School Bans Mother's Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our school changed grandparents day to special person day because not all kids have grandparents.

I just eye roll and move on.

Did they talk about Mother's Day in the past? Will they continue in the future? Aside from there being no craft this year, we have no idea how the lesson plan (if there even is one) changed.

No, I'm not. YOU said...
Do you have kids in that school? Assuming not (because that would be a huge coincidence), you have no idea what "traditionally" went on.

Honestly, I don't know why you continue to argue with me. You already walked me through getting my facts right on page one of this thread :rolleyes1when you assumed that it was only a craft that was cancelled because that's how you read it. Neither of us know for sure.

I'm speaking from my experience as a teacher. I don't know one teacher who would just say, it's time for everyone to do a Mother's Day craft without talking about it. If you are doing a Mother's Day craft with your students you are talking about it in some way or another.

Comes up in discussion? These are 1st and 2nd graders. While I'm not saying it's impossible, I think it's highly unlikely a 5 or 6 year old is going to start a conversation about the upcoming Mother's Day.

Then you underestimate students. Discussions like this come up all the time.

Inclusiveness means leaving traditions at home. You can talk about Mother's Day but why should a child have to make a craft for Mother's Day if they don't have a mother? To single a child out and say, I know you don't have a mother so you can just make this craft for someone who is important is not the way to do it. Public schools should be neutral not open.

Nope think you misunderstand what it is to be inclusive.

Mummabear, I think you can edit the title or change it but not real sure.....I don't think I've ever quoted an article. Maybe a Mod can help you with that one. :)

Thanks Kitty34, I meant I had copied (and used) the title in the article not that it came up automatically.

There is so much wrong with that statement that it's hard to know where to begin. Inclusiveness is the opposite of being required to leave your traditions at home. That is what is annoying people about the no-Mother's Day crafts rule. It forbids a minor, yet traditional, craft activity that goes on to honor mothers in most schools throughout the country. In doing so it's taking something away from our cultural expression. Not something extremely important, but it is taking away something, with the misguided purpose of not wanting to continue to express traditional culture. True inclusiveness means maintaining our cultural traditions, while adding others. It is not about taking things away.
Exactly.
When we really get down to it, anything could leave someone feeling hurt, shall we cancel everything?

Well, in my opinion, there is so much wrong with your entire statement. Inclusiveness to me means honoring your cultures at home, not in public places. There are a billion made up traditions out there in the free world. Where do we draw the line?
So it's all or nothing then?
Since all traditions are just made up you would like to see no themes crafts, lesson plan etc
No Mothers Day or Fathers Day, no thanksgiving, Christmas or Hanukkah, no Valentine's Day or St Patrick's day etc

Thanks Kitty34, I meant I had copied (and used) the title in the article not that it came up automatically.

Exactly.
When we really get down to it, anything could leave someone feeling hurt, shall we cancel everything?

So it's all or nothing then?
Since all traditions are just made up you would like to see no themes crafts, lesson plan etc
No Mothers Day or Fathers Day, no thanksgiving, Christmas or Hanukkah, no Valentine's Day or St Patrick's day etc

In any school my grown children have gone to Christmas, Hanukkah, St Patrick's Day and Thanksgiving were honored at home. Or not. I'm ok with including Mother's Day and Father's Day, Grandparent's Day and Groundhog's Day in private traditions.

If it comes up, sure. Your post made it seem like it needs to be brought up.
Not at all. I did say, "led by students". Conversations need to be age appropriate. Children are naturally curious, especially at a young age. They ask lots of questions.

Inclusiveness means leaving traditions at home. You can talk about Mother's Day but why should a child have to make a craft for Mother's Day if they don't have a mother? To single a child out and say, I know you don't have a mother so you can just make this craft for someone who is important is not the way to do it. Public schools should be neutral not open.
To the bolded: in my opinion, you defined exclusiveness. Meaning to exclude or leave out. To be inclusive would be all encompassing or including everyone or everything.

Not at all. I did say, "led by students". Conversations need to be age appropriate. Children are naturally curious, especially at a young age. They ask lots of questions.

Sure if it comes up, I just don't think an actual lesson plan and a craft specifically for Mother's Day is needed in schools. Its not the end of the world for the kids to not be taught about that in school, and if handmade gifts are so important for the occasion, the other parent or family member can deal with that.

Our schools never did anything specific for Mother's Day. The little ones did spring parties with crafts that they made for themselves or whoever they wanted. No special cards, or projects specifically for moms. No tea or dances.
Not saying its the only way, but there is no reason to be outraged when schools decide to not do those things. (Not saying you personally are outraged, just mean in general).

Headlines like this drive me crazy. A school can't "ban Mother's Day." They just aren't celebrating it at school. Families at that school are still welcome to celebrate as they choose - no one has taken that right away.

Anyone who gets upset that the teacher is not planning, implementing, and probably paying for a crafty gift for their student's mothers is just being ridiculous.

Ok I would just like to pause and take a moment to thank OP for sticking around on this thread. It dawned on me that this might be one of those "hit it and quit it" threads where an OP presents a question for debate and then goes missing. So I am formally offering a big thank you to @mummabear for sticking around and participating in this mess you created LOL. :rotfl2:

I can't for the life of me figure out how you have taken the term inclusiveness and switched it to exclusiveness. I'm literally laughing out loud at your confusion.
Stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Myself and several other posters have pointed out your mistake. It's time to put on your big girl pants and take ownership of it. Here are the other posters comments regarding your incorrect definition in case you missed them:
There is so much wrong with that statement that it's hard to know where to begin. Inclusiveness is the opposite of being required to leave your traditions at home. That is what is annoying people about the no-Mother's Day crafts rule. It forbids a minor, yet traditional, craft activity that goes on to honor mothers in most schools throughout the country. In doing so it's taking something away from our cultural expression. Not something extremely important, but it is taking away something, with the misguided purpose of not wanting to continue to express traditional culture. True inclusiveness means maintaining our cultural traditions, while adding others. It is not about taking things away.

Sure if it comes up, I just don't think an actual lesson plan and a craft specifically for Mother's Day is needed in schools. Its not the end of the world for the kids to not be taught about that in school, and if handmade gifts are so important for the occasion, the other parent or family member can deal with that.

Our schools never did anything specific for Mother's Day. The little ones did spring parties with crafts that they made for themselves or whoever they wanted. No special cards, or projects specifically for moms. No tea or dances.
Not saying its the only way, but there is no reason to be outraged when schools decide to not do those things. (Not saying you personally are outraged, just mean in general).

I have no issue if teachers/students want to do a craft or not.

I understand at this particular school it was a decision made by the school. It's still unclear what that really means. Were teachers divided by this or were they all in agreement? Who knows? If they were all on board with the decision, great. There should be no problems.

Stop. You're embarrassing yourself. Myself and several other posters have pointed out your mistake. It's time to put on your big girl pants and take ownership of it. Here are the other posters comments regarding your incorrect definition in case you missed them:

Oh puleez. And don't say big girl pants. That's just repugnant, especially coming from a man.

Interesting how heated this topic is 10 pages later. I live about 45 minutes away from the town where this school and besides a few articles when the letter first came out have not heard much about it. Maybe in the community itself.

I guess this is what social media is all about

Oh puleez. And don't say big girl panties. That's just repugnant, especially coming from a man.
I didn't say panties. I said pants. Here it is again for your review:

I have no issue if teachers/students want to do a craft or not.

I understand at this particular school it was a decision made by the school. It's still unclear what that really means. Were teachers divided by this or were they all in agreement? Who knows? If they were all on board with the decision, great. There should be no problems.

Rarely if ever is everyone on board with a decision. Are you saying only 100% on board is ok for no Mother's Day craft?

The bigotry of several posters in this thread is absolutely repugnant. The fact that they dare not come right out and state their opinions, and instead hide behind veiled comments so they can claim "I never said that!" tells me that they know they are in the wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter