Separating the Bed

CALIFLADY

<font color=purple>The Tag Fairy is jealous of you
A girlfriend and I are sailing on the Wonder out of Galveston on September 28. I thought I read that the bed can be split into two twin beds (as opposed to one of us having to sleep on the couch).

Should I contact DCL to arrange the room like this prior to boarding, or should we just ask our maid to do this when we get onboard? I know that embarkment day is very busy for the staff, so I don't want to add to the chaos if I don't have to.

The room steward has a list of incoming passengers. If a couple will be in the room the bed is made up as a queen size. If there's two singles the steward will split the bed unless the passengers tell him/her differently.

The room steward has a list of incoming passengers. If a couple will be in the room the bed is made up as a queen size. If there's two singles the steward will split the bed unless the passengers tell him/her differently.

This is not necessarily true. I cruised with my Mom on three cruises until my fourth cruise (after reading about it here on the DIS) I requested to have the bed split. Now that the Magic is being redone, the Wonder is the only ship with this capability.

I called and had the request added to my reservation. That way when I showed up to my room the beds were already split. I think it just made it easier for them to move and store the queen size top mattress wtihout people milling around in the hallways. No big deal though, they will also do it if you ask them once you are on the ship.

This is not necessarily true. I cruised with my Mom on three cruises until my fourth cruise (after reading about it here on the DIS) I requested to have the bed split. Now that the Magic is being redone, the Wonder is the only ship with this capability.

I called and had the request added to my reservation. That way when I showed up to my room the beds were already split. I think it just made it easier for them to move and store the queen size top mattress wtihout people milling around in the hallways. No big deal though, they will also do it if you ask them once you are on the ship.

There isn't a queen top mattress. They just push the two twins together, and have an insert that goes down the crack in the middle to even out the mattresses. They really don't have the space to store extra mattresses onboard to switch out.

OP, you can make the request on your reservation. But, if when you get to your room, it isn't right, just ask your room host to fix it. It'll be done by dinner.

There is no way for them to know who are singles and who are couples based on a passenger list.

There is no way for them to know who are singles and who are couples based on a passenger list.

They can tell by the ages -- when grandma and a grand dtr share a room, there's no doubt that the bed needs to be split. We didn't have to ask. (I realize in the case of adults only, it's better not to guess.)

In 29 cruises we have only had the beds split once upon arrival and that was because we specifically requested. the standard is for the bed to be a queen unless specifically requested otherwise.

Even when I travelled with girlfriends, kids, etc. the bed was always a queen except for that one time when I asked them to be split.

MJ

My mom and I sailed the Magic out of Galveston back in March and the beds were not split when we arrived. We requested it as soon as we got to the room but it was still not done after dinner and the show. I called housekeeping/front desk numerous times and someone finally came at just after midnight to split them. He tried to talk me into sleeping on the couch first, but I declined.

I have actually split it myself. They sometimes give u a hard time and want u to use the couch which I hate. The bed is extremely light to pick up.

Thanks everyone!

I sailed on the Magic last year with my Mom and the room was set up with the queen bed. I didn't think to ask to split the bed and slept on the couch. It was not all that comfortable.

Later in the week, I realized it probably could be split, but I didn't want to make Mom feel bad, so I never said anything and slept all week on the couch.

I called DCL today and put in my request. They specifically asked which ship I was on, did some digging, then came back and said they could take the request. If it's not done when we first get to the room, I'll say something to the cabin steward and get it sorted out then.

Again, thanks!

Thanks everyone!

I sailed on the Magic last year with my Mom and the room was set up with the queen bed. I didn't think to ask to split the bed and slept on the couch. It was not all that comfortable.

Later in the week, I realized it probably could be split, but I didn't want to make Mom feel bad, so I never said anything and slept all week on the couch.

I called DCL today and put in my request. They specifically asked which ship I was on, did some digging, then came back and said they could take the request. If it's not done when we first get to the room, I'll say something to the cabin steward and get it sorted out then.

Again, thanks!

Must have been a CM who didn't know that the Wonder is the only ship with beds that split.

In 29 cruises we have only had the beds split once upon arrival and that was because we specifically requested. the standard is for the bed to be a queen unless specifically requested otherwise.

Even when I travelled with girlfriends, kids, etc. the bed was always a queen except for that one time when I asked them to be split.

MJ

I'm wondering if our ever-efficient travel agent took care of it without us asking.

Why would they make beds that don't split in the newer ships or remodels. Seems like it is a good ideas to have.

Why would they make beds that don't split in the newer ships or remodels. Seems like it is a good ideas to have.

Many were upset that they do not split on the new ships and now on the new Magic. Don't know the exact reasons but there must not have been many people requesting them to make it worthwhile to keep them. On the other hand, many people complained about how uncomfortable the beds were with the split in the middle (when together as a queen).

The new beds are extremely comfortable and are much higher than the old beds so you can fit luggage very easily under them.

MJ

Its the bed frame. On the newer ships and, now, the Magic, the beds are elevated so you can store luggage underneath. One of the trade offs in doing that is that the bed frame is now a single piece. (Wish I could find the article that talked about it when the Dream launched).

Its the bed frame. On the newer ships and, now, the Magic, the beds are elevated so you can store luggage underneath. One of the trade offs in doing that is that the bed frame is now a single piece. (Wish I could find the article that talked about it when the Dream launched).

They have no idea if you're two singles or a couple. I think the default is the queen bed. I cruise with friends and we have always asked the steward to split the bed after boarding. They do it while we are at dinner.

Pretty soon the Wonder will be the only ship with the capability to split the queen bed into 2. Can't be done on the new ships, and the Magic is in drydock now getting the same beds as the new ships.

I think this is so funny! I never even thought about splitting a bed! Maybe I'm weird, but I have no problem sharing the bed with either of my kids, my Mom or even my BFF! In fact, I have shared with all those people before. It's like a slumber party when we were kids :)

Anyway, in terms of the beds, on our recent cruise we played musical beds every night. I felt bad making my DS sleep on the couch each night (it was NOT very comofrtable), so we kept switching around. He had the bed twice, my DD and I slept together on it twice and I also slept on the couch and upper bunk one time each. Those beds are amazing!

I will say that we sailed on the Wonder (first time on a classic) this month and the bed was nowhere near as comfortable as the new beds. I could sleep all day on the Dream and Fantasy. The Wonder's bed was lumpy from the insert and just not as comfy. Possibly because it's so much older, but it also just didn't compare to the new beds at all. But I can see the benefit of being able to split, so it's kind of sad that there isn't a way for both to work.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter