Safest Orlando Areas for Longer Rentals

80sTerraceCafeFan

Mouseketeer
Hey All - Not sure if this is the appropriate forum - but since we're in work/school remote mode for the foreseeable future, I was thinking of taking the family down to Orlando for a month or two this winter (I am in the northeast)....I see some nice homes and villas online, but a bit concerned about safety. Does anyone know some safe/low crime/family friendly areas? What I know of Orlando proper comes from watching Moving to Orlando - Perhaps Champions Gate, Winter Park, Windermere?

Technically short term rentals (<7 months) are generally not allowed in Orange County except at a hotel. Not that there is a whole lot of enforcement of it from what I've seen.

Champions gate is a neat area, Windermere is extremely safe and close to all the theme parks, Winter Park is really nice but a bit farther away and the traffic getting to the theme park area can be bad at times.

Check out Clermont. Safe area, Lake County so there are no issues with short term rentals and pretty close to WDW.

Winter Garden is another close and very family friendly area. There's a great bike trail that runs through town if that's your thing.

Last edited:
Look at areas around Hwy 27 from I-4 to Hwy 192

Solana , Hampton Lakes, Highlands Reserve + others

I have no idea if these are expensive or reasonable... but MargaritavilleResortsOrlando are nearby and there is a Resort Hotel but also a community of Cottages recently built and they are available for short term rental. I don’t know if you want to be close to Disney property with your plans. I just don’t understand the joy of living in a strangers house in the middle of a subdivision or whatever.This property is close to AK area and walk to Target ,Publix across street, bike rentals, resort shuttle. They might even have transport to Universal. Lots of restaurants in the Sunset Walk area, etc. H2OLive WaterPark is within walking distance and remains open until Thanksgiving on weekends.
Let me know if you get a sample of pricing online cause I am curious about next holidays 2021 for family . Thanks & goodluck

Hey All - Not sure if this is the appropriate forum - but since we're in work/school remote mode for the foreseeable future, I was thinking of taking the family down to Orlando for a month or two this winter (I am in the northeast)....I see some nice homes and villas online, but a bit concerned about safety. Does anyone know some safe/low crime/family friendly areas? What I know of Orlando proper comes from watching Moving to Orlando - Perhaps Champions Gate, Winter Park, Windermere?
For the past few years I have rented a variety of lovely 3-5 bedroom homes with pools in residential neighborhoods ( vs. a "resort" or time share home that caters to vacationers) for a month to 6 weeks, usually in Davenport, off I-27. Many month long rentals will be cheaper than 2-3 weeks. Very safe area, good prices. Easy access to shopping, hiking, Disney parks. Homes that the owners vacation in, are maintained much better. I also prefer there be a local person to talk with if there are any issues. There are u-pick blueberry farms on I-27 before you get to Clermont.

For the past few years I have rented a variety of lovely 3-5 bedroom homes with pools in residential neighborhoods ( vs. a "resort" or time share home that caters to vacationers) for a month to 6 weeks, usually in Davenport, off I-27. Many month long rentals will be cheaper than 2-3 weeks. Very safe area, good prices. Easy access to shopping, hiking, Disney parks. Homes that the owners vacation in, are maintained much better. I also prefer there be a local person to talk with if there are any issues. There are u-pick blueberry farms on I-27 before you get to Clermont.
@GoldieK that sounds great. How do you find these rental houses? Do you use a particular website? Can you be a little more specific about what neighborhoods off of I-27 in Davenport you found to be safe and nice? Thanks in advance.

@GoldieK that sounds great. How do you find these rental houses? Do you use a particular website? Can you be a little more specific about what neighborhoods off of I-27 in Davenport you found to be safe and nice? Thanks in advance.
25 years ago we started renting condos at Royal Palm Bay by checking VRBO. When our trips became more frequent, we stayed with the same British owners many times. One visit, water issues meant the managing company had to move me to a rental house off Ronald Reagan in Sunridge. The cost for that house with its own pool was cheaper than the condo had been! I have only rented houses since then, at first through the managment company in Davenport I was familiar with; when their homes were not available, I went back to VRBO and was very happy with the first home I tried, off 27, British owners, residential neighborhood, Florida Pines; west side of 27, south of 192,and Publix, north of Ronald Reagan. I have also stayed in a neighborhood, west side of 27, off California. Because of an ailing spouse, then Covid, I have now not been in FL for more than a year. I can't speak to current availability, cleaning procedures or cost. I am guessing demand has plummeted and you may discover fantastic prices.

First I'd like to admit that I WISH I could do this!! It would be one of my many wishes. I think with the current pandemic, that this is ideal for many of us who love ORLANDO and the surrounding area. I think this is a FABULOUS idea.

Now...onto my "suggestions". I think since so many people on DIS has stayed at Windsor Hills, I highly recommend taking a look at Windsor Hills. There are many people here that can give you ideas, tips and advice. Since I have become a 2020 version of a couch potato(includes a laptop & cellphone now along with the remote and snacks), I have discovered many Orlando vacation places on YouTube. One place I have discovered is a newer resort home community called "Storey Lake". It looks like a nice, safe, family friendly community. I haven't come across many comments or reviews on it here on the DIS, but I am sure there are a few comments about it. It's still relatively new, but looks really nice. Another place I would consider would be the Encore Resorts at Reunion. They advertise for long term rentals and even offer a discount code to use for long stays. They also include free transportation to parks per the website. (www.encorereunion.com)

If I had to stay in one place and I were to rely on the info I received from DIS then more than likely I would choose Windsor Hills as there are MANY fellow DIS members who have stayed there. Regardless, I would start with Windsor Hills link(www.welcometowindsorhills.com), and VRBO just to see what options are out there. Good Luck and have a fabulous time!!!

ETA: links to windsor hills and encore at reunion

I have no idea if these are expensive or reasonable... but MargaritavilleResortsOrlando are nearby and there is a Resort Hotel but also a community of Cottages recently built and they are available for short term rental. I don’t know if you want to be close to Disney property with your plans. I just don’t understand the joy of living in a strangers house in the middle of a subdivision or whatever.This property is close to AK area and walk to Target ,Publix across street, bike rentals, resort shuttle. They might even have transport to Universal. Lots of restaurants in the Sunset Walk area, etc. H2OLive WaterPark is within walking distance and remains open until Thanksgiving on weekends.
Let me know if you get a sample of pricing online cause I am curious about next holidays 2021 for family . Thanks & goodluck

I've toured the Margaritaville Resort (The super cool cabana houses) They are very new and very very nice. Lots of amenities in the area as well. It's basically across the street from the 'secret' back entrance road to AK. There is still active construction in the resort so making sure you're not near it would be a good idea.

2 years ago we rented a townhome at Encantada Resort. It was a 3 bedroom, 3 bathroom. Very nice, quite, gated resort with full time residents also living there. Nice back way roads into the parks, if you choose to go.

The last few times we have also stayed at Melia in Celebration. Nice hotel with full family suites with kitchen. We stayed there this July for a family emergency and I have to say, they were very well prepared/staffed for Covid regulations...we felt very safe there. I noticed on this stay that some people must own some of the suites there...I just checked, and there are long term rentals available through sites such as VRBO.

If you’re only going to go to the parks maybe 1-2x and/or Disney Springs 1-2x, I’d suggest getting a rental at Anna Maria Island. Gulf beaches, safe, relaxing, family friendly...but, 2 hr drive to/from the Orlando area.
Good luck!

Wow - so much great advice, things to research and think about. In good hands with the Disboards! Thanks all!
I hope it works out for you!
we did something similar this June- although I was the only one needing to work (from home). Used some of our timeshare weeks from cancelled vacations to spend two weeks at a Marriott vacation club resort. Was nice to have resort amenities and the full kitchen and washer/dryer in the villa .

For places that do short term rentals, like Windsor Hills and the like, is there a time limit for how long they can rent at once? What exactly does "short term" mean? We've rented many, many times but never for more than 2 weeks.

For places that do short term rentals, like Windsor Hills and the like, is there a time limit for how long they can rent at once? What exactly does "short term" mean? We've rented many, many times but never for more than 2 weeks.

You would probably need to ask the specific place you're looking what the deal is. WDW is in two counties and basically borders two others and all four of them play by different rules. Fun fact: Disney's most affordable resort (All-Star) you pay more hotel tax since it's in Osceola and not Orange.

The opening paragraph is very casual and many responses seem to be pre-corona. I am concerned about family really thinking options thru.
My first thought is ages of children, and cleanliness standards in response to health&safety. Have amenities for resort community been shuttered or open hours reduced? My community in nearby Disneyhas pool area open only M-F for a few hours in afternoon, if somebody is in office to open padlocked gate... thanks to corona. I would also want to know about lifeguards at the pool. Nearby restaurants, grocery. Cable TV WiFi access, response to problems that might occur with home, etc.
I know the thought of getting out of Winter to visit Florida in the past has been much easier to plan . Are you comfortable providing general age group of children and family ideas for fun while you are working thru the week perhaps? Will your plans include a specific holiday like Thanksgiving or New Years? Also worry about understanding timeshare or resort cancel policies? Not everybody is as generous as Disney.

I don't mind sharing - I have 2 daughters, 10 and 14. Should there be a spike up here b/c people are hanging out indoors again in the winter, the thought of essentially being in our homes from Nov-March is a tough pill to swallow. Now 'in summer', the girls are able to be outdoors, swimming, biking, sports, etc. Restaurants and cafes have distanced outdoor seating, etc....these options fade away this winter.

I don't have specific activities in mind, but just being able to walk, bike, hang out outside (safely) for a month or 6 weeks would really break up the winter. Obviously a residence with a private pool or hot tub would give the kids one easy/safe option at their disposal. We would try to visit the parks a few times (depending on crowds) and I'd make resort meal reservations so we could explore the hotels and just be on property. I am not super concerned with a community pool b/c we may not use it anyways due to covid. I would likely use things like tennis courts, bike rentals, if available.

I also have a Poly stay scheduled for April that was pushed back from last year with my tickets/parks all selected, so I don't need to go crazy with park time given the cost.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter