SDFP: CHANGES COMING!! Beware the 7th of June?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What time do the kiosks open to start to make SDFP? Especially in MK and what if you are in the park for PPO-can you make them early?

I got these phantom children magic bands, will activate them and link to the room, and plan to use to make SDFP as well for rides that aren't super popular for advanced FP.
Can someone confirm that this plan will work?

Need to clarify. So you included two child profiles on your room reservation for phantom guests. When you say "you got" them MagicBands, are you referring to the two bands that will be sent to you by Disney? If so, there is no need to activate them because they'll arrive activated. And they'll already be linked to the room. (A guest can't link a band to a room. A guest can choose which profiles will be on the room reservation - and all of the bands associated with those profiles will work to open the room door.) Or are you saying you purchased bands for the two phantoms? (That would be unnecessary if they're on the resort reservation.)

What time do the kiosks open to start to make SDFP? Especially in MK and what if you are in the park for PPO-can you make them early?

The kiosk in Fantasyland by Mickey's Philharmagic was also open as early as 8:20am (park opening at 9am) last week.

Hello! First of all, THANK YOU to ScrapYap and the other contributors to this thread. We just returned from a trip to WDW last week (Presidents' Week/Half Marathon weekend - crazy crowds). We tried out SDFP for the first time and it was a game changer. We had an absolute blast and were able to do everything we wanted (and then some) multiple times.

I wanted to share a few tips that might help others venturing into this strange new world --

We ordered a set of extra magic bands from the Disney website ahead of time. I'd suggest ordering all one color, and in a color different from any other magic band that you have. This made it so much easier to keep track of which were our "real" bands and which were the SDFP bands. Our first day in the park, the SDFP worked so well we ended up buying another set of bands - in yet another different color. I kept all of the extra magic bands in a ziploc bag in my park bag and doled them out when it was time to get on a ride, and then collected them after we went through the FP line. Honestly, having the single color bands was so easy to manage that, even if I knew someone who had old bands we could use, I would still consider buying a set of single colored bands anyway. It would have been really hard keeping track of different colored bands, especially if you want to try having two sets of SDFP like we did.

I know that you can link your SDFP magic bands either to phantom names on your primary MDE, or you can create a second MDE with a different email address and "house" all of your SDFP magic bands there. We opted to put phantom names on our primary MDE, and I'm very glad we did - it was much easier to see all of our FPs in one place (and in time order), rather than having to swap back and forth between different MDEs to see our FPs. You can click on any FP listed on your MDE and it will show you whose names are listed for that FP, so you'll know which set of bands to use. I named our initial set of phantoms using all of our family's middle names. Our second set of phantoms, I used nicknames for each of us (so Jen became Jenny, Andrew became Andy, etc.) In retrospect, although it was pretty easy to remember which color bands went with which set of names, I could have named us JennyOrange, AndyOrange, etc. to remember that the nicknames went with our orange bands.

It's lovely when you can find a FP kiosk that's not crazy busy so you can really spend some time looking at available FPs and refreshing to see new choices pop up - and they do pop up constantly. With patience and enough refreshing, I had no problem getting any ride we wanted as MK. I even got a 7DMT one day, although it was for late at night, about 45 minutes before park close. I'd say Space and BTMRR were the next most difficult FPs to get. I found the best kiosk at MK to be in Town Hall, as it was almost always deserted. Once I sent my boys on People Mover and made the walk back up there where I could really spend some time refreshing and organizing our FPs. It was kind of stressful if I was using a kiosk at a busy spot (like the one outside of Stitch) and there was a huge line waiting, because I'd feel bad monopolizing the kiosk for too long. The Town Hall kiosk was open along with the rest of Main Street an hour before park opening.

The FP kiosk in Fantasyland by Mickey's Philharmagic was open pre-park opening, and I was allowed to go over there to make my SDFP after we had breakfast at BOG while the rest of the family waited in line for the pre-park opening rides at 7DMT. I'm not sure what time they opened, but one day I was there as early as 8:20 or 8:25 and they were up and running.

MK is BY FAR the best place to utilize SDFP. We went to AK but didn't even try them there, because we were saving them for our afternoon at MK and didn't really need FP there. We also used SDFP at Epcot with very good luck. Around mid-morning I was able to score a Soarin' (I had booked Test Track with our primary FPs) for early afternoon. We went to DHS mid-afternoon one day. Just based on the app, there were NO FPs for any of the "big" rides - RNR, TSMM or TOT.

The best thing of all that happened because of SDFP? We were waiting for the Express Transportation bus at Epcot one day to hop over to DHS. We got talking to the cast member working at the check-in and she said she wanted to give us some magic in the form of FPs for DHS. I thought she was maybe going to give us a FP for RNR or TOT because we had been talking about those rides. Turns out, she gave us 3 "any attraction" FPs - and because we had all of our phantoms on my primary MDE, all "12" of us got those 3 FPs - so we had 36(!!!!!!!) FPs to use in DHS that evening. Needless to say, that might be one of the top highlights of any Disney trip in my boys' eyes!

In all, it was a fantastic trip, and SDFP were a huge help in navigating crazy crowds and wait times. So THANK YOU again, ScrapYap!!!!

I have a question that I hope is not too off topic, but it deals with phantoms and FPs. Since this is one of the most knowledgeable threads, I was hoping someone might know the answer.
Here is the situation: I have a 7 night - one bedroom DVC reservation beginning on a Saturday. On this reservation are 5 family members plus one phantom infant ("Timmy") (for extra MB purposes). I also have a studio reservation for one night only on the next day, Sunday. This reservation has my adult DS and a few more phantoms (DS will be staying with a friend for the remainder of the week). Both reservations are on my MDE. My plan was to book FPs for the five of us (in the 1BR) at 60 days out, for the entire week and then have to spend most of the week booking my DS's FPs, one day at a time (except for the first day when I can book Sunday and Monday). Considering I am on the west coast, I will have to be up by 4am for 6 days that week.:headache:
Since I have Disney on the brain 24/7, a thought came to me this morning. Can I link my DS's 8 day ticket to infant Timmy, book all FPs for Timmy, wait a week, and then move the ticket and associated FP's to DS?

Hello! First of all, THANK YOU to ScrapYap and the other contributors to this thread. We just returned from a trip to WDW last week (Presidents' Week/Half Marathon weekend - crazy crowds). We tried out SDFP for the first time and it was a game changer. We had an absolute blast and were able to do everything we wanted (and then some) multiple times.

I wanted to share a few tips that might help others venturing into this strange new world --

We ordered a set of extra magic bands from the Disney website ahead of time. I'd suggest ordering all one color, and in a color different from any other magic band that you have. This made it so much easier to keep track of which were our "real" bands and which were the SDFP bands. Our first day in the park, the SDFP worked so well we ended up buying another set of bands - in yet another different color. I kept all of the extra magic bands in a ziploc bag in my park bag and doled them out when it was time to get on a ride, and then collected them after we went through the FP line. Honestly, having the single color bands was so easy to manage that, even if I knew someone who had old bands we could use, I would still consider buying a set of single colored bands anyway. It would have been really hard keeping track of different colored bands, especially if you want to try having two sets of SDFP like we did.

I know that you can link your SDFP magic bands either to phantom names on your primary MDE, or you can create a second MDE with a different email address and "house" all of your SDFP magic bands there. We opted to put phantom names on our primary MDE, and I'm very glad we did - it was much easier to see all of our FPs in one place (and in time order), rather than having to swap back and forth between different MDEs to see our FPs. You can click on any FP listed on your MDE and it will show you whose names are listed for that FP, so you'll know which set of bands to use. I named our initial set of phantoms using all of our family's middle names. Our second set of phantoms, I used nicknames for each of us (so Jen became Jenny, Andrew became Andy, etc.) In retrospect, although it was pretty easy to remember which color bands went with which set of names, I could have named us JennyOrange, AndyOrange, etc. to remember that the nicknames went with our orange bands.

It's lovely when you can find a FP kiosk that's not crazy busy so you can really spend some time looking at available FPs and refreshing to see new choices pop up - and they do pop up constantly. With patience and enough refreshing, I had no problem getting any ride we wanted as MK. I even got a 7DMT one day, although it was for late at night, about 45 minutes before park close. I'd say Space and BTMRR were the next most difficult FPs to get. I found the best kiosk at MK to be in Town Hall, as it was almost always deserted. Once I sent my boys on People Mover and made the walk back up there where I could really spend some time refreshing and organizing our FPs. It was kind of stressful if I was using a kiosk at a busy spot (like the one outside of Stitch) and there was a huge line waiting, because I'd feel bad monopolizing the kiosk for too long. The Town Hall kiosk was open along with the rest of Main Street an hour before park opening.

The FP kiosk in Fantasyland by Mickey's Philharmagic was open pre-park opening, and I was allowed to go over there to make my SDFP after we had breakfast at BOG while the rest of the family waited in line for the pre-park opening rides at 7DMT. I'm not sure what time they opened, but one day I was there as early as 8:20 or 8:25 and they were up and running.

MK is BY FAR the best place to utilize SDFP. We went to AK but didn't even try them there, because we were saving them for our afternoon at MK and didn't really need FP there. We also used SDFP at Epcot with very good luck. Around mid-morning I was able to score a Soarin' (I had booked Test Track with our primary FPs) for early afternoon. We went to DHS mid-afternoon one day. Just based on the app, there were NO FPs for any of the "big" rides - RNR, TSMM or TOT.

The best thing of all that happened because of SDFP? We were waiting for the Express Transportation bus at Epcot one day to hop over to DHS. We got talking to the cast member working at the check-in and she said she wanted to give us some magic in the form of FPs for DHS. I thought she was maybe going to give us a FP for RNR or TOT because we had been talking about those rides. Turns out, she gave us 3 "any attraction" FPs - and because we had all of our phantoms on my primary MDE, all "12" of us got those 3 FPs - so we had 36(!!!!!!!) FPs to use in DHS that evening. Needless to say, that might be one of the top highlights of any Disney trip in my boys' eyes!

In all, it was a fantastic trip, and SDFP were a huge help in navigating crazy crowds and wait times. So THANK YOU again, ScrapYap!!!!

Great, great job applying all the strategies laid out in the first post, including the color-coded MagicBands. That really reduces stress, doesn't it? :)

Had to laugh at your Express Bus DHS surprise! That was some hefty Disney magic - thanks to your great planning!

Great advice. Couple questions please? When you use the kiosk, do you just use one phantom band to book and then on kiosk screen add the extra phantom members? How do you link the phantom bands to MDE-do they come with a code per band?

Great advice. Couple questions please? When you use the kiosk, do you just use one phantom band to book and then on kiosk screen add the extra phantom members? How do you link the phantom bands to MDE-do they come with a code per band?

I found that when I used the kiosk first thing each morning, I had to scan each band and then could make FPs for us as a group. When I went back the same day to make a 4th or 5th FP, I believe I could just scan one band and that whole group of bands popped up. The next day I had to scan all 4 bands again when I made our first SDFP.

Yes, there is a code on the back of each band that you can use to link to your phantoms. In the MDE app, go My Account -> Magic Bands and Cards -> Link a Magic Band or Card -> enter the ID number. The next screen asks who you want to link it to. Just be very careful you pick the right person/phantom as you can't undo this step. Once you get the hang of it, it's super easy and takes just a minute or two per band.

Marcie has photos of the kiosk process on the first page of the thread. And you might want to make sure you read the first post (which includes information about finding the codes on the bands) to avoid any problems that might otherwise arise for you.

I have a question that I hope is not too off topic, but it deals with phantoms and FPs. Since this is one of the most knowledgeable threads, I was hoping someone might know the answer.
Here is the situation: I have a 7 night - one bedroom DVC reservation beginning on a Saturday. On this reservation are 5 family members plus one phantom infant ("Timmy") (for extra MB purposes). I also have a studio reservation for one night only on the next day, Sunday. This reservation has my adult DS and a few more phantoms (DS will be staying with a friend for the remainder of the week). Both reservations are on my MDE. My plan was to book FPs for the five of us (in the 1BR) at 60 days out, for the entire week and then have to spend most of the week booking my DS's FPs, one day at a time (except for the first day when I can book Sunday and Monday). Considering I am on the west coast, I will have to be up by 4am for 6 days that week.:headache:
Since I have Disney on the brain 24/7, a thought came to me this morning. Can I link my DS's 8 day ticket to infant Timmy, book all FPs for Timmy, wait a week, and then move the ticket and associated FP's to DS?

That could get tricky.

But there's no need to do it. Your 60 day window will umbrella over any other ticketed guests in your FP party, such as your DS, who are not on that reservation (provided you include at least one profile from the resort reservation when booking the FP). Give it a try - it will work! :)

That could get tricky.

But there's no need to do it. Your 60 day window will umbrella over any other ticketed guests in your FP party, such as your DS, who are not on that reservation (provided you include at least one profile from the resort reservation when booking the FP). Give it a try - it will work! :)
Thank you, that's sounds so much better. I didn't think it would work that way, since it seems to be a large loophole.

The kiosks in Town Hall at MK were operational for our PPO breakfast in December.
I looked on the website and it does not list a Kiosk located on Main Street (I assume that is the town hall you are talking about).

It lists, a Kiosk @mickey's PhillharMagic, The Diamond Horshoe, Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear & Stitch's Great Escape.

Is this an unadvertised location?

Thank you, that's sounds so much better. I didn't think it would work that way, since it seems to be a large loophole.

The umbrella coverage of non-resort guests from resort guest FP windows isn't really a loophole - it's there permanently, on purpose, to allow families and groups to plan together and spend their park days together.

I have a question regarding previously linked MagicBands. I read every post and did not see an answer - if I missed it, I apologize.

A friend gave me her previously used MagicBands. All of which have already been linked and have names on the MagicBands. My question is this...she gave me a box with several MagicBands, example Joe has 4, Ali has 4, Tammy has 3, Alex has 4 (fake names :)), how do I know which MBE to use? Do I need to somehow find the four MagicBands that were used during the same vacation? What if I grab Joe's from 2012 and then Tammy's from 2013, will this create an issue?

I have a question regarding previously linked MagicBands. I read every post and did not see an answer - if I missed it, I apologize.

A friend gave me her previously used MagicBands. All of which have already been linked and have names on the MagicBands. My question is this...she gave me a box with several MagicBands, example Joe has 4, Ali has 4, Tammy has 3, Alex has 4 (fake names :)), how do I know which MBE to use? Do I need to somehow find the four MagicBands that were used during the same vacation? What if I grab Joe's from 2012 and then Tammy's from 2013, will this create an issue?

First of all, you need to find out how many unique profiles are represented by the bands you're borrowing. Presumably Joe's 4 MagicBands are clones of each other? Or maybe not? Your friend would have to consult the MagicBands and Cards section of her MDE and compare the codes inside Joe's 2012 band with the code inside Joe's 2013 band. If both are listed under Joe's profile, you know that those bands are clones of each other - and you can't make SDFP at the kiosks with more than one of Joe's bands (using Joe as an example).

You can find an explanation of "clones" on the first post of the thread. No need to read every post. Just the first one. Use the Ctrl F function to search for the word "treasure."

It makes no difference which of Joe's bands you use. They don't have to "match" with Tammy's, etc. in any way. You can use any one of Joe's bands - but only one. And any one of Tammy's - but only one. Etc.

I looked on the website and it does not list a Kiosk located on Main Street (I assume that is the town hall you are talking about).

It lists, a Kiosk @mickey's PhillharMagic, The Diamond Horshoe, Jungle Cruise, Buzz Lightyear & Stitch's Great Escape.

Is this an unadvertised location?

There is definitely a FP kiosk inside Town Hall. We used it last week.
Yep. ^This^ In fact IIRC there are 2 kiosks in there. If there is a line of guests waiting to get in to City Hall, don't assume it's the FP kiosk line. It's most likely guests that are waiting to speak to a CM at the guest relations counter for one reason or another. There is a side door on the right side of Town Hall that is right by the kiosks.

Last edited:
The kiosks are in City Hall, not Town Hall. City Hall is on your left as you enter Town Square. The Town Square Exposition Hall is on your right.

As you're standing in front of City Hall, the side door is on the right hand side of the building. It's definitely best to use the side door. If you use a front door, the people in line will think you're line cutters! (There's virtually never a line for the kiosks.)

The kiosks are in City Hall, not Town Hall. City Hall is on your left as you enter Town Square. The Town Square Exposition Hall is on your right.

As you're standing in front of City Hall, the side door is on the right hand side of the building. It's definitely best to use the side door. If you use a front door, the people in line will think you're line cutters! (There's virtually never a line for the kiosks.)
Thanks for that correction. I went back and edited my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter