Rumored Changes to G+

This this this sooo much.

It's exhausting how impossible it seems for some folks to be excited for Universal without throwing shade and hate at Disney at the same time. It's not a competition, it's not a pageant and the only winners are guests because we get more awesome parks.

Except me I guess because the constant shade and hate makes Universal fans seem insufferable. Just be happy and enjoy, I promise it's a lot more fun.
It actually is a competition to be honest. Disney has had a monopoly on Orlando for years and now they have a formidable competitor. My thought process is that it will def make Disney better b the dollars at stake are very high and they want to keep their market share.

Also Disney has had some really, really bad press in the last 4-5 years for their woke political agenda, hiring and then firing of their CEO (behind his back in an unprecedented move), terrible performance at the box office (starting with strange world), failure of Disney+ streaming to capture mkt share, fights w the state/governor, delayed construction projects, rising prices, guest satisfaction numbers decreasing, cutting of perks (magical express, free fastpass, free magic bands, paid parking, reduced hours, etc) and they could use a boost.

I understand the frustration of people but I also get that these things come in waves and Disney will be ready to “strike” with some exciting news in the coming years after Epic opens with AK new lands, MK added attractions and enhancements to HS. To try and fight them “tit for tat” when they are opening their biggest expansion since they’ve opened doesn’t make sense b they can’t win that battle.

Final thought: No matter what universal does, I will always be a Disney person over universal. It’s just not the same.

Last edited:

I agree, it's like iPhone vs. Android for me. And I'll never switch to Android.

To get back on topic: I have never had a problem with Genie+. However, I would love the ability to book some LL in advance.
I would too. But not at the expense of tiers and having to use all advanced bookings before booking another ride. It would ruin genie+. I think the 7am and ILLs should be allowed to book in advance and I think that would satisfy a lot of people while not compromising the function of genie

It actually is a competition to be honest. Disney has had a monopoly on Orlando for years and now they have a formidable competitor. My thought process is that it will def make Disney better b the dollars at stake are very high and they want to keep their market share.

Also Disney has had some really, really bad press in the last 4-5 years for their woke political agenda, hiring and then firing of their CEO (behind his back in an unprecedented move), terrible performance at the box office (starting with strange world), failure of Disney+ streaming to capture mkt share, fights w the state/governor, delayed construction projects, rising prices, guest satisfaction numbers decreasing, cutting of perks (magical express, free fastpass, free magic bands, paid parking, reduced hours, etc) and they could use a boost.

I understand the frustration of people but I also get that these things come in waves and Disney will be ready to “strike” with some exciting news in the coming years after Epic opens with AK new lands, MK added attractions and enhancements to HS. To try and fight them “tit for tat” when they are opening their biggest expansion since they’ve opened doesn’t make sense b they can’t win that battle.

Final thought: No matter what universal does, I will always be a Disney person over universal. It’s just not the same.
I meant more that it's not a competition between Disney fans and Universal fans. I can see how it could have been interpreted as a competition between Disney and Universal as well thought.

And I'm gonna disagree there as well exactly because of your last paragraph. It's not a competition if the audience is captive. Universal can make the most amazing lands in the world but they won't have that type of nostalgia and dedication from fans. At least for now, since Universal is not a park you take your little kids for vacation. It's an awesome park for 12+ yes, but the IPs themselves don't hold lifelong fans from childhood like Disney IPs do. At least not yet. Nintendo sure, HP unfortunately as well (Not unfortunately for Universal, unfortunately because of the IP author).

But I've never seen a 5yo begging to go to Lord of the Rings Land, or Simpsons land. The audience is dif, and that is ok. Marketing wise Universal should lean towards that. They don't need the 5yos and their audience doesn't want them either if the complaining about strollers says anything.

It is not Coke vs Pepsi. It's Coke vs Beer.

I meant more that it's not a competition between Disney fans and Universal fans. I can see how it could have been interpreted as a competition between Disney and Universal as well thought.

And I'm gonna disagree there as well exactly because of your last paragraph. It's not a competition if the audience is captive. Universal can make the most amazing lands in the world but they won't have that type of nostalgia and dedication from fans. At least for now, since Universal is not a park you take your little kids for vacation. It's an awesome park for 12+ yes, but the IPs themselves don't hold lifelong fans from childhood like Disney IPs do. At least not yet. Nintendo sure, HP unfortunately as well (Not unfortunately for Universal, unfortunately because of the IP author).

But I've never seen a 5yo begging to go to Lord of the Rings Land, or Simpsons land. The audience is dif, and that is ok. Marketing wise Universal should lean towards that. They don't need the 5yos and their audience doesn't want them either if the complaining about strollers says anything.

If Universal is sex, Disney is sex with someone you love. That sums it up for me.

Disney has the nostalgia right now. I'm not sure it will continue with the younger generation going forward. It's the same for Universal. Young kids today don't have the same attachment to Disney or Universal IP like us. They are into Peppa Pig, Blippi and Cocomelon.

As far as who Universal markets to I agree with you. I will add on Disney's side they need to go back to what they excelled at, which is immersive dark rides. Leave the thrills to Universal and regional parks.

Disney has the nostalgia right now. I'm not sure it will continue with the younger generation going forward. It's the same for Universal. Young kids today don't have the same attachment to Disney or Universal IP like us. They are into Peppa Pig, Blippi and Cocomelon.

As far as who Universal markets to I agree with you. I will add on Disney's side they need to go back to what they excelled at, which is immersive dark rides. Leave the thrills to Universal and regional parks.
Kids will have nostalgia to whatever IP they get immersed in. That is up to the parents to choose. There will never be a lack of parents immersing their kids in Disney IP. Maybe it won't be Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, but it will be Moana and Encanto, and whatever IPs they bring in the future.

But even if they do and a third of kids today aren't into Disney, or even half of them. So what?? Isn't one of the biggest complaints how crowded the parks are?? I'll be amazed if there ever is a time were Disney Parks (or Universals) lack guests. There are billions of people on the planet.

I think it is not under dispute the Disney caters better to small children but with the declining birth rate in the US having things that appeal to adults is not an unwise business decision on Universal's part.

I think it is not under dispute the Disney caters better to small children but with the declining birth rate in the US having things that appeal to adults is not an unwise business decision on Universal's part.
but do they really cater to adults? I think they cater to the 12-45 age range and more specifically to boys/men in those ranges (while disney caters to everyone and has a monopoly on princesses and things to draw in girls). I think what Disney does well is Grandmom can ride with grandson/granddaughter on a number of attractions and not get motion sickness, dizzy looking at a screen or have to ride a roller coaster that does 3 flips. My mother-in-law and mom (both grandmoms at 65 years of age) will still do 7-dwarves and slinky dog with their 3 and 5 year old grandsons. Their great grandmother who last was there when she was 83 (passed before getting to go with the boys)...would have ridden small world all day if we let her (I know she is crazy, but that is her jam). My dad, who I've never seen cry, other than at her funeral, actually cried last time we rode small world with both my boys as they were laughing and singing the words, because he was thinking about how much she would have loved to ride it with them. Universal just doesn't have that. The new park doesn't seem to have that either from what I've seen. It just seems like they are doubling down on what they do well...which is smart, but I really would have loved to see them dip into Sing, Shrek or actually produce a half decent minions ride. Dreamworks land has so much potential, but looks to fall flat and they have IP that my boys love, but this new park doesn't consist of any of it, which sucks for me because I really do enjoy universal and their bigger rides, but I just can't entertain taking my boys there for a few more years, when they are hitting 8-10 years old. The flip side to this is my wife (who is 39 right now) is already starting to show coaster fatigue (incredicoaster on our last DL trip left her a little woozy for about 10-15 minutes, so I can only imagine what velocicoaster or hulk might do to her - if she even tries them by the time my boys can). When my boys get to the age to start to really take in Universal, it may have already passed my wife by from a bigger ride standpoint.

Last edited:
So uh, who else is bothered by all the strollers at Disney clogging up the place? Little legs are still legs, they can walk!
We went to Dollywood this week. It really drove home, why Disney doesn't let wagons in. I couldn't even imagine MK with the wagon some of these people had, with some of them literally stopped in the middle of the walkway sideways.

but do they really cater to adults? I think they cater to the 12-45 age range and more specifically to boys/men in those ranges (while disney caters to everyone and has a monopoly on princesses and things to draw in girls). I think what Disney does well is Grandmom can ride with grandson/granddaughter on a number of attractions and not get motion sickness, dizzy looking at a screen or have to ride a roller coaster that does 3 flips. My mother-in-law and mom (both grandmoms at 65 years of age) will still do 7-dwarves and slinky dog with their 3 and 5 year old grandsons. Their great grandmother who last was there when she was 83 (passed before getting to go with the boys)...would have ridden small world all day if we let her (I know she is crazy, but that is her jam). My dad, who I've never seen cry, other than at her funeral, actually cried last time we rode small world with both my boys as they were laughing and singing the words, because he was thinking about how much she would have loved to ride it with them. Universal just doesn't have that. The new park doesn't seem to have that either from what I've seen. It just seems like they are doubling down on what they do well...which is smart, but I really would have loved to see them dip into Sing, Shrek or actually produce a half decent minions ride. Dreamworks land has so much potential, but looks to fall flat and they have IP that my boys love, but this new park doesn't consist of any of it, which sucks for me because I really do enjoy universal and their bigger rides, but I just can't entertain taking my boys there for a few more years, when they are hitting 8-10 years old. The flip side to this is my wife (who is 39 right now) is already starting to show coaster fatigue (incredicoaster on our last DL trip left her a little woozy for about 10-15 minutes, so I can only imagine what velocicoaster or hulk might do to her - if she even tries them by the time my boys can). When my boys get to the age to start to really take in Universal, it may have already passed my wife by from a bigger ride standpoint.
This 64 year old and my 65 year old friend were on Velocicoaster and Hagrids last month. Also Guardians at Epcot. We’ll be on Incredicoaster in August. We can still do it with the best of them, don’t count us short. :-)

This is your experience and if UOR doesn't appeal to you the same way Disney does, that is totally valid. For me, as an older Millennial female who grew up with Disney IP, I still highly preferred Universal until I had my son in 2020. So USF does not mainly cater to boys/men and I feel the nostalgia factor applies particularly to people who grew up visiting DL in California or grew up in, or with family in, Florida and were able to go to Disney parks periodically growing up. My first time stepping into a Disney park was when I was 22 and as much as I love Disney IP, at the time MK was "ok". I didn't go back until 2019 when I was 33, on an adults only trip, and I had a great time but we did both UOR and WDW on that trip and I far preferred UOR. I guess I just prefer thrill rides. Your wife is obviously much different in this regard but I know men (my brother comes to mind) who do not like coasters either so both of us are anecdotal here at best.

Now I have a kid and thus I've recently become a Disney adult, I guess. My now 3 year old has been to Disneyland once (first time for my husband and me) and Disney World twice with three more trips planned this year. My appreciation for Disney parks has increased exponentially almost entirely through seeing it anew through my son. That said, we are going to take him to Universal when he is almost 4 in September. He will be able to ride around 75% of rides (if he makes it to 42" which will be close! If not he will be able to ride over 60% of attractions). He will also love the dragon in Diagon Alley, Animal Actors on Location, Seuss land, all things Minion...in this case though we are able to tack on 1-2 days and get everything done so I see how it isn't really taking away from Disney. We are doing it in ADDITION to a week at WDW.

When Epic Universe opens it will absolutely take away market share from Disney. Not for those who, like I said, grew up visiting primarily Disney parks. But a lot of visitors will be able to easily spend a week at UOR between the three theme parks and the highly themed water park which is generally considered the best water park in Florida and really a theme park in its own right. I for one cannot wait to take my little one to Universal but Epic Universe will be a game changer with Isle of Berk Dragons, Nintendo World, etc. Families with limited time on a once in a lifetime trip might do just 4-5 days at Disney where in the past they'd have done a whole week or ten days, and spend 4 or 5 days at UOR as well.

There is plenty to be nostalgic about at Universal and even more so with Epic Universe opening. Harry Potter came out when I, a 37 almost 38 year old, was 11. Minions is awesome, I was hooked on The Mummy as a youth...Universal has their own Marvel area that is awesome...I definitely think millennials and younger generations are not going to be as devoted to Disney as generations past. HP world is so well done and Epic Universe seems to be following this same approach. My generation and younger are going to go wherever they can get the better overall experience.

I agreed with your comment until the part about Disney just needing to do dark rides and leave thrills to Universal. Disney needs both to continue to appeal to a wide audience. When I first went to all 4 Disney parks, I was 33 and had just spent 3 days at UOR and I was underwhelmed initially by WDW until I got to Hollywood Studios and was able to ride Rock n Rollercoaster and ToT. And I loved Animal Kingdom thanks to the overall experience and Expedition Everest. Epcot was probably bottom of the list for me even though it was an adults only trip during food and wine - I guess it was over hyped to me as the adult park and the attractions in Future World were largely meh for me as an adult.

Universal won me over with the rides and Disney won me over with the overall "experience" that ultimately evened things out with the fewer exciting rides. But I think I would have walked away very unsatisfied with WDW had they not thrown in a few thrills here and there.

Upon returning last September, now with an almost 3 year old in tow, Disney was much better and seeing it through my son's eyes made it exponentially better. Epcot went from the bottom of the list for me to top of the list thanks to Guardians, Ratatouille, and my newfound appreciation for The Three Caballeros in Mexico, Finding Nemo and the ancillary aquariums, and all the cool little play areas speckled through the park. Long story short, Disney needs all of the above for a complete "for the whole family" experience.

I agree. Disney nostalgia dominance will wane just due to the sheer volume of entertainment for kids these days. For someone like me who didn't miss a Sunday night in front of the TV watching Wild Kingdom and then Walt Disney, it will always be the standard. But that was about all I had other than Saturday morning cartoons and Gilligan's Island after school. Kids today have an endless source of IP to draw their attention. Disney will still play a part, but not like it did back before the internet and video gaming.

This is your experience and if UOR doesn't appeal to you the same way Disney does, that is totally valid. For me, as an older Millennial female who grew up with Disney IP, I still highly preferred Universal until I had my son in 2020. So USF does not mainly cater to boys/men and I feel the nostalgia factor applies particularly to people who grew up visiting DL in California or grew up in, or with family in, Florida and were able to go to Disney parks periodically growing up. My first time stepping into a Disney park was when I was 22 and as much as I love Disney IP, at the time MK was "ok". I didn't go back until 2019 when I was 33, on an adults only trip, and I had a great time but we did both UOR and WDW on that trip and I far preferred UOR. I guess I just prefer thrill rides. Your wife is obviously much different in this regard but I know men (my brother comes to mind) who do not like coasters either so both of us are anecdotal here at best.

Now I have a kid and thus I've recently become a Disney adult, I guess. My now 3 year old has been to Disneyland once (first time for my husband and me) and Disney World twice with three more trips planned this year. My appreciation for Disney parks has increased exponentially almost entirely through seeing it anew through my son. That said, we are going to take him to Universal when he is almost 4 in September. He will be able to ride around 75% of rides (if he makes it to 42" which will be close! If not he will be able to ride over 60% of attractions). He will also love the dragon in Diagon Alley, Animal Actors on Location, Seuss land, all things Minion...in this case though we are able to tack on 1-2 days and get everything done so I see how it isn't really taking away from Disney. We are doing it in ADDITION to a week at WDW.

When Epic Universe opens it will absolutely take away market share from Disney. Not for those who, like I said, grew up visiting primarily Disney parks. But a lot of visitors will be able to easily spend a week at UOR between the three theme parks and the highly themed water park which is generally considered the best water park in Florida and really a theme park in its own right. I for one cannot wait to take my little one to Universal but Epic Universe will be a game changer with Isle of Berk Dragons, Nintendo World, etc. Families with limited time on a once in a lifetime trip might do just 4-5 days at Disney where in the past they'd have done a whole week or ten days, and spend 4 or 5 days at UOR as well.

There is plenty to be nostalgic about at Universal and even more so with Epic Universe opening. Harry Potter came out when I, a 37 almost 38 year old, was 11. Minions is awesome, I was hooked on The Mummy as a youth...Universal has their own Marvel area that is awesome...I definitely think millennials and younger generations are not going to be as devoted to Disney as generations past. HP world is so well done and Epic Universe seems to be following this same approach. My generation and younger are going to go wherever they can get the better overall experience.
I'm going to stand firm with my target demographic comment and Universal being more boy/male focused. I don't mean that from the standpoint of boys do thrill rides and girls don't or that someone over 45 can't like a bigger more thrilling roller coaster (my wife has always loved thrill rides for what it's worth - my point on her experience was to actually emphasize that, as she has gotten older, her ability to handle them is decreasing). That doesn't mean that girls/women can't love the mummy, or fast and the furious or the simpsons or marvel or monster movies or Jurassic World or men in black or popeye or transformers...it just means that on a larger scale, the IP is more male-centric, where Disney's is clearly more female-centric.

I also totally get that your 4 year old could do a lot of rides at Universal (similarly, my 5 year old could as well). With that said, it still comes down to age appropriate for me. Even by Universals own standards for ride descriptions, a lot of the rides in the 40-42inch range are listed for tweens and up. My 5 year old might like Fast and the Furious, or he might absolutely hate it because it's loud and constant shooting/explosions (transformers, reign of kong and most of the harry potter attractions are listed similarly on Universals own website/ride breakdowns). Ultimately, it will be at the parents discretion. I get this question a lot from families I work with, with kids in the 5-7 age range that are height appropriate for most things, and I typically direct them to watch ride videos of the attractions and make decisions based on what they think their child can handle. The vast majority, come back with we are going to wait a few more years on Universal.

I definitely agree that Epic is going to draw people in and people will restructure their days between each theme park. It's new, shiny and the marketing has been phenomenal. I am interested to see what their package pricing for 2025 looks like when they finally roll it out (which should be coming soon).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter