Say buh-bye to the Angels and the Ducks

Bstanley

DisNoid
Well, apparently part of 'The Plan' is to get serious about selling the Anaheim Angels and Mighty Ducks.

Dow Jones says that Disney has hired Lehman brothers to shop the teams.

Well, all I can say is good luck. Disney wants a lot of money for both teams and they come with a lot of preconditions which the new owner must abide by.

The sooner they sell the trams the better!!!! The decision to buy the teams made no sense at all and should be sold ASAP!!

If they made a profit or not i would get rid of the teams!!! They dont fit in with the rest of the company!!

I think if the Ducks and Angels were properly managed they would be a good business for the company. Sports teams definitely fit the business model of an entertainment company in my opinion, isn't that what sports are? And the free marketing opportunities at the sports venues while the fans are a captive audience are priceless.

Good points OnWith. Saying they are a bad investment or don't fit in is hardly accurate. That reasoning would make it logical for AOL/TIme Warner to sell their stake in the Braves, Tribune to sell their share in the Cubs, Comcast to sell their share in the Flyers, Sixers, etc, etc etc. Sports is entertainment, these are entertainment companies. When ESPN shows the Angels, that is, while being very simplistic, free money to Disney.

Disney's thinking when buying in was sound but management of the teams didn't pan out for them. That is a personnel issue not decision making issue.

I hope they are able to sell the teams because they should recoup their investment on the Angels at least if not on both teams. This will be a nice influx of cash and a reduction in cash outflow for the compnay as a whole.

The fact that these teams lose money is not an anomoly in sports teams. It is actually rather common. The big entertainment conglomerates don't mind having these financial 'losers' because the revenue from the operations of the teams themselves is secondary. Where the money is made is in the advertising revenue they receieve, and 'free' advertising time they get, on the broadcasting. It is in this regard that Disney probably hasn't taken advantage of these assets. I have no idea what kind of advertising revenue deals they worked out, but I guess they aren't very good. Secondly, are they capitalizing on the opportunity they have to advertise Disney through these franchises? With some of the other companies, the Braves in particular, there is no question who owns them - Turner is everywhere. Can the same be said of Disney with respect to the Angels and Ducks?

Disney's expertise isnt at all in the management of sports teams. There expertise is in running theme parks and creating movies/cartoons for the public. or am i mistaken and Walt owned sports teams instead of creating characters like Mickey Mouse.
Show me where all these so-called synergies have actually worked out??? How many of these sports teams make money, for most it is a money losing proposal by owners who want to bew in the "in crowd" and have their ego's stroked!!

Well gee, the Cubs make money, the Braves make money, the Flyers and Sixers make money. The Rangers and Knicks also make moeny and they are owned by MSG. Just because Disney doesn't make money doesn't mean they all don't. Let's end the hyperbole, if you want to bash Disney fine, just back it up with some accurate statements.

I would need to see proof that all the above mentioned sports teams made money, and then you can make money for one year and lose money for years after by bad decisions on signing players.

Originally posted by Bob O
I would need to see proof that all the above mentioned sports teams made money, and then you can make money for one year and lose money for years after by bad decisions on signing players.
Well, if you're looking for a perfect business prospect that will make money every year, you're not going to find it. No one makes money every year, guaranteed, without fail. You choose the best option and hope that your scouts are gifted and your team bonds quickly. And you hope that the top notch college player you just signed doesn't choke his first time out. And you hope that you get good weather and that your schedule is fair and that no one gets injured and that there are no strikes or terrorist attacks or earthquakes or other season-disrupting events.

There's no guarantee that any business prospect is going to make money, sports team or otherwise. But your view shows incredible tunnel vision. Not everybody does it for the ego stroke. Owning a sports team is a pretty darned expensive proposition to take on just for the opportunity to hang out with big-wigs.

:rolleyes:

Well folks, since this rumor has been around on and off for several years it is a class exercise I give routinely to my strategic management students. (Seniors ready to graduate with Bachelor degrees in business and a few pre-core MBA students).

Routinely the discussions follow the same pattern here - some say sell they don't fit, others say it is a fit, some say personnel issue that would resolve if Disney had the appropriate management.

So far the discussion hasn't resolved nor has Disney actually sold. I suspect one of the reasons for all of those conditions on the sale is that Disney knows even sold people are going to connect those teams to the company.

Tough strategic decision no matter which way you go.

The Ducks and Angles were merely toys for Michael Eisner at stock holder's expense. The sooner Disney sells them, the better. It's time to get back to making magic. Forget these sport's complexes and internet deals - stick to improving the theme parks and make classic movies.

King Triton:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Jeff, you caught me in another typo!!!
But do sell the Ducks/Angels ASAP!!!

Sorry just a huge Baseball fan here! I love Ochoa and was sad to see him leave the Milwaukee Brewers. Glad to see he is on a winning team...since the Brewers are not!

Anyone have differing thoughts now that the Angels have made the World Series?

(Just stimulating discussion here - as if that is really necessary:jester: )

The Professor

I'm excited that the Angels made it to the world series - it is long overdue

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter