Saratoga Springs

DisneyAmour

Earning My Ears
Does anyone have experience with Saratoga Springs? This will be our first time staying in Disney but I read a thread that seems to say it takes awhile to get from downtown Disney to the parks and that is where Saratoga is.

Two different things. First, there are no buses that run from DTD to any park. The DTD buses run between the resorts and DTD. But yes, there can be longish waits for those buses. But that shouldn't impact you at all.

SSR is a huge resort. I stayed there just last Dec. There are 4 or 5 internal bus stops, so if you are getting on at the first stop (Grandstand area) it could be 15+ mins before you actually leave SSR and head to the desired park.
But, SSRs location close to DTD doesn't mean it has the same wait times for buses that DTD guests do. Two entirely different things.

It can take a very long time to get from DTD to the parks, because there are no direct buses. If you're hearing reports like that, it's because the person would have had to take a bus from DTD to a resort, and then change buses to go to a theme park.

That's not a problem at SSR; there are direct buses to all 4 theme parks. I don't remember it being a particularly long trip, but as the PP said, there are a number of internal stops at SSR because it's so large, so that can make the trip feel a bit longer.

My family has stayed at SSR for each of its last three visits, and we've been delighted with it. It is a happy medium between the "full Disney immersion" and a nice, quiet resort.

Transportation is a bit problematic, because sometimes you can get frustrated waiting for a bus to your desired park, and in the vein of "the other line moves faster, it always seems as though there are ten buses that roll by for other resorts before one you want comes by. But that's also perception.

We enjoy the Artist's Palette grille - relatively inexpensive by Disney food standards, and everything is made fresh. Although we eat most breakfasts in-room, we particularly enjoy AP's breakfast, with the omelets and skillet-fried potatoes (among other offerings).

SSR also has the benefit of offering full suites with washer-dryers and separate bedrooms, which for us has been vital with 5 people (our family + my mom). Accommodations for that size of party can be had at WDW, but not always in an ideal manner. We "stumbled" onto SSR one year when we were going to book separate rooms for my family and my mom (she likes her privacy) at POFQ, but realized the cost of two regular rooms there that year was only fraction off the cost of a 2BR villa with w/d and full kitchen at SSR. So, for us, SSR is a perfect fit.

...SSR also has the benefit of offering full suites with washer-dryers and separate bedrooms, which for us has been vital with 5 people (our family + my mom). Accommodations for that size of party can be had at WDW, but not always in an ideal manner. We "stumbled" onto SSR one year when we were going to book separate rooms for my family and my mom (she likes her privacy) at POFQ, but realized the cost of two regular rooms there that year was only fraction off the cost of a 2BR villa with w/d and full kitchen at SSR. So, for us, SSR is a perfect fit.

SSR doesn't have suites; it has villas. SSR is a 100% Disney Vacation Club timeshare resort, similar to Old Key West. Suites are different from villas since suites usually indicate a concierge level room at deluxe resorts.

SSR is a great place to go for a morning walk, especially if you just want to take a break from the parks. Plus it has three themed pools; one a the Springs, one at the Grandstand and one at the Paddock. The pool at Congress Park is not themed, but is a very nice pool (almost a little more adult, but never expect it to be kid free).

I've never had any problems with the buses from SSR to the theme parks. And you can just walk over to DTD or you can even take a boat over to DTD.

We absolutely love SSR! I have never found it to be a long wait for a bus, and love taking the boat over to DTD. We do find it nice and quiet, and just as close to perfect as possible. We usually stay in the Paddock, close to the pool (really nice kids pool playground) and its a really nice walk across the bridge to AP.

It can take a very long time to get from DTD to the parks, because there are no direct buses. If you're hearing reports like that, it's because the person would have had to take a bus from DTD to a resort, and then change buses to go to a theme park.

That's not a problem at SSR; there are direct buses to all 4 theme parks. I don't remember it being a particularly long trip, but as the PP said, there are a number of internal stops at SSR because it's so large, so that can make the trip feel a bit longer.

Agree... We've stayed at SSR numerous times with no problems getting to the parks. :thumbsup2

I am staying at SSR in November. There are only 2 of us so we have booked a studio. I am considering requesting the Congress Park area and will hopefully have some luck and get a nice view of DTD. My only concerns with this are the wait times for buses to the parks and the length of the walk to the main building. Has anybody had any experience of this in Congress Park?? :)

I am staying at SSR in November. There are only 2 of us so we have booked a studio. I am considering requesting the Congress Park area and will hopefully have some luck and get a nice view of DTD. My only concerns with this are the wait times for buses to the parks and the length of the walk to the main building. Has anybody had any experience of this in Congress Park?? :)

You can get on any park bus at Congress and that will take you to the Springs (main building area). Get on a DTD bus at the Springs and that will take you back to Congress, if you don't want to walk. My sisters section of choice is Congress, she's never had trouble with buses.

We've stayed in Congress Park many times. The distance to main building to me is not that far but I like to walk. I find we really don't go to the main building maybe once if we go to the restaurant for dinner. We were there in March only went to main building to check in and then to wait for Magical Express.

You can get on any park bus at Congress and that will take you to the Springs (main building area). Get on a DTD bus at the Springs and that will take you back to Congress, if you don't want to walk. My sisters section of choice is Congress, she's never had trouble with buses.

I never even thought of that! Thanks for the advice :-)

We have stayed at all the Disney resorts and SSR is one of our favorites.

We have never had any problems with the transportation there. While SSR is not right next to a park it is very centrally located to all parks and the drive from the property to each park is not that far. In fact Epcot is just over a mile away.

SSR is a wonderful and special Disney resort. It is not for everyone. We prefer it to AKL and the Poly because we don't particularly like darker hotels. SSR is very quiet, very pretty and very big. It is a good idea to call the hotel 1-2 weeks before your check in date to request a villa location. We love the Springs due to its close proximity to the Carriage House, main pool, shop and restaurants. It was about a two minute walk- if that. We took about 15 minutes to walk to Downtown Disney which was great too. So overall, we like the Springs best.

The main pool has a vibrant and lovely atmosphere and it is beautiful. The Paddock pool is pretty new and has a CS grill serving breakfast, lunch and dinner!

I will never forget arriving for the first time and walking to reception, we heard classical music playing in the background. So calming. Then we walked into the lobby and a CM greeted us with 'welcome home'.

I understand why SSR is overlooked, but it is sad that many people on the DISboards really dislike it! It is a wonderful hotel. I would liken it to the BC lobby/ decor wise. Light, airy and spacious!

Meg~ Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

SSR doesn't have suites; it has villas.

My apologies for not nailing the terminology properly.

The unit where we have stayed the last three visits has two bedrooms, a living room, and a full kitchen, along with a stacked washer/dryer. We enjoy SSR immensely and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone, villa/suite/studio terminology apoplexy notwithstanding. It is a lovely resort.

We stayed in Congress park in January it was about 15 minute walk to either Springs or DTD via walking path along the water. FYI we were a group of adults so if you have small children it may take a bit longer. We found the walk is very relaxing and you get the opportunity to take in the sights of the resort. Cant wait for up coming trip in Dec.:banana:

We're a family of 5 and will be staying at SSR the last week of June.
I'm a little concerned about getting around as we won't have a car.

I've heard that "Springs" is a nice section for proximity to check in, restaurants, etc. I've also heard that it's the last stop on the bus route & that the buses might be "standing room only" during busy times of year by the time they reach this particular section.
Could anyone tell me if it's plausible to walk over to the Grandstand section to catch a bus into the parks during busy times of the day/year? I can't exactly visualize how close/far each section is in relation to the others from the maps I've seen with regards to walking distance. I'm considering requesting Springs for proximity; or the Grandstand for bus availability. (I know our request will only be granted based on availability.) Another choice would be The Paddock for the pool (kids aged 7 & 11), tho I'm concerned we could be situated a great distance from same...

I also wonder about getting bkfst for the kids in the AM... I understand there is no rm. service. How long/far is the walk to pick up bkfst at Artist's Palette then back to a room at say Grandstand or Congress Park? Guaging from the map that doesn't seem a viable possiblilty at the other sections of the resort. Is that correct?

I've been told there is pizza delivery from outside vendors. Are there any options for food delivery within the resort? We'll be on the dining plan, so would prefer not to have to pay out of pocket for meals, but I'm sure there will be times when we're dead dog tired yet the kids have to eat...

Any comments, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated since we've never been to SSR and need all the help we can get in planning.

One more question: I've tried to reserve a table at the Turf Club for dinner for a night or two while we're there, but the WDW website shows no availability at times that are convenient for the kids to eat on a few of the days. Is it usually possible to just walk up & request a table for 5? I'm not sure tables are unavailable because it's such a large resort & the TC is the only TS restaurant, if it's due to being totally booked, or if it's "just because" and we might stand a chance...

Thank you for taking the time to read this rather long post & responding.

I've heard that "Springs" is a nice section for proximity to check in, restaurants, etc. I've also heard that it's the last stop on the bus route & that the buses might be "standing room only" during busy times of year by the time they reach this particular section.
Could anyone tell me if it's plausible to walk over to the Grandstand section to catch a bus into the parks during busy times of the day/year? I can't exactly visualize how close/far each section is in relation to the others from the maps I've seen with regards to walking distance. I'm considering requesting Springs for proximity; or the Grandstand for bus availability. (I know our request will only be granted based on availability.) Another choice would be The Paddock for the pool (kids aged 7 & 11), tho I'm concerned we could be situated a great distance from same...

I also wonder about getting bkfst for the kids in the AM... I understand there is no rm. service. How long/far is the walk to pick up bkfst at Artist's Palette then back to a room at say Grandstand or Congress Park? Guaging from the map that doesn't seem a viable possiblilty at the other sections of the resort. Is that correct?

I've been told there is pizza delivery from outside vendors. Are there any options for food delivery within the resort? We'll be on the dining plan, so would prefer not to have to pay out of pocket for meals, but I'm sure there will be times when we're dead dog tired yet the kids have to eat...

Any comments, suggestions, etc will be greatly appreciated since we've never been to SSR and need all the help we can get in planning.

One more question: I've tried to reserve a table at the Turf Club for dinner for a night or two while we're there, but the WDW website shows no availability at times that are convenient for the kids to eat on a few of the days. Is it usually possible to just walk up & request a table for 5? I'm not sure tables are unavailable because it's such a large resort & the TC is the only TS restaurant, if it's due to being totally booked, or if it's "just because" and we might stand a chance...

I may be mistaken on specifics, but I believe SSR is one of the largest resort areas in all of WDW. It's huge. The walking distance from the Paddock to the Artist's Palette is likely exceeded only by the distance from the Carousel. Our first stay at SSR was in the Paddock, and walking to the main lobby was a hike, on top of the fact my mom had a broken foot and was at times in need of a wheel chair I chauffeured for her (gasp, wheeze :) ). Unless you're staying in the Springs, I don't know that I would rely on the ability to walk to Artist's Palette and back to pick up breakfast and not end up finding it cold on your return - unless you're just picking up cold cereals or things like that. When we go to breakfast at AP, we just eat there.

I, personally, wouldn't want to make a practice of walking from the Springs over to the Grandstand every day just for a shot at early seat choice on the buses. In our three visits to SSR, we have, at times found the buses a little full, but I can't recall there ever being a time where we could not board a bus because it was maxed out. The Springs bus stop is right across from the Carriage House, and one year we were assigned a room (oops, villa) in the first building that was ridiculously convenient/close to that bus stop. It was almost like cheating :) For me, I would favor locating at the Springs and taking my chances with bus capacity. The flip side would be to reside somewhere at, say, the Carousel, and discovering a late-night need to go to Artists Palette (which also doubles as a convenience store) or the check-in desk to resolve some issue, but that walk wouldn't be very appealing.

Other folks might disagree with some or all of what I've posted here, but that's my experience. We hope to be assigned to the Springs, and perhaps secondarily to Congress Park with its proximity to Downtown Disney. The Paddock area is nice, but it and the Carousel are the most remote from the Carriage House, and thus somewhat less preferable in my book.

I hope that helps. We have thoroughly enjoyed SSR, think its a seriously underappreciated venue at WDW. Looking forward to a return trip this summer!

Have a great time!

You don't mention what kind of room you're considering, but if you can snag it, a room with a kitchen would allow you the option of making light breakfasts in the room. That's what we do, and also a big reason we don't do DDP.

In the three times we've visited SSR, I've not known of any Disney-based food service delivery.

I can't offer any advice on the Turf Club, as we've never eaten there.

SSR doesn't have suites; it has villas. SSR is a 100% Disney Vacation Club timeshare resort, similar to Old Key West. Suites are different from villas since suites usually indicate a concierge level room at deluxe resorts.

SSR is a great place to go for a morning walk, especially if you just want to take a break from the parks. Plus it has three themed pools; one a the Springs, one at the Grandstand and one at the Paddock. The pool at Congress Park is not themed, but is a very nice pool (almost a little more adult, but never expect it to be kid free).

I've never had any problems with the buses from SSR to the theme parks. And you can just walk over to DTD or you can even take a boat over to DTD.
Well in March, I waited 45 minutes TWICE for a bus to the studios and I timed the MK bus at 33 minutes the second time I was there. I was there visiting my daughter. I know others were saying they always rent a car when staying there because the bus service is so slow there. I must say I have to agree!!! I don't want to have to rent a car at Disney and this is another reason why I hesitate to buy into DVC. I have found that their bus service to those resorts isn't as good as it is to the hotels. Sorry, but that is My Opinion and My Experience.

Oh, and if you are staying in the Congress Park section of SSR anytime soon, you may luck out and run into somebody special to WDW...George K. ;)
That's his temporary home right now! :rotfl2:

SSR is freakin' HUGE!!! My DD is working there right now and I rode from just one section to another in a golf cart! It's pretty far! I wouldn't want to have to walk that more than once! UGH!! I must say that I think the bus service is very slow and lacking tremendously! Now the buses I were on were almost always empty, but they took FOREVER to come!! sigh.... I felt like I wasted SO much time waiting for buses there. It's a beautiful resort but after visiting DD there, and experiencing the bus service and the size of the resort, I have absolutely NO desire to stay there! LOL! Not my cup of tea at all!!! And I think it would be a big hike to walk from one of the bus stops to the other and if it is that busy then you still could possibly not get a seat? I wouldn't want to walk that far. You could be between bus stops when the bus comes and that would suck royally!! I think if you are definitely going to stay there, I would go with the Springs to be closer to the pool and food court. I'm glad you have the DDP. My sandwich was $13.!! It was a lobster salad sandwich and while it was good, I was a bit disappointed in how skimpy they were with the lobster filling. SMH The homemade potato chips are tasty though. But overall, I think the Artist Palette is pricier than many other food court style eateries on property and isn't really any better. Again, JMHO... sorry I'm not giving you rave reviews, but just sharing how I honestly feel about the place. Hope you have a great trip though!! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter