Sarah & Joe ~Luau Beach 4*29*12~ TR! Reviews posted!

Sunflower29

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I'm Sarah and my fiance is Joe. We've been together for 8 years, engaged for 4, and are finally getting married in 16 weeks! Disney has been a special place for us throughout our entire relationship, and since the day we got engaged we talked about having our wedding here. We originally were hoping to get married in October of 2009, but unfortunately my dad passed away suddenly over that summer and then life kept getting in the way, so our wedding took a backseat for a couple of years.

Fast forward to now. We're in the process of buying our first home and would really like to have a family, so it's time to finally settle down and get married. Two weeks ago we decided we were going to elope under the Memories collection wedding and then do an at home reception, but this weekend my sister told me my mom was really sad about not being able to come, and was going to surprise me and show up on our wedding day! My mom has never been to Disneyworld and I'm pretty sure it would have taken her the entire time just to figure out how to get out of MCO airport, so I'm glad my sister told me. We decided to have just our parents attend and still do an at home reception. I'm surprised with such short notice so many people have asked if they can come see us get married! The whole point of us eloping was because we felt bad only giving people 4 months notice and felt like it would be too expensive. I'm worried some of our family and friends might feel hurt that they can't come, but I know the at home reception will be a blast!

Thanks for reading this long first post. I'm looking forward to sharing our plans and ideas with other Disney couples!

First of all, I have to say that the outpouring of love from family and friends has been tremendous. From wanting to stand up for us to asking to help plan the reception, I did not expect so much support on such short notice. It has been a long 8 years coming and we have learned the hard and painful way that time is just too precious.

Our wedding is at 3pm on Luau Beach at the Polynesian, which was our first choice for everything. We've always wanted to stay at the Poly, and every time we go to Magic Kingdom we walk through this resort, so we're really excited about getting married and spending our first two nights there. We fly down with our families the day before the wedding. They're both staying at a value resort onsite and will meet us in our room on Sunday. I have no idea who to use for hair and makeup, so suggestions would be welcome. After the wedding, we're doing one of two things: 1) Going to O'Hana for dinner and cake and then finishing the night at the Magic Kingdom, or 2) Going right to Magic Kingdom and finishing the night with wishes at O'Hana. No matter what, we want our families to experience dining here. Down to the very meaning of the word, it is the absolute perfect place for us.

Our parents fly home Monday and then we start our honeymoon. We're staying through Thursday and flying home that night, recover on Friday and then our at home reception is that Saturday night. Our moms have asked to handle the reception, which is fine by me. All I want is a relaxed night of friends, family, and fun! It is going to be at my aunt and uncle's hall, and more of a party than a reception. No one ever remembers what the food tasted like or what the tables looked like, but they always remember the fun they had. Our reception night falls on Cinco de Mayo, so we're deciding whether or not to cheese it up with sombreros and party beads, but I know one thing for sure, we're definitely having a photobooth! One of my best friends got married last year and had one, and some of my favorite memories are in those photo strips.

I absolutely cannot wait to finally be married and to share this moment with our family and best friends. More to come. :)

Welcome and congrats!! Your at home reception is on our wedding day! :goodvibes Your plan for small and intimate sounds great! I'm sure your familes are ecstatic it's finally becoming official after 8 years! I love all of the dresses, but I think my favorite is #4, I think at DB even if you order it, it will only take about 6 weeks to come in so you may not need it 'off the rack' persay?

What colors are you thinking, etc? We love the Poly too and are having our RD at 'Ohana, I think your parents will absolutely love it!

For hair & makeup, I am using Beaute Speciale, which is very popular on here and many brides use. They will come right to your hotel room and get you done up! I'm sure some others may chime in with suggestions too!

Can't wait to hear more plans! popcorn::

Congrats and Welcome!!

Your plans so far sound great.

I will be at The Poly that weekend, too! We have our Planning Session on the 26th and are staying for the weekend. Sadly, our flight leaves at 11:30, so I can't take a peek. Maybe I will see you on Saturday though. :cool1:

I am using Janet Mednick of Onsite Beauty. She is coming to the Poly on Friday to do a trial run for me. Several other brides have used her and raved about her.

Looking forward to hearing more.

Another Sarah! Saw your PJ pop up right by mine :)

Everything sounds so great, I'm excited to watch you plan!

Thanks for the welcome. :)

Tricia - I hope you're right about DB! I'd love to not be so limited in my dress choice. Thanks for the recommendation for Beaute Speciale! Do they do hair and makeup?

Beth - the trial run is a great idea! I'll have to see if either of these places can do a trial run for me on Saturday.

My mom and her boyfriend have never been to Disney, and his parents haven't been since he was a child, so this is extra special for all of us! I want to book a dinner somewhere they'll really experience the magic of Disney. Remember, we're doing O'Hana for our wedding dinner, so that's out. What else is as memorable when it comes to dining in Disney?

Welcome! Its so nice that your family will be there with you to celebrate!

I second the Beaute Speciale recommendation. I had them for my engagement pics (my hair trial), my wedding, and MK Bridal Shoot. Not only are they awesome at hair and makeup but they are so nice too!

And I love the dresses you picked out! And I cant wait to see what you decided on!

Today made it official! Our $500 deposit is in and our trip is booked. We also booked our parents' over the weekend. We went back and forth about whether or not to spend 2 nights in the Polynesian, but in the end we decided to stay at the Pop Century on the same floor as our families and get the dining plan. With 5 nights, park tickets, and the dining plan, it still came out $1000 cheaper than with 2 nights booked at the Poly without the dining plan!

I've been working on losing weight for the wedding and am down 8 lbs so far. I go dress shopping with my mom next month, so I'm hoping I can shed another 10 lbs by then.

I can't believe we're only 3 months out now!

Today made it official! Our $500 deposit is in and our trip is booked. We also booked our parents' over the weekend. We went back and forth about whether or not to spend 2 nights in the Polynesian, but in the end we decided to stay at the Pop Century on the same floor as our families and get the dining plan. With 5 nights, park tickets, and the dining plan, it still came out $1000 cheaper than with 2 nights booked at the Poly without the dining plan!

I've been working on losing weight for the wedding and am down 8 lbs so far. I go dress shopping with my mom next month, so I'm hoping I can shed another 10 lbs by then.

I can't believe we're only 3 months out now!

Yay! Congrats on sending your deposit and booking your trip! Maybe the closer you get some promotions will come out and you'll be able to switch over to Poly if you want! But $1000 is $1000 and I'm sure you can find other places to spend it! :goodvibes

Beaute Speciale does do hair and makeup- they offer just about everything you could want!

Congrats on 8lbs already! Good luck on another 10!

hmm as for another dinner for your family, since you'll all have park passes, why not have dinner in one of the parks? Do you want to dine with characters? Ohana for dinner doesn't have any, so if you want a character experience maybe this would be a good time to have one? We really love a bunch of restaurants in Epcot, Sci-Fi in HS, really we have a lot of favorites! What vibe are you going for? If you really wanted interaction you could try the Hoop Dee Doo?

I feel like I've been on the phone for hours, but I got a lot done today:

I booked Jackie from Beaute Speciale and sent in the deposit for that.

I sent in a list of questions to DFTW.

I reserved a table for all of us at O'Hana for 8:45 on our wedding night so we'll be able to see Wishes at 10! I am SO excited about this, our families have never experienced Disney like this. :)

I booked the photo booth for our at home reception. We decided to go with Behind the Curtain.
HTML:
http://www.btcphotobooth.com
Their prices are decent and you get a lot of options! I am also super excited about this!

In the process of setting up our mini Disney cake at O'Hana and our at home reception cake.

I made an ADR for lunch at LeCellier that Tuesday for me and Joe. It's only 1 table credit for lunch.

I still need:
my wedding dress and accessories
invitations

There's plenty more, but those are the most pressing.

I reserved a table for all of us at O'Hana for 8:45 on our wedding night so we'll be able to see Wishes at 10! I am SO excited about this, our families have never experienced Disney like this. :)

I booked the photo booth for our at home reception. We decided to go with Behind the Curtain.
HTML:
Their prices are decent and you get a lot of options! I am also super excited about this!

In the process of setting up our mini Disney cake at O'Hana and our at home reception cake.

I made an ADR for lunch at LeCellier that Tuesday for me and Joe. It's only 1 table credit for lunch.

I still need:
invitations

HTML:

I still need:
invitations

Awesome! You are really making moves! :yay:
Who are you working with for a mini cake at Ohana? We are having our Rehearsal Dinner there and I was debating a cake for us there but wasn't sure how to go about it or if we should try to bring one etc!
Looking forward to more of your plans! popcorn::

I spent a couple of hours reading reviews on officiants and decided to go with Ron Rosenzweig. He is available for our date and time, so that's one more thing to check off the list!

We are going to have a 4 hour lull between the ceremony and ADRs at O'Hana. What should we do? If we go to the parks I can't wear my dress, and I don't think we'd have enough time to go home and change, go to the park, and go home and change again before dinner. I'm thinking it may make more sense to make the ADRs at O'Hana for 4:30 since we'll already be there, and then go to the parks after and watch Wishes. What do you think? Is there anything else we could do for that 4 hour lull? I want to maximize our time together and have it be stress free. This is probably the only time in our lives where both of our families will be together in Disney.

So glad you found the right officiant for you! It's a good feeling.

We are doing our ceremony, reception, then heading into the parks. For us, it will be a bit later so we will probably have less than 2 hours in MK but it is exactly what we wanted. I'm going to buy a light, white sundress to change into after dinner to wear at the parks.

If you can change your dinner reservation earlier so you can eat then hit the parks, that might be nice. Otherwise, maybe you could get a suite at the Polynesian where you could socialize with everyone for a bit? Bring a bottle of champage or something?

Have you thought about visiting the Grand Floridian, Contemporary, or perhaps even Wilderness Lodge during that time? They are all close, and you could maybe just get a drink at one of the lounges and take in the atmosphere. You could even take a ride on the monorail to get the Contemporary of the Grand Floridian.

I got engaged 4 1/2 years ago. That same week I started looking at dresses online. For 4 years I dreamt about one dress in particular. I'd pull it up every so often on the computer and dream about my wedding day. Today my mom and I went to a bridal salon and I finally got to try that dress on.
This is the dress I have been in love with for the past 4 years:
gown3.jpg

And this is how it looked on me:
close2nd-1.png

I was sooooo disappointed when I tried it on. I didn't like the way it looked on me at all. I look HUGE in it.

BUT! It was the 4th and last dress I tried on. Thankfully, I was in love with another one by that point, dress #2. I can't find pictures of it online, and the ones I thought I saved to my phone didn't save so pics will have to wait until my fitting on Saturday. There's a TINY part of me that's afraid I'll regret not getting the one I've loved since I got engaged, but then I see the pics of me in it and I feel better about my decision!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter