Runaway Bay @ Calypso Cay

KeaKo

Earning My Ears
Hello All - I stayed at Runaway Bay at Calypso Cay approximately 4 years ago and was very disappointed. I toured the Calypso Cay villas and they were amazing. Recently a friend has invited me to stay at the Runaway Villas and she claims that they have done a major revamping of their suites. The rooms now closely resemble those of Calypso Cay (bright, Floridian decor), Flat Panel TV's and Computers in the Rooms. Is anyone aware of these changes? Does anyone have any pics they can post of this remodeling?

Anything you guys can do to help would be appreciated. I need to make a decision today. Thanks!

Hi - I still haven't been able to find any information or images of the new villa interiors. Has anyone else?

we are vacationing there in April. We have a 4 night stay in their 2 bedroom @ Runaway Bay with the timeshare tour and 2 1park passes.

We stayed at the regular villas in 2004 and walked over to the Runaway Bay area one night. At that time, those were just regular apartments, but I really think I was told that they renovated some of them to make them like the villas, and I think they plan on selling them as such.

This url : http://www.calypsocay.com/webcam.php is the resort's webcam. The buildings you see right behind the pool are the Runaway Bay ones. They have their own pool behind them, but anybody staying there can use any of the other pools and amenities.

Hope that is helpful - we will do a trip report after this to tell everybody what things were like (with photos) and how the 90 minute 'presentation' went.

Have a Disney Day!

thanks for your post! Can't wait for the pics. Please make sure to get plenty of the inside of the villas.

We are back from our trip @ the Runaway Bay Villas at Calypso Cay.

I do have to say I'm not visiting there again. The rooms are clean and nice, but VERY noisy - the floors have almost no sound insulation - the people walking above you sound like elephants walking!

Our villa had a lampost right outside of the master bedroom window, making the room somewhat bright at night. From what I could see, no other villas had this problem.

The outside noise was easily heard through the walls and windows.

The main pool with the slide is a very chaotic place, as it is used by villa owners, guest, and hotel occupants from the Amersuites and Country Inn hotel. It's not bad during the day, but a mad house at night! There is no supervision at the pool, and we saw many many teenagers doing jumps OFF of the slide - could have easily injured themselves or somebody else.

There are 2 other smaller pools, but they are cold.

We had to do a 90 minute timeshare presentation for our 4 night package, but that was the easiest part. Once we told our salesperson that we were there through an owner referral, had stayed there 2 years ago and that my parents and father in law have a timeshare - he asked me if we had any intention of buying a timeshare if cost was very attractive, we said absolutely not and told us just to wait there 1/2 hour and we would be done. He held to that and we were out with our 2 tix in 1/2 hour. not bad at all - not all were that lucky though, from what I can see.

He did tell us that the lazy river/villa-owners only pool that should have been there 1 year ago is just starting construction (I saw that) and many owners arent happy about it - I can see why.

Again, a clean place, but not well managed and unsupervised.

It's worth a 4 night stay if you already have reservations - just make sure that at Runaway Bay, you don't get the first building on the left, closest to the gate - that's where we were - 2nd floor.

Here is a link to some inside shots : http://web.mac.com/ken_kleiner/iWeb/Site 2/Runaway Bay.html

Our stay at Silver Lake Resort was much better - so close to WDW.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Thank you for your very informative post. I will spend most of my day out of the resort and really appreciate a nice, clean room. I do have to say that from your pics the rooms are beautiful. I heard they have LCD screens in the livingroom and computers w/internet service as well. Is this true? If so, how large are the LCD Screens.. do they have a DVD hook up? are they mounted on the wall?

Hi...yes, the rooms are clean - that was nice.

There aren't LCD TVs in the units - just standard tube TVs. There are probably those in the regular Calypso Cay villas, but not in Runaway Bay.
3 tvs - 1 in living room, 1 in master, and 1 in the guest bedroom.
TVs are in an armoire type unit in the living room and master, and on a bureau in the guest room.

There is a VCR in the living room, but no DVD player - I guess you could hook one up to the TV if you brought one.

There is a PC in the living room with internet, but it's a 'windows terminal server' system - i.e. not one you can install software on or download to.
Ours wasn't working - we didn't bother to call about it.

I would suggest getting a top floor room to ward off the noise from the other floors and outside.

Do make sure you are getting a Runaway Villa - not one of the hotels - we met somebody there who had to stay 1 mile away in a La Quinta!

Glad I can be helpful - send more questions if you have them!

since the hotels in this complex are pet friendly - are the timeshares going to be????

I know they are not now....but I kept hopping.... :thumbsup2

I like that area - it is close to SW and WDW - plus a Walmart....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter