Scared to ride the Matterhorn - HELP

i do go on matterhorn every time we visit DL, but to be very honest with you, if you don't ride it, you're really not missing much.

it's jerky and bumpy, has way too many pitch black stretches, the abominable snowman screams entirely too loud, and it's over after what, 63 seconds or something?

we do it for the nostalgia of it, but truthfully, i don't even find it very fun. and i love coasters, even big giant scary ones. matterhorn is great to look at from the outside, but it's just kind of boring (and seriously, that snowman is so irritating, lol).

so unless you can wait less than 20 minutes in line for the ride, and you're not expecting it to really thrill you, i wouldn't even worry about missing it. just my 2 cents.

also, the bumpiness and jerkiness of the ride doesn't reallyhurt my back, but it gives me a headache EVERY SINGLE TIME I RIDE IT. just something to think about.

The ride is a bit jerky, but but BTMRR is much more exciting. A classic!!

Jack

Agreed. However some of the views from Matterhorn are better than the ones from BTM.

My mother is like the OP. I took her on Matterhorn several years ago, telling her it wasn't that bad (I wasn't lying -- I truly don't think that it is). At the end of the ride, I turned around and said "See, I told you it wasn't that bad." She said "Are you kidding?!" It's a bit of a rough ride but not particularly scary. Like BTW, there are no crazy drops. It's a great ride and I recommend it at least once.

Rob

I agree with everyone else. It's a very tame roller coaster. It's just so uncomfortable. I do have to brace myself so I don't get jerked around so much.

But, it's a fun ride to do with little kids.

Definitely go on the FL side first, that side is my favorite and we go on it a lot more then the TL side. :) And yes, I'm always rubbing my backside when we get off, as is DBF, we are both pretty skinny. :)

My advice, don't waste your time! I rode this for the first time last week, and absolutely hated it:eek:. I love roller coasters, this one was boring and ridiculously jerky. I literally had neck pain when I got off. My 13yr niece was with me and she hated it too. We did BTMR 4 times and only did this beast once.

the Matterhorn is an acquired taste..
yes it is bumpy, yes it is jerky....there really aren't any big drops, just some small dips here and there....
This is, afterall, the worlds first Steel Tube Tracked roller coaster, that has never had any real changes to the track...
Due to much better technology over the last 51 years, the new steel coaster are much smoother....The way the track sections are joined, and the way they are arced makes a big difference in comfort. Not to mention the ride vehicles of the new coasters have a "suspension" and the Matterhorn sleds do not.
Like the difference between a street car with full suspension (springs and shocks) vs a go Kart with no suspension other than the flex of the tires.
;)

I have to admit first thing, I am a wimp on rides. However, I would really like to try the Matterhorn when we go to DL in 2 weeks. Just to give you an idea of the rides that I will ride -

Recently conquered Thunder Mountain - took maybe 10 times before I was able to finally say I liked it. It still scares the crap out of me but I'm determined to ride it.
I love to ride Test Track.
I can handle Soarin' as long as I'm in row 3. The other 2 rows are too high in the air.

Okay - that's about the extent of my thrill ride experience. I can't/won't ride on --
Everest - To-o-o high in the air and don't like the drops
Splash Mountain - don't like the drop and the falling feeling
RNR and Tower of Terror - NO WAY
Primevil Whirl - would like to try it but always chicken out.
Mission Space - can handle the green side but would never try the orange.

So tell me, do you think I can handle Matterhorn. I've tried to watch the You Tube videos but still can't get a feeling for it. Is it just a fast ride down a gently sloping mountain. Do you have alot of outside exposure where you can see over the edge.

I really want to ride this but need alittle help. Anyone??

You must be my twin and we were separated at birth. We feel the same way about all the rides, with only one exception. I have ridden Splash Mountain at WDW, twice, and I can tell you that I would rather ride it than BTMRR. I close my eyes for the drop at the end, and you never even know it has happened. I mean really, think about it, if there is nothing to strap you into the seat, it can't be that bad at all.

We are making our first trip to DL this Thusday, and I had been wondering about the Matterhorn myself, and after hearing how much you get jerked around, I think I will pass. That kind of stuff gives me a headache.

I will have to do Indy though, because I just have to see it.

And by the way, when people make fun of me for my fears, I just let them know I am a certified card-carrying wienie, and proud of it. :)

My DH, who is hates or is too afraid to ride: Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, EE, RnRC AND ToT proclaimed the Matterhorn "lame". He loves BTMR. It really is a very tame coaster, but I found I got banged around a bit. Those seats need more padding!

I don't see that anyone addressed this, maybe they did. You do spend some time on the outside of the mountain and you can look down at the people below. A couple spots are up pretty high for those that don't like that sort of thing. But you may be concentrating on the ride and not notice that you are up high. :)

Just back from DLR and rode both 'mountains'. I think they are comparable in terms of roughness and speed, though the Matterhorn is largely in the dark.

Go for it!

:tigger:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter