Saratoga or Old Key West?

IHeartTink04

DIS Veteran
Long story short, we are DVC members and our points went into holding because we had to cancel a trip within 30 days.

We are going in September and we won't be able to book until 60 days out because of the points in holding.

We usually stay at Bay Lake so staying in OKW or Saratoga will be different for us but they are likely going to be the only one that is available (maybe AKL), what would be your choice?

We have small kids and are looking for the most convenient of the two.

If AKV is available, take it. I know transportation isn't as convenient, but it's a great resort.

I LOVE OKW, I would definitely choose there over Saratoga. AKV is a wonderful resort too, but as others have mentioned the transportation is difficult at busy times.

We have young ones and love OKW my kids love to have breakfast and play on the back balcony area its huge!!! We love AKV as well but I can't explain it we just prefer OKW

I love AKV. It is my favorite.
Will you have a car? If so, either SSR or Old Key West will be great.
The bus stops several times internally, before leaving for a park, like at the Carribean or Coronado. Also, no conveniently nearby food available like at BLT, so plan accordingly.
I really like SSR, but hate the length of time from boarding the bus to actually leaving the resort. Old Key West has the biggest rooms---a major plus. It feels very condo, away from it all, which many love. Totally different from BLT, so if that is your favorite, you may not like that feel at all.

SSR has kids splash areas at Grandstand and the 2 feature pools (Springs and Paddock) and there is a standard playground near the Congress Park quiet pool.

Its hard to beat the room size in OKW, though ;)

We have stayed at SSR twice & love it! Little tip: request to stay in building 15 and you will be one of the first pick stops for buses and near the Paddock Grill and Pool. It's a great location. Also, you are just a boat ride (or short walk) from Downtown Disney. And of course DD has great shopping & food. I've never stayed at AKV or OKW but I'm sure they'd both be great too. You'll be at Disney so it'll be great no matter where you are. :)

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

SSR for me. I love the pools and think the resort is so attractive. I like the handy QS restaurant too, much better than the OKW offering. We were in building 15 last time and must say it's a great location.

OKW all day long!!! The buses are great with one every 15-20 minutes. Don't let the layout of the resort scare you, if you don't want to walk, you hop any bus and have it drop off at the HH. The only bus I don't use is to Downtown. I take the ferry.

cheryl

I say SSR with young kids mainly because they have two zero entry pools and OKW has a baby pool but I did not like it for my then 16 month DD. She is a pool child so that is the basis for my opinion.

Also my opinion on the buses is that OKW and SSR buses are pretty much the same and I have stayed at both.

my vote is for SSR. We absolutely loved it there. Stayed at AKV twice but now prefer SSR...quiet, very good location (Paddock -next to pool/bus). great resort. We did have our car but only used it once.

These would be my choices:

1. AKV
2. SSR
3. OKW

I think SSR has more to offer than OKW. However, if space is important to you I'd pick OKW. Good Luck!

I'd chose SSR, easily! Of course I'm partial because it is our home resort, but we chose it because we love it there so much. I'm yet to be disappointed in a stay there. It's so peaceful and beautiful. And being so close to DTD is a huge plus for me.

As stated before, I think AKV would be best, but if not available then I would choose SSR for all the reasons stated before. Also, all SSR buildings have elevators where there are only a couple at OKW. You could request ground floor at OKW, but end up on the third floor and have to use the stairs. Even if they all had elevators, I would choose SSR. We have stayed at both multiple times and LOVE both.

We were just at SSR and I would say if you plan on spending much time with the kids at the pool the new one here is fantastic. We also loved walking to DTD. We did not find the buses too hard to tkae or any longer than many of the resorts.

What about food options at both? How do they compare?

I think SSR wins, with multiple CS locations (although I haven't myself seen the one at the new pool) and the Turf Club. OKW has a not impressive CS location and Olivia's.

I would choose OKW for sure. MUCH easier to get around the resort than SSR, and far less confusing. Plus, we like the amenities at OKW and the space of the villas, layout...everything. If all DVC resorts were like OKW, We'd have nothing left to complain about. For you, I'd try for AKV, and if it's not available, go for OKW followed by SSR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter