Sea life while snorkeling in Tortola

princemickey

Earning My Ears
Scheduled to go snorkeling on an excursion while in Tortola on an upcoming cruise and just wondering if anybody has had any problems with sharks or any other undesirable sea life while in the water. Just kind of putting more thought into if I want to do this since all of the news of people getting attacked. Not going until Dec. if that makes a difference. TIA 8-)

I'm an avid scuba diver and typically I dive at all the ports I can while I cruise. I also go diving in where I live (California) and I also volunteer at a local aquarium where I also dive. I have had numerous encounters with all sorts of various sea life including countless sharks and I've never had any problems and from my experience as long as you don't bother any of the sea life they leave you alone. Some wildlife can be curious about you but I've never felt threatened or unsafe.

I've only snorkled in St. Thomas & Bahamas so can't speak from experience in Tortola. However, I've always been under the impression that shark attacks are VERY rare in the Carribean sea. . . I looked it up and found this:

"Shark attacks in the Caribbean are rare. The chances of being attacked in North America and South Africa are much higher. Florida shark attacks average from 20-30 per year, and the Bahamas has had the most attacks out of all the islands in the Caribbean.
Still, though, the number is extremely small, with 35 attacks since 1896. The rest of the Caribbean islands average less than one attack per year, so it is clear that divers should feel very safe in these waters."

https://rushkult.com/eng/scubamagazine/shark-species-found-in-the-caribbean-sea/

Thank you for the responses. Just trying to see if anybody else has the same feelings as me.... LOL:-)
Maybe I'm just being to paranoid. :-(

Bottom line #1 - any time you are in the ocean, you are in their territory. Yes, even at Castaway Cay.

Bottom line #2 - they are not seeking humans to chomp. In virtually all cases of bites, it was mistaken identity.

Bottom line #3 - you can live your life or you can cower in fear and not do anything.

I went on a snorkeling excursion in Tortola. You can see pictures of it in my signature it’s the Christmas cruise. I had a great time, we saw a lot of fish. I didn’t see any sharks. But know there is always a possibility of a shark when in the ocean, it’s their home and they’ll always be around. Most sharks aren’t interested in people though. I felt perfectly safe while snorkeling there

We’ve been snorkeling near Tortola, St Thomas, St John several times and at “The Caves” near Tortola, Mexico and other places. Beautiful and memorable. We did see a small, (18 in) barracuda checking our boat out.

There were a million + people on U.S. beaches this weekend. Even 1 in a million isn’t very high odds. Driving to the store is more dangerous. Walking down the stairs at night is probably more dangerous.

Don’t pass up on an incredible experience. I wish I could still post my pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter