Votes: 49 54.4%
  • Pool at my kid(s) high school

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • No Pool at my kid(s) high school

Votes: 33 36.7%
  • Other (just because)

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
My high school did not have a pool nor did the one my daughter went too (not does the other HS in town). The swim teams used the public pools.

No water polo teams.

No pool at mine or my kids'. My mom's had a pool, but the town is on the shores of Lake Michigan.

I doubt anyone around here would have any clue how to play water polo.

I doubt anyone around here would know how to row a boat. They can paddle a canoe with the best of them, though.

If they ever brought back rifle teams (not going to happen in any public school in the US ever again), the local high school here would dominate. People around here start deer hunting as soon as they're old enough to walk, it seems.

When I was in school, we had a pool in the junior high. The high school did not.
My kids did not have pools in any of their schools.

We just use the local community pool. My dd will attend the same secondary school I did. DH's secondary school had a pool right next door, the local university bought out the private recreation facility next to his school as the university was across the street. My school had the standard gym, and soccer/ track field, plus tennis courts and an indoor rock climbing wall. The school has since expanded the rock climbing facility and now have a second wall that is indoor/outdoor.

No and no. I have only seen pools in schools in movies and on TV.

Same here. Swim teams and water sports just aren't a thing here. You're more likely to get a school with an arena for a hockey team.

Both the Jr. HS and the HS that I went to had indoor pools. I was on swim team but we didn't have a waterpolo team, just swim and diving.

It is so strange to me to hear that so many high schools don't have pools! Mine as well as all others around me have pools. My high school actually had an old abandoned one in the basement we took tours of, and then the new one that was used upstairs. It actually broke the winter of my senior year and flooded part of the first floor haha.

I was SO thankful ours did not have a pool- who wants to get wet and then have to continue with classes the rest of the day- no way did I want to have to change into a bathing suit and/or shower in school-yuk! I asked my daughter if she would have liked a pool in school and she had a horrified look on her face LOL- she was like "it takes me over 30 minutes in the morning to put on all my makeup, do you think I want it all washed off in a pool, and all the time I take doing my hair in the morning to get it wet at school- no way" LOL-

My school had a pool. We had a swimming and diving team. My children's school doesn't. Swimmers swim with a neighboring school.

Our district has an Aquatics Center located (oddly enough) at one of the middle schools (probably just because it was the only place with space at the time it was approved). All 3 high schools in our district use it. The kids all had swimming units in gym class when they went there in middle school. The boys loved it, our daughter hated it as most girls did (because of hair issues among other things).

My high school (which is 7-12 here, although mine also had a junior school and early learning centre) did have a pool with a 25m pool, a dive pool and a kiddie pool. From year 7 to 10 we had 1 period of swimming each cycle (our school had a 7 school day cycle). The pool was also used for external lessons outside of school hours.

There were swimming and diving teams that competed at only one inter school carnival and a waterpolo team that competed once a week in 1 term (and you didn't have to be any good to join - I know because I did one year!). Then there were swimming, diving and synchronised swimming squads that were also open to people who weren't students (e.g. kids taking evening classes at the pool).

However for our big house swimming championships (which everyone competed at) we went to the Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre which is massive and hosted the swimming at the 2006 Commonwealth Games and 2007 World Championships.

My high school had a pool but what freaks most people out: We were required to swim naked. This was early 70s and I have no clue why that was the case. Seems like it might have had something to do with storing wet swim trunks...but then the girls didn't have to swim naked, just the guys. So what did the girls do with their wet swimsuits?:scratchin When I talked to some people who went to the same school a couple of years after me I ask and they say they wore suits, so it must have changed shortly after I graduated.

Our schools had a deal with the college in which we used their pool frequently. Not for competitions, tho.

My high school had a pool but what freaks most people out: We were required to swim naked. This was early 70s and I have no clue why that was the case. Seems like it might have had something to do with storing wet swim trunks...but then the girls didn't have to swim naked, just the guys. So what did the girls do with their wet swimsuits?:scratchin When I talked to some people who went to the same school a couple of years after me I ask and they say they wore suits, so it must have changed shortly after I graduated.
That was pretty common as far back as the 50s, at least, in schools, the Y, and elsewhere. And if you had questioned it back then, people would have looked at you weirdly, because why would they waste time and money on swimsuits for boys, not to mention mildew in their lockers. It was expected that many of the would someday be in the military, where they'd have to be used to being exposed around other guys.

It was so normal back then that I remember it used as a joke in The Lucy Show, where Mr. Mooney was taking the scouts, including her son, on a camping trip, and when told there will be swimming, she said that's ok, she'll pack a suit, to which Mr. Mooney replied "We don't wear suits".

If they ever brought back rifle teams (not going to happen in any public school in the US ever again), the local high school here would dominate. People around here start deer hunting as soon as they're old enough to walk, it seems.

While the number is relatively small, there are in fact, still some high school rifle teams in New York. My neighbor is a coach at the school where he teaches. The state championship is held at West Point. (And hunting is definitely not popular in this area, though it is in other parts of the state.) I would guess there must be other states with teams as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter