Screamin' Intensity?

ParksPixar&Pizza

Mouseketeer
Going to DLR for the first time in a week and I can't decide if I would be able to handle Screamin'. Is it pretty intense or mild? Ive watched POVs and it doesn't look TOO bad...?

I'm not a big roller coaster fan, but I can do it!! The drops aren't huge, the loop isn't bad either. It's fast, which is fun! You do have to prepare yourself for the start, which is very fast...zero to who knows how fast very quickly. It can leave your stomach behind! But really, if I can do it, most people could. I'm a lightweight when it comes to roller coasters. I'm not like my kids though...I can't ride it over and over. Once or twice a trip will do it for me!

Compared to major roller coasters at places like 6 Flags, I'd say it's mild. But compared to everything else at DLR, it's very intense. There are only a couple of big drops, and they're not as bad as I thought they'd be, but they're still just about the limit of what I can handle (I'm a wimp when it comes to drops). Some people have trouble with the sudden acceleration or the loop though.

Compared to major roller coasters at places like 6 Flags, I'd say it's mild. But compared to everything else at DLR, it's very intense.

I agree with this -- it is no hypercoaster, but it's the most intense coaster at DLR. The other thing to keep in mind is that, as roller coasters go, the ride is pretty long. If you freak out at the launch, it will be a long time before you are back on solid ground again.

But our family loves it! Ride at night for best results...

The takeoff is hard on me (my lungs specifically), and that reminds me of Rock 'n Roller Coaster, but NOTHING else about it reminds me of that ride (I despise RnRC). The rest of Screamin' is like the Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk if you've ever been there, but smoother and safer-feeling. It's a big FUN coaster IMO.

the invert is the hardest part for me....messes up my head, other than that I love it and I get motion sick pretty easy.
Very smooth.

I hated every minute of it and felt like my shoe was coming off, never again! I love Space, Matterhorn, Big Thunder, but will not go on Screamin'!

Midnightred

It's my favorite loop coaster. I don't go to Magic Mountain anymore because those coasters have my head hitting the restraints & I end up with a headache. California Screamin' is so smooth and fun to ride, and it's kind of long, which is another plus if you like coasters.

Thanks everyone! I think im going to do it based off everyone's comments. The main thing I struggle with is the drops, so if they aren't too bad..lets do it!!

If the drops are you're biggest concern I would sit near the front. The back seems to tailwhip you over the drop and it makes it feel a little more intense

You can alleviate some of the issues people have with the ride. For the start, head facing forward, air back in your seat, it's not as jarring. For the loop, close your eyes. You'd be surprised how hard it is to tell you're inverting if you can't see any landmarks. Drops and turns, look at the seat back in front of you and not what the other cars on the train are doing up ahead. Some people don't like the stomach drop feeling which I only feel on the bunny hills. I don't know a solution for that. The thing on that ride that gets me every time is the sudden stop at the end. I get almost a headache every time. And it's too bad, because it's such a great ride up to that point.

According to my granddaughter (just after turning 5) she told her dad (via facetime) after her first ride "it was just like sitting on your bed." And we lied to her, there was no loop. It took a couple more rides with her cousin telling her "Here is the loop" before she believed there was a loop.

13718584_10210155949678787_4671229249835544197_n.jpg

If drops are your issue, I can relate. They're manageable. There are only two big ones, and my suggestion would be to remember where they are so you can enjoy the rest of the ride without looking out for the next drop. The first one is right at the beginning, and that's the worst one IMO but it's over so quickly. The other one won't take you by surprise because you taxi up the ramp first. It looks like a bad drop because you're so high up, but stay calm. You turn during that drop, so it's not straight down and not as big as it looks. Then there are just some small bunny hops at the end. As for where to sit, the standard advice is to sit in the front. It is true that the drops don't feel as bad in the front because you haven't picked up full speed yet when you're on the steepest part of the drop. On the other hand, for the second drop, the front makes it over the top and kind of hangs there for a moment while the rest of the cars make it up the hill, so that can be a little nerve wracking if you have hard time with the anticipation.

Good luck!

According to my granddaughter (just after turning 5) she told her dad (via facetime) after her first ride "it was just like sitting on your bed." And we lied to her, there was no loop. It took a couple more rides with her cousin telling her "Here is the loop" before she believed there was a loop.
The first time I rode Batman at SFMM it was night time and afterwards I told my friends I thought that ride inverted and they said we had 3 times. It turns out the ride actually has 5 inversions. So then I went on Viper with my eyes closed and could only feel the big loop and the double corkscrew, and that ride as 7 inversions.

Screaming is not bad at all for a roller coaster. The key to it, and any coaster, is to keep your eyes open and smile. I'm serious. Smiling really does affect your mood. It will set you at ease. And keeping your eyes open will help prevent nausea. Closing your eyes promotes it.

The thing I hate about coasters, and the reason I don't go on many, is that long slow ascent to the top, before finally taking off.
I loooove Screamin because it just starts off fast. It's not uncomfortable at all. I just can't keep the smile off my face while I'm on it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter