School Lunches

Goodness, here's a brilliant idea ~ bring back recess and PE for the kids! :idea:

Thankfully, our school still has common sense and has both.

That's once piece of it. We still have both as well. But giving kids nutritious food to fuel their bodies is just as important if not more so.

First of all, nobody is asking the schools to solve a social problem, just to not contribute to it. There is a big difference.

Secondly, nobody is saying that people can't buy soda. They're saying that the government should not sell it. If someone wants to give their kid soda, pack it in the lunch themselves.

I see nothing coercive about this. All the schools are doing is saying they won't provide junk food. They're not saying that you can't eat it or serve it to your kids. I am aware that some schools have banned sack lunches or that they don't allow certain items to be sent in them, but that's a seperate issue to what the schools serve and I'm opposed to those kinds of things as I'm sure most people are.

Clearly some tweaking may be in order, but to declare something a failure after one month doesn't make sense. If there are better ideas on how to improve school lunches they should be brought forth, but giving up isn't a better idea.

I am not the poster you quoted but I am pretty sure they are referencing NY banning sodas over 16oz for EVERYONE not in the schools. So this means as a grown adult you can't buy a soda over 16 oz.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/13/health/new-york-soda-ban/index.html

Oh OK, that's a little off topic but if that's what they're reffering to, I agree.

I am opposed to soda being sold in schools though.

Oh yeah..they don't sell soda in K-8 here..it was banned many years ago. I am not certain what the rules in high school are and if it is allowed or not.

I'm not a fan of this. I'm not a fan of the idea that schools can or should solve wider social problems. Schools are stretched as far as they can be stretched to solve educational problems. I do think most educational problems can be attributed to wider social issues, but no way are schools equipped or funded to take those things on.

I'm also not a fan of the idea that the government can change people's eating habits by fiat. So, while I don't drink soda, I think restricting people's right to buy soda in whatever volume is nonsensical. There are lots of things that goverment can and should do that will encourage people to develop healthier habits without being coercive.

We're a month into the school year and the volume of trash is showing no signs of abating, so I'm not buying the idea that the way to get kids to eat overcooked, wrinkled green beans with their french toast is to just keep serving them.

I don't think anyone is proposing that they can solve the problem of obesity and poor nutrition, but they don't have to contribute to or reinforce it either.

I don't see a parallel with the soda ban because that is a restriction that tells adults what they can do with their own hard-earned money. Nutritional standards for the school lunch program set rules for a *taxpayer funded* program. That's a material difference IMO - one infringes on the freedom of individuals and businesses, while the other is strictly limited to the confines of an optional program.

As far as the waste issue, that's no reason to throw out the new standards. It may, however, be a very good reason to revise the school's food service procedures or contracts. Our schools have managed to meet the new standards without serving mushy green beans and most of the kids are able to find something they like (even if it is just baby carrots with ranch dip and an apple - raw fruit & veggies are FAR more popular than cooked with most kids I know). It can be done, but it is up to parents, students, and staff to bring the issue to their school boards and find a way to offer meals that meet the standards in a way that a majority of kids will accept.

I don't think anyone is proposing that they can solve the problem of obesity and poor nutrition, but they don't have to contribute to or reinforce it either.

I don't see a parallel with the soda ban because that is a restriction that tells adults what they can do with their own hard-earned money. Nutritional standards for the school lunch program set rules for a *taxpayer funded* program. That's a material difference IMO - one infringes on the freedom of individuals and businesses, while the other is strictly limited to the confines of an optional program.

As far as the waste issue, that's no reason to throw out the new standards. It may, however, be a very good reason to revise the school's food service procedures or contracts. Our schools have managed to meet the new standards without serving mushy green beans and most of the kids are able to find something they like (even if it is just baby carrots with ranch dip and an apple - raw fruit & veggies are FAR more popular than cooked with most kids I know). It can be done, but it is up to parents, students, and staff to bring the issue to their school boards and find a way to offer meals that meet the standards in a way that a majority of kids will accept.

I really agree with the bold. I also stand behind my belief that if the food is poorly prepared or seasoned now it is highly unlikely it is something brand new..if you can't prepare brown rice then you couldn't prepare white for example. If parents/students are finding the food, the combos or the flavors icky they need to advocate for new vendors, new menu options or give feedback to the cafeteria manager regarding the quality of the food. If they are unable to prepare foods well a change isn't going to happen overnight.

Our district takes feedback and works to incorporate into the menu when reasonable and possible. Suggestions on fresh fruit options to introduce (they brought in kiwi last year due to parent/student suggestions..I think there were others but kiwi stands out to me for some reason), suggestions on menu combos (like green beans with french toast = yuck) and so on.

I really don't see the issue here. If someone wants their kid to have crap food for lunch, they're free to pack it for them.

All the change is doing is making sure that the school, and by extension the government, aren't purveyors of junk food, obesity and diabetes. I'm sorry, but that's a good thing by any measure.

If your children won't eat that stuff, you have two options. You can pack them a lunch full of what they will eat or you can tell them "tough doodoo, if you don't like it you can starve". If you do the latter, they'll eventually eat the food.

They're just kids. We're the leaders, not them. They eat what we provide or they don't eat at all. They're not the boss and they don't get to live on chicken nuggets and hot dogs just because they're tasty. IMO, parents who give into that are not doing their job.

Personally, I think the main outrage over this is the same as all the other fake outrage over the last four years. It has more to do with whose idea this was than the idea itself. Petty and sad, but that's what I've come to expect and I'm usually not disappointed.

I agree to a certain point. However, some of the kids that "buy" lunch are actually on the free lunch program and may not have food in their house. I'm sorry but 2 chicken nuggets is not enough protein for a child. Maybe if they were 2 but certainly not school age.

I agree to a certain point. However, some of the kids that "buy" lunch are actually on the free lunch program and may not have food in their house. I'm sorry but 2 chicken nuggets is not enough protein for a child. Maybe if they were 2 but certainly not school age.

For one meal yeah it is.

5 chicken nuggets have somewhere around 12-14 grams of protein (obviously can vary slightly based on size of nuggets).

Children aged 4-8 need 19 grams of protein for the DAY! Kids aged 9-13 need 34 grams. So for kids 9-13 a serving of 5 chicken nuggets (recommended serving size on the frozen nuggets) would be almost HALF the protein they need for the ENTIRE DAY in just one meal.

Protein is not the end all be all for a meal..kids getting 2 nuggets are getting plenty of protein for that meal. So many people clearly have no idea what a reasonable portion size is (not only for themselves but for children) and what is recommended per day for children in regards to proteins, veggies, fruits..etc.

http://www.cdc.gov/nutrition/everyone/basics/protein.html

For one meal yeah it is.

5 chicken nuggets have somewhere around 12-14 grams of protein (obviously can vary slightly based on size of nuggets).

Children aged 4-8 need 19 grams of protein for the DAY! Kids aged 9-13 need 34 grams. So for kids 9-13 a serving of 5 chicken nuggets (recommended serving size on the frozen nuggets) would be almost HALF the protein they need for the ENTIRE DAY in just one meal.

Protein is not the end all be all for a meal..kids getting 2 nuggets are getting plenty of protein for that meal. So many people clearly have no idea what a reasonable portion size is (not only for themselves but for children) and what is recommended per day for children in regards to proteins, veggies, fruits..etc.

Sorry, but no it isn't. that is 4 bites at the most. YOu can believe all the USDA /Govt/CDC crap you want, this is the same institution that said we should be eating all those carbs, and now, guess what the Dr's are saying this is what is making America fat. OUr pyramid is so screwed up, we don't know what is healthy and what isn't. Lean protein, lots of veggies, GOOD carbs, and the school wouldn't know what that was if it bit them in the butt.

Sorry, but no it isn't. that is 4 bites at the most. YOu can believe all the USDA /Govt/CDC crap you want, this is the same institution that said we should be eating all those carbs, and now, guess what the Dr's are saying this is what is making America fat. OUr pyramid is so screwed up, we don't know what is healthy and what isn't. Lean protein, lots of veggies, GOOD carbs, and the school wouldn't know what that was if it bit them in the butt.

Oh I am sure you know far better than they do..what was I thinking :rotfl2:

ETA-You also act like those "4 bites" of nugget are the only food being served to them. They also have a full serving of fruit and a full serving of vegetables, a grain and dairy (milk). Oh the horror.

It is surprising at how nutritionalists often disagree with each other, on what is healthy to eat and what isn't. With that said, I guess the main idea behind the new fewer calorie lunches is to help being about weight loss in obese students.

With students going hungry and growing tried, I wonder if studies where done on these new school lunches to see if they helped bring about weight loss, improved health and school learning too? After seeing the meals being served from the TV show, I'm doubting this was done.

I do recall reading a few studies on foods that cause the greatest feeling of satiety, on obesity researcher Dr. Guyenet's sight though:

"Palatability, Satiety and Calorie Intake"

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/02/palatability-satiety-and-calorie-intake.html

&

"Paleolithic Diet Clinical Trials, Part V"

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/01/paleolithic-diet-clinical-trials-part-v.html

snippet from his article:

Dr. Staffan Lindeberg's group has published a new paleolithic diet paper in the journal Nutrition and Metabolism, titled "A Paleolithic Diet is More Satiating per Calorie than a Mediterranean-like Diet in Individuals with Ischemic Heart Disease" (1).

The data in this paper are from the same intervention as his group's 2007 paper in Diabetologia (2). To review the results of this paper, 12 weeks of a Paleolithic-style diet caused impressive fat loss and improvement in glucose tolerance, compared to 12 weeks of a Mediterranean-style diet, in volunteers with pre-diabetes or diabetes and ischemic heart disease. Participants who started off with diabetes ended up without it. A Paleolithic diet excludes grains, dairy, legumes and any other category of food that was not a major human food source prior to agriculture. I commented on this study a while back (3, 4).

One of the most intriguing findings in his 2007 study was the low calorie intake of the Paleolithic group. Despite receiving no instruction to reduce calorie intake, the Paleolithic group only ate 1,388 calories per day, compared to 1,823 calories per day for the Mediterranean group*. That's a remarkably low ad libitum calorie intake in the former (and a fairly low intake in the latter as well).

With such a low calorie intake over 12 weeks, you might think the Paleolithic group was starving. Fortunately, the authors had the foresight to measure satiety, or fullness, in both groups during the intervention. They found that satiety was almost identical in the two groups, despite the 24% lower calorie intake of the Paleolithic group. In other words, the Paleolithic group was just as full as the Mediterranean group, despite a considerably lower intake of calories....

Oh I am sure you know far better than they do..what was I thinking :rotfl2:

Could you please show me where I said that I know more than they do. Again, just going by all the info out there on the blessed "food pyramid" and how wrong they were in what they said to eat.

It is surprising at how nutritionalists often disagree with each other, on what is healthy to eat and what isn't. With that said, I guess the main idea behind the new fewer calorie lunches is to help being about weight loss in obese students.

With students going hungry and growing tried, I wonder if studies where done on these new school lunches to see if they helped bring about weight loss, improved health and school learning too? After seeing the meals being served from the TV show, I'm doubting this was done.

I do recall reading a few studies on foods that cause the greatest feeling of satiety, on obesity researcher Dr. Guyenet's sight though:

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2012/02/palatability-satiety-and-calorie-intake.html

&

http://wholehealthsource.blogspot.com/2011/01/paleolithic-diet-clinical-trials-part-v.html

But most kids at least in our schools, don't need weight loss.

For one meal yeah it is.

Yeah, no.

What does how many bites it is have to do with anything?

It's more than enough protein, and I think any kid would be FAR better off with some other source of protein, or less protein in lunch than that even provides, than eating chicken nuggets.

Many, many people do have a very skewed idea of what people need nutritionally, and how much is in various things and etc.

Especially protein. People are like, obsessed with it and Americans, in general, eat far, far too much protein. Eating too much protein causes kidney problems, as well as other issues, depending on what kinds of protein.

You say above the government said we should eat carbs and doctors say this is what's making us fat - that's ... not true? I don't really even understand what you mean as you later say people should eat good carbs, which is what the RDA has always stressed, grains, fibre, etc.

A lot of people are saying kids can have up to four choices of produce, and a previous thing said those servings had been upped to a cup. A cup of broccoli, one of carrots, a cup of lettuce, an apple, a couple of nuggets ( :crazy2: ) and some rice or a roll or whatever is plenty for lunch.

That's the other thing - I've seen people talking (both here in numerous threads and in some of those articles) about kids not being full enough.

There was a thread a while back from someone asking what to pack for lunch because her elementary kid wasn't "full enough" with a sandwich, an apple, crackers, a drink and a dessert. It was like....

There's clearly a distorted expectation or two there, that eating a meal should leave one feeling some version of stuffed, that eating will lead to an immediate feeling of 'fullness' and when it doesn't, keep eating until it does (which will inevitably lead to overeating, as it takes a decent while for that information to register), etc.

For one meal yeah it is.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree. What is the portion size on the chicken nuggets? Are they baked or fried? Are they white meat or a combination of white and dark meat? All of this comes into play. I would think 4 chicken nuggets are more in line with what the elementary children should be eating. Of the bags I checked online, the portion size was 4 nuggets and they contained 11g of protein. On the tray in the article, there were 2 nuggets which is 1/2 serving or 5.5 g of protein. The article also said, " In general, it's recommended that 10–35%". So what % did their calculation use? Activity is also not included. The competitive swimmer that is going to the pool for 2 hours after school needs a lot more than 2 nuggets, same for that soccer player, dancer etc.

&

I agree. It is quite interesting how people in the nutrition field seem to disagree with each other. I think it shouldn't be just decreasing the calories though. It still needs to be well balanced.

What does how many bites it is have to do with anything?

It's more than enough protein, and I think any kid would be FAR better off with some other source of protein, or less protein in lunch than that even provides, than eating chicken nuggets.

Many, many people do have a very skewed idea of what people need nutritionally, and how much is in various things and etc.

Especially protein. People are like, obsessed with it and Americans, in general, eat far, far too much protein. Eating too much protein causes kidney problems, as well as other issues, depending on what kinds of protein.

You say above the government said we should eat carbs and doctors say this is what's making us fat - that's ... not true? I don't really even understand what you mean as you later say people should eat good carbs, which is what the RDA has always stressed, grains, fibre, etc.

A lot of people are saying kids can have up to four choices of produce, and a previous thing said those servings had been upped to a cup. A cup of broccoli, one of carrots, a cup of lettuce, an apple, a couple of nuggets ( :crazy2: ) and some rice or a roll or whatever is plenty for lunch.

That's the other thing - I've seen people talking (both here in numerous threads and in some of those articles) about kids not being full enough.

There was a thread a while back from someone asking what to pack for lunch because her elementary kid wasn't "full enough" with a sandwich, an apple, crackers, a drink and a dessert. It was like....

There's clearly a distorted expectation or two there, that eating a meal should leave one feeling some version of stuffed, that eating will lead to an immediate feeling of 'fullness' and when it doesn't, keep eating until it does (which will inevitably lead to overeating, as it takes a decent while for that information to register), etc.

We do agree on chicken nuggets, they shouldn't even be there. But I disagree on the carb thing. WE are not protein obsessed and all my Dr's and my DH's drs have stated that we are all eating for too many carbs. Protein fills you up, not carbs. I am not talking about stuffing yourself with protein, but I am of the exact opposite of you, I also believe that you are a vegetarian, so I believe you would be against any animal protein. It isn't the bad thing that it is made out to be. Chicken nuggets bad, lean protein good. And again I disagree about your cup of broccoli, carrots and rice and 2 nuggets being enough, yes they would be full for a while, but these kids need to stay full for longer than just a while. I have managed to raise 3 kids that aren't fat in the least, so I do have some first hand knowledge of what a kid needs and doesn't need in order to stay in the correct weight range.

Could you please show me where I said that I know more than they do. Again, just going by all the info out there on the blessed "food pyramid" and how wrong they were in what they said to eat.

Do please show me when it was stated we should eat tons of carbs and how that relates to the "food pyramid"? You also know that the pyramid has since been replaced, right?

Why do you think kids need 12-14 grams of protein in one meal?

Sorry, I respectfully disagree. What is the portion size on the chicken nuggets? Are they baked or fried? Are they white meat or a combination of white and dark meat? All of this comes into play. I would think 4 chicken nuggets are more in line with what the elementary children should be eating.

I agree. It is quite interesting how people in the nutrition field seem to disagree with each other. I think it shouldn't be just decreasing the calories though. It still needs to be well balanced.

This is my point also, if experts can't agree, then how do some here seem to know exactly what is acceptable and what isn't. Although some seem to and then laugh at those of us who dare to question them. That is ok though, I don't back down that easy.

Sorry, I respectfully disagree. What is the portion size on the chicken nuggets? Are they baked or fried? Are they white meat or a combination of white and dark meat? All of this comes into play. I would think 4 chicken nuggets are more in line with what the elementary children should be eating.

And your opinion on that is based on what exactly? Because you just think it is so or you have actual data that shows 4 is necessary vs 2.

It's baked, white meat chicken nuggets that I was looking at.

Here is an example that shows you protein for 4 breaded, white meat chicken nuggets: http://www.fosterfarms.com/products/product.asp?productcode=90969

13 grams of protein in those 4 nuggets and that is almost 1/2 the DAILY needs for kids 8-13. Then factor in the 160 calories and 80 fat calories and 9 grams of fat.

I agree with cornflake in regards to the whole protein obsession thing. People eat way more than is necessary and think way more is necessary than really is.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter