September 29,2013 - DVC Member Cruise

So what is everyone doing about insurance for this trip?

I was just reading a thread about a mom whose daughter is sick and they are supposed to be cruising.

Since this is a member cruise, does the insurance work the same way?

We have never done insurance for our vacations but now I'm thinking this time we will.

What are some of your experiences?

For all my north east brethren's, hope you are dry, warm and safe.

Snow2913009.jpg

We were very lucky, further out on Long Island was hit harder. Here is DH cleaning off the walkway and car. Note the Yankee jacket, which is why I am calling this picture " Pitchers and Catchers report in 3 days! " Dreaming of the Dream today!:beach:

Lorelai71 said:

I was just reading a thread about a mom whose daughter is sick and they are supposed to be cruising.

We have never done insurance for our vacations but now I'm thinking this time we will.

We just get medical insurance for cruises. If something happens and we lose our points oh well. It would have be something very serious for us to have to cancel so the points would be the least of our worries. We now drive or fly southwest so it's easy to change plans to come home early.

good question.

I was just thinking the same thing.

Initially, we purchased the Travelex insurance thru DVC for 89.00 per contract to protect our points and the DCL insurance to protect the cash cabins. This was before the cruise was chartered. Now that the entire ship is DVC, our cash cabins may not be protected at all. I'm placing a call to DVC to determine what coverage we even have at this time for which cabins and what if any options they provide.

We have purchased outside ins in the past. I believe it was thru allianz. http://www.allianztravelinsurance.com/ I'll have to doublecheck. It provided comprehensive coverage at a reasonable price and the medical did not appear to be restrictive as secondary coverage with a mandate you provide a domestic policy as the primary insurer.

I'm guessing we're limited to whatever "is" normally covered via Travelex thru DVC and can purchase additional coverage thru a third party if necessary.

Here's a recap of the Insurance page on the DVC website:

Travel Insurance

Protect your Disney Vacation Club travels and purchase travel insurance today for only $89 for a full year of protection!

Disney Vacation Club is now offering comprehensive travel insurance through Travelex Insurance Services. This product offers coverage in case of:

•Trip Cancellations or Interruption
•Delayed Flights
•Employment Termination
•Emergency sickness or accident
•Baggage loss or damage...and MORE!
You can purchase this great Member offering by clicking here, or call Disney Vacation Club Member Services at 1-800-********† to find out more.
PLEASE NOTE: Associates cannot purchase this Member offering.

If you have questions, please call Member Services directly.

For full policy details please view the description of coverage.

† If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent or guardian's permission to dial this number.

This is a partial description of benefits. Certain terms, conditions, exclusions, and limitations apply as set out in the Description of Coverage (see Full Details above). At this time, all products are not available to residents of all states. Underwritten by: Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company.

Here's the summary of coverage page:

5 6 7
SCHEDULE OF COVERAGES & SERVICES
Accidential
*All coverage is per reservation unless otherwise noted. Coverage amounts shown are shared between all persons occupying the unit. All benefits are paid to the primary traveler listed on the Confirmation of Coverage.
**Travel Assistance Services are provided by Travelex’s designated provider.

ELIGIBILITY & EFFECTIVE DATES
Who Is Eligible For Coverage
A person who has arranged to take a Covered Trip, completes the enrollment form and pays the required plan payment and is a citizen or resident of the United States of America.

When Coverage Begins
All coverages (except Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation and Post-Departure Trip Interruption) will take effect on the later of 1) the date the plan payment and enrollment form has been received; 2) the date and time you start your Covered Trip; or 3) 12:01 A.M. Standard Time on the Scheduled Departure Date of your Covered Trip.

Pre-Departure Trip Cancellation coverage will take effect at 12:01 A.M. Standard Time on the day after the date your plan payment and enrollment form is received. Post-Departure Trip Interruption coverage will take effect two (2) days prior to the Scheduled Departure Date of your Covered Trip if the required plan payment and any necessary enrollment forms are received.

When Coverage Ends
Your coverage automatically ends on the earlier of:
1. the date the Covered Trip is completed;
2. two (2) days following the Scheduled Return Date;
3. cancellation of the Covered Trip covered by the plan;
4. your arrival at the return destination on a round-trip, or the destination on a one-way trip.

All coverages under the plan will be extended if your entire Covered Trip is covered by the plan and your return is delayed by unavoidable circumstances beyond your control.
If coverage is extended for the above reasons, coverage will end on the earlier of the date you reach your originally scheduled return destination or seven (7) days after the Scheduled Return Date.
In no event will coverage be extended due to voluntary reasons without prior consent from Travelex Insurance Services.

Plan Benefits
Maximum Coverage*
Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company

Trip Cancellation Upgrades Frequent Traveler Awards
Up to $10,000 per plan term
$5,000 sublimit
$200 sublimit

Trip Delay $1,000
Missed Cruise Connection $1,000
Baggage & Personal Effects $2,000
Baggage Delay $500
Recreation Equipment Delay $1,000
Emergency Medical & Dental Expenses $25,000
Emergency Medical Evacuation & Repatriation $250,000
Security Deposit Protection $2,000
Accidental Death & Dismemberment $25,000

Travel Assistance & Concierge Services**
Included
Identity Theft Prevention Services**
Included

IMPORTANT NOTES
This plan is effective when the plan cost has been received by Disney Vacation Club. Please take your Confirmation of Coverage and this Description of Coverage with you on your Covered Trip. Should you have customer service questions about the coverage, please call Travelex Insurance Services at 1-877-886-4664.

This plan affords coverage for the time you own which annual or semi-annual Maintenance Charges are paid to Disney Vacation Club by you. Benefits are subject to the limits provided under the Schedule of Coverages, subject to a maximum of 90 days of accommodations pursuant of the timeshare.
If you are not satisfied for any reason, you may cancel your coverage within 21 days of your receipt of this document. If you haven’t already left on your Covered Trip and/or provided there has been no covered expense, you will receive a full refund of your plan cost.

We were very lucky, further out on Long Island was hit harder. Here is DH cleaning off the walkway and car. Note the Yankee jacket, which is why I am calling this picture " Pitchers and Catchers report in 3 days! " Dreaming of the Dream today!:beach:

Great picture! We had nowhere near that accumulation in S. Jersey. (only received about 4 inches of snow!) I feel cheated!!

Looks like a long way to the street!!

FYI

the following message was posted by Southwest:

"We are currently accepting air reservations through September 27, 2013. On March 4, 2013, we will open our schedule for sale through November 1, 2013. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently."

FYI

the following message was posted by Southwest:

"We are currently accepting air reservations through September 27, 2013. On March 4, 2013, we will open our schedule for sale through November 1, 2013. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently."

I'm so glad that we only have a 45 minute drive to PC!

Snow2913009.jpg

We look about the same as you! I am glad it was a weekend, so the kids did not miss any more school. After Sandy, we are already making up enough days! The snow looks nice at first, but I would rather be on Castaway Cay with a Konk Kooler!:thumbsup2

Hope everyone cleaning up from the storm is doing ok. We were lucky this time in central PA. Supposedly there is the possibility of another storm this week!!!:scared:

Sharing one of my favorite photos from the Dream!

JQ took it and claims this angle had nothing to do with luck and everything to do with how multitalented he is. :rotfl:

732011338_zpse357f9f9.jpg

We didn't order much room service on our Disney Cruises. It runs 24 hrs. from the time your stateroom is ready on embarkation til the last night of your sail.

Some mornings, we would order a pot of coffee and danish. Really prefer this over the Nescafe served in Cabanas.

3c1d84c4-97e9-477a-8b07-58d21e66de16_zpsbe1e1823.jpg

Once, we ordered a late day snack.

IMG_8599_zpse60ef91b.jpg

closeups:

fruit and cheese platter (grapes are seedless - whole platter was excellent!!)

IMG_8603_zps2632a64a.jpg

caesar salad

IMG_8601_zps982e773b.jpg

BLT

IMG_8602_zps327f4754.jpg

chocolate chip cookies

IMG_8605_zps38276454.jpg

I know I know this is pretty sad. Especially after seeing everything available in the many food blogs. But everything was delicious!!! If anyone would like to share - please do!!

We have joined the FE on all 3 of our previous cruises. Unfortunately, I didn't photograph the first one.

For those new to the FE please check page 1 of this thread for details and sign up information.

Here is a photo of our two-pocket FE. I purchased this on ebay 3 yrs ago. It was made by a dis'er known as gradysmommy. I'm not sure if she still does this but you can use anything you wish to hang outside your stateroom. And I do mean anything!!!

All of the magnets you see on our stateroom door (with the exception of the dvc) were given to us thru the FE.

IMG_8367_zps01b78ef2.jpg

The dimensions of this FE are:

Width of dowel - 9 3/4"
Width of FE cloth - 8"
Total length of FE - 15 3/4"
Length of each pocket - 5 1/2"
Height of string - 7"
Length of string - 16"
Expansion of pockets - 4 1/2"

Here are a sample of gifts we have received. We were two adults. Obviously these are from a regular sailing. Hopefully someone familiar with the DVC Member Cruises will assist in describing if those items tend to be more personailized toward the DVC.

set of 3 tile coasters - each w/ a different design. This was very well made
I would be happy to photograph all three tiles if anyone wishes.

IMG_7822_zpsd58821c4.jpg

variety of things - cd/magnet/etc

IMG_7821_zps8e49d324.jpg

these are 4 different participater's gifts - (which gives a better perspective of the range of items you may receive)

mini m&m's
handmade ping pong nighlights
laminated handmade bookmark
mickeyhead pompom magnet

IMG_7877_zpsa3419db6.jpg

pirate chest w/chocolate coins

IMG_6051_zps93b7a257.jpg

key fobs (we use them on our luggage)

IMG_6049_zpse6c43324.jpg

kids fun supplies

IMG_6046_zpsbebcf87f.jpg

from a UK cruiser - (we also received Will and Kate playing cards and pens in May 2011)

IMG_6045_zpsee8fa428.jpg

cookies from a home state (can't remember where) and disney handsoap

IMG_6039_zps164fa073.jpg

socks rolled like a cupcake/ home state candy/ personalized chocolate bar wrapper and keychain.

IMG_6041_zpsf4e58fc7.jpg

toiletry samples

IMG_6044_zps7309d6a1.jpg

personalized magnets - So cute!!1

IMG_7816_zps64925e19.jpg

scrapbooks (1 handmade/ 1 printed)

IMG_6038_zps1f5c4e96.jpg

IMG_6037_zps00700f45.jpg

cinch saks - (very professionally made decals!!)

IMG_6043_zps0ceadb03.jpg

embroidered insulated bag (liner is foil insulate)

IMG_6050_zps210ef165.jpg

laundry items - (collapsible bag/liquid laudry soap "pod"/dryer sheet/shout wipes/etc)

IMG_7919_zpsdb643cc0.jpg

Candy from our Canadian Crusers - we had several and received a variety of candy packs. this is one example.

IMG_7901_zps8ecb5722.jpg

Personalized Labelled Bottle for sand

IMG_6047_zps96c09599.jpg

Variety pack - ornament/cloth tote/magnet/candy

IMG_7899_zps024907ae.jpg

And this is what we gave on our last cruise - contents are confidential!!! (in case we replicate it!)

IMG_7825_zps3af34a4f.jpg

Really hope this helps!!! I remember trying to wade thru pages of threads searching for information.

My husband doesn't want us to do the FE on this cruise since the kids are not coming, but after those pictures.....I really love the FE's!!!! I still have time to decide but, I am thinking I want in!!!

Maryrn11168 said:
My husband doesn't want us to do the FE on this cruise since the kids are not coming, but after those pictures.....I really love the FE's!!!! I still have time to decide but, I am thinking I want in!!!

It looks like a lot of people on this cruise won't have their kids. Don't let that keep you from participating if you really want to. A lot of people just do a stateroom gift anyways and not individual ones.

I go back and forth about the FE on this cruise too.

My main reasons for not joining were that we are in concierge (which complicates things) and we're getting so many gifts already. Also, it does take time to deliver and a 4 night goes by so fast.

For our first FE, I signed my mom and dad up as a seperate cabin in 2011. We had no idea what to expect and surprisingly they really enjoyed it. I haven't even mentioned it to them for this cruise because I wasn't sure about joining myself. But I will ask our family members if they'd like to participate. Who knows?

Could someone who has done the FE on a DVC member's cruise share what they received?

The main reason that I am thinking of skipping the FE's is that with the three kids staying home, I am looking forward to travelling light. For 14+ years I have gotten on a plane with a diaper bag, a stoller, then a double stroller, snacks,etc. My youngest has medical issues so now every trip includes a bag of medication, a nebulizer, plus the stuff to keep them busy as well as my book. I want to walk thru security with one bag. My bag!!!! I know some people never check luggage they do carry-on only, I am looking forward to carry-on nothing!!! Even if I ship my gifts down, I have to get the stuff I get home.

I will keep thinking about it:-)

PI = Gotta LOVE room service. Don gets "pre breakfast" every morning - coffee, juice, muffins or sweet rolls, and then heads up to breakfast at Cabana's about an hour later :lmao:

RE: FE participation: For those of you weighing the options of participating in the FE or not, I feel the same way. I may have an alternative......
How about a postcard exchange. Instead of FE gifts, we provide a postcard and/or brochure of your home locality. This would be an inexpensive, minimal space rememberence of your fellow cruisers, and maybe give someone an idea of a new place to visit. And it doesn't require a Fish Extender pocket thing - items could just be placed in the area above the Fish where they put notes etc from cruise personnel or slid under the door. Those participating in the "full" FE exchange could participate as well as those just interested in the postcard/brochure part. What do you think???:scratchin

gmcmah,
welcome to the crawl. :tiptoe: What category is your cabin? Also you can pm me your stateroom #, so I can configure the crawl map.

Thanks,
Jim

Jim,

Two updates from the Facebook page:

"Jennifer Kerry: We'd like to join at least the crawl. I think we have a 5A were on deck 10 we'll share if there isnt one similar. I think it would pretty cool to check out the difference, espically from all you seasoned cruisers who know these ships well."

We had a volunteer with a category 11A but when I looked just now it was gone!

Jim,

Two updates from the Facebook page:

"Jennifer Kerry: We'd like to join at least the crawl. I think we have a 5A were on deck 10 we'll share if there isnt one similar. I think it would pretty cool to check out the difference, espically from all you seasoned cruisers who know these ships well."

We had a volunteer with a category 11A but when I looked just now it was gone!

I'm assuming this is Kerryfamily04. Right now, since your 5A is basically the same cabin as Henlady's 7A minus the obstructed view, I'll mark you down as a crawler unless the group wants to check it out.

Thanks for joining the Crawl,
Jim

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter