SB Q about using eyelets, buttons...

pas2

Mouseketeer
I have never used embelishments such as eyelets, buttons, charms, wire or beads. How do you keep them from damaging the layouts next to them? I would think that they might cause denting or scratching of adjacent pages. I use individual page protectors in 3ring binder albums, can these embellishments be inserted into these pages?

I have never used embelishments such as eyelets, buttons, charms, wire or beads. How do you keep them from damaging the layouts next to them?

I was wondering about this last night too. I was reading my latest copy of Memory Makers. The truth is you can't protect your pictures from all this stuff. Maybe the eyelets could be used safely. But why would you risk having dents in your pictures? I think the magazines are just looking for something new to fill space.

I use islets, wire, jute, and string. I like the look of texture and dimension. I have never used buttons as I think they are too thick. I don't use them on every page, and I am very careful not to place a photo directly opposite them. The one thing you must always do is store your albums standing upright. This allows them to flair out a bit and give your embellishments the extra room they need.

I've also read that if you're using nice, thick page protectors (for example, the Close to My Heart type) they will help prevent denting.

This is a great question. I just recently saw the Jolee 3-D stickers and they are so adorable, but wondered about damaging any layouts. I do store my albums standing, but still feel that too many of these could damage the album.

Lisa

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. Unfortunately I live in a house with NO storage and the few shelves I have do not accomodate my larger photo albums and they must be stored lying down. As I scrap I am moving to smaller albums that fit the bookcase. Now that I know what to expect I just may try some thinner items like ribbon and string and twistel. Still not sure about the eyelets yet.

I too read the most recent issue of Memort Makers and ran right out to buy an eyelet tool..... I paid $10.00 for the tool and 100 gold eyelets (It came with a few bold colors as well).... I also had a 50% off coupon !!

I have used them on 2 pages so far and I LOVE THEM !!! They add a definate look to the page ! I wouldn't worry too much about denting with the eyelets, I thought the same thing when I saw them, but after they are pressed into the paper they are not that thick anymore ! I have not used them on a picture though.... I used them to connect super huge letter for a title, and last night on jumbo stocking punchies to make them look like they are hanging !

I would like to find a place that sells different colors though, other than ebay.... bids can go really high !

Another tip.... I have used my eyelets near the edge of my 12 x 12 papers.... I think that will help prevent the denting as well !!

I love the eyelets and special embellishments too!!! I store all of my albums upright and have had no problems.

So far, I've used eyelets, jute, feather cording and wire - awesome pages!!!

I have an eyelet tool and lots of those little buggers in tiny plastic jars. I use them with my rubber stamping and making cards. I agree, it's a cool look. However, you need to think about something else (other than denting)--RUST. This will even be a problem for the plastic coated ones. When you pound them in, you will put small breaks in the plastic (especially on the back. Ten years down the line, you run the risk of a little rust rings in your albums.

Another little tip for the BACKS of the pages with these items is to put a square of thick cardstock where the item has gone through - so that it doesn't affect the page that is behind it - hard to explain! LMK if anyone wants me to clarify, LOL!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter