Scooter falls off monorail ramp

Personally if I had to be pushed in a wheelchair rather than navigate myself on ECV, I doubt I would ever go to WDW. It is too much for my husband to tolerate. We get one ECV and share riding it as we are both capable of walking a fair amount but after a couple days at Disney I become a cripple in constant pain. I tried going without last trip and by third day I had to rent a Disney clunker just to get around at all. Having an ECV and being very good at driving it makes me enjoy my trips. I have always been an active person but illnesses and older age come with consequences. I have learned that I will do what I need to do to keep going and if someone doesn't like it ,then its says more about them then me. We all get old but some of us refused to accept it and maximize tools available to us.

gdrj-I am wondering why would using wheelchairs more would be a solution to bus issues? Don't they still take up the same space on the bus as the ECV? We are 70 now and my spouse needs some assistance to be able to enjoy the parks but I don't have the strength any longer to push her in a wheel chair. It hurts her pride a bit, but an ECV is our solution to this problem. We try to be very considerate of others but without the EVC our days in the parks together would be over. We do really look forward to going for as long as we are still able. Until I started reading these threads, I had no idea how many people resented those who use ECVs.Fortunately, the people we encounter at the bus and the drivers who assist us are typically very kind. I am so sorry to hear it ruins so many others good times.

To be clear I dont resent people with mobility issues. I just foresee Main St USA becoming gridlock like I-4. I dont know if there is an answer that would satisfy most. For those who use ECV that can get up and walk and transfer on their own, do you eliminate ECV’s with some form of in Park transportation that. Should ECV’s be limited on where they can go. After parades should they be forced to wait to exit or have an alternate exit? Should the size and speed be limited?

Like you my wife and I will continue to visit as long as we can, and would probably do what you are doing if needed and allowed. There will come a point which there may need to be a max capacity of ECVs in a park. Next time you are at the park, sit and people watch, and observe how some people weaponize their ECV’s are use it to transport 2 kiddos on top of Grandmom, or how some barrel through.

I'm truly surprised this doesn't happen more often. Then curbs are difficult to see, especially at night.

You are so correct - even for walkers! Except for dh & I holding hands (especially in crowds, say after fireworks) I have stumbled a few times, and would have fallen. Why do they 'need' curbs - just make slopes!! :confused3

For those who use ECV that can get up and walk and transfer on their own, do you eliminate ECV’s with some form of in Park transportation that.
I have often wished for a tram that would move through AK and Epcot from the front to back of the park!

...There will come a point which there may need to be a max capacity of ECVs in a park. ...
That would (should) also be the declaration of "Level 4 Closure" whereby no more guests would be admitted to that park until some guests leave.

here right now and just saw a guest on a scooter falling off the ramp while leaving the monorail black, monorail red is holding just before TTC on the resort loop.

Really hope the lady is ok but the resort loop is out of service at the moment.
Hope they’re okay.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state my opinion that if you can operate your (regular) ECV with your feet ... you shouldn't be using an ECV. (If it's a pedal-powered model specifically MEANT to be steered with the feet, that would be different.)

Honestly, while I am all for the development of mobility devices, for public safety reasons I think that motorized versions should have licensing requirements. No charge to get the license, but you should have to be able to pass a simulator driving test before using one in a public place. ECV's are large and heavy, especially with a passenger in them, and for the safety of both their operators and nearby pedestrians, I think it is reasonable to develop a universal licensing system for them, and to suspend the licenses of those who lose the ability to safety operate them.

Just like a car rental agency won't let you drive away if you cannot show a valid operator license, a mobility scooter rental concession operator should not, either.

Last edited:

never mind the scooters, have you seen the strollers!?!? o_O

(i kid! we've actually made use of both scooters and strollers in the past. no judgement here!)

There was an incident at my mom’s senior living community where a woman on a ECV hit a car that had pulled up and stopped to unload at the portico and the front entrance. There was no incline involved. Her privileges to drive the ECV were revoked. There are many residents who use ECV’s there. Not everyone should be driving them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter