Share funny DCL experiences here..

Mickeyhugger

DIS Veteran
I just saw a thread a few minutes ago w/the phrase 'swimsuit optional'. It then stirred a FUNNY memory from our 1st DCL vacation:hyper: two years ago.

The night before we were to dock in St. Maarten, we saw the DCL info channel regarding the beaches. It mentioned a few that were 'swimsuit optional.' I thought nothing of it (OK! I didn't know what it meant!) until DH said, "Wooo. That means topless.' I thought 'yeah right'. (I've only been to beaches in FL, SC and CA.) Fastforward to the next day. We asked the cabdriver to take us to a FAMILY beach (7 yo DD was w/us, and of course we wanted no part of topless beaches.)

No sooner did we set foot on Orient beach and VOILA! DH came up to me and whispered in my ear, 'OMG, there's a woman over there w/no top on wearing a thong." What made it so funny was his sly grin and DD yelling out LOUD, "Mommy, that lady doesn't have a swimsuit top on, neither does that one, or THAT one!" She was pointing too! I was trying to keep my cool, was shocked, and at the same time, trying to keep from laughing myself! Like any 7-year old girl, she was covering her mouth giggling, and DH and I were beet red trying to keep a straight face. We high-tailed it out of there but were laughing like crazy on the inside. Not at the nude sunbathers, but trying to be nonchalant to our DD. We DID explain to her that some French people sunbathe topless, etc.)

Anyone else want to share funny, humbling memories about your children (or anyone) on DCL? :teeth: :hyper: :tongue:

OK,

An obviously intoxicated woman undressed and got in the hot tub naked (fortunately this was late). After deciding to get out, she couldn't remember where her clothes were (she accused the teens hanging out with removing them), still wandering around in the buff looking for her garbs. Friends of the woman found her, (and fortunately she found some towels in the meantime). They had to call the husband (asleep in their cabin) to bring clothes.

Don't know if the scene that erupted when he got there was better or worse than the former.

On my first cruise, I went to take a shower after leaving CC. I was washing my hair and suddenly realized the water coming out of the tap was a certain shade of yellow! I screamed and my DH came running. I was really freaking out, but didn't think to capture some of the 'water'. DH called maintenance and they came (after I hurried and got dressed) They checked it out and took the glass my DH had filled. It wasn't as bright yellow as it had been at first, so it didn't look as bad as it really was. They said they would get back to us and did that night, telling us that it was a problem with the plumbing being rusty and after most people being off the ship all day we got more in that shower. Whew! I thought the obvious, and was so relieved it was just rusty water. They checked the glass and said there was nothing in it that could be dangerous. I ALWAYS check the water now before I get in and every few minutes after that. Weird!!!

My husband & I were relaxing in the hot tub on Castaway Cay day--the entire adult pool area was deserted. It started to cloud up and rain, and we congratulated ourselves in being on the ship rather than fighting the crowd who were now starting to head for the ship from the island. We were joined by a very nice guy who was also commenting on how lucky he was to have come back early--his family was probably getting soaked on their way back.

We noticed some lightning in the distance, and one of us commented on whether or not it was dangerous to be in the hot tub while there was lightning nearby. We decided that were okay. All of a sudden we were startled by a very loud clap of thunder. The two men pretty much shoved me aside in their hurry to get out of the water! We were laughing so hard as we grabbed our towels. Apparently, God had not agreed that we were safe in that hot tub and decided to make His vote heard. I suspect that we three hold the ship record for fastest time vacating the hot tub!

We were once one of those couples trying to get back to the ship after getting caught at Serenity Bay by a sudden storm. Everyone took cover at the tables at Cookies BBQ until a tram could make it to pick everyone up.

What was really funny was the story that night at dinner from one of our table mates who happened to be getting a cabana massage when the storm came. He kept describing how each time the thunder clapped, the masouse kept tensing up and massaging him a little too vigorously until things started blowing into the cabana and they both decided it was time to vamous.

On our very first cruise, we had just gotten on the ship, headed up to Deck 9 to the buffet, and as we were walking along I was telling my kids all of the safety "Do's and Don'ts". I was lecturing them about not leaning over the railings, no running on deck, everything I could think of.
I turned around and said "Are you listening to me?? I'm just telling you this because I don't want you to get hurt!" and as I turned back around....BAM! I ran right into a post! A gentleman sitting nearby could hardly contain his laughter, and my family members didn't even TRY to contain THEIRS!!

:blush: :laughing:

This has been shared before in my trip report from our first cruise last August. During our day at CC my DD and I did the Banana Boat Ride excursion, I forgot to take my glasses off and on the way back to the beach our banana boat was flipped and we all wound up in the ocean. My glasses to this day are still on the ocean floor. The problem was I didn't have a spare pair of glasses with me, and without my glasses I can't see two feet in front of me. Luckily this was the last day of the cruise and we would be flying home on Saturday afternoon. When we arrived at MCO, I needed to use the rest room, well by now you can guess what happened, I walked in to the Ladies Room by mistake, the next thing I heard was my DD screaming, "Dad, you're in the Ladies Room." As I walked out and headed to the Men's Room, I could hear my family members, all women, laughing their heads off. Needless to say, I have not lived that down, and even some of my dear "DIS Friends" still remind me about that from time to time!!!

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

The "clothing optional" post made me think about an experience I once had in the Rainforest. I've spent countless hours in there and have met lots of people...conversations tend to spring up when you are hanging out in the tile loungers. One day, a woman came in and she was totally naked except for a towel! She looked around, noticed there were some men in the saunas, and asked me, "Is this co-ed?"
I explained that it was and that people wear swimsuits. I figured she'd head back to her stateroom for some swimwear, but she just shrugged, spread a towel on one of the loungers, and plunked down to relax. At least she was mostly covered! I didn't look when she used the showers, so I'm not sure how she managed that.
Another funny story...on the Magic, we were once seated at dinner with a mom and six year old son. The kid was hilarious! On Key West night, he wanted to tell us about his aquarium experience. He kept saying, "It was too scary. You tell it, Mom," but then of course he kept interrupting her. Turns out he had picked up a conch, and it squirted him right in the face! He was sp graphic when he told it that it was all I could do to keep from cracking up. But he was so serious that I had to contain myself.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com
Barb

This past summer while on the banana boat at CC, people on either side of the boat were all leaning to the outside which caused me and 5 others on the boat to fall off into the water. After we got back to shore I was talking to Cameron, who was a CM on the cruise staff and had mentioned that I fell off. Later in the afternoon he was DJing in the gazebo on the island and as I walked by he broke into the middle of the song and said into the mike "For all of you planning on taking a banana boat today, be sure NOT to fall into the water!" He continued to give me a hard time about it the rest of the night with different comments. It really cracked me up.

princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter