Sandra Bullock donates $1 million to Red Cross

dmadman43 said:
That money was already collected well before the tragedy occured.

Good, it's already collected. It will be much easier to distribute. Just get a couple signatures, and it's a done deal. Really wouldn't the money be much better spent on the tsunami victims than on a party?

Crankyshank said:
I didn't realize that celebrities are required to publically announce their large monetary donations and must donate for every natural disaster. Sandra Bullock donated a lot of money- that's fabulous. but let's hold off a bit with the tar and feathers. It's only been a week.

Maybe other celebrities have donated money privately, to charities all along this year, or maybe (like others) they are still deciding which organization to donate through.

Indeed. Bullock should thank her agent for ensuring she stays relevant during this tragedy. What is it they say in Hollywood? Any publicity is good publicity? Why did we have to know this, anyway. Don't get me wrong. It's fabulous she has the resourced to to this (thanks to her fans), but does it really need to be publicized? I'm sort of reminded of that Stuart character from MadTV. "Look what I can do!"

momof2inPA said:
Good, it's already collected. It will be much easier to distribute. Just get a couple signatures, and it's a done deal. Really wouldn't the money be much better spent on the tsunami victims than on a party?

Much of it is spent/contracted/committed at this point. It doesn't get donated to Congress to spend as it pleases--it's donated for a purpose and it's a done deal. They've been building the different outdoor venues for weeks now. The parade participants have had their trips planned/paid for by now. Hotels have been booked for quite some time. Cancelling a large scale event isn't a good idea. The philanthropic benefit may look good for the President--but then you have a lot of businesses not making the incomes that they planned on making and lay people who would lose money b/c this event were scaled down or even cancelled. You might say well at least they have their home and their lives--well..true, but it won't change the fact that they'd lose their money over something they had no control over.

I mean--perhaps the NFL should donate a portion of those ad sales...or perhaps cancel the halftime show b/c the hoopla isn't necessary. The world can help the disaster victims--but it can't entirely stop in it's tracks either. People have the right to celebrate something they feel like celebrating.

The Tsunami is NOT a political event and should not be politicized.

dmadman43 said:
Indeed. Bullock should thank her agent for ensuring she stays relevant during this tragedy. What is it they say in Hollywood? Any publicity is good publicity? Why did we have to know this, anyway. Don't get me wrong. It's fabulous she has the resourced to to this (thanks to her fans), but does it really need to be publicized? I'm sort of reminded of that Stuart character from MadTV. "Look what I can do!"

I say good for her--but this thought crossed my mind...more though along the lines of people's inquiries on where are the other celebrities...they are speaking with their agents and negotiating how to get the biggest bang for their buck...how much do they have to donate for the most staying power. Terrible thought--but it did pop up.

momof2inPA said:

Possibly. Then again, in '99 how much did the Inauguration committee give to typhoon victims in SE Asia?, or Hurrican Mitch victims in Central America. or China Earthquake victims? It's always easy to spend other people's money, isn't it?

I'm sure the money has already been spent, don't you think? We are only 3 weeks away. It's a noble but ill-thought out thought.

mrsltg said:
I disagree. I think that we should all be saying it LOUDLY enough for people who are so well off to hear it and respond. If you have the good fortune to make $20,000,000 pretending to be someone else for four months, you should be ponying up the cash now. If you are a titan of business and are lucky enough to make millions every year, you should be reaching into those deep pockets of yours. There should be shame associated with the rich who are doing nothing. If you have it within your means to make this horror better, you should. Kudos to Ms. Bullock for donating.

Erin :D

Again, it's always easy to spend other people's money. Why do YOU care how someone else spends their money? How does it affect you?

I really don't understand this "if you are rich, you should" mentality.

I like to hear about celebs making big donations like Sandra Bullock did because....it makes them more human like you and I.
If makes it seem like they are doing what you could only dream of doing.

publicity or not...she donated $1 million. I am impressed.

on Access Hollywood they said Jackie Chan? I think thats his name, from rush hour, donated money and so did Leo Di Caprio.

whirlsy said:
on Access Hollywood they said Jackie Chan? I think thats his name, from rush hour, donated money and so did Leo Di Caprio.

hubba hubaa. A lot of Americans have donated money. Were they on Access Hollywood?

I am impressed by the number no matter what - I doubt she did it for any reason other than to help others. I imagine her donation will bring more public awareness to donating and hopefully some of her fans will follow suit

as to diverting money from the inaugaration - who is to say we can't do both? Big events like this are not necessarily a draw on the economy - there will be a lot of money spent in Dc in conjunction with the inaugaration - including airfare, hotel, rental cars, touris, restaurants, etc. - to cancel now would hurt these people financially -

did you know there is one ball exclusively for military personel who have been in or are going to Iraq? I would imagine they might be looking forward to a night out!

Every presidnet has had an inaugaration for every term he has served - there is no reason for Bush not to have this one - it is a celebration of our democracy and even if you despise the current administration - you should celebrate the fact that you have right to do so!

julia & nicks mom said:
Every presidnet has had an inaugaration for every term he has served - there is no reason for Bush not to have this one - it is a celebration of our democracy and even if you despise the current administration - you should celebrate the fact that you have right to do so!

I didn't say not to have an inauguration, but tone it down. Make it more of a swearing in ceremony. It looks ridiculously unsympathetic for this country to throw a big party in the wake of the largest natural disaster of our times. Take the money that hasn't been spent and use it for good.

If Kerry had won, I would feel the same way. It's just a party. No one will miss having it.

The money has already been spent on the inauguration.

It's easy to say, "just take this money and put it towards that" when it's not your money.

Again, I say worry about your own situation. Judge your own finances and no one else's.

Well, first thing first, I must put on my flame retardant suit <zip>

OK, while I think its great that all these people are donating money to the disaster wouldn't it be nice to if maybe they could donate to this country in such large amounts? Where were they (publicly) when the hurricanes hit? What about all the homeless, hungry and poor?
Now please don't misunderstand me, I think the whole situation is just tragic and those that can help should, but its sad to me that people only donate such huge amounts when there is such a catastrophe. Could you imagine what things would be like if a donation drive of this magnitude went on say once a year to help people in this country.
Now I know that we don't know what celebrities and/or company charitable contributions are on a regular basis but its nothing like the funds coming in for this.
I just think its sad that it takes a huge catastophe for people to give so generously (sp?)

IMHO

phorsenuf said:
OK, while I think its great that all these people are donating money to the disaster wouldn't it be nice to if maybe they could donate to this country in such large amounts? Where were they (publicly) when the hurricanes hit? What about all the homeless, hungry and poor?

No flames here - but in all fairness to Sandra Bullock - she donated a million dollars to 9/11 as well - something tells me she doesn't just donate to the BIG events - she probably donates all the time in appropriate amounts -
a quote by the ARC president indicates this is probably the case

"Sandra continues to enable our lifesaving work and is a model for personal generosity"

A lot of people seem to be stepping up and doing what they can now - it has only been a week and people are only now beginning to grasp the full scope of what has happened -

more stars are starting to help - here is a link to an article that details some of their activities:

http://www.ew.com/ew/report/0,6115,1013605_10_0_,00.html

How could anyone not like Sandra Bullock? She's nice, she started out struggling, she seems more down to Earth than some of the other famous people? :D So....I'm glad she's donating large sums of money to help people. Hey she could be buying more bling bling and cars with it instead?? :earseek:

I love Sandra....always have, even before all this . My DH does too, he always tells the kids that when I die, that'll be their next mother. :rolleyes:

jrydberg said:
The money has already been spent on the inauguration.

It's easy to say, "just take this money and put it towards that" when it's not your money.

Again, I say worry about your own situation. Judge your own finances and no one else's.

It's just my opinion that the president of my country could set the tone of how his supporters are spending their money by requesting that they spend it on charity as opposed to galas. The caterers and hotels in DC will get over it. They're much better off than the Sri Lanakans without homes. Don't you think? If the president requested that the parties be cancelled, that would be a truly altruistic gesture that no one could deny. It would make headlines world wide and create tons of good will. He's missing a golden opportunity.

momof2inPA said:
It's just my opinion that the president of my country could set the tone of how his supporters are spending their money by requesting that they spend it on charity as opposed to galas. The caterers and hotels in DC will get over it. They're much better off than the Sri Lanakans without homes. Don't you think? If the president requested that the parties be cancelled, that would be a truly altruistic gesture that no one could deny. It would make headlines world wide and create tons of good will. He's missing a golden opportunity.

Even if the president cancelled the galas there is no guarentee that that money would be given to charity. Alot of it would be returned to the contributors and they may or may not donate.
Also, isn't the inaugaration soon? That actually could create a hardship for some companies because I imagine things of this magnitude have to be planned so far in advance that cancelling orders now could be a problem.

Besides why does America always have to show face? Why is it so important that we always "look" good. We do so much already for so many that we shouldn't have to keep proving ourselves. It seems so many countries love to bash America but as soon as they need something.....
OK I'll shut up now and get off my soapbox.

minniepumpernickel said:
How could anyone not like Sandra Bullock? She's nice, she started out struggling, she seems more down to Earth than some of the other famous people? :D So....I'm glad she's donating large sums of money to help people. Hey she could be buying more bling bling and cars with it instead?? :earseek:

I don't know Sandra Bullock, so I don't know if she is down to earth or not. All we know about her is what her publicist wants us to know. Her public persona seems to indicate she is a nice person. But, then again, so did Bob Crane's

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter