RV Pet Safety Question

gtg826q

Earning My Ears
Hello everyone. I have a question for those experienced with RVs and especially those with dogs. We have a trip scheduled in September and I will be bringing my dog. We are staying in an RV and brand new to camping. I have a temperature monitor which will alert me if the power goes out and the temperature starts to rise. My question is how fast would the temperature rise in an RV? Would I have enough time to rush back to the site from one of the parks? We won’t be gone more than about 4 hours at a time and not in the heat of the day. Only in the mornings and at night. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have been bringing our dog for almost 20 years (not the same dog) and have never had a problem. We always left a section with ventilation open to the dog in case the A/C went out. RVs are all different with insulation but if you have a temp sensor you will be able to get back before the heat builds up too much. Leave a phone number for emergency people and hide a key so you can direct someone to the dog.

Disney recommends that you plan for 90 minutes to get from one place on property to another. We have by and large found that time frame to be a tad excessive with travel times a bit less but spot on a few times. If I was away and had a monitor and got notified that there was a problem and my GIRLS might be in danger I would forgo the bus and pay for a cab. Just my opinion

Even in Summer time heat, your RV, unless it is a popup or hybrid with canvas ends, should stay cool enough for you to get back. It shouldn't take longer than 60-90 minutes to get back from nearly anywhere on property.

j

The RV is a travel trailer with hard walls. It’s not a popup or hybrid. I’ve also thought of the need to forego the bus in an emergency. I’ve researched the new Minnie Van service and we will also have our car. We’re definitely driving our car on one of our park days when we’re furthest away. Thank you for all the replies. This helps put my mind at ease.

@gtg826q can you tell me more about your temperature monitor? On my last camping trip the guy on the site next to me who I shared a pole with tripped the circuit breaker. Luckily I was only at the shower house so my dog was fine. This may give me a little more piece of mind for my upcoming Fort trip.

We bought a canary. It is a security camera, but the reason we bought it - it will let us know the temp. in the camper. It has notified us once while away that the temp. was rising. We hurried home & lower the AC. Bought our Canary at Best Buy.

interested in the canary, we bought a security system last year, but it needs to be connected to our modem, so its useless in the RV. how does the canary connect to your phone? any other hardware needed? thanks in advance

The one I have is the Marcell MAR-500. It’s cellular based and has a backup battery. It sends alerts to my phone if the temperature goes above the level I choose or if the power goes out. I just pay for the service during the months when I need it.

We bought a canary. It is a security camera, but the reason we bought it - it will let us know the temp. in the camper. It has notified us once while away that the temp. was rising. We hurried home & lower the AC. Bought our Canary at Best Buy.

Are you able to use it in your rv? We just got a tt and didn’t even think about the power going out while we were in the parks. So now we’re looking into the canary since there isn’t a subscription fee. We’re going to rent the modem to get WiFi, is that all we need? Thanks!

We are also interested in monitoring the heat in our RV when away from it bc of our pet, though we rarely go over 4 hours it still is worrisome. We did look up the Marcell MAR-500 as we want to hook up to phone through WIFI and that looked good but also came across one called Temp Stick that got good reviews on Amazon and was less money. Anyone have any experience with Temp Stick? Thanks. I wonder if there is a site that rates them?

We will be renting an RV for set up at the fort for March. We are bringing our pup and want to get a camera to monitor him while we're out. Do you think a temperature sensor is really needed at that time of year? The weather is usually pretty nice and not hot at all. Of course, we will not be away for more than 3 or 4 hours.

We reserved a preferred loop. Is there any issue with getting wifi in the RV?

We will be renting an RV for set up at the fort for March. We are bringing our pup and want to get a camera to monitor him while we're out. Do you think a temperature sensor is really needed at that time of year? The weather is usually pretty nice and not hot at all. Of course, we will not be away for more than 3 or 4 hours.

We have found that the temperatures in Florida are completely unpredictable. We usually visit WDW in March; it can get really uncomfortably warm, or be quite cool. Your actual site location will have alot to do with comfort - some face right into direct sunlight, others are in shade most of the day. That being said, our RV is very well-insulated and maintains interior temperature for extended time periods. We have not thought about getting a sensor becuase we are not away for hours on end, but am now thinking it may be something to consider in the future.

To the OP - if you really want to expedite a return to your site, in addition to the Minnie Vans, there are numerous taxis (Mears) available right near the buses.

Every time we have gone in March it was pretty hot. I would definitely get one with a temp sensor if you are going to monitor the dog anyway.

The Marcell unit does not require a Cell phone to work, it is, in many ways, its own Cell phone or at least uses a Cell signal. As I recall it can work on the Verizon Network or A T & T. I had a a different set up prior to the Marcell but the Phone Link I was using went haywire. The Marcell is very easy to set up and use.

As far as power/ air conditioning going out, I always leave a window cracked a bit and the 12 volt Fan to come on at a higher Temp to pull air in if the 120 volt power goes out thus giving a bit more time to rush back to the RV in case of Alarm.

This is a great thread....nice to see so many campers thinking of their furry friends and making sure they are safe and comfortable while on vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter