**September 2019**

I followed the Dorian thread closely. A lot of people recommended following Brian Shields for weather updates. He explains things well and updates often.

It looks like there are two different paths the storm could take.

We arrived yesterday so I am definitely following closely.

Thank you! I'm always looking for more good weather people to follow. I like Denis Philips too. He doesn't flip out but I also want the cold facts. They are watching something approaching Florida this weekend as well as something forming that could approach by next week. We go 9/21-30. I don't know if Orlando is in the crosshairs for either one but trying to think positive. I just don't know what people do if and when it seems likely to affect Orlando. Disney rarely closes but they even closed early for Dorian. I can see why Floridians are always on edge.

Ugh!!!

So we arrive late Saturday and we'll be staying at CSR through the following Sunday....PLEASE let whatever this storm is just blow itself out!

Reactions: wx1
Ugh!!!

So we arrive late Saturday and we'll be staying at CSR through the following Sunday....PLEASE let whatever this storm is just blow itself out!
I keep checking even though my DH is like please stop, the % went from 80 to 65 on accuweather (I always check Lake Buena Vista not Orlando) and looking at the hourly, it seems more middway (we arrive 11:15am) at this point I just don't want my flight affected, rain in disney is still being in disney!

Also gives us more of an excuse to stay at Rose & Crown for another round :)

I keep checking even though my DH is like please stop, the % went from 80 to 65 on accuweather (I always check Lake Buena Vista not Orlando) and looking at the hourly, it seems more middway (we arrive 11:15am) at this point I just don't want my flight affected, rain in disney is still being in disney!

Also gives us more of an excuse to stay at Rose & Crown for another round :)

Our actual "vacation" doesn't begin until Sunday, even though we arrive Saturday evening and check in to CSR...we just added a room only for that night. I'm struggling to understand whether this is just a Sunday possibility thing or it's going to drag on...I'm hoping it's just Saturday and we're GTG Sunday morning!

Officially obsessing over weather. They are talking about a strong development that could be the major atorm of the year. I know it's too soon to know but the suspense is going to make getting excited so hard. We are meant to arrive next saturday and I have a bad feeeling. I was hoping mother nature would take a break after Dorian.

I'm totally with you on the worrying! Our vacation is 9/21-9/28. I have been watching and fretting for almost a week now about the storm they expect to come in after this weekend's storm. After all this stress I can officially say that we will never plan a trip in September again. :rotfl2::scared: I'm going to have an ulcer before it is all through!

But in all seriousness, I don't think they truly know what is going to happen until just a few days before. I'm working on some contingency plans though, just in case.

I'm totally with you on the worrying! Our vacation is 9/21-9/28. I have been watching and fretting for almost a week now about the storm they expect to come in after this weekend's storm. After all this stress I can officially say that we will never plan a trip in September again. :rotfl2::scared: I'm going to have an ulcer before it is all through!

But in all seriousness, I don't think they truly know what is going to happen until just a few days before. I'm working on some contingency plans though, just in case.
We went last September and were spoiled, it was HOT but we were at BCV so spent majority of days in the pool. Our main issues were arrival day, as soon as we got to POP (split stay) it poured for about an hour, we just hung at Petals for a little to unwind from the airport travel - and another night it rained and delayed Illuminations (but only 45 mins)
Of the last 6 trips (3 Dec, 2 Sept 1 April) April is def my favorite weather. Although I keep telling myself things can always change I just pray it isn't a total washout. This was a last min spur of the moment Farewell Illuminations trip my DH agreed to (we are going in Feb) so I really want things to go somewhat dry and smooth so it doesn't feel like it was a mistake to book it.

We went last September and were spoiled, it was HOT but we were at BCV so spent majority of days in the pool. Our main issues were arrival day, as soon as we got to POP (split stay) it poured for about an hour, we just hung at Petals for a little to unwind from the airport travel - and another night it rained and delayed Illuminations (but only 45 mins)
Of the last 6 trips (3 Dec, 2 Sept 1 April) April is def my favorite weather. Although I keep telling myself things can always change I just pray it isn't a total washout. This was a last min spur of the moment Farewell Illuminations trip my DH agreed to (we are going in Feb) so I really want things to go somewhat dry and smooth so it doesn't feel like it was a mistake to book it.

I would totally be ok with heat and rain, especially at this point. :blush: Ok, maybe not a total rainout but daily rain showers. I just don't want a full on hurricane. haha We typically go in November so this has been very different for us. This is our second trip in a year so I kind of feel like this is karma for being greedy. :confused3:sad2:

Fingers crossed it works out ok!

I would totally be ok with heat and rain, especially at this point. :blush: Ok, maybe not a total rainout but daily rain showers. I just don't want a full on hurricane. haha We typically go in November so this has been very different for us. This is our second trip in a year so I kind of feel like this is karma for being greedy. :confused3:sad2:

Fingers crossed it works out ok!
Multiple trips in a year is not greedy! It's magical :)

You took the words right out of my mouth. Never doing September again :scared:We drove down last year when Florence happened. People were telling us even the western roads would be closed and gas would be gone. We took a wide western detour and made it there just fine. It was a beautiful week in Florida and hardly any rain. I don't even know what they are saying with this current approaching storm. They keep saying this weekend. Some guy said 9/20 in Virginia? Huh? How do they not know? :worship:And then theres the yellow "x" slithering over from Africa. On average, how long do those "x"'s take to reach land? And do they seem positioned to affect Florida based on where it is? Some people are in a panic and others aren't at all. I always want to be clear that I don't want any area to get hit by hurricanes. But Orlando is historically safer and it seems not to be this year. I knew what I was getting into but I'm too neurotic to do this again. Looks like we might go back to May or early June trips lol.

Our last four trips to Orlando have been in September. We've lucked out so far, only having the normal rain that September tends to bring. We did have to cancel a Myrtle Beach vacation last year because of Florence. I’m watching the weather for our 9/24-10/5 Disney/Universal vacation. I figure I’ll worry if anything looks bad later next week.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Never doing September again :scared:We drove down last year when Florence happened. People were telling us even the western roads would be closed and gas would be gone. We took a wide western detour and made it there just fine. It was a beautiful week in Florida and hardly any rain. I don't even know what they are saying with this current approaching storm. They keep saying this weekend. Some guy said 9/20 in Virginia? Huh? How do they not know? :worship:And then theres the yellow "x" slithering over from Africa. On average, how long do those "x"'s take to reach land? And do they seem positioned to affect Florida based on where it is? Some people are in a panic and others aren't at all. I always want to be clear that I don't want any area to get hit by hurricanes. But Orlando is historically safer and it seems not to be this year. I knew what I was getting into but I'm too neurotic to do this again. Looks like we might go back to May or early June trips lol.

Bahaha....Yes!! The yellow slithering "x" is the main source of my stress as it's taking its sweet time meandering across the Atlantic. :crazy2:

One of my backup plans is for us to drive from Iowa (my husband and kids are thrilled) so it is good to hear that worked out ok for you last year.

Bahaha....Yes!! The yellow slithering "x" is the main source of my stress as it's taking its sweet time meandering across the Atlantic. :crazy2:

One of my backup plans is for us to drive from Iowa (my husband and kids are thrilled) so it is good to hear that worked out ok for you last year.

I'm not from where hurricanes happen so I'm going cross eyed looking at these maps. The predictions for Dorian were so off that I'm sure nothing matters until 48 hours before. Not ideal for obsessive neurotic people like me 😉 I like to have a plan. We won't have to worry about flights but I don't know how any of this works. Is this storm sitting near the bahamas supposed to happen over the weekend? I hope they don't get slammed again. They've had enough. My gosh ☹

How old are your kiddos? Mine is turning 6 during the trip and he is more excited than last time.

I'm not from where hurricanes happen so I'm going cross eyed looking at these maps. The predictions for Dorian were so off that I'm sure nothing matters until 48 hours before. Not ideal for obsessive neurotic people like me 😉 I like to have a plan. We won't have to worry about flights but I don't know how any of this works. Is this storm sitting near the bahamas supposed to happen over the weekend? I hope they don't get slammed again. They've had enough. My gosh ☹

How old are your kiddos? Mine is turning 6 during the trip and he is more excited than last time.

I know! Same here! I NEED to be able to plan. haha Yes, my very limited understanding is that the storm around the Bahamas will be this weekend. They are sending a plane to get samples from it today so they should have more info this afternoon/evening. Before this trip I knew nothing about weather forecasting Hurricanes so this has been interesting to read all of their info. Disclaimer that I don't understand the majority of it but very interesting to read. haha

My kids are 9 and 13. We planned this trip so they could go to the Halloween party. They are super excited! We did the christmas party on our last trip and they loved it.

Happy early birthday to your little one. 6 is a great age for Disney!

This is going to be either really smart or really stupid, but we are going through with our trip. We leave in the morning and arrive around lunch tomorrow. One night at CBR, then move to WL on Sunday, staying through a Friday.

We are going with a positive outlook and with the expectation of being confined to the resort for at least one day. We brought Uno, Yahtzee, a deck of cards, books, and I’m bringing yarn (to crochet/knit). If we don’t get confined, great. If we do, well, we know we’re taking a gamble.

Oh, and I’m wearing rain boots on the plane tomorrow. DD too! It’s the best way I could figure to get them down there! We each have a rain jacket packed and we brought 9 ponchos for the 3 of us. Fingers crossed- wish us luck!!
Turned out to be really smart!! I love that you wore the rain boots on the plane lol Sorry I did not get down to the pool with DH but I require way more sleep than he does.

So looking at how short lines are for rides. Do we think its still aftermath of Dorian? Or is it because all of the EMH everywhere on every day? A little of both? We have 16 days till our first park day and would just love the crowds were anywhere close to what they currently seem to be
I think it was Dorian related. Walking through CBR I saw quite a few empty rooms. I haven't checked to see though how the waits have been this week.

Hi everyone, just thought I'd say that I got back from my trip last night (arrived September 2, so right in the face of Dorian) and it was the best trip EVER. Parks closed early one day, but there was seriously no one in the parks the whole time I was there. Everything was a walk-on: we're talking ~8 rides a day on SDMT, SDD, TMM, etc. Be prepared for inclement weather, but stay positive and don't assume a storm is going to ruin your trip!
I agree with those two points with my whole heart!

Hope everyone there now is having a great time!

@StageTek your observation is on point. I am still glad we went for the rope drop because the whole situation was exciting and fun - but DH had better luck at night and rode MF multiple times.

More hurricane talk, sorry. What does "12 days out" mean for the "disturbance" coming off Africa? They keep saying that but I don't know what it means :confused3 12 days before it develops or 12 days before it reaches land?

More hurricane talk, sorry. What does "12 days out" mean for the "disturbance" coming off Africa? They keep saying that but I don't know what it means :confused3 12 days before it develops or 12 days before it reaches land?

It means 12 days out from land.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter