SHADES OF GREEN at Walt Disney World Resort Information & Questions

I have a reservation for March. Please tell me what room request to make? I know I want golf course view and close to elevator...does it matter between palm or magnolia? Any other tips?
We’ve always stayed Palm side. Great views for golf course, convenient to parking garage and bus stop area. If you want to be close to pools, spa, etc. you’d want to go with Magnolia side.

My only tip is go with the lobby cafe as the coffee in the Garden grill isn’t the best in my opinion. Enjoy your stay!

I know this is the SOG thread, but Steve from Military Disney Tips sent out a newsletter yesterday that a Military Salute has been released starting 12/19/20 - 9/21/2021 when the current one ends for tickets, resorts, and memory maker.

https://www.militarydisneytips.com/...alute-information-rooms-tickets-memory-maker/
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/special-offers/military-multi-day-tickets-2020/details/
There are some caveats with buying tickets which may affect any other ticket offers later in the year (sounds like one or the other but we don't know what the other, if any, is yet).

We're booked for 12-17 Dec after our b2b Harmony of the Seas cruises. We also made our Auto Train reservations in a bedroom leaving Lorton on Thanksgiving day so we're spending two nights in PC prior to the cruise. Bedroom on the train was less than half the points on Thanksgiving day than it was for the day after so our grown sons will just have to go to their in laws lol. Actually, our oldest DS and DDIL are meeting us at SOG. Youngest son wants to go also but his wife doesn't want to go but we're still working on her. We have to wait and see what happens with the park tickets for Dec 2021. This will our 8th stay.

I was at shades over Christmas, never seen it so empty. I don't think they even had people staying on the second or third floor magnolia side, also first time on first floor.
I'd posted in another thread asking about SOG post Covid. Inlaws are staying there first of March.
They've stayed there several times, and always enjoy it. However, they also usually go the buffet a couple of nights. How is the dining there now? I'd read that the main restaurant is still closed, and I know a lot can change by March, but if they don't have many options there, we need to plan on elsewhere. Hubby is also going, but staying at Riviera, so can meet up when need be.
Also, how are the busses. Are you still able to get on at the scheduled times, or do they fill up and you have to wait until the next scheduled? are they socially distant?
Any other things they need to be aware of? especially in regards to transportations. We know the Poly monorail stop closed, but they can walk to TTC if need be. TIA!

I'd posted in another thread asking about SOG post Covid. Inlaws are staying there first of March.
They've stayed there several times, and always enjoy it. However, they also usually go the buffet a couple of nights. How is the dining there now? I'd read that the main restaurant is still closed, and I know a lot can change by March, but if they don't have many options there, we need to plan on elsewhere. Hubby is also going, but staying at Riviera, so can meet up when need be.
Also, how are the busses. Are you still able to get on at the scheduled times, or do they fill up and you have to wait until the next scheduled? are they socially distant?
Any other things they need to be aware of? especially in regards to transportations. We know the Poly monorail stop closed, but they can walk to TTC if need be. TIA!

buffet is closed so they are using that counter for bistro to go from Mangino's, you can get anything off the main menu now.

I never use the buses but they are running. i drive and use the shady shuttle or walk to the poly.

main pool closes an hour before the small pool. hot tube limit is 5 but that wasn't a problem

I'd posted in another thread asking about SOG post Covid. Inlaws are staying there first of March. . ..
For dining at SoG, Mangino’s (the table-service restaurant) and Evergreen’s (the poolside sports bar) are both open, and, as Saltywardog noted, your in-laws can also use room service or take-out from the Bistro. For more meal choices, they can make the short five-minute walk to the Poly (or as Saltywardog also mentioned, make that walk even shorter by taking the SoG's Shady Shuttle most of the way) and eat at any of the Poly restaurants that are open, which I think are Capt. Cook's, Kona Café, and the Tambu Lounge.

If for some reason your in-laws don’t want to use the SoG buses, like you said they can walk to TTC to catch a monorail; it’s about 15 minutes. Or, I think while the Poly monorail station is closed that WDW is offering bus service from there to each of the parks.

Last edited:
For dining at SoG, Mangino’s (the table-service restaurant) and Evergreen’s (the poolside sports bar) are both open, and, as Saltywardog noted, your in-laws can also use room service or take-out from the Bistro.

SO happy to read that both of these are open now. My family loves the wings at Evergreens so we may need to plan a stay there now!

Can anyone that has stayed recently share how your experience was getting to the parks before opening? Did you use the buses, drive yourself, Uber?

Can anyone that has stayed recently share how your experience was getting to the parks before opening? Did you use the buses, drive yourself, Uber?
We are planning a trip for April and will more than likely drive to each park we are going to. I will update when we do.

I am interested in this also. We are visiting Mid March and it looks like extended hours which means BUSY parks. We want to be as early as possible, and SOG buses don't always leave early enough....

I am interested in this also. We are visiting Mid March and it looks like extended hours which means BUSY parks. We want to be as early as possible, and SOG buses don't always leave early enough....
If you drive, MK toll booths this week (if it stays the same) open at 8 a.m., DHS 8:15 (didn't do EP or AK). We're here now and staying offsite for the latter part of our trip. Today MK was open until 10 pm which surprised me (they extended about 2 days ago) and I was worried about crowds. Rope drop is definitely still the way to go - we did 3 park days driving in over the past week and got at least 2-3 headliners in before 9:15ish at both parks.

The middle of the day had really long waits but the evening was very nice. It was great to be at MK in the dark again!

Bus schedule from last week. They print the schedule on Sundays so if park hours change it won’t be correct. But they will still come at park close. We took the boat from Poly to get to MK by rope drop, came around 8:10 for 9am opening. You could also walk to TCC or Grand Floridian to get the monorail.

We are planning a trip for April and will more than likely drive to each park we are going to. I will update when we do.
Thank you! We will be there April 10. Hoping to make it to the parks before rope drop.

View attachment 559616

Bus schedule from last week. They print the schedule on Sundays so if park hours change it won’t be correct. But they will still come at park close. We took the boat from Poly to get to MK by rope drop, came around 8:10 for 9am opening. You could also walk to TCC or Grand Floridian to get the monorail.

Thank you so much! I assumed the buses wouldn’t leave early enough to make it 45 min or so before opening so that answers that. I was thinking about walking to GF walkway to MK but didn’t even think about boat from POLY so thanks again! How did that work out for you at opening?

Thank you! We will be there April 10. Hoping to make it to the parks before rope drop.

Thank you so much! I assumed the buses wouldn’t leave early enough to make it 45 min or so before opening so that answers that. I was thinking about walking to GF walkway to MK but didn’t even think about boat from POLY so thanks again! How did that work out for you at opening?
It worked well. 2 families on the boat. We went to BTMR and were the 20ish family there. We also used the poly bus stop to rope drop Epcot. Bus came around 9:55 for an 11 opening. 2nd family in line for soarin.

It worked well. 2 families on the boat. We went to BTMR and were the 20ish family there. We also used the poly bus stop to rope drop Epcot. Bus came around 9:55 for an 11 opening. 2nd family in line for soarin.
Random but I have a few questions if you have time: where you still able to get food off of the late night menu from Mangino's? What were the pool hours? Was the fitness center open?

Random but I have a few questions if you have time: where you still able to get food off of the late night menu from Mangino's? What were the pool hours? Was the fitness center open?
The shades of green website was up to date with menus and what is currently closed. I’d check that out for restaurant info.
The main bigger pool, shaped like Mickey with water slide was open 10am-4pm. The other one, U shaped, was open 4pm-10pm. Not sure if that’s winter hours or all the time.
Not sure about the fitness center, we walked 12 miles one day!

Last edited:
The shades of green website was up to date with menus and what is currently closed. I’d check that out for restaurant info.
The main bigger pool, shaped like Mikey with water slide was open 10am-4pm. The other one, U shaped, was open 4pm-10pm. Not sure if that’s winter hours or all the time.
Sounds like it's still exactly how it was in August with pool hours. (I wasn't sure if it had changed by this time?)

I'm not sure about the fitness center, we only stayed one night and didn't walk by that way.

The main bigger pool, shaped like Mickey with water slide was open 10am-4pm. The other one, U shaped, was open 4pm-10pm. Not sure if that’s winter hours or all the time.
Thank you!

Can anyone attest to how a split stay moving from Shades of Green to a Disney resort? Part of our family will be starting there and are looking at moving to Boardwalk. How does luggage work, would they need to move it themselves?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter