the capacity for this ride is, but I thought it interesting that we could ride it without a terrible wait.

After riding it, I was generally not very impressed. DW even less impressed. I haven't read up on reviews at all for this attraction, I kind of just like to experience it myself. Just curious if this is a typical response.

I think the ride itself could be impacted by the other people on your ship. The pilots on ours appeared to be terrible at controlling the ship. On balance I enjoy POTC better than this, and that really surprised me.

I don't know about "typical" but you're definitely not alone.

DW and I visited at DLR last week with the same thoughts.

Very disappointed in Oga's, it's pretty much just a bar. Maybe DLR is different but we felt there was very little immersion. Didn't help that a 6'0 Chewie was walking around or that CM's broke character. Feel like there should be more non-human CM's walking around and interacting with each other.

DW and I visited at DLR last week with the same thoughts.

Very disappointed in Oga's, it's pretty much just a bar. Maybe DLR is different but we felt there was very little immersion. Didn't help that a 6'0 Chewie was walking around or that CM's broke character. Feel like there should be more non-human CM's walking around and interacting with each other.
DLR isn’t different Than DHS. Oga's was always supposed to be just a bar. Mos Eisley is also just a bar.

Visited 10/29/19 - late afternoon/early evening (see below)

Took photos with PP photogs...then headed to Smuggler's Run. It was approximately 5:15 pm....there was a 25 min wait listed, so we got in line. Got on the ride. Got off the ride. Line listed at 15 mins....so we got back in line, and rode again. Rode twice in less than an hour....

Impression: It was ok. Bear in mind we're not SW fanatics (lol).....and I suffer from Motion Sickness (But that said, it didn't bother me at all).....unfortunately, the only position they gave us was Engineer (both times). On the 2nd pass, we got a young lady (perhaps 15/16) as one of the pilots. She was running into everything possible....lol...so I made light of the situation...stating that this would be the last time that we took UBER anywhere. Her friends were cracking up, and joined in on the ribbing. :)

Would I ride it again? Yes, absolutely. I think we just got lucky on the wait times based on time of day (basically dinner time)....

I will not say that the area is small, but it's definitely not as large as they make it sound. The shops were fun, and the photo ops/scenery were great.

Ok ,i visited on the last say of the extra extra gours and got to the land about 9 ish. No wait for smugglers run, i was an engineer? And was underwelmed with the ride. Star tours was more enjoyable. The ride from the back seat isnt great, with the butons on the side and the smaller screans in the front ot made for bla experiance. The land itself was beautiful done and the amout of detail was excellent. One problem i had was all the doors, not much was marked and it was confusing to find stuff. Additionally, the not breaking of character was good for the adults but really bad for children. I saw a small girl 5 or 6 run up to a storm trooper and try to hug him. The troopers put out there hand and told the girl to stop and step back. She was cunfused and almost crying looking back to her parents. Not exactly a disney moment. Unfortunately, they market cartoons to kids , market the parks for the kids but didn't have the wherewithall to include reactions from kids in the land. It is cool, and probably more so for the die hards but its not kid freindly and i expected more from the ride.

Ok ,i visited on the last say of the extra extra gours and got to the land about 9 ish. No wait for smugglers run, i was an engineer? And was underwelmed with the ride. Star tours was more enjoyable. The ride from the back seat isnt great, with the butons on the side and the smaller screans in the front ot made for bla experiance. The land itself was beautiful done and the amout of detail was excellent. One problem i had was all the doors, not much was marked and it was confusing to find stuff. Additionally, the not breaking of character was good for the adults but really bad for children. I saw a small girl 5 or 6 run up to a storm trooper and try to hug him. The troopers put out there hand and told the girl to stop and step back. She was cunfused and almost crying looking back to her parents. Not exactly a disney moment. Unfortunately, they market cartoons to kids , market the parks for the kids but didn't have the wherewithall to include reactions from kids in the land. It is cool, and probably more so for the die hards but its not kid freindly and i expected more from the ride.
SW characters in the parks have always stayed in character. Back when Star Wars Weekends was an annual event Aurra Sing, Boba Fett, Darth Maul and the other "bad guys" would not break character even with a crying/scared person in front of them. If you go visit Vader now he will also deny a hug

Maybe her parents should have explained these are not the friendly clone troopers like in the Clone Wars show, which is probably where she got the idea that they are friendly, but that they are the mean guys from the new movies...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!