Selling My DVC

aleh021

Mouseketeer
This may be an unpopular opinion but wanted to share my thoughts and maybe hear a few of yours.

We have decided to sell our DVC contract for a few reasons. Not because we don’t love Disney and DVC but we want to buy in to a different home resort via resale market. When we bought in we purchased direct (financed) and granted we took a few trips from it but after reevaluating we decided it’s best to sell and buy a larger resale contract at a resort that could bring us more value. Thankfully we will not end up upside with this sale and will profit just a bit. The new resale restrictions don't bother me and loosing the perks of being a direct member don't really bother me to much either.

However will wait a little while before buying a new contract again.

We now want to focus more on traveling to international Disney destinations. This summer we are visiting Tokyo and Shanghai and look to do DCL, Aulani, and Hong Kong next year.

Again - no hate towards our DVC or WDW. We just bought at the wrong time and really wish we did more research when we purchased.

Has anyone here sold their DVC contract and purchased a new home they really loved more?

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts and feel free to ask any questions :)

I'm just curious - what resort did you buy into, and why doesn't it work for you? Which resort do you plan on buying later?

I'm guessing you own at Poly. We almost bought direct there but the studios only situation was a deal breaker for our family. We prefer 1 or 2 bedroom studios as we use the kitchen and laundry quite a bit.

I think it's a smart move, sell while the market is strong, especially if you're not using the contract, and come back when it's the right time at the right resort for you.

I'm just curious - what resort did you buy into, and why doesn't it work for you? Which resort do you plan on buying later?

We bought at Poly. It didn't work well for us because of the point chart. And with how much harder it is to book at resorts at 7 months it hasn't really made much sense for us to keep this. Don't get me wrong - I love Poly! I love the rooms and everything about it. But the amount of points we bought at the price and the high point chart just didn't work out well in the end.

We plan on buying AKV.

Last edited:
I'm guessing you own at Poly. We almost bought direct there but the studios only situation was a deal breaker for our family. We prefer 1 or 2 bedroom studios as we use the kitchen and laundry quite a bit.

I think it's a smart move, sell while the market is strong, especially if you're not using the contract, and come back when it's the right time at the right resort for you.

Yes! We did. We have been traveling more with family lately and while the studio is great - we want more privacy. And the point chart is a killer and finding larger accommodations at 7 months is only getting harder.

I would say, this is a wise decision for you, if it doesn't work out, better to get out. Nothing wrong with getting back into DVC either with a resort you prefer more. I think you will find that you are making the right decision for you!

We plan on buying AKV.

Do you expect to be able to book Value and/or Club level rooms?

If you do, there are a fairly high chance that you will be disappointed as those room goes very fast and often before 11 months out.

Do you expect to be able to book Value and/or Club level rooms?

If you do, there are a fairly high chance that you will be disappointed as those room goes very fast and often before 11 months out.

Oh no not at all!
Honestly we would be booking primarily Savanna View rooms or Standard rooms.

If by chance value rooms are available to book of course I will grab it! But I have zero expectations in booking those.

We didn't do like you are planning on doing. But we did downsize the number of points we own from 500 to 325 to decrease the amount of member fees we were paying monthly.

I bought a Hilton Head contract back in 1999 that I never used because it was very expensive to fly there and I just couldn't justify the cost. Made a few bucks and sold it in a couple days . I then added on resale BWV where I have all my other points and have never been happier with my decision.

Knowing where you want to stay is very important. People have been saying that forever - but now it is so much harder to book DVC room at 7 months it really is crucial.

Has anyone here sold their DVC contract and purchased a new home they really loved more?
We bought a resale at AK which we have found we like the resort but don't love it. The resort we do love is poly. Our AK contract is only 120 points and with it being purchased in 2015 does provide us with the blue card perks -- we have taken advantage of the perks with attending one moonlight magic, using TiW, AP discounts and many shopping discounts -- so the perks for us have saved us money. With loving Poly more than AK we want to add on a small Poly contract but keep the AK contract for the perks. We only have an every other year plan for using our contract so we will use our poly points and then just rent out our AK points to help pay for the MF on both contracts. We will see how this plan goes and if it doesn't really work for us we will sell our AK contract, but the perks for us do make a difference to us.

Knowing where you want to stay is very important. People have been saying that forever - but now it is so much harder to book DVC room at 7 months it really is crucial.

it is so important much more now then ever.
our guide told us you can book AKV anytime! and wilderness lodge for christmas!

LOL.

We bought a resale at AK which we have found we like the resort but don't love it. The resort we do love is poly. Our AK contract is only 120 points and with it being purchased in 2015 does provide us with the blue card perks -- we have taken advantage of the perks with attending one moonlight magic, using TiW, AP discounts and many shopping discounts -- so the perks for us have saved us money. With loving Poly more than AK we want to add on a small Poly contract but keep the AK contract for the perks. We only have an every other year plan for using our contract so we will use our poly points and then just rent out our AK points to help pay for the MF on both contracts. We will see how this plan goes and if it doesn't really work for us we will sell our AK contract, but the perks for us do make a difference to us.

we love Poly - our stays there have been great and we love the rooms.
however we have stayed at AKV with our points as well and with cash stays.

and we just love AKV so so much more. not sure what it is about it. we just truly enjoy it.

I am more mature (retired) than many on this board and as a result my traveling plans have changed dramatically. I have 200 point contract at OKW purchased in the early 2000's. We went to WDW every other year until recently. We have gotten more than our money's worth. Now Most of my travel is international. Son and his family still go to WDW or I would be renting out the points all the time.

the point is, your life changes over time, so it logical that you have different parameters/goals than you did when you bought in. Let it go and do what your gut tells you is best for you and your family and don't look back.

Who did you wind up selling through? We are looking to do similar so I'm looking for a reputable broker.

This may be an unpopular opinion but wanted to share my thoughts and maybe hear a few of yours.

We have decided to sell our DVC contract for a few reasons. Not because we don’t love Disney and DVC but we want to buy in to a different home resort via resale market. When we bought in we purchased direct (financed) and granted we took a few trips from it but after reevaluating we decided it’s best to sell and buy a larger resale contract at a resort that could bring us more value. Thankfully we will not end up upside with this sale and will profit just a bit. The new resale restrictions don't bother me and loosing the perks of being a direct member don't really bother me to much either.

However will wait a little while before buying a new contract again.

We now want to focus more on traveling to international Disney destinations. This summer we are visiting Tokyo and Shanghai and look to do DCL, Aulani, and Hong Kong next year.

Again - no hate towards our DVC or WDW. We just bought at the wrong time and really wish we did more research when we purchased.

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts and feel free to ask any questions :)
No hate at all, you have to do what is best for you and your family. I absolutely LOVE DVC and we go to Disney multiple times a year and even with that I'm considering selling.

Yes! We did. We have been traveling more with family lately and while the studio is great - we want more privacy. And the point chart is a killer and finding larger accommodations at 7 months is only getting harder.
If you are really having trouble finding 1BRs at AKV at the 7 month mark then this is probably a good move to make. But in my experience AKV 1BRs are some of the last rooms on property to book, right before OKW and SSR. If that's still the case, then why not just keep your Poly contract and book AKV at 7 months?

I only book 1 beds, and review availability weekly. I am at a loss why people cannot get 1 beds at 7 months. Xmas and New Year I have Beach Club and BLT for 11 nights total (split stay on purpose). Last Summer, Boardwalk Standard and Kidani. 7 Months from today- 2/28- looking for a week- SSR, BLT standard lake and theme park view, Boardwalk standard and pool, OKW incl near Hospitality House, Kidani standard and Savannah, VGF standard and lake, Jambo- standard and Savannah, Riviera Standard and Preferred, Boulder Ridge, Beach Club, Copper Creek i.e. every room and every view (Boardwalk Boardwalk view is only available 6 nights) is available to book. Yes it may tighten up a bit in peak peak, but still plenty of choice. I have never seen AKV not available in 1 beds. The buy where you want to stay mantra is stated all the time, but not necessarily a good idea for 1 bed people. In summer you can often even get AKV value.

I only book 1 beds, and review availability weekly. I am at a loss why people cannot get 1 beds at 7 months. Xmas and New Year I have Beach Club and BLT for 11 nights total (split stay on purpose). Last Summer, Boardwalk Standard and Kidani. 7 Months from today- 2/28- looking for a week- SSR, BLT standard lake and theme park view, Boardwalk standard and pool, OKW incl near Hospitality House, Kidani standard and Savannah, VGF standard and lake, Jambo- standard and Savannah, Riviera Standard and Preferred, Boulder Ridge, Beach Club, Copper Creek i.e. every room and every view (Boardwalk Boardwalk view is only available 6 nights) is available to book. Yes it may tighten up a bit in peak peak, but still plenty of choice. I have never seen AKV not available in 1 beds. The buy where you want to stay mantra is stated all the time, but not necessarily a good idea for 1 bed people. In summer you can often even get AKV value.
I agree, but I think most want 1 beds in the fall season when it’s much cheaper points-wise, and I don’t imagine availability is as good then.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter