~ * ~ San Diego and Baja California ~ * ~

As for the 15 hour drive, good for you! I've been a kid and an adult on long car rides like that. The first thing I will say is, your attitude (and that of all the other adults in the car) is key. If you view it as an adventure, your child will probably enjoy car rides their whole life. If you (or others) view it as a hassle, then you will have a fussy, cranky 1 year old the whole trip. Of course there might be some crankiness anyway. So make sure you bring plenty of patience.

What time of day do you plan to go? For a 15 hour (ish) trip, you basically have three options (listed in order of how experienced you are with long car rides).

1) Leave in the morning, drive 8 hours, stop overnight somewhere. Do it again the second day.
2) Get up VERY early in the morning, and drive the whole way straight (stopping for food, of course, but not for sleep.)
3) Leave in the afternoon, drive all night long. (This way requires multiple experienced drivers.)

Now I can already hear some people saying 15 hours in a car with a 1 YO without stopping at a hotel is crazy, but hey, they probably think just driving that far with a 1 YO is crazy anyway. It's really more about how comfortable you are with long drives than your child. The first option breaks it up, and could feel less stressful. Or it could feel more drawn out. If you have the time, you could combine this with a day trip at the 8 hour location to extend your vacation in either direction. #2 gets the trip over in a single day, while still giving you daylight most of the way. It helps to have two drivers for this, but it is not needed. I used to do 14 hour drives from NJ to Indiana, 6 times a year for 7 years, and I could do it in one stretch by myself. It makes the 6-8 hour drives I do now with my wife and sons feel like nothing. It helped that I had been doing long car rides with my parents since I was 1 YO. #3 actually would be easiest from a driving perspective. Less traffic, less heat, less sunglare. This would actually be the easiest for your 1 YO too, since they will probably sleep most of the night. (my kids LOVED sleeping in the car, but YMMV). But you'd need at least two drivers, preferably ones that are good sleeping in the car. That is how my parents would do it. One would drive, one would sleep, then halfway through the night, they'd reverse it. When my sister and I were of driving age, we would do three shifts so one person would be awake with the driver. Theoretically, you can drive forever like this, with the three of you switching off regularly.

In the end, you'll have to do it the way that makes the most sense to you, but do try to view it as an adventure, not a chore. Have a great time!

My mom and I have done multiple drives from Idaho to California since we are from there originally. My fiancé also has done long drives from Idaho to Illinois, so they will be doing the driving and I get to just sit back and relax (haha map duty). Since I am a FTM I've never experienced traveling with a baby lol. We would probably either split it into 2 days, or get up really early and drive the whole way in one go, depending what they want to do. I've read that driving at night can be a good option but I don't think my mom would want to do that one. What are good tips for keeping the baby entertained while on the journey? iPad? Toys?

What are good tips for keeping the baby entertained while on the journey? iPad? Toys?

Of course, it depends a lot on the individual child. And in this case, that baby isn't here yet, right? LOL. So we don't know what they will like, etc.

But I can still give you some general tips. You know this long car trip is coming, before the baby is even born. That gives you an advantage. So get the baby used to car rides, even as an infant. They don't have to be 15 hours, just make sure you take car rides often. Perhaps sometimes at nap time to get them used to sleeping in the car. If you want, closer to the trip, you could consider taking a day trip or an overnight of a few/several hours to try it out.

(I had a, [crazy] friend who took his three young kids on a nine hour drive from NJ to Maine, just for the day [they saw the sunrise on Catalac mountain, and then headed home] just to get them used to long car rides. It worked. They take long car trips every summer [the boys are teens now]
and they LOVE it.)

If the baby views cars as fun exciting places from the beginning, when your trip comes up, it will be a lot easier! You are already thinking ahead and planning for it. You are going to do great!

My mom and I have done multiple drives from Idaho to California since we are from there originally. My fiancé also has done long drives from Idaho to Illinois, so they will be doing the driving and I get to just sit back and relax (haha map duty). Since I am a FTM I've never experienced traveling with a baby lol. We would probably either split it into 2 days, or get up really early and drive the whole way in one go, depending what they want to do. I've read that driving at night can be a good option but I don't think my mom would want to do that one. What are good tips for keeping the baby entertained while on the journey? iPad? Toys?

We've been visiting San Diego several times a year over the past 8 yrs. to see our children and grandkids. We've gone in late Oct many trips and it has not been in the 90's. High 80's would be an exception. 75 -85 degrees is the typical weather we've had.

I'd reconsider Sea World. We never thought we'd like it but it's fantastic for families esp. the park in San Diego. They have so much interactive fun for a young child. Brilliant colors, great shows (don't miss the dolphin show), a splash area, and all rides are included in the price. Also, LEGOLAND has a lot to offer and is a big draw for families with young children. Both parks are pretty expensive so check mousesavers.com for discounts. IMO the San Diego zoo is tougher to navigate given it's size and magnitude. It can stretch into a very long day and may not be as enjoyable for you with your little one esp. if you're not a big zoo person.

As others have noted, for a relaxing day at the beach - drive to Coronado and visit the Hotel Del Coronado. It's a public beach with free parking and the hotel is very welcoming to day visitors. There's an ice cream parlor, shops, food, etc. right at the hotel and a lot of places in town to walk, browse and visit. We love it there!

WE also really love Del Mar, CA. You can drive and park anywhere near the Café Americana and get a great meal there and walk to the beach/park area. It's a perfect place to go any day anytime. You can't beat breakfast at the Americana. (my DH's favorite are the buttermilk pancakes) OMG!

We were just there over Mother's Day Weekend and went to the Port to see the Wonder. There is only 1 hotel conveniently located right across the street on Harbor Drive - The Wyndham San Diego Bayside - which includes a parking package. http://www.sandiegocruiseshipparking.com/

Otherwise, we did not notice any other hotels or cruise parking on Harbor Drive at this Port. The official offsite long-term lots are listed here: https://www.portofsandiego.org/port-parking-information/long-term-cruise-parking.html.

As others have suggested, I strongly recommend you break up your road trip with an overnight stay. Not sure what your route is, but a stop in Vegas for the night might be fun. You'll get the brunt of the driving out of the way on the first leg with a 4.5-5 hr drive left for the next morning.

I can't help with Mexico but I do have lots of pics of several tourist attractions and beaches in and around San Diego as well as Wonder at the cruise terminal and the surrounding port area. Just let me know if you'd like to see anything.

Of course, it depends a lot on the individual child. And in this case, that baby isn't here yet, right? LOL. So we don't know what they will like, etc.

But I can still give you some general tips. You know this long car trip is coming, before the baby is even born. That gives you an advantage. So get the baby used to car rides, even as an infant. They don't have to be 15 hours, just make sure you take car rides often. Perhaps sometimes at nap time to get them used to sleeping in the car. If you want, closer to the trip, you could consider taking a day trip or an overnight of a few/several hours to try it out.

(I had a, [crazy] friend who took his three young kids on a nine hour drive from NJ to Maine, just for the day [they saw the sunrise on Catalac mountain, and then headed home] just to get them used to long car rides. It worked. They take long car trips every summer [the boys are teens now]
and they LOVE it.)

If the baby views cars as fun exciting places from the beginning, when your trip comes up, it will be a lot easier! You are already thinking ahead and planning for it. You are going to do great!

Thats a great idea. We have lots of mountains we can drive up into for a day trip or overnight camping without even leaving the state. I know I am getting super ahead of myself since baby isn't even here yet and our cruise is over a year away haha!
We've been visiting San Diego several times a year over the past 8 yrs. to see our children and grandkids. We've gone in late Oct many trips and it has not been in the 90's. High 80's would be an exception. 75 -85 degrees is the typical weather we've had.

I'd reconsider Sea World. We never thought we'd like it but it's fantastic for families esp. the park in San Diego. They have so much interactive fun for a young child. Brilliant colors, great shows (don't miss the dolphin show), a splash area, and all rides are included in the price. Also, LEGOLAND has a lot to offer and is a big draw for families with young children. Both parks are pretty expensive so check mousesavers.com for discounts. IMO the San Diego zoo is tougher to navigate given it's size and magnitude. It can stretch into a very long day and may not be as enjoyable for you with your little one esp. if you're not a big zoo person.

As others have noted, for a relaxing day at the beach - drive to Coronado and visit the Hotel Del Coronado. It's a public beach with free parking and the hotel is very welcoming to day visitors. There's an ice cream parlor, shops, food, etc. right at the hotel and a lot of places in town to walk, browse and visit. We love it there!

WE also really love Del Mar, CA. You can drive and park anywhere near the Café Americana and get a great meal there and walk to the beach/park area. It's a perfect place to go any day anytime. You can't beat breakfast at the Americana. (my DH's favorite are the buttermilk pancakes) OMG!

We were just there over Mother's Day Weekend and went to the Port to see the Wonder. There is only 1 hotel conveniently located right across the street on Harbor Drive - The Wyndham San Diego Bayside - which includes a parking package. http://www.sandiegocruiseshipparking.com/

Otherwise, we did not notice any other hotels or cruise parking on Harbor Drive at this Port. The official offsite long-term lots are listed here: https://www.portofsandiego.org/port-parking-information/long-term-cruise-parking.html.

As others have suggested, I strongly recommend you break up your road trip with an overnight stay. Not sure what your route is, but a stop in Vegas for the night might be fun. You'll get the brunt of the driving out of the way on the first leg with a 4.5-5 hr drive left for the next morning.

I can't help with Mexico but I do have lots of pics of several tourist attractions and beaches in and around San Diego as well as Wonder at the cruise terminal and the surrounding port area. Just let me know if you'd like to see anything.

I don't like SeaWorld or most zoos because I don't think they treat animals ethically. So its more of a personal reason on why I would prefer not to visit them. I like the idea of just going to the beach and having a good meal & relaxing. I was thinking we would probably stay at the Wyndham since its right across the street & offers the parking package.

Thats a great idea. We have lots of mountains we can drive up into for a day trip or overnight camping without even leaving the state. I know I am getting super ahead of myself since baby isn't even here yet and our cruise is over a year away haha!

Getting ahead of yourself now is a GOOD thing. When the baby comes, you may find your planning ahead time has been, ahem, "curtailed." So I'd say enjoy the preparation time now, and then you'll be in good shape when the baby comes. I LOVE the idea of day trips or camping trips up the mountain! I started camping and hiking when I was little also, and consequently, I still love it today, and so do my sons. Of course, sometimes kids won't like the things that you do, but if there are things you DO like, expose your kids to them early and make positive memories. That is your best chance to encourage them to like it too.

Not to be a total downer since you are so excited, but...

You are eagerly making plans without knowing a single thing about your child.

For instance, some kids HATE the car. My #1 could scream for hours and hours and hours in the car. Seriously. Road trips were AWFUL. And by road trips, I mean 4 hours.
Also, he throws up the second roads get twisty. (Which is why I think he hated the car.)

#2 Child would love a road trip from Idaho to San Diego. He'd sleep the whole time.

I guess what I'm saying is, be careful being too excited and too planned before you know what your child is like.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter