• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

See Hawaii from "home base" of Aulani?

kcooley

Earning My Ears
So, I'm a planner. I am starting the planning for a trip to Hawaii in March 2015 and am trying to determine what there is to do and how to do it.

So, from what I understand about Hawaii is all the islands have their own uniqueness and attractions. How viable is it to do 10 night stay at Aulani and use it as a "home base" to see the other islands? I understand that if I want to see active volcanos, I have to do it on the big island. Etc.

Is this planning something that I'll have to get a TA involved with or are most of the things people want to do and see available via the concierge at the resort? Is it feasible to do day trips to the other islands and see stuff or are we looking at an overnight stay due to flight schedules, etc.?

I'm clueless on Hawaii, as a lot of what I've read says that you really should just plan on going either multiple times and staying on the island you want for that trip, or get a room for a couple nights per island and hop for your two weeks or whatever.

Am I making sense? What is the best way to do this?

So, I'm a planner. I am starting the planning for a trip to Hawaii in March 2015 and am trying to determine what there is to do and how to do it.

So, from what I understand about Hawaii is all the islands have their own uniqueness and attractions. How viable is it to do 10 night stay at Aulani and use it as a "home base" to see the other islands? I understand that if I want to see active volcanos, I have to do it on the big island. Etc.

Is this planning something that I'll have to get a TA involved with or are most of the things people want to do and see available via the concierge at the resort? Is it feasible to do day trips to the other islands and see stuff or are we looking at an overnight stay due to flight schedules, etc.?

I'm clueless on Hawaii, as a lot of what I've read says that you really should just plan on going either multiple times and staying on the island you want for that trip, or get a room for a couple nights per island and hop for your two weeks or whatever.

Am I making sense? What is the best way to do this?

I am also planning a similar vacation! I would like to go to Aulani, then hop over to Kauaii. I think the best approach is to split the vacation, 3 nights Kauaii and 6 nights Aulani. However, I may also just spend the entire time in Oahu, since we have kids and want to simplify the trip as much as possible.

I would not advise hopping to multiple islands from Oahu. You will spend all of your time going in and out of airports. In 10 days I do not think it is even advisable to do more than 2 islands. You could just do a day trip to one island but I think you would enjoy your Hawaii time more if you split your stay. Choose 2 islands (if you want to do Aulani, then one additional island) and see what you can on those 2 islands. If you are set on seeing the 4 major islands at one time, then you would be better off booking a Hawaii cruise. 10 days is the minimum I consider to do 2 islands. Rushing around in Hawaii will spoil the relaxed island style that makes Hawaii so special.

I would not advise hopping to multiple islands from Oahu. You will spend all of your time going in and out of airports. In 10 days I do not think it is even advisable to do more than 2 islands. You could just do a day trip to one island but I think you would enjoy your Hawaii time more if you split your stay. Choose 2 islands (if you want to do Aulani, then one additional island) and see what you can on those 2 islands. If you are set on seeing the 4 major islands at one time, then you would be better off booking a Hawaii cruise. 10 days is the minimum I consider to do 2 islands. Rushing around in Hawaii will spoil the relaxed island style that makes Hawaii so special.

I agree, from everything I read. I think we'll skip Kauai this time. Thanks. :)

We're doing 5 nights at Aulani and 5 nights on Kauai in October. Last trip (before Aulani) we did 4 nights on Oahu and 3 on the Big Island. We left the kids with my parents, so we couldn't be away for more than a week. It worked out just fine, but I am looking forward to having more time this trip. I definitely wouldn't island hop for less than a couple of nights. You might consider splitting your trip between two islands, as others have suggested.

As far as planning, I like to plan, so I don't use a TA. You might want to get the book "Oahu Revealed" (they have them for the other islands as well). Depending on when you are going, you might want to book activities before you go in case they fill up (such as Pearl Harbor tickets which book up months ahead).

Quick geography lesson as it relates to time (I used to be a flight attendant for a local airline):

Oahu to Kauai: ~100 miles, 30 minutes by air. Flights start early morning (5am) and finish late at night (9pm), available about one every hour.

Oahu to Maui: ~100 miles, 30 minutes by air. Flights start early morning (5am) and finish late at night (9pm), available about one every hour.

Oahu to Hilo (Big Island, closest to the active volcano): ~180 miles, 55 minutes by air. Flights start early morning (around 5am) and finish late at night (around 9pm), available about one every hour.

So, as you can see, island hopping definitely is an option. There are tour companies that sell day-trips, but you can plan one on your own... it just takes some careful planning.

The biggest downside to island hopping is the time management. To see the volcano, you'd have to start your day leaving Aulani at 430a, to get to the airport by 500am (Aulani is at least 25 minutes from the airport). 630am departure means you get to the Big Island around 730am. Getting the rental car takes at least 30 minutes, but the good news is you'll be on the road to Volcanoes National Park by 800am. 1hr drive to the Visitor's Center. 1 hour hike through the rain forest to the viewing area. 2 hours looking at the Volcano (it's pretty awesome). 1 hour hike back. 1 hr drive back into town. Stop by Low International Food for their amazing "rainbow bread," and then a quick stopover at Rainbow Falls (waterfall) just up the street. Of course, you have to visit Big Island Candies for their famous chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies. By now, it's already 400pm and we haven't calculated time for breakfast or lunch, or picking up snacks and water from the local KTA supermarket... so really, it'll be more like 600pm and time to head back to the airport to return the car, 30 minutes, and then wait for your flight at 800pm. Back to Honolulu at 900pm. 30 minute drive back to Aulani. Don't forget about dinner...

If you're looking for a relaxing activity, island hopping may not be the way to go. However, it could also be a 18 hour adventure and a cherished memory to last a lifetime.

The HoloHolo desk at Aulani can book you a tour of another island, so you'd at least be able to sleep on the bus rides. :) Oh, and even if the bus driver doesn't stop at Big Island Candies, the Aulani Kalepa's gift shop sells their chocolate-dipped shortbread cookies.

Thanks for the info! What are some must do's in Oahu, provided we are there for 9 nights with kids 10 and 5 yrs old.

Thank you!!!

My kids were 10 and 5 when stayed in a townhome in Ko Olina. Aulani was being built when we were there in 2010, so that was cool to see. Some of our favorite things to do on the island of Oahu were Pearl Harbor, Bishop Museum, Paradise Cove Luau, Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, Dole Plantation for Dole Whips and the cool pineapple maze, hike to Diamond Head, (only if everyone can handle a 1.5 mile uphill hike) and get a shave ice from Matsumoto's with ice cream on the bottom. :love: You will have a fantastic time!

My kids were 10 and 5 when stayed in a townhome in Ko Olina. Aulani was being built when we were there in 2010, so that was cool to see. Some of our favorite things to do on the island of Oahu were Pearl Harbor, Bishop Museum, Paradise Cove Luau, Hanauma Bay for snorkeling, Dole Plantation for Dole Whips and the cool pineapple maze, hike to Diamond Head, (only if everyone can handle a 1.5 mile uphill hike) and get a shave ice from Matsumoto's with ice cream on the bottom. :love: You will have a fantastic time!

Thank you! So you think 4 nights in Kauaii and 6 nights in Aulani would be a mistake? We should do it all at Aulani?

There is for sure enough to do on Oahu to keep you busy for a week, but I have heard Kauai is a gorgeous, tropical, less touristy place. I like your plan of of 6 days in Oahu and 4 in Kauai. :thumbsup2 I would just pick your top favs to do in Oahu instead of trying to fit it all in one trip.

This was our itinerary ... we are an adventurous family and it isn't for everyone. We just got back, and it was amazing.

Hawaii Trip 2013

Sat: Fly to Hawaii – check in – hotel
Sun: Wikikki Man vs Food Pancake challenge at Mac24, Diamond Head Hike, Aloha Flea Market
Mon: North Shore - Dole Maze, Surf, Rock Jump at Waimea Bay, Turtle Beach
*Tues: Mokulua Islands Adventure Kayak 9am
*Wed: Spa/Scuba 10am - 3pm, King Kamehameha, dog the bounty hunter store front, Lenords Bakery, Hawaii Five O building
Thurs: North Shore –Surf, Waimea Valley Market, Waimea Falls Hike, Dole Maze Again
*Fri: Haunamea Bay Snorkel, Maunawili Falls Hike, Parasail 2:30
*Sat: Surf north Shore, rock jump at Waimea Bay, Virgls Farm food at mm11.5 North shore
Sun: Hotel hang…. depart 3:55pm

We were at the Aulani for 7 nights, and could barely bring ourselves to leave the resort. One day we went to Pearl Harbor, the swap meet, drive around Waikiki, and visited the aquarium. One other day we went to the Dole plantation and North Shore. The other 5 days we stayed put. The resort was amazing, and we enjoyed every minute. We plan to go back next summer, and we really want to see a volcano, but we are torn about if we are willing to do less days at Aulani in order to do a split stay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter