School Bans Mother's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
That last sentence is your opinion.

I think it's more than just her opinion.

Mother's Day can be made to have academic value, but it's not inherent in the holiday.

Everything a child might learn from a Mother's Day craft and/or celebration, can be taught without tying it to a specific holiday. And, I sincerely hope it IS being taught! And not just on one day of the year.

Also, if we did take it as given that Mother's Day has irreplaceable academic value, than the same can be said for any other holiday, too. Imagine how much a month long Ramadan observance could teach kids about world cultures, respect for others, charitable works, history, geography, social studies, etc!

I homeschooled my kids for several years. Almost any subject, any holiday, any activity can be made educational. The options are so vast, the real question for educators is - how do we choose? (My own curriculum ended up being built around a lot of Greek, Egyptian and Roman history, Bible stories, classic children's lit, and Bond films.)

I am wondering how anyone can support and try to defend a specific and 'forced' Mother's Day project or celebration in today's public schools.
I can see no truly rational defense. There just isn't.

Because it involves arts and crafts... really???
Because one can try to claim academic value... Ummmm Okaaaaayyyyy
Because some of the kids might have a mother that they are close to and want to do something.... So we force it on everyone.
Because there are some Policially Correct social and cultural agendas.... Don't even get me started on that one.

No one is suggesting that anyone be forced to do anything.

Arts and Crafts do have a lot of academic value. Arts includes many areas, ALL of which are academically important.

So because someone doesn't want to do a project, we should forcibly take it away from everyone? See how that works?

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, but for some children the craft at school is the only way for them to get Mom (or whoever) a gift. So then aren't we trading the upsetting of one child for the upsetting of the other?

NOPE....
This discussion is not about arts and crafts.
It is about a specific focus on mothers day.

Also, if some kids do want to do something away from home, at school... they can paint a picture for their mother in Art class, write a poem in English/Language, or whatever. There absolutely does not have to be a focus and/or personal discussion.

Nice try, though...

I will jump in here and answer for Gracie, with another question....

First, I will note that the quote says 'academic', not appropriate.

Exactly what do you find to be "academic", or even "appropriate" about discussing such a personal thing as one's mother, in a forced public setting.
Seriously...

Read again. She said it wasn't appropriate when she was asked to talk about her family to her dd's class. The class was discussing families. What else would you have them talk about?

Again..... This thread is not about 'arts and crafts'...
It is about a focus on Mother's Day. (Which the purported academic value of arts and crafts has no relation to and does not justify)
It seems fairly obvious that this is what I am posting about.

And, I totally and 110% (five million percent) agree with the other poster that it is just NOT appropriate to be expected to talk about something as personal as one's mother in a forced public setting. Especially one in which children are being expected to do so by an authority figure and will feel forced to comply.

But, hey... Keep trying!

Reactions: SMD
Read again. She said it wasn't appropriate when she was asked to talk about her family to her dd's class. The class was discussing families. What else would you have them talk about?

I don't know Gracie, but there are plenty of reasons it might not be appropriate to talk about your child's family in school.

Your child is fostered, and her birth parents are trying to kick the drugs and get her back.

Your child is adopted, and it wasn't one of those happy little "your birth mom just wanted what was best for you!" stories.

You and your spouse are in the middle of a messy custody battle.

You and your child live in a shelter, due to spousal abuse.

You're estranged from the rest of your family, and prefer not to speak about them.

Your ex doesn't pay their share of the spousal support and you and your child are sleeping on a friend's couch, because you have no home.

I'm sure there are others I haven't thought of.

Plenty of people's lives are messy enough, that it wouldn't be at all appropriate to air it in a classroom setting.

The DIS Debate Forum was locked up years ago. Certainly there must be someplace on the internet where unfettered/unmoderated debate is welcome - but this is not that place.

Thanks to all for contributing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter