Run Hard, Stop for Pictures, Eat Everything: A 2016 Wine & Dine Race Weekend Trip Report - COMPLETE

Day 3 – Sunday, November 6 – Wine & Dine Half Marathon

With my 6:30 pm bedtime, I managed a glorious 8.5 hours of sleep. Daylight savings time ended overnight, which gave an extra hour of sleep! I woke up about 2 am (the second 2 am) and rested/dozed a little more until my alarm went off at 3. I got myself prepped, ate the banana I had saved from the 10K the day before and headed out to the bus at about 3:40.

1.jpg

I boarded the bus right away. We stopped at a few of the Riverside stops until the standing room on the bus was filled (hopefully they were sending more buses to Riverside as we didn’t complete the loop). We arrived at Wide World of Sports a few minutes after 4. I dropped my bag off at bag check and made a porta-potty stop right by bag check (lines weren’t bad at all). I learned my lesson from the day before and didn’t bother to try to get in line for the characters, as the lines were again huge. Somewhere around this time, there was apparently a power outage at the stage area so there was no music or lights. I wandered into the runners-only area, where I used the porta-potty again since I didn’t have anything else to do. It was not quite time but I decided to start wandering towards to corrals. Although the other corrals were open, they weren’t letting anyone into my corral (Corral C). They were filming something in the corral with a few people and a camera crew, but I wasn’t close enough to tell what it was. It started to get a little bit annoying as more and more people were arriving at the corral and a long line was starting to form. Finally they finished up with the filming and let us in.

2.jpg

The first few corrals are pretty small so corral C was quite close to the start line. The announcer mentioned that Jenny Simpson (who won a bronze in the 1500m at the Olympics this summer) was there to run the half, which I thought was pretty neat. She was using it as a training run, so was “only” planning to run 6:10-6:20 min/miles!! :eek:

Just before the race, a Disney singer sang the National Anthem, accompanied by fireworks.

3.jpg

At 5:30, Mickey and Minnie helped kick the race off for Corral A.

4.jpg

There was a three-minute delay between Corrals A and B and another three minutes between B and C. As each corral in front of us left, we crept closer to the start line.

5.jpg

The announcers chatted a bit with each corral. In our corral were the Galloway 2:00 pacers. They use a run-walk method to complete the course. This pace group was going to run for 2 minutes and then walk 30 seconds. The announcer asked our corral how many people were planning to finish with a “1” in front of their time, that is, under 2 hours. I laughed, as I definitely did not have that planned for my race. Once again, I was planning to stop for all the character pictures unless I didn’t know who they were or I had stopped for them the day before. After our 6-minute wait was up, Corral C started the race.

6.jpg

Right after the starting line, there was music playing, and it just happened to be “I’ll Make a Man Out of You” from Mulan. That made me really happy because it’s one of the few Disney songs on my running mix, so I listen to it all the time. :cool1:

The first few hundred feet of the course were littered with debris from all the fireworks they had been setting off. That’s something that I’ve never noticed at a Disney race before. I was running at moderate pace. The Galloway pacers were running faster than I was but each time they stopped for their walk break, I would catch up or get close. After about 2/3 or ¾ of a mile, we took a left turn and I saw the first character stop. I laughed and almost passed them up. But there was no line and technically they didn’t meet one of my exemptions, so I decided to stop.

7.jpg

It was the Country Bears! It is sort of a running joke in my family that the Country Bears have always freaked me out. I refuse to go see their show. But I was brave enough to stop for a picture (although apparently not brave enough to look at the camera). :rotfl2:

Shortly after the Bears, I passed the Mile 1 marker.

8.jpg

Mile 2 was a straight stretch of dark highway with no character stops (although I believe there were some music/dancers as entertainment on this stretch), so I ended up running it at a pretty fast pace.

9.jpg

The same was true for Mile 3, so that was another fast mile.

10.jpg

I was getting bored of straight, dark highway at that point, so I was glad to see Animal Kingdom off in the distance! :simba:

Last edited:
Hi Cherie! Joining in and enjoying your report so far. I really like your purple and pink outfit for the half- haha, just really like the color combo together! Can't wait to hear more!

Yay! Half-marathon time. Great night of sleep before the race. I always struggle getting to sleep before the races.

We bypassed the country bears when we ran W&D last year because we were being cranky about the shortened race and I've been irritated with myself about that ever since. Especially because as you noted, it's a bit boring for awhile after that.

I heard about the power outage, how strange. Every year something goes wrong at this race weekend. Thankfully for you runners it wasn't rain or a shorter course this time.

Love the country bears! I need a Big Al stop on the course and my life would be complete.

Can't wait to hear about the rest!

Day 3 – Sunday, November 6 – Wine & Dine Half Marathon, Continued

The 5K mark of the half marathon came as we were heading to wind around the Animal Kingdom parking lot. An enthusiastic high school marching band was in the parking lot adding some much needed pep. Darkness was also starting to fade just a little bit as we were getting closer to sunrise.

Rafiki was waiting at the front gates to welcome us to Animal Kingdom.

11.jpg

Early on in Animal Kingdom, the 2:00 pace group passed by, and I lost sight of them as I stopped to enjoy my park time. Baloo was along the path on the way to Discovery Island.

12.jpg

They had the Awakenings going on the Tree of Life. This was my first time seeing it, and the small bit I saw looked super cool. The pictures definitely don’t do it justice. I’m looking forward to getting some evening time in Animal Kingdom on my next trip and checking out the full show.

13.jpg

Mile Marker 4 was just past the Tree of Life photo op.

15.jpg

The course ran along the left side of Discovery Island and across the bridge towards Africa. Timon was waiting at the edge of Africa just before the course took a sharp right.

16.jpg

We ran along the path between Africa and Asia, crossed the bridge back to Discovery Island, ran along the side of Discovery Island towards DinoLand, then went past Nemo, in front of Everest, and through Asia. There were tons of PhotoPass photographers throughout Animal Kingdom capturing the action. I tried to learn my lesson from the 10K and just smile for the cameras if I saw them but not do anything goofy with my arms.

18.jpg

19.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

We headed backstage behind Asia on our way out of the park. A couple of the stilt guys from Festival of the Lion King were hanging out backstage.

23.jpg

Animal Kingdom was a blast to run through! Sadly, it was 7+ miles before more park time.

Last edited:
Hi Cherie! Joining in and enjoying your report so far. I really like your purple and pink outfit for the half- haha, just really like the color combo together! Can't wait to hear more!

Welcome and thanks! The shorts had a tiny bit of purple in them, so I decided I could pull off the combo. :D

Yay! Half-marathon time. Great night of sleep before the race. I always struggle getting to sleep before the races.

We bypassed the country bears when we ran W&D last year because we were being cranky about the shortened race and I've been irritated with myself about that ever since. Especially because as you noted, it's a bit boring for awhile after that.

The one advantage to being sick was being super exhausted at the end of the day. I fell asleep so ridiculously fast that night.

I would have been cranky about the short race, too, so I definitely understand. I was very thankful for the decent weather this year. Part of the reason I made my "rules" about what pictures to take is that I didn't want to get caught up in the "race" and then regret not stopping afterwards.

I heard about the power outage, how strange. Every year something goes wrong at this race weekend. Thankfully for you runners it wasn't rain or a shorter course this time.

Love the country bears! I need a Big Al stop on the course and my life would be complete.

Can't wait to hear about the rest!

The power outage was definitely a small blip compared to the weather issues the runners had the last couple of years. I'd take that any day!!

Love the character pictures! AK seems like a fun park to run through, I can't wait to run through it during the marathon. That does suck that it is the last park time you had for 7 miles.

The Mile 5 marker was in the Animal Kingdom backstage area.

24.jpg

It was about this time when I realized that I was almost exactly on pace for a 2:00 half marathon. That hadn’t been my plan at all. I had originally been thinking that 2:15 or so might be a best-case scenario, but I wasn’t really focused on a time goal with the unknown factor of character pictures. So far, the lines for characters had been either minimal (one or two people) or totally non-existent. Now that the 2:00 mark was dangling in front of me, I sort of wanted it (my competitive self rearing its ugly head), but I told myself that I wasn’t allowed to skip characters to achieve it. I could race the clock at home but there weren’t character stops at my hometown races!

Speaking of characters, there were a couple more character stops on the road out of Animal Kingdom. First, Meeko!

25.jpg

A few minutes later were Chip and Dale. I stopped for them at the 10K the day before, but they were wearing totally different (and cute) outfits today, so another stop was necessary. I love the sunrise in the background of this picture! I don’t love how shiny and sweaty I am. :crazy2:

26.jpg

The Mile 6 marker was around the start of a short out-and-back section, so we could see the runners ahead of us coming back along the other side of the road. Somewhere in this section I spotted the 2:00 pacer again coming back on the other side ahead of me. I hadn’t seen them for a couple of miles.

27.jpg

The next couple of miles were along Bear Island Road. I had been dreading this section based on the course map because it was a whole long stretch between parks, but I actually ended up liking this section of road. It was calm, quiet, and woods-y, which was much nicer than highway. The Mile 7 marker was about halfway down this stretch of road. There weren’t any characters on this mile, so it was a quick one.

28.jpg

Next, it was another character stop, the only one on this stretch of road (although there was a little bit of other "entertainment" - the "lost tourists" and such). Mike and Sully!

29.jpg

The Mile 8 marker was shortly before we turned off of Bear Island Road and back towards highway.

30.jpg

Near the Car Care Center was a super exciting character stop – Darkwing Duck and Launchpad McQuack! I had definitely never met either one of them before! This was the longest character line I waited in on the entire course and even this one was only 5 or 6 people deep. Character lines were definitely working in my favor this day!

31.jpg

The Mile 9 marker was about the point that we merged onto World Drive for the trip back towards Epcot. It was somewhere around here that I caught back up with the 2:00 pacer (who appeared to have lost one of their pacers as well as most of the pace group) and passed them by. I was feeling pretty strong and fairly confident at this point that I could finish in under 2 hours unless character lines suddenly got crazy, which seemed pretty unlikely.

32.jpg

Lilo and Stitch were set up along World Drive. I love their background props!

33.jpg

Unlike Bear Island Road, which, although not the most exciting, at least had a peaceful charm, I wasn’t a fan of the super boring highway-ness of World Drive.

Love the character pictures! AK seems like a fun park to run through, I can't wait to run through it during the marathon. That does suck that it is the last park time you had for 7 miles.

AK was definitely the highlight of the race for me. You'll have a blast during the marathon! Are you planning on stopping to ride Everest? I think I'd be so torn - it's my favorite ride, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to start running again afterwards.

You really must have been running right around my husband again! He wasn't running with the 2 hour pace group but he said he was playing leap frog with them for about half of the race.

I just checked for you in his photo pass photos though and didn't see you.

Looks like you had a very strong race! Awesome job!

I love running in AK too, you got some great pics. It's funny cause for the Holiday 5k Rafiki & Baloo were in the same spots as the half, but with just a bit of Christmas decor on them.
I had to stop for Chip & Dale (even though I did in the 10k too) because I had never seen the western outfits and then sunrise made it even better too as an added bonus! I'm jealous of your over 8 hours sleep too, I maybe got 5.5, I just can't fall asleep early. I was in D and saw no pace groups at all, not sure if there was one in my corral or not, funny that when you saw them again they were broken up. Great race so far too, amazing running with all those stops!!!

AK was definitely the highlight of the race for me. You'll have a blast during the marathon! Are you planning on stopping to ride Everest? I think I'd be so torn - it's my favorite ride, but I'm not sure that I'd be able to start running again afterwards.
Yeah I'm so torn to. It's my first marathon and I'm not sure if I'll be able to stop and go again like that so maybe I'll save it for a future marathon.

Wow character stops and you're still going for a 2hr half!

I heard the wait was quite long for darkwing duck and launchpad. That's awesome that you got through that one pretty quick.

Can't wait to hear about the finish!

So many fantastic character pics and you are crushing your time even with all those stops. I'm so jealous of the Darkwing Duck set up. Fantastic!!

You really must have been running right around my husband again! He wasn't running with the 2 hour pace group but he said he was playing leap frog with them for about half of the race.

I just checked for you in his photo pass photos though and didn't see you.

Looks like you had a very strong race! Awesome job!

That's so funny! There were definitely various people I kept seeing over and over again. Maybe your husband was one of them!

Woohoo! Sub 2 with character stops?! Hope you made it/can't wait to hear!

Thanks! Finishing up soon!

I love running in AK too, you got some great pics. It's funny cause for the Holiday 5k Rafiki & Baloo were in the same spots as the half, but with just a bit of Christmas decor on them.
I had to stop for Chip & Dale (even though I did in the 10k too) because I had never seen the western outfits and then sunrise made it even better too as an added bonus! I'm jealous of your over 8 hours sleep too, I maybe got 5.5, I just can't fall asleep early. I was in D and saw no pace groups at all, not sure if there was one in my corral or not, funny that when you saw them again they were broken up. Great race so far too, amazing running with all those stops!!!

I would have loved the characters with their Christmas decor! Your sunrise Chip & Dale avatar photo looks awesome! I don't think I would have fallen asleep so easily if I hadn't been sick. Mixed blessing?

It's interesting with the Galloway pacers. I have to image that they aren't super popular on the faster range of times. They had a few people with them at the start but it seemed like not too many stuck around. Run/walk would be a big change if that wasn't how you trained. I think there might have been a pace group for 1:45 as well in the corral ahead of me. Curious if anyone ran with them.

Yeah I'm so torn to. It's my first marathon and I'm not sure if I'll be able to stop and go again like that so maybe I'll save it for a future marathon.

Wow character stops and you're still going for a 2hr half!

I heard the wait was quite long for darkwing duck and launchpad. That's awesome that you got through that one pretty quick.

Can't wait to hear about the finish!

I think saving the roller coaster for another time is the smart (if maybe less fun) thing to do.

It was interesting how few people in A-C seemed to be stopping for pictures. Definitely worked to my advantage big time!

So many fantastic character pics and you are crushing your time even with all those stops. I'm so jealous of the Darkwing Duck set up. Fantastic!!

I thought the characters were great on the course. So much fun!

Congratulations on your run! Well done! Also, you got some great pictures with the characters :).

Thank you!!

Great time...but even better are all the great pictures and character stops. BRAVO

Thanks!!

A little ways down World Drive from Lilo and Stitch was the Mile 10 marker. The Epcot resort area was on the horizon.

34.jpg

After Mile 10, we did an on-ramp loop onto Epcot Center Drive. Sarge was on one of these on-ramp “hills” in this area, although I don’t remember exactly which one. A few people were stopping to do push-ups (I heard Sarge order someone to do one push-up, which I thought was kind of funny), but I wasn’t about to attempt that.

These last couple miles before Epcot had what probably weren’t really that big of hills, but at the end of a half marathon, they felt like a lot. The Mile 11 marker was on one of these climbs.

35.jpg

I just noticed that something must be off with the Mile 11 timer clock. There is no way that I ran that mile in less than 7.5 minutes. I don’t run that fast in a 5K, much less at the end of a half marathon.

Anyway, the last big climb of the race was between Miles 11 and 12. At about the top of the last hill, there was a guy who had already finished the race (!!), wearing his medal and cheering folks on. That gave me a nice boost for the final climb. With the sun rising higher, I was starting to feel a bit hot. It was mid-60s for the entire race, which isn’t terrible, but is about 15 degrees warmer than what I would consider my ideal.

We turned off Epcot Center Drive and into the Epcot parking lot, where we passed the Mile 12 marker.

36.jpg

I was trying to do math (which isn’t easy this late in the race). My start time was 6 minutes after the time on the clock, so I had 13+ minutes to finish the last 1.1 miles. I was feeling really great about going under 2 hours and was getting really excited about the prospect of finishing in maybe 1:58 or so!

In the backstage area of Epcot, Horace and Clarabelle were waiting. I only sort-of know who they are, but there was nobody in line, so I had to stop for a picture.

37.jpg

The course ran down the center of Future World on the west side. There was a PhotoPass photographer taking SSE shots in the center. Since I hadn’t seen my picture from this spot at the 10K show up, I definitely wanted to stop. I look about as giddy as I felt at that moment. I was pumped about the race!

38.jpg

Phineas and Ferb were directly across the race course from this picture, so it was sort of an either/or choice. I didn’t want to play frogger in front of other runners so they were the first character stop that I skipped.

The course ran down to the head of World Showcase, where it made a tight turn to run back along the center of Future World on the east side. Vacation Genie was at the turnaround point, but as I had met him the day before in the same outfit, I skipped him as well.

There were a bunch of PhotoPass photographers along this last section of the course. I got a bunch of great shots of me looking far happier than I ever have or probably ever will in the last mile of a half marathon.

39.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

The course went out past the front of Spaceship Earth as we headed towards home.

44.jpg

45.jpg

Day 3 – Sunday, November 6 – Wine & Dine Half Marathon, Continued - The Finish

The Mile 13 marker was backstage as we left Epcot to head towards the parking lot finish line.

46.jpg

I dug deep and tried to smile for the cameras as I sprinted for the finish line.

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

I avoided the awkward arm raise shots until the final feet crossing the line. Everyone around me was raising his or her arms for the finish, so I felt compelled to as well.

50.jpg

51.jpg

I think it’s funny that I look like I’m crossing the finish all by myself because I definitely was not. Good camera work! :D I crossed the line with an official time of 1:55:39! I was beyond excited with my time. :banana:I definitely worked harder in the 6 months leading up to this race (while training for my September half) than at any other point in the 6 years I’ve been running, and it paid off big time. I felt really strong the whole race and just had so much fun doing it.

I was flying high as I collected my medal for the half marathon and then walked through the tent to have my picture verified to receive my challenge medal. I picked up my snack box and drinks and stopped for my official finisher photo looking like a sweaty, happy mess.

52.jpg

I made a quick stop through the gear check tent to grab my bag and then headed straight to Lumiere. His line was still quite short, and I only waited about 5 minutes to get the shot I’d been waiting for all weekend. While I was waiting in line, the DJ played the best remix I have ever heard. It was the Main Street Electric Parade and it was fantastic.:dance3:

53.jpg

Lumiere accomplished, I hopped into the line for Goofy and Donald to finish out all the finish area photos. The line wasn’t that long, but for some reason it moved really slowly. It took about 15 minutes for me to get to the front, but when I did, I was rewarded by a big hug from Goofy!

54.jpg

Photos done, I headed to the buses. The Port Orleans bus came quickly and was on the road after a few minutes. I was back in my room by 8:20 am, ready for a shower and a nap before heading to Epcot for the Food & Wine Festival.

Woohoo! Congrats on hitting your time goal- that's awesome! Your finish line picture looks great. Like you said, it looks like you're totally alone!

Those short character lines are a great perk of being so speedy :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter