Save the money and sacrifice queen beds?

gappedout

Mouseketeer
Last year, our family of four (mom, dad, 14 year old and 6 year old) stayed at Wilderness Lodge and fell in love. We currently have it booked for this year again but finances may not be as plentiful as last year. We can save $1,900 by moving to Pop with the summer meal deal that ends tomorrow (would upgrade to the regular dining plan). We have stayed at Pop before...when the six year old was in a pack n play and I shared a bed with then then 8 year old.

A moderate would only save us about $660 assuming a 30% discount on WL and 20% discount on a moderate that is likely to come out next month.

I would love to save the money but the thought of 12 nights in double beds makes me cringe. I know we can bring along a blow up mattress.

What would you do??? It's a huge savings...do I sacrifice the comfort for the savings? Maybe switch to Pop tonight while the deal is still out and upgrade if extra money turns up?

Consider a split stay?
Pop first then mod 2nd? Would that save $1300?
Yes - have thought about that but dining plan is a must for us and don't want to have to purchase tickets on both reservations - which I think we would have to, right?

Yes - have thought about that but dining plan is a must for us and don't want to have to purchase tickets on both reservations - which I think we would have to, right?
Yep, it would be two separate reservations. Two separate tickets and dining plans.

Yep, it would be two separate reservations. Two separate tickets and dining plans.

Why would they need two separate tickets? Just book the first reservation with room, dining and entire length of stay tickets (would do the summer meal plan at the value first to attach tickets and take advantage of the promo) and then room and dining only (ticketless package which you need to call in) at the mod.

It's not (only) about the beds for me - no offense at all to anyone who loves Pop (we stayed there on our first trip in 2004 and had a great time), but truthfully I would not enjoy a stay at Pop after having been to the Wilderness Lodge. Time at the resort every day in the afternoon to swim is a huge part of our vacation.

Why would they need two separate tickets? Just book the first reservation with room, dining and entire length of stay tickets (would do the summer meal plan at the value first to attach tickets and take advantage of the promo) and then room and dining only (ticketless package which you need to call in) at the mod.

Good point. It's so easy to forget about the ticketless packages.

I'd consider the moderates for the potential smaller savings. We have stayed mostly deluxe resorts but did a one night stay at ASMovies followed by 5 nights at CSR. We found that having a full bed was tough for us (and it was only me and the college age kids, DH wasn't there that trip). We were a lot more comfortable with CSR with queen beds and the larger room. We've decided if we don't want to pay for a deluxe, we will stay at CSR. Loved it there!

If it were me, I would go with a moderate and skip the dining plan. If you are careful with your selections of restaurants and menu items, you can save a lot eating OOP. Out of curiosity, why do you consider the dining plan a must for your family?

No way. I would make the stay shorter before doing a value with double beds. I'd do a moderate, cut the trip shorter, and definitely skip the dining plan...or whatever combination to save the amount needed. We haven't done the dining plan in years because it's not a good value for our family at all.

We had only stayed at moderates before our last trip, and I was a bit worried about the beds too, but it ended up not being too bad (though YMMV).

I think the best thing to do would be to really zero in on what you think your finances are going to be this year first. Just be really conservative with that number, and if it looks like you can still swing a moderate, I would definitely choose the moderate in that case. It sounds like you are really dreading the smaller beds at Pop, and there really is enough of a difference between the values and the moderates that it won't feel as a jarring to not be staying in a deluxe this time if you at least choose a moderate.

I would rather stay home than do a value with double beds. We fight in a Queen at times. No one would get any sleep in a double. It wouldn't be worth it to us.

We couldn't do double beds, even for one night, let alone 12. But everyone's needs are different. It depends on what is more of a priority for your family.

I'd move to Pop and bring the blow up mattress, unless having a pool slide is important. If it was I'd stay at a moderate. $1900 is more than my upcoming 4 night 5 day trip is going to cost. That is a lot of money to save.

If it were me, I would go with a moderate and skip the dining plan. If you are careful with your selections of restaurants and menu items, you can save a lot eating OOP. Out of curiosity, why do you consider the dining plan a must for your family?
Because my husband knows me all too well! If we did not pre-pay the dining plan, he knows that I would be nickle and diming everyone while we are there. Waters for the whole table, no desserts! Pre-paying the dining plan let's everyone eat what they want without me worrying about the cost while we are there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter