Saving for a Disney vacation? Don't forget about the extras!

Things that I budget for that isn't in the norm:

parking @ disney/universal/airport (we stay off property)
tolls (these suck by the way...we don't have them where I live!)
Shopping (I budget a ridiculous amount so if I don't reach that number, I feel like I'm ahead!)
Groceries
Duty free liquor (live in Canada)
public transport
tips
snacks
locker rentals
calling charges to back home/cell phone charges
airport food & coffee (always get something here no matter how hard I try not to)
internet charges (if the hotel i'm staying at doesn't have free wi-fi)

I tip our Mousekeepers $1 day per person, even at DVC. So, day 4, 5 people, $20 and the same when we leave.

I have also had the experience of being the first to tip the magical express driver. It elicits a lot of comments.;)

I'd like to know about the cruise tips as well. It's been 9 years since we've been on DCL and I'm guessing the amounts have increased a little since then :rotfl:

We were on the Dream last month, this is the recommended amounts from DCL when I got my luggage tags in the mail (amounts are for both adults and children):

Restaurant Server- $4.00/day
Assistant Server- $3.00/day
Head Server- $1.00/day
Stateroom Host(ess)- $4.00/day
Room Service- at your discretion

So for a family of 3 on a 4-night cruise= $144.00 (plus room service and specialty restaurants)

I always forgot to budget money for the ride photos. I usually don't get them, but on occasion, our expressions were just too good to pass up.

So now I keep a gift card in my wallet just for that. I shoot for $120, which can get us around 4 pkgs, depending on size.

Since we go every two years or so, this only dents my personal budget $5/month.

Disney world is a fantastic place to go on a long vacation with family and friends and share some memorable moments. Many people save money for Disney vacation as it very expensive, but thanks to Disney vacation homes. It has helped many people to save quite a good amount of money in their accommodation bills.

Some of the things that I budget for that I hadn't thought about for the first few visits to Disney:
  1. Laundry costs - soap, fabric softener, coins for the washer/dryer
  2. Sample sizes - toothpaste, bodywash, deodorants,Advil,antibiotic cream, etc
  3. Camera stuff - batteries (if needed), extra memory card, lens cleaner
  4. Airport parking or shuttle van plus tip
  5. Pharmacy stuff I only need at Disney - earplanes, moleskins, Bodyglide, high SPF sunscreen
  6. Snacks for the airport and plane.

Some of the things that I budget for that I hadn't thought about for the first few visits to Disney:
  5. Pharmacy stuff I only need at Disney - earplanes, moleskins, Bodyglide, high SPF sunscreen

I just bought Purex 3 in 1 laundry sheets 20/pack for 2.99.
Sometimes you can use a coupon on trail size so watch your coupons.
If you rent a car or go off site alway pick up snacks it is cheaper.

Also, for tolls you can purchase a mini Sun pass online ahead of time. :thumbsup2

For those of us staying off-site, parking really adds up, so make sure to include that!

We drive - so gas is a big one (especially with the rising price of gas).

Budget a little extra for uh-ohs that happen. Last year we had silly problem - a small coverplate on the underside of our car came loose and it flapped all the way from PA to FL! We ended up having to pull over many times, and had to find a store to buy industrial duct tape! It got us through the trip, but cost us $30 in tape (only to find out, when we got home, that it was a $5 part from the dealer to fix!).

Sunscreen is expensive too.

And budget extra for things you will forget - a hat, sunglasses, lip balm etc. There's always something!

We stay off-site in a house, so we try to take as much as we can from home. We take down ziplocks, garbage bags, paper plates/cups/napkins, laundry detergent etc. We buy in bulk at home, so I just take some from our stash. Otherwise, I'd be buying them.

I did what someone else posted too - bought the Purex 3-in-1 on sale at CVS this week. Much easier than toting liquid laundry detergent AND fabric softener on the road!

I also try to bring grocery staples from home too. If I sneak a few things in my regular grocery shopping each week, we don't even notice it!

We have a yard sale in the spring to make some spending money for the trip - that gets us an "Extra" chracter meal, or extra souvenir money.

Oh - and another thing I tend to forget about until the last minute is budgeting for thank yougifts for our neighbors who watch over the house while we are gone. They typicall take out our trash one night, water the garden, mow the lawn for us while gone, and I like to bring them some Mickey pasta and a sweet treat for their kids too.

ITA! But the same people are leaving tips for Mousekeeping, which isn't a tipped position. The DME driver IS a tipped position. Sure, he's not going to make you a towel animal, but he is going to drive you on your free ride to/from the airport and deal with your luggage. If he touches your bags, you need to pay up!

I don't tip for housekeeping. Never have anywhere.

If the ME driver handles our luggage, then I tip them. :)

Otherwise, those are the only tips I give out on vacation, other than wait staff.

We're never in our room when our luggage shows up, so no tip there.

If you're staying at a DVC resort (either on points, you own or paid OOP) laundry facilities are free. :)

I love this thread! I budget for everything before we go and separate it all in envelopes. For this coming trip we will be renting a car so that is something extra to budget for!

We tip the ME driver each way. We usually only have 3-4 carryon size bags and will tip $3-$4.

We tip bell services who take us along with our bags to our room, usually $10 so $20 total.

I budget $150 a day for food for the 4 of us.

We are DVC members and I do not tip housekeeping. for the length of our trips, usually 5 days, they only would come for trash and towels and we don't let them come in the room for that. I can wash the towels and take out the trash myself. This time we will be there for 8 days and I will leave the " do not disturb" sign up as usual. Once we are in our room, I don't like anyone else coming in there. I am weird like that!;)

I have to budget $250 for the dog kennel.

Usually I have to set aside around $100 for airport parking. This trip our neighbor will be driving and picking us up for $50!!

Our kids, ages 13 and 8 save their own money through out the year for souvenirs. They each have $50 saved so far and our trip isn't until Aug.

I plan on buying some breakfast and snack items as well as water once we are there at a super market so I am setting aside $100 for that.

I set aside money every week into a vacation account. I use my Disney Visa card to earn points. I use my Chase rewards debit card and those points I can use to get cash back into my account.

I am confused about ME. We will be using it, but the bags won't be with us on the bus as I understand it. Are we supposed to tip the driver or not?

Great point, we budget about $20 per table service meal for tips (we have a family of four, two adults, two kids). That's always a little shocking to me, since we can eat at a sit-down place at home for about $20 (DH and I usually split and entree and the kids split a kid's meal). --Katie

Is the plan really worth it, if you are eating differently than you normally would? Have you done the math to see what the costs would be to eat normally?

Also, I've read repeatedly that when everyone's on the dining plan, you can share meals at non-buffet/family style restaurants (and leave credits to use for a future meal). Would that be helpful for you guys? Would lower the tip as it would lower the potential bill.

We split, are vegetarian (so our entrees generally cost less than something like a fancy steak would), and avoid most desserts while at Disney b/c of ingredient issues....the dining plan just wouldn't work for us. (we upgraded to APs and got TAbles in Wonderland, which takes 20% off meals and booze at most table service and a few counter service places, and even though it causes an auto-tip of 18%, it worked PERFECTLY for us b/c we ate exactly what we wanted)

I am confused about ME. We will be using it, but the bags won't be with us on the bus as I understand it. Are we supposed to tip the driver or not?

People sometimes bring their checked bags on the buses (they don't put the ME tags on and collect them at baggage claim), but other people put their carryons below the bus, and that is when you tip the driver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter