~ * ~ San Diego and Baja California ~ * ~

kittyklawz

Mouseketeer
We are currently booked for our first cruise!
We will be celebrating our honeymoon on the 5 night Baja Halloween on the High Seas on Oct 14, 2018 :)

I am looking for recommendations on things to do in Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas, as well as some fun things to do in San Diego. We are thinking of extending our trip a few days either before or after the cruise.

I know there is the San Diego Zoo, but wondering what else there might be to explore in the area?
The glass bottom boat tours in Cabo sound fun, but would love to hear from people who have done it, what company you went through etc. Booking through Disney seems super expensive compared to booking through Expedia or other sites.

Also hotel recommendations & parking near the port in San Diego, as we will most likely be driving.
Any helpful tips you can add about traveling with a 1 year old on a 15 hour drive :P

In Cabo, we hired a glass bottom boat right at the port. We negotiated the rate to $20 for about a 45 minute tour. We walked around the port and had lunch at a broken down food truck, sitting on rims with no running water in a dirt parking lot behind the Mercado at the Marina. It was the best food of the trip. We then walked over to the "local's beach" Playa De La Empacadora.

We live in San Diego. October is the hottest month of the year here. There is the San Diego Zoo, our Old Town and Balboa Park. Beyond the city is Coronado Island and La Jolla. Its hard to make suggestions without knowing more about your family and what you want to do.

Parking at some hotels in downtown San Diego can cost upwards of $60 a night, so when you pick a hotel, check the hotel parking rates.

For driving with a one year old...iPad, snacks, new toys and reading lots of books. Pack lunch so you can stop at a park and run around for an hour or so en route. Blankets and lovies help with sleeping in the car.

In Cabo, we hired a glass bottom boat right at the port. We negotiated the rate to $20 for about a 45 minute tour. We walked around the port and had lunch at a broken down food truck, sitting on rims with no running water in a dirt parking lot behind the Mercado at the Marina. It was the best food of the trip. We then walked over to the "local's beach" Playa De La Empacadora.

We live in San Diego. October is the hottest month of the year here. There is the San Diego Zoo, our Old Town and Balboa Park. Beyond the city is Coronado Island and La Jolla. Its hard to make suggestions without knowing more about your family and what you want to do.

Parking at some hotels in downtown San Diego can cost upwards of $60 a night, so when you pick a hotel, check the hotel parking rates.

For driving with a one year old...iPad, snacks, new toys and reading lots of books. Pack lunch so you can stop at a park and run around for an hour or so en route. Blankets and lovies help with sleeping in the car.
We probably wouldn't want to do anything that requires much skill level. My mother will be joining us and she is in her 60s with a bad knee, plus toting the child around lol. It will be my fiancé, me, my mom, and our son. How hot is it in October? It will be nice getting away to a warmer place, we live in idaho and its pretty cold in October. We are from CA originally but the bay area, but my mom did grow up near Disneyland. We want to do stuff that will be enjoyable for all of us and not break the bank. Thanks for your suggestions so far!

I forgot to ask you, do you remember the name of the company you did the boat tour with?

It can be in the 90's in October. It won't be that high every day, but it does get pretty hot. I plan for 80's and hope for 70's. Cabo is generally hotter than San Diego.

Other things for a young family in San Diego are Sea World, Legoland, Balboa Park (museums). Seaport Village is a small unique shopping area with a Merry Go Round right in downtown, close to the cruise port. There's a thing called Seal Tours that is like a bus that goes into the San Diego Bay for a narrated tour, that may or may not be interesting. Old town San Diego has some museums and restaurants and the Whaley House which is supposed to the be the most haunted house in the country.

Last October, it was consistently in the high 90s. As far as the boat tour, I have no idea who it was...it was just some dudes trying to get people to go out on a boat tour. I speak Spanish, so I was comfortable just going with the flow in Mexico.

San Diego Zoo is a LOT of walking and most of the Zoo is very hilly. I am not sure the combo of your mom's bad knee plus carrying the kiddo will be awesome. The zoo is impressive though. Balboa Park and Seaport Village are worth a visit and they are free. The museums do have small charges though.

It can be in the 90's in October. It won't be that high every day, but it does get pretty hot. I plan for 80's and hope for 70's. Cabo is generally hotter than San Diego.

Other things for a young family in San Diego are Sea World, Legoland, Balboa Park (museums). Seaport Village is a small unique shopping area with a Merry Go Round right in downtown, close to the cruise port. There's a thing called Seal Tours that is like a bus that goes into the San Diego Bay for a narrated tour, that may or may not be interesting. Old town San Diego has some museums and restaurants and the Whaley House which is supposed to the be the most haunted house in the country.

Last October, it was consistently in the high 90s. As far as the boat tour, I have no idea who it was...it was just some dudes trying to get people to go out on a boat tour. I speak Spanish, so I was comfortable just going with the flow in Mexico.

San Diego Zoo is a LOT of walking and most of the Zoo is very hilly. I am not sure the combo of your mom's bad knee plus carrying the kiddo will be awesome. The zoo is impressive though. Balboa Park and Seaport Village are worth a visit and they are free. The museums do have small charges though.

She had expressed interest in going to the zoo already, but we will take it one day at a time and see how she feels when we get closer to the dates. I think she has been there before. We might also go to Disneyland for a day instead of the zoo. We will have to check out Balboa Park and Seaport Village :)

We won't really mind it being in the 80's or 90's we love to swim so we are looking forward to enjoying the water at the beach in Cabo and the pools on the ship. In Idaho it is consistently in the 100's all summer long for the most part and its a super dry desert heat. October is generally pretty cold so it will be fun to be on the sunny beach while everyone at home is freezing.

She had expressed interest in going to the zoo already, but we will take it one day at a time and see how she feels when we get closer to the dates. I think she has been there before. We might also go to Disneyland for a day instead of the zoo. We will have to check out Balboa Park and Seaport Village :)

We won't really mind it being in the 80's or 90's we love to swim so we are looking forward to enjoying the water at the beach in Cabo and the pools on the ship. In Idaho it is consistently in the 100's all summer long for the most part and its a super dry desert heat. October is generally pretty cold so it will be fun to be on the sunny beach while everyone at home is freezing.

Anaheim is 2 hours from San Diego, so that would add in 4 hours (hoping for no traffic) in the car to go to Disneyland. (I wasn't sure if you were aware of that. I had to look it up myself. :) )

We are currently booked for our first cruise!
We will be celebrating our honeymoon on the 5 night Baja Halloween on the High Seas on Oct 14, 2018 :)

I am looking for recommendations on things to do in Ensenada and Cabo San Lucas, as well as some fun things to do in San Diego. We are thinking of extending our trip a few days either before or after the cruise.

I know there is the San Diego Zoo, but wondering what else there might be to explore in the area?
The glass bottom boat tours in Cabo sound fun, but would love to hear from people who have done it, what company you went through etc. Booking through Disney seems super expensive compared to booking through Expedia or other sites.

Also hotel recommendations & parking near the port in San Diego, as we will most likely be driving.
Any helpful tips you can add about traveling with a 1 year old on a 15 hour drive :P

Seaport Village is a great place to visit in San Diego. Also, the U.S.S. Midway is a very cool aircraft carrier museum if you are interested in history. You can go over to Coronado and visit the Hotel Del Coronado which was the decor inspiration for the Grand Floridian Resort at WDW. There is a beach right by that resort as well. The zoo is very popular, but it is also expensive. Balboa Park is a cool place to visit. One of our favorite places to eat is the Fish Market Restaurant (lower level). It is an easy walk from Seaport Village and right by the U.S.S. Midway.

If you want to go to Disneyland, it will take 2-4 hours to get there depending on traffic.

I have never gotten off the boat in Ensenada, but that port was added one time when we were on a cruise heading towards a tropical storm. One of our ports was canceled, so they added Ensenada. We were on a different cruise line for that cruise.

Cabo San Lucas is probably my favorite cruise port. Our favorite thing to do is walk all the way around the harbor and go to the beach. There are some great bars/places to eat along the beach about half way down. Just walking on the beach there is so much fun. You get great pictures of ships in the ocean (since you have to tender there).

I'm on a Princess cruise next April that goes to Ensenada. I've booked a tour that goes to 2 wineries for that day.

Anaheim is 2 hours from San Diego, so that would add in 4 hours (hoping for no traffic) in the car to go to Disneyland. (I wasn't sure if you were aware of that. I had to look it up myself. :) )
Oh yeah, thats not a problem. We would either stay in San Diego and do a few things OR do Disney instead. Just depends what we can afford closer to the trip.
Seaport Village is a great place to visit in San Diego. Also, the U.S.S. Midway is a very cool aircraft carrier museum if you are interested in history. You can go over to Coronado and visit the Hotel Del Coronado which was the decor inspiration for the Grand Floridian Resort at WDW. There is a beach right by that resort as well. The zoo is very popular, but it is also expensive. Balboa Park is a cool place to visit. One of our favorite places to eat is the Fish Market Restaurant (lower level). It is an easy walk from Seaport Village and right by the U.S.S. Midway.

If you want to go to Disneyland, it will take 2-4 hours to get there depending on traffic.

I have never gotten off the boat in Ensenada, but that port was added one time when we were on a cruise heading towards a tropical storm. One of our ports was canceled, so they added Ensenada. We were on a different cruise line for that cruise.

Cabo San Lucas is probably my favorite cruise port. Our favorite thing to do is walk all the way around the harbor and go to the beach. There are some great bars/places to eat along the beach about half way down. Just walking on the beach there is so much fun. You get great pictures of ships in the ocean (since you have to tender there).
I know a lot of people don't get off the boat there, but we want to since we've never been to at least stretch our legs a bit and maybe do some shopping, or get some mexican beer lol. I want to do the beach and maybe a glass bottom boat tour in Cabo. Definitely the beach. Is it within walking distance from the port or would we want to get a cab?

I'm on a Princess cruise next April that goes to Ensenada. I've booked a tour that goes to 2 wineries for that day.
I was looking at those as well and thought it might be fun.

I know a lot of people don't get off the boat there, but we want to since we've never been to at least stretch our legs a bit and maybe do some shopping, or get some mexican beer lol. I want to do the beach and maybe a glass bottom boat tour in Cabo. Definitely the beach. Is it within walking distance from the port or would we want to get a cab?
It is fun to walk around the harbor to the beach. You might walk around the harbor on the way there and then get a water taxi when you go back to the cruise ship tender dock. It might take 30-45 minutes to walk around the harbor depending on how fast you walk. It's been a while since I have been to Cabo, so I can't give specific timing.

maybe a glass bottom boat tour in Cabo.
Just be aware that many of those "glass bottom boats" are small skiffs with a tiny window (about 2X4 feet) surrounded by a 3 foot tall wall that everyone onboard is crowding around to try to see something through the murky glass and water.

And, often the fish aren't very cooperative about staying underneath those boats. They are more interested in being alongside getting fed.

I've done the winery tour and the horseback riding excursions in Ensenada. The winery tour was fun, but keep in mind we didn't have kids with us. The horseback riding, not so much. The horses looked sad and spiritless. Not the proud thoroughbreds from the brochures.

As far as San Diego, if you have the budget for Disneyland use it on Sea World. It's fun and you can experience it while they still have a killer whale show. (RIP Shamu) It also king of goes with the cruising theme ( ocean beaches and what not)If Disneyland is a must, To avoid traffic,I'd leave at the crack of dawn and don"t head back until they close. Otherwise, the drive isn't worth it.(imo)

On the inexpensive end you can always hang out in the gas lamp district in San Diego, eating great Mexican food.

It is fun to walk around the harbor to the beach. You might walk around the harbor on the way there and then get a water taxi when you go back to the cruise ship tender dock. It might take 30-45 minutes to walk around the harbor depending on how fast you walk. It's been a while since I have been to Cabo, so I can't give specific timing.

Do note that since the "water taxis" have to do a beach landing, the port? often closes down beach landings if the waves are too rough, which is common, so don't plan on a water taxi to the beach...allow enough time to walk...or grab a taxi...or go to the beach that I recommended. Its on the tender-side of the marina.

She had expressed interest in going to the zoo already, but we will take it one day at a time and see how she feels when we get closer to the dates
Take her to the zoo. There are lots of hills, but you can avoid those. There's a narrated bus tour that lasts about 45 minutes. You'll want to do that and then afterward, you can use the Kangaroo bus, which has several drop off and pick up locations. You can walk down to something and then bus back up in many cases. There are a couple moving sidewalks to take people back up from the canyons, too. Also, look into the behind the scenes tours. They give up close and personal tours to some of the animals and to me it well worth the price.

One thing to keep in mind is that the food at the zoo is generally terrible. They have one good restaurant, Alberts, which is pricey. I wouldn't plan for a delicious meal at the zoo. The snacks are okay, but they manage to destroy anything that is supposed to be food.

My family loves to use the ASTC Travel Passport program (http://www.astc.org/passport/). In Idaho, you could get a family membership to the Discovery Center of Idaho in Boise and thus get free admission into the Fleet Science Center and Natural History Museum, both of which are in Balboa Park right next to the San Diego Zoo. Great for young kids. And parking is free in Balboa Park.

Only a few blocks walk from the B Street Cruise Ship Terminal in San Diego (where the Disney Wonder docks) is San Diego's Waterfront Park. It's a fairly new playground that also has these cool big rectangular splash fountains the kids can play in. The water is only like 6 inches deep, so 1-year-olds and toddlers love to splash around, and grownups can just walk in with no shoes without requiring a full swimsuit. So if you need to kill some time between returning a rental car and waiting around close to the terminal waiting for your boarding time, that's a good option.

With regards to hotels in the area, there are many in the downtown and Gaslamp Quarter, but they tend to be expensive with high parking rates. Hotel Circle and Mission Valley also have many hotels but again charge $25 per parking. My family will often stay at a Hampton Inn or Fairfield maybe 10 minutes further north of San Diego where hotel rates are much lower and parking is free, and then drive in to Balboa Park or SeaWorld or whatever else we're doing for fun in the area.

I've done the winery tour and the horseback riding excursions in Ensenada. The winery tour was fun, but keep in mind we didn't have kids with us. The horseback riding, not so much. The horses looked sad and spiritless. Not the proud thoroughbreds from the brochures.

As far as San Diego, if you have the budget for Disneyland use it on Sea World. It's fun and you can experience it while they still have a killer whale show. (RIP Shamu) It also king of goes with the cruising theme ( ocean beaches and what not)If Disneyland is a must, To avoid traffic,I'd leave at the crack of dawn and don"t head back until they close. Otherwise, the drive isn't worth it.(imo)

On the inexpensive end you can always hang out in the gas lamp district in San Diego, eating great Mexican food.
We wouldn't be driving back and forth between disney and san diego. We would drive from san diego and then stay in Anaheim for a day or two then head home from there, if we decide to go to disney. I don't have any interest in going to sea world at all, I think they suck IMO and I also kind of feel the same way about zoos but i haven't heard anything bad about the san diego zoo so thats why I'm considering it lol.

Take her to the zoo. There are lots of hills, but you can avoid those. There's a narrated bus tour that lasts about 45 minutes. You'll want to do that and then afterward, you can use the Kangaroo bus, which has several drop off and pick up locations. You can walk down to something and then bus back up in many cases. There are a couple moving sidewalks to take people back up from the canyons, too. Also, look into the behind the scenes tours. They give up close and personal tours to some of the animals and to me it well worth the price.

One thing to keep in mind is that the food at the zoo is generally terrible. They have one good restaurant, Alberts, which is pricey. I wouldn't plan for a delicious meal at the zoo. The snacks are okay, but they manage to destroy anything that is supposed to be food.

Thanks for the tip about the zoo. Our zoo is the same. Paid $10 for 3 chicken strips and a bottle of water :/
My family loves to use the ASTC Travel Passport program (http://www.astc.org/passport/). In Idaho, you could get a family membership to the Discovery Center of Idaho in Boise and thus get free admission into the Fleet Science Center and Natural History Museum, both of which are in Balboa Park right next to the San Diego Zoo. Great for young kids. And parking is free in Balboa Park.

Only a few blocks walk from the B Street Cruise Ship Terminal in San Diego (where the Disney Wonder docks) is San Diego's Waterfront Park. It's a fairly new playground that also has these cool big rectangular splash fountains the kids can play in. The water is only like 6 inches deep, so 1-year-olds and toddlers love to splash around, and grownups can just walk in with no shoes without requiring a full swimsuit. So if you need to kill some time between returning a rental car and waiting around close to the terminal waiting for your boarding time, that's a good option.

With regards to hotels in the area, there are many in the downtown and Gaslamp Quarter, but they tend to be expensive with high parking rates. Hotel Circle and Mission Valley also have many hotels but again charge $25 per parking. My family will often stay at a Hampton Inn or Fairfield maybe 10 minutes further north of San Diego where hotel rates are much lower and parking is free, and then drive in to Balboa Park or SeaWorld or whatever else we're doing for fun in the area.
Thanks for all that info! I didn't know about the discount through the discovery center I will have to check that out.

As for the 15 hour drive, good for you! I've been a kid and an adult on long car rides like that. The first thing I will say is, your attitude (and that of all the other adults in the car) is key. If you view it as an adventure, your child will probably enjoy car rides their whole life. If you (or others) view it as a hassle, then you will have a fussy, cranky 1 year old the whole trip. Of course there might be some crankiness anyway. So make sure you bring plenty of patience.

What time of day do you plan to go? For a 15 hour (ish) trip, you basically have three options (listed in order of how experienced you are with long car rides).

1) Leave in the morning, drive 8 hours, stop overnight somewhere. Do it again the second day.
2) Get up VERY early in the morning, and drive the whole way straight (stopping for food, of course, but not for sleep.)
3) Leave in the afternoon, drive all night long. (This way requires multiple experienced drivers.)

Now I can already hear some people saying 15 hours in a car with a 1 YO without stopping at a hotel is crazy, but hey, they probably think just driving that far with a 1 YO is crazy anyway. It's really more about how comfortable you are with long drives than your child. The first option breaks it up, and could feel less stressful. Or it could feel more drawn out. If you have the time, you could combine this with a day trip at the 8 hour location to extend your vacation in either direction. #2 gets the trip over in a single day, while still giving you daylight most of the way. It helps to have two drivers for this, but it is not needed. I used to do 14 hour drives from NJ to Indiana, 6 times a year for 7 years, and I could do it in one stretch by myself. It makes the 6-8 hour drives I do now with my wife and sons feel like nothing. It helped that I had been doing long car rides with my parents since I was 1 YO. #3 actually would be easiest from a driving perspective. Less traffic, less heat, less sunglare. This would actually be the easiest for your 1 YO too, since they will probably sleep most of the night. (my kids LOVED sleeping in the car, but YMMV). But you'd need at least two drivers, preferably ones that are good sleeping in the car. That is how my parents would do it. One would drive, one would sleep, then halfway through the night, they'd reverse it. When my sister and I were of driving age, we would do three shifts so one person would be awake with the driver. Theoretically, you can drive forever like this, with the three of you switching off regularly.

In the end, you'll have to do it the way that makes the most sense to you, but do try to view it as an adventure, not a chore. Have a great time!

I think my family enjoyed the Safari Park over the zoo. Look into the Go San Diego Card. You can save lots on your excursions there in San Diego and you can visit as many sights or attractions as time allows in however many days you choose to purchase.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter