Rumored Changes to G+

This. It wasn't really until the post 2008 crash recovery that travel seemed to become very accessible. Theme parks went crazy and 2018 and 2019 the parks were all packed like sardines. It wasn't just theme parks. The travel industry through the 2010's just kept booming until Covid hit.

Yeah, even when I went in 2010 - the first time since I was a kid (and on my own dime I might add) - the parks didn't seem all that busy. I mean, somewhat, but not crazy. We had our run of the place really! That steadily changed and it got more and more packed all the time. The Halloween Parties and such really got out of control (and less enjoyable). There really was a boom. Covid tamped down on that, but it sure seems to have recovered quickly!

The first time I used Genie, I was convinced that was the actual purpose of it- to move people all across the park and disperse crowds by making you walk back and forth all day. I’ve never done more steps in MK in my life.
But since you choose the G+/LL attractions, you can control how much 'crossing' you need to do, right?

If you're referring to the general "Genie" app and "Genie" tips (not Genie+), we looked at it once, laughed, and haven't viewed it since....! It's almost nonsense what it recommends!

But since you choose the G+/LL attractions, you can control how much 'crossing' you need to do, right?

It was right after Genie+ launched. No rescheduling of times, you couldn’t even see what time you were going to get because it changed from what was displayed by the time you hit confirm. There’s no way to not run around the park with it like that. They’ve fixed part of that issue at least with the new iteration.

Lets take this thread in a slightly different direction since its a rumors thread anyways.

You can create the next system roll out...what's your plan?

I've seen people say they liked pre-selecting (personally didn't care for it at all parks as you'd end up with throw away rides at Epcot for instance with the tiered system that you had to burn before you could make another real pick at 11/12PM anyways)...not much different then the current system honestly with regards to epcot, except if you get a big attraction before 11, you're already making your next pick for another big one.

I did like being able to select return times though, I don't mind modifying over time to get to where I want my time slot to be with genie+, but it does put you on your phone more under the current system.

I didn't love the tiered system of the old plan, I like the free for all nature of the current one, but I get why it was set up that way to give off-site guests some semblance of hope that they might get a big attraction with one of their pre-selections.

I do like the 2 hour window of the current system (wish they'd shorten it slightly to maybe 60-90 minutes) versus the old system where you couldn't pick until your 3 were done or after your latest current pick. We travel at busier times and there would be times at Magic Kingdom where if we wanted to hit MK on our first or 2nd day, even with the 60 day selection window, we'd end up getting 7 dwarves or pan in the afternoon, which would limit our future selections that day. Under the current system, I can usually knock those 2 out and Space Mountain by 11 and already be onto mansion, big thunder and pirates.

My proposal:

- 2 non-tiered selections for onsite guests that can be made in advance 30 days out for length of stay, 1 non-tiered selection for off-site guests that can be made 15 days in advance for length of ticket
- Ability to select return times (based on slots remaining) once in the park instead of first available starting at park opening (you have 2 pre-selects similar to DAS) and once park opening hits you can make a 3rd if onsite and 2nd if off-site.
- 90 minute window starts based on your first selection made that morning and has nothing to do with your pre-selects

What does everyone else have?

What does everyone else have?
The only real change I would make is this:

The first Genie+ pass of the day and any ILLs can be purchased the night before (10pm? midnight?) and you can choose the G+ return time. If I WANT Slinky from 7-8pm, let me pick that. Or Test Track at 11am...or whatever.

That way people can sleep in without losing anything. IMO, this would relieve pressure from the parks and transportation at open. Currently, G+ buyers feel a lot more pressure to maximize their value by arriving as early as possible. (Also, they've been awake since 7am, so why not?) If you keep those people in their hotel rooms a little longer, other people not buying Genie will have a better experience during the first couple of hours.

On G+ days, I can go back to the days of strolling in the park late-morning without having lost any value / time. You get your next G+ reservation 2 hours after the park opened and continue normally.

Having the ability to choose times on every pass would be nice but not essential. The downside to it is you're probably staring at your phone more often.

I'd likely buy Genie twice per trip and use park hopping to get a few short lines at each park at least once. Other days we'll use early entry or late nights, or just stick to attractions with shorter wait times.

The first Genie+ pass of the day and any ILLs can be purchased the night before (10pm? midnight?) and you can choose the G+ return time. If I WANT Slinky from 7-8pm, let me pick that. Or Test Track at 11am...or whatever.

That way people can sleep in without losing anything. IMO, this would relieve pressure from the parks and transportation at open. Currently, G+ buyers feel a lot more pressure to maximize their value by arriving as early as possible. (Also, they've been awake since 7am, so why not?) If you keep those people in their hotel rooms a little longer, other people not buying Genie will have a better experience during the first couple of hours.

On G+ days, I can go back to the days of strolling in the park late-morning without having lost any value / time. You get your next G+ reservation 2 hours after the park opened and continue normally.

Having the ability to choose times on every pass would be nice but not essential. The downside to it is you're probably staring at your phone more often.

I'd likely buy Genie twice per trip and use park hopping to get a few short lines at each park at least once. Other days we'll use early entry or late nights, or just stick to attractions with shorter wait times.
Does the night before not take the 7am annoyance and move who’s being annoyed? Requiring reservations while you’re in one park for a different park the next day or requiring reservations while everyone is trying to go to bed after a long park day or eating dinner, etc etc

It was right after Genie+ launched. No rescheduling of times, you couldn’t even see what time you were going to get because it changed from what was displayed by the time you hit confirm. There’s no way to not run around the park with it like that. They’ve fixed part of that issue at least with the new iteration.
I don't recall experiencing something like that!

Does the night before not take the 7am annoyance and move who’s being annoyed? Requiring reservations while you’re in one park for a different park the next day or requiring reservations while everyone is trying to go to bed after a long park day or eating dinner, etc etc
Someone is always going to be annoyed.

I would propose that the annoyance is reduced if it's done at a time when people are generally awake on vacation rather than asleep. Do it earlier in the day or weeks ahead, old FP+ style if necessary.

Setting an alarm for 6:55am is the worst.

I don't recall experiencing something like that!
I think the most reported issue was with ILL and at first Disney was reluctant to give refunds but like people would legit go to book an attraction for a time listed and then when they got all the way through it would change (because enough other people bought for that time) or they would have error outs in the app (sometimes of which could be retrieved but usually wasn't). Lot of trips to the Blue Umbrellas in the beginning.

I agree with choosing the G+ return time. The midnight purchase won't work for me since I'd be dead asleep. 10 PM maybe.

Setting an alarm for 6:55am is the worst.
I almost never sleep past 6:30 regardless (home, vacation, weekends, whatever), but I'm often in bed by 10pm. And I agree we're just rearranging who gets annoyed. I'm no more entitled to be accommodated than anyone else. But you can solve for both of us by letting people make selections at 8 or 9 pm. I can reasonably make 10 pm, but midnight is as unfavorable to one set of guests as 7am is to another.

I think the most reported issue was with ILL and at first Disney was reluctant to give refunds but like people would legit go to book an attraction for a time listed and then when they got all the way through it would change (because enough other people bought for that time) or they would have error outs in the app (sometimes of which could be retrieved but usually wasn't). Lot of trips to the Blue Umbrellas in the beginning.
ILL and Genie or Genie+ are very different. I was referring to not having experience being forced to go all over the park to find an attraction available.

I almost never sleep past 6:30 regardless (home, vacation, weekends, whatever), but I'm often in bed by 10pm. And I agree we're just rearranging who gets annoyed. I'm no more entitled to be accommodated than anyone else. But you can solve for both of us by letting people make selections at 8 or 9 pm. I can reasonably make 10 pm, but midnight is as unfavorable to one set of guests as 7am is to another.
This is us as well. There really isn't a fix to this IMO that wont frustrate one side of the column or the other. I like how Disneyland does it where you don't do anything until you scan into the park. Just not sure that's as realistic at World.

This is us as well. There really isn't a fix to this IMO that wont frustrate one side of the column or the other. I like how Disneyland does it where you don't do anything until you scan into the park. Just not sure that's as realistic at World.
When I visited Disneyland, the vibe was much more relaxed. Our room overlooked one of the entrances to California Adventure and I could have counted the people in line for rope drop during the early half hour. We probably arrived between early hour and rope drop or shortly after and it was really easy to get on rides with and without Genie because the crowds were so sparse for the first couple of hours. We didn’t try to buy an $ILL for Rise because we had gone on enough times at World. It was really easy to buy an $ILL for Radiator Springs even into the evening which just shows less people are inclined to buy in DL. It is also very easy to hop between the 2 parks unlike DW which makes genie+ more useful. If they implemented a similar system at World where you can’t choose until you check into the park, it just pushes the vast majority to arrive at rope drop again.
I would prefer being able to book a week or two before, that way no one‘s vacation time is disrupted. You’re not missing your booking window because you’re on a ride, at dinner, watching fireworks, sleeping, etc..

What's not true? That people will book Deluxe (and DVC since it was mentioned) without much perks? Yes indeed that is true. They do not need to provide a perk, most especially exclusive Genie+ access, to have people book at those levels.

People do presently, have in the past, and will in the future book the highest level without much, if any, perks. Historically Disney's levels are based primarily in location and type of hotel. Proximity, dining locations, inside vs outside entry, theming, etc all are at the core of what Deluxe resorts at Disney are.

What I stated was factually correct...maybe you wouldn't stay at a Deluxe (or DVC) but plenty will.

Bookings are down yoy, especially at Deluxe resorts, more than any other category.......The free dining promotion has not been as successful as years past

Need it before the night before for hotel guests.......Need it a week in advanced and for length of stay

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter