Savannah Tours & Lunch

walter

DIS Veteran
Any info on the above from DVC'ers that visited Savannah would be greatly appreciated. We will be visiting HHI the second and part of the third week in April.

We loved our tour of Savannah. There are a couple of companies offering trolley-type tours. We went with Old Town Trolley since those are the tickets you can buy right at the resort. We bought ours the night before we went.

As for lunch, do you mean while in Savannah or for when you are at Hilton Head? On our day in Savannah we went to the Pirate House restaurant (one of the stops on the trolley tour) and I can't say enough about it. They offer an all-you-care-to-eat lunch buffet that was $8.95 per adult and was fantastic. They had a seafood stew, fried chicken, ribs, soups, a salad bar, lots of side items and more. I highly recommend it.

When we're at the resort we generally eat lunch in our villa so I'm afraid I'm not much help there. I would suggest the Hilton Head diner and Fuddruckers (burger place) which are both within biking distance of the resort.

Have a great time.

Michele

The tours are all good in Savannah! There are so many good resturants in Savannah--I don't know where to begin. Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House is great! The Lady and Son's is also good. Both are good southern cooking and not as "touristy" as pirates house. For up scale dining: The 1790 resturant and the Pink House are tops--both rate 5 star! Next to Disney, Savannah is our get away place. If you have any questions, please let me know. We act as our own tour guides for friends we take to Savannah...the only tips we have gotten are free meals!

We were thinking of trying Mrs. Wilkes' Boarding House when we go in May - how crowded does it get? Everything I have read mentions the long line outside. If we go around 1:00 or so, how long will we have to wait?

Also, has anyone done the horse-drawn carriage tour of Savannah? We were thinking of trying it vs. the trolley tour. Any opinions?

This is what I would suggest:

Check out Mrs. Wilkes website at www.mrswilkes.com
People will start to line up around 10:15 to 10:30 for lunch. There is no sign for this place, just look for the line. If you go around 1 PM, you could expect to wait (standing outside in a line) for around an hour. They will seat as many as they can when they open at 11, so you'll be waiting until someone finishes eating, which could be about 45 min. or more. I haven't been in years (not a place you can get in and out of quickly on my lunch hour) but I think it seats 70 or so. That's jut a guess. They are only open Mon - Friday, so don't go on the weekend!

As far as the tours:
A carriage tour will cover much less ground (the horse can only go so fast), but you will learn a good bit about what you cover.

The trolly/tram tours cover much more ground, but they just point out the landmarks.

The carriage tour might slowly go by Jim Williams house (Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil) and talk a little bit about it. The trolly tour might just have time to say "there is Jim Williams house" as you whiz on by.

I would make a stop at the Visitor's Center to get some brochures on the different tours, as there are TONS. Tours can be started at the visitors center (they mostly, if not all of these, will be the trolly tours). Most of the carriage tours are from city market.

Hope this helps.

Wow! Thank you, Renee! That is great info! If we decide not to go with Mrs. Wilkes, what are some other good places to eat? I know someone mentioned Lady and Sons - what else??? We're really looking forward to seeing Savannah!

Glad to help. Yes, Lady and Sons is wonderful, they have a great buffet. They are in the City Market area. Vinnie Van Go-Gos has excellent pizza in City Market. Check out www.savannah.com, lots of info there.

Also, for tour information, go to google (www.google.com) and do a search on "savannah tours." Most of the different tour companies will come up. This will let you know where they go and what they cost, so you won't have to wait until you get to City Market to get a brochure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter