Rumored Changes to G+

mamaofsix

DIS Veteran
With an announcement of changes to G+ coming soon, what do you think the new version will look like?

Current rumors are that it will strongly resemble the old FP+ system, but be paid.

Rumor is advanced booking for 3 attractions per day of your stay. 7 days in advance for onsite guests, 3 days in advance for offsite guests. Also rumored that the attractions will be tiered (1 'tier one' advanced booking allowed)

Some of this info/speculation is coming from Len Testa / Jim Hill, so I trust the source.

What are your thoughts? How do you hope it will look?

From the latest installment of the DVC Files Magazine:
1699186996653.png

Last edited:
choosing three tiered rides months out was my least favorite version of FP. I found we rode the least with this version. Especially since you only get one big ride then are forced into rides you dont want, or stalking for weeks hoping a ride opens up, as I also think the prebooking months out affects availability. At least with day of, those people are actually going to the parks that day and not switching around plans

People like what works for them. ... while I dont love waking up at 7, i can make it work. Iit is not that much of a hardship for me to set an alarm for 6:50... pee, then crawl back in to bed, chose a ride, book a LL and go back to sleep. We never rope drop, or go early (usually roll in about 1)... so I like stacking and having several fun rides all set when i arrive.

My ideal set up would not much of a change, just make free genie+ for deluxe guests. Maybe prebooking the night before

choosing three tiered rides months out was my least favorite version of FP. I found we rode the least with this version. Especially since you only get one big ride then are forced into rides you dont want, or stalking for weeks hoping a ride opens up, as I also think the prebooking months out affects availability. At least with day of, those people are actually going to the parks that day and not switching around plans

People like what works for them. ... while I dont love waking up at 7, i can make it work. Iit is not that much of a hardship for me to set an alarm for 6:50... pee, then crawl back in to bed, chose a ride, book a LL and go back to sleep. We never rope drop, or go early (usually roll in about 1)... so I like stacking and having several fun rides all set when i arrive.

My ideal set up would not much of a change, just make free genie+ for deluxe guests. Maybe prebooking the night before
I like your idea of free genie+ for deluxe guests

You said it well that people like what works for them. For myself, I much preferred booking ahead 30 or 60 days. However, perhaps the 7 or 3 days in advance that's rumored is a good compromise between the two. This way those who want to sleep in on their vacation are not be bothered with bookings and can relax.

Last edited:

Disney parks don't have enough ride capacity for the level of attendance they see for a system like this to work anyway. We'll be right back to square one if this ends up happening.
I wonder if a system like Universal's would be better? A higher price ($150-$200 per day, per person) and it's simply unlimited lightning lanes. Far fewer people would go for this, making the standby faster. No complicated bookings, tiers, timed drops, strained system, etc.

I wonder if a system like Universal's would be better? A higher price ($150-$200 per day, per person) and it's simply unlimited lightning lanes. Far fewer people would go for this, making the standby faster. No complicated bookings, tiers, timed drops, strained system, etc.
Truthfully something like that would need to be priced like $500+ per person. Too many people would buy it at $150-200.

Truthfully something like that would need to be priced like $500+ per person. Too many people would buy it at $150-200.
I'd be interested to know Universal's statistics on percentage of guests who use Express Pass. It's currently averages $150 / day per person, I believe. Higher certain times of year.

I'd be interested to know Universal's statistics on percentage of guests who use Express Pass. It's currently averages $150 / day per person, I believe. Higher certain times of year.
That might be tough to figure, since they have 2 different types, and include so many "free" if you stay at a few of their original resorts. But you're right - it would be interesting.

Universal only has 3 Premier hotels that get it free. I would bet that is the majority of users. They do cap the number who can buy it.

Disney has too many Deluxe/DVC resorts for them to give it free. The free after hours for Deluxe was announced right before Genie+. My guess is that what they decided to do to compete with Universal’s free pass.

Here’s the full post from @lentesta a few days ago on this:

Everything I've heard has been along the lines of:
  • 7-day advance booking window for on-site guests
  • 3-day advance window for off-site guests and APs
  • 3 advance reservations
    • All the parks will have "tiers" of attractions (I think the MK did not have FP+ tiers)
    • Like FP+, you'll be able to select one from the top tier and two from the next tier
I don't know yet how same-day reservations will work. Like, if there's sufficient supply, will you be able to select a second top-tier attraction on the day of your visit, after you've used your first three? I don't know.

I've also not heard of an upcharge for this advance booking on top of the regular G+ cost. It's certainly possible.

I know these are rumors/guesses regarding potential changes. But if pre-booking is allowed, it would mean a complete change to the process currently used for G+/LL - that is, the ability to select a time window. I can't see value in booking in advance, and selecting the 'next available' time like it is today. It will have to be more like FP+ where you can select an available time window. And then what? Back to the FP+ approach that you can only do your initial bookings in a single park? Current G+ allows bookings in other parks for later in the day....... What people seem to be focusing in on is a paid FP+ system with 3-7 days of advanced booking - and maybe that's what they decide to do. But that might also be the FP+ lovers speaking from their wish-list.

Like I said earlier, if there was a system that everyone was happy with, we'd have it already! Or maybe the best system, and I know it's crazy - maybe we could all just go to the park, go to the attraction, get in line, and wait in line.....!

Here’s the full post from @lentesta a few days ago on this:
The last line of that post may give the clue as to how this could work without putting those staying offsite, and those who arrive at WDW without ever hearing of Genie+, at such a disadvantage that it effectively makes Genie+ not useful to them. One of the excuses given for not having advance bookings before this was that advance bookings put those ignorant of the system before their arrival at too great of a disadvantage. But, if the "upcharge" is high enough, then few enough people will pay it that those who buy Genie+ later won't be at too great a disadvantage.

P.S. I know the post says he hasn't heard of an upcharge. But perhaps that's what is needed to make the conflicting goals somewhat attainable.

Last edited:

That price is the lowest for single ride/attraction Express Pass. The deluxe hotel guests get the unlimited, as many rides as you want, and it can also be purchased. The highest tier AP also gets the lower level/limited after 4pm. In reality, there are rarely days where the lower level/limited sells that cheap. I have seen it over $200 and the unlimited over $300; this is per person/per day. From my experiences, way fewer people use the Express Pass line compared to the Lightning Lane at Disney. The Express Pass line also accepts the accommodation guests. Attendance is lower at each of the UO parks than the WDW parks. I think WDW would have to price it very high to be comparable. I might not mind though. I love Express Pass at UO, but we always stay at a deluxe hotel.

Personally, all of the system at WDW have had issues. Just pick something, tell me how to do it, and stick with it for a while. We are usually rope droppers anyway, so we are usually up before 7am. It will be interesting to see how this changes once we start going without our son more often, since he will be off to college next year. I have been known to go solo and not ride a single attraction. I like to walk around, take photos, explore, and eat.

When I see threads like this one, it brings back old threads where people were outdone if anyone dared suggest that Disney would make people pay for fast pass or a facsimile. Anyone else remember these heated debates? I always thought they were hilarious.
Yes, I remember! And look where we are now...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter