Sea Sickness Medication for 8yr old & under

NJBILL

Always Keep An Eye To The Sky
We are sailing 8/31 and I picked up some Bonine as I read on these boards, but it says do not give to children under 12?
Is there anything for kids? Any real life experiences you could share?
Thanks.

Dramamine makes a motion sickness medicine for kids. When my now 15 year old dd was younger, she would get car sick just driving around our town. We used to give her the Children's liquid Dramamine before long trips. I believe they also make a children's chewable.

I would call your pediatrician to find out what he/she would recommend for your kids.

BTW, the only person who needed motion sickness meds on our cruise in July was me! We brought along Bonine for the adults and Dramamine for the kids -- the Bonine was the only thing used the whole week ;)

Bobbi

Why not try going drug free and try the sea sickness bands they sell, they work by putting continuous pressure on the P6 (or Nei-Kuan) point on each wrist using a plastic stud.

The product comes with instructions on how to find this spot on your own wrists. The fact that acupressure can prevent and ease morning sickness was first scientifically proven in the United Kingdom by the late Professor John Dundee from Queen's University, Belfast. In 1988 his report in The Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine showed that the women in the trial who used acupressure had suffered significantly less nausea and vomiting than those who didn't.

Sea-Bands can be worn on each wrist whenever you feel nauseous. The Sea-Band is comfortable, washable and discreet. One size fits all.

Do your kids get car sick or do they get motion sickness? If not then I wouldn't give them anything; most kids do just fine. The ship's motion is very minimal in most instances.

Dramamine makes children's formulas (chewable) but it can make kids drowsy. Bonine is not for kids under 12 without a doctor's okay.

Enjoy! :)

we just returned from the 8/16 Western with our petit 11 yr old. Our doctor & pharmacist son recommended a dose of Bonine for our daughter and not the children's dramamine. They felt the side effects of the bonine are less then the dramamine.

We also took the sea bands, but happily returned the unopened packages to the drug store this week, as it was SMOOOOTH sailing for us and no one in our party needed any sea sickness relief.

hope this helps.

Our ped recommeded 'Benadryl' before the plane flight and cruise.
Several of our kids used it at different times when feeling sea sick.
It worked fine and was not enough to make them sleepy.

i agree with going drug free, and using sea bands, we went in june with daughter who was in 1st tri-mester of pregnancy, they worked great, one night i was a little woozy and she let me borrow them and done correctly they worked like a charm , i highly recommend them and i'm a nurse! also benedryl can be used for motion sickness but they may make little ones sleepy, i'd go with the sesabands.

My dd was 6 and her ped. advised me to give her 1/2 of the bonine tablet - worked great! There is even a little line down the middle of the pill to show you where to cut it. We will be cruising again this dec. - she will be 8 and I'll do the same again.

Same here! My dd was 8 last time we cruised and we use 1/2 bonine tablet(per drs. orders) and it worked great!!!

When we cruised last year, I asked our pediatrician about what to give. He said he would wait and see if the kids got sick, and then, take them to the ships doc. Well, I decided that I was not spending $4000 to watch my keds barf. So, I gave each child (7 and 10) a 1/2 a Bonine at bedtime. That way, if it did make them sleepy, most of the effects would be while they were sleeping. Was that the safe, smart thing to do????????? Probably not, but it worked.......and I'll do it again this trip.

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter