School Bans Mother's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds like you don't know what tolerant actual means.
This has nothing to do with tolerance or the pc police or any other buzz words used to make it seem like more than it is.
It's really much ado about nothing.

How much of a heartless jerk do you have to be to refer to children who have lost a parent or for whatever reason are missing a parent in their lives as "potential snowflakes"..:sad2:
Maybe the real snowflakes are adults that are so sensitive about their kid making a macaroni necklace at school.

Gotta agree with you here.

Honestly, *public* schools should be about schooling. Not about making macaroni necklaces for mom or a psychedelic golf ball tee for dad. Yeah, it's fun. Crafts are fun. But if you have craft time, just do crafts. Public schooling should be very "vanilla" with regard to extras such as this...period. I'm an old person and, back in MY day, we just didn't have stuff like this. Then it seems we went through a period of time where every event was celebrated, recognized, etc. Seems to me they should just go back to doing what they are paid to do: educating children.

Schools could take Mother's Day as a teaching moment for other types of families where a mother isn't present. Or focus on academics and ignore the day entirely.

Seems like better use of the school day than flaying against reality, putting your fingers in your ears, and saying "you're living situation doesn't matter, just make the Mother's Day card because that's what normal kids did in the 60's!"

My mom always said Mother's Day for her was my birthday. No gifts needed.

My kids are 26 and 30, and DW and I still have every mother's and father's day trinket they made in school. You can't throw that kind of stuff out. Still use the coin tray my son made in school from the bottom of a 2 liter soda bottle.

It makes sense to me, there are so many holidays out there now, school should be about teaching. I'll be honest, I never kept the things my son did at school, I just didn't have room and he always did them under protest. If he drew me a picture at home while he was playing, yep, I kept that because no one made him do it. I also told him and my family years ago that I felt like you should celebrate your mom and dad all year round and not just one day so I didn't want presents on Mother's Day. I prefer him to call me and ask me out to lunch on random days of the year, that shows me he loves me so much more than a card or flowers just one day a year. The fact that at 36 his favorite vacations are still the ones he takes with me, that's a mother's day gift any time of the year.

Seems like this is being stopped due to "non traditional families." Growing of same sex couples, grandparents raising kids, etc. IMO I think it's a bit excessive. The Mother's Day crafts usually end around 2nd grade anyway. I think people are too sensitive. Around here they do daddy/daughter dances, dads and donuts, mother/son dances. That are done in the school. Let the kids live a little.

Seems like this is being stopped due to "non traditional families." Growing of same sex couples, grandparents raising kids, etc. IMO I think it's a bit excessive. The Mother's Day crafts usually end around 2nd grade anyway. I think people are too sensitive. Around here they do daddy/daughter dances, dads and donuts, mother/son dances. That are done in the school. Let the kids live a little.
Dads and Donuts? I've never heard of it - sounds adorable (and delicious)! :goodvibes

This is a total nonissue. As they stated the families can't still determine how they want to handle it.

Mother's Day is on a Sunday. Why was this school even celebrating it in the first place?

My schools, and my children's schools, going back some four decades now, never celebrated it. So it's hardly a universal tradition, or anything.

As someone who grew up in a "non traditional family" (single, divorced mum), back in the 1970s, I've never been fond of the daddy/daughter, mother/son dances. I was always left out. And no, having my mum try to rustle up some random male coworker/friend of hers to take me was NOT cool. And I would have been beyond humiliated if she'd tried to don a moustache and suit, in order to play "daddy" at a dance for me. :eek: Fortunately, my mum's not that much of a free spirit. :laughing: I always wondered, why can't we just have a parent/child dance? Why does it have to be some kind of creepy fake dating scenario?

I was embarrassed, but also very proud, when my mother campaigned to bring an end to the "family tree" craft at my school. I brought it home, and we had a good laugh about my "family twig", which looked sadly stunted compared to everyone else's. Being a seventh grader, I was kind of proud of it! But, when she found out that the teacher had decided not to display my sad little one leafed twig with the others, out of a fear of "embarrassing" me, she got righteously angry and went marching down to the school to explain to them that not everyone has branches (two parents, aunts, uncles, etc) and roots (grandparents and great grandparents) and that there were ways to talk about family and heritage without graphically illustrating that one child is not like all the others. My mum's a teacher herself, so she was speaking from a position of some authority.

Dropping the in-school celebration of Mother's Day is hardly preventing kids from "living a little".

I think the "sensitive" ones are the people who are getting up in arms over something that was never a real tradition to begin with.

It sounds like you don't know what tolerant actual means.
This has nothing to do with tolerance or the pc police or any other buzz words used to make it seem like more than it is.
It's really much ado about nothing.

Thank you. I am well aware of the definition of tolerant. While I would agree that, on the surface, this is much ado about nothing, it speaks to a larger issue.
How much of a heartless jerk do you have to be to refer to children who have lost a parent or for whatever reason are missing a parent in their lives as "potential snowflakes"..:sad2:
Maybe the real snowflakes are adults that are so sensitive about their kid making a macaroni necklace at school.
Give me a break. Everyone knows this is not motivated by parentless children as there have been parentless children since humans began walking the earth. This is about non-traditional families which is a choice those parents made when creating their family. While it's convenient for you to conjure up images of orphans crying as their classmates make cards for their mother/father it is not the motivating factor behind this schools decision. (Example: see Hikergirls pic. in pervious post.) It would be naive to think this doesn't have everything to do with non-traditional families.

In other news, due to some children being on the low end of the financial spectrum, yearbooks, class rings, senior trips, etc. have all been canceled in an effort to make those that can't afford them more comfortable.

Also, due to the fact that some children are born with learning disabilities all honors/regents classes have now been canceled and there will be one, and only one, singular path to graduation.

Due to some children being born with physical disadvantages, all school sport programs will now be cancelled. No HS football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc., etc. because there could potentially be a student that feels left out therefore no students will have access to any of these sports programs going forward.

Thanks for your understanding,
Signed, the PC police.

Dad (or another adult in the child's life) can do a craft for Mom. Schools don't need to do this. Why do people get their knickers in a twist over this stuff? If your life revolves around getting a craft from your kid, by all means, do it. But, schools don't need to fill this gap. They've got enough to do.

Mother's Day is a made up holiday anyway. Mother's should be celebrated all the time, not just one day a year.

I honestly think holidays, in general, don't belong in public schools unless we start celebrating ALL of them, even the ones that are not "traditional" to the Judeo-Christian heritage. There are tons of holidays and "special event" days on a calendar....where to start and stop?!?!

Easiest rule is school is school. Holidays are up to individual families to decide how/when/where to celebrate (or not).

It's snowflakes who INSIST that holidays be celebrated in school, not the other way around.

Mother's Day is on a Sunday. Why was this school even celebrating it in the first place?

My schools, and my children's schools, going back some four decades now, never celebrated it. So it's hardly a universal tradition, or anything.

As someone who grew up in a "non traditional family" (single, divorced mum), back in the 1970s, I've never been fond of the daddy/daughter, mother/son dances. I was always left out. And no, having my mum try to rustle up some random male coworker/friend of hers to take me was NOT cool. And I would have been beyond humiliated if she'd tried to don a moustache and suit, in order to play "daddy" at a dance for me. :eek: Fortunately, my mum's not that much of a free spirit. :laughing: I always wondered, why can't we just have a parent/child dance? Why does it have to be some kind of creepy fake dating scenario?

I was embarrassed, but also very proud, when my mother campaigned to bring an end to the "family tree" craft at my school. I brought it home, and we had a good laugh about my "family twig", which looked sadly stunted compared to everyone else's. Being a seventh grader, I was kind of proud of it! But, when she found out that the teacher had decided not to display my sad little one leafed twig with the others, out of a fear of "embarrassing" me, she got righteously angry and went marching down to the school to explain to them that not everyone has branches (two parents, aunts, uncles, etc) and roots (grandparents and great grandparents) and that there were ways to talk about family and heritage without graphically illustrating that one child is not like all the others. My mum's a teacher herself, so she was speaking from a position of some authority.

Dropping the in-school celebration of Mother's Day is hardly preventing kids from "living a little".

I think the "sensitive" ones are the people who are getting up in arms over something that was never a real tradition to begin with.

My kids have never celebrated it in school but they did make a craft in art class in the few weeks leading up to Mother's Day or Father's Day. I'm assuming that's what they meant by celebrating since how can you actually celebrate it since there is no school on Sunday???

Yea I'm from a non traditional family also (single mom, never married) and none of those special occasions ever bothered me.

Dads and Donuts? I've never heard of it - sounds adorable (and delicious)! :goodvibes

It's usually for the K-2nd grade kids. You bring dad to school, tour the classroom, show off your art or craft and then have donuts with dad in the cafeteria. They also do a mom version but I can't remember what it's called. Some schools do that one at lunch. It's been a while for me. My kids are older now.

These are not done around Mother's Day or Father's day either. They are randomly done during the school year.

The real question is:

Do the kids make crafts for the attendance clerk for Administrative Assistant Day?

Thank you. I am well aware of the definition of tolerant. While I would agree that, on the surface, this is much ado about nothing, it speaks to a larger issue.

Give me a break. Everyone knows this is not motivated by parentless children as there have been parentless children since humans began walking the earth. This is about non-traditional families which is a choice those parents made when creating their family. While it's convenient for you to conjure up images of orphans crying as their classmates make cards for their mother/father it is not the motivating factor behind this schools decision. (Example: see Hikergirls pic. in pervious post.) It would be naive to think this doesn't have everything to do with non-traditional families.

In other news, due to some children being on the low end of the financial spectrum, yearbooks, class rings, senior trips, etc. have all been canceled in an effort to make those that can't afford them more comfortable.

Also, due to the fact that some children are born with learning disabilities all honors/regents classes have now been canceled and there will be one, and only one, singular path to graduation.

Due to some children being born with physical disadvantages, all school sport programs will now be cancelled. No HS football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, etc., etc. because there could potentially be a student that feels left out therefore no students will have access to any of these sports programs going forward.

Thanks for your understanding,
Signed, the PC police.

I don't care about the motivating factor, I'm glad for the end result for the kids without mothers (especially ones whose moms have died or abandoned the family).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter