Scales

My W*I*S*H*

Earning My Ears
Hi again everyone,

I have a silly question, and I'd really like your honest input...It sounds extremely silly to ask but here goes...

I don't own a scale. I've never owned a scale. When I signed up, I said I wanted to lose 30 lbs, because that's what I figure I'm over my ideal. That said, I really have no idea.

So the question is, do I have to have one to be successful? I always went by what size I fit into in the spring. My normal size for years was a 12. (I"m 6 ft tall, so I've never been tiny) Right now I'm an 18. ACK:faint: Which is actually painful to be in at this stage, so I should probably say 20. Double ACK!

I'm terrified to actually get on a scale after all these years...I'm not sure I want the trama...but if it is really necessary for success, I suppose I'll get one.

What do you all think?

Thanks so much! :)
Robin

If you don't have a scale, you can always measure yourself. Instead of having a "goal weight" you can have a "goal size" (like size 12 for pants).

The thing with being able to weight yourself is that (al least for me) you lose pounds faster than you lose inches, and it helps you stay on track when you see that you've lost at least 0.5 lb.

The dreaded scale is only one tool you can use to measure your success. Measurements tell a great deal about how you are doing.......for me, a MUCH better indicator than the scale. I tend to have a lot of muscle (I do work hard at it....) so my body is going to be naturally heavier because of it. It's that *protective layer* of fatty tissue that I wish to shed! :p If I were to rely only on the scale as a measure of my results, I'm certain that I would end up losing the muscle mass that I have in order to see that *magic number* that I desire on the scale. Finding a balance between scale/measurements/clothing fit/how you feel is so individual....really, it's what works best for you and keeps you the most motivated. :p

Scales CAN be motivating for some people but not for everyone. I do need to see those numbers every week personally to keep me motivated but the measuring is another great idea - the idea is to get smaller however you do it. I didn't measure myself in the beginning but wish I had. It can be even more telling of your loss.

I also need to see the numbers on the scale to help motivate me but really I wouldn't care how much I weighed as long as I'm in the size clothes I want to be in.
How about just doing your measurements each week and not doing the scale. I understand about not wanting to get on that scale the first time and being afraid to see what it says. I was the same way but Like I said ... I like to see it go down!!

I need the scale because I have to see the numbers. I have to see the numbers go down so I know the plan I'm following is working and if the numbers go up, I know I need to work harder.

I love my new digital scale. I didn't like the one with the dial b/c the small lines were hard to read and the dial would move when I leaned over to see the numbers. WIth a digital, there is no question at all what it says.

don't do it!!!!!!! lol

I didnt have a scale for years which could be why I got heavy, but this is also due to the fact that after I became MOM four times, I began staying home alot and just wearing casual clothes such as sweats ( anything with an elastic waist) I didn't know I was gaining!
Now that I am on the road to healthy and weighing less.......I went out and bought a scale.
BIG MISTAKE........it has taken over my life.......
I used to be the one to post replies ( as early as a month ago) that the scale was a good tool etc. keep you on your toes........I have realized recently that indeed, I was wrong!
Of course we may all want the same thing, that is too lose the weight, but, most importantly (for me anyway) once I started to lose the weight, I began to "FEEL" good. and thats really whats important. It may sound corny cause like I said most of use started out wanting to "LOOK" better but many of us continnue because we feel better.

Ultimately, I feel as if I have grown up a little since I have been part of WISH....I have come to realize that your actually weight, isn't the most important thing. Thats where the scale comes in....You don;t need a scale to inform you that you look good. I think your clothes fitting good will make you feel good which in turn will make you look better.
good luck
( needless to say, I out the scale in the shed cause I couldn't actually throw it out,........and nows its back in the house! )
renee
:crazy:

:rotfl: You know what? I think I'm going to just wait a bit and see how it goes. I don't think I need that turmoil... hehehehe

~Sigh~ But I don't get to use any cool clippies! :(

How about not weighing yourself now but start working at losing and then weigh yourself in a few weeks. Then weigh yourself once a week or once every two weeks or even once a month. Then you can still use the clippies:) :) :)

Hi, I've lost 100 pounds and only get on a scale at the doctor's office. Scales lie. It is important to know that losing fat and losing pounds are not always the same thing. Losing fat is much more important. What I do is I get something that almost fits and hang it on the outside of my closet. Once a week until it fits I try it on. That tells me so much more than the scale and it is an automatic reward when it fits Important not to start with something your goal size if your goal is a way off. Nothing tells the truth like a pair of nice fitting jeans. GOOD LUCK

How 'bout the exercise clippies? Those are pretty cool and the longer you exercise, the more weight/inches you should lose. Just a thougth if you're feeling left out without the weight clippies.

For me having the weight loss clippies is a real motivator :hyper: However I only weigh myself once a week, and then I don't think about it for a week. I feel If I am staying OP, exercising, and drinking my water then I am doing all that I can do, and if the scale doesn't show a weight loss then that's ok, because I know that my clothes will fit better!

Like some others, I like the feedback I get from the scale, so I do weigh myself everyday.

But I don't compare my weight today vs. yesterday. I compare it to the same day from the previous week. Any loss is a success, and its ok to have a 0 loss/gain on some days as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter