• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rumor: New DAS program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obi-J Kenobi

Jedi Knight
Found this article. I don’t know if this is a good or bad change. I’m not familiar with Universal’s program. I’m pretty agnostic about the idea of providing a letter from a health care professional because my DD’s hematologist will provide verification. Here’s a link and I apologize in advance if this should’ve been posted in the rumors forum.

https://wdwnt.com/2024/04/rumor-dis...ersial-third-party-disability-access-service/

The UOR system is controversial. Some love it. Some hate it. Some think anyone who hates it are obviously liars- but those tend to be arm chair experts with no experience of disabilities.
The thread here on the DISabilities board has thoroughly discussed the system, pros & cons, a bit about who this rando company is (no one really knows, they used to be “autism experts” or something), what you can & can’t submit, etc.

I give it 1 week for the first lawsuits against Disney. And that’s mainly because paperwork takes time. After that- or after the seaworld one settles out- we’ll know if the systems are here to stay.

Last edited:
A lot of disabilities are hard to categorize, Disney has done a good job thus far supporting their park goers. It would cut down on abuses, also cut some people that need it off as well.

I hope this is false.
I think it will cull the program a bit- until people realize you just upload X, Y or Z and you’re good to go. Then it might backfire. It’s kinda shocking some of the things this outfit will approve. But practically speaking maybe it isn’t as they can’t verify anything submitted anyway…

It’s a bad change. Disney’s system is pretty revolutionary because it focuses on the accommodation needed rather than the diagnosis (medical model, which is outdated and not favored generally in the disability community in the past 20 years or so). The system Universal uses supposedly makes a lot of denials just based on the disability/diagnosis itself and not how it affects the individual/accommodation needed, which is a pretty backwards way to approach accommodations. They’re also extremely focused on cognitive disabilities and neurodiversity which is inappropriate in my opinion- there shouldn’t be any bias toward or against any medical condition that would necessitate accommodations. Disney’s current system is the best one there is and it’s extremely frustrating that they’d choose to change it to something that will leave some disabled guests behind.

I hope this is false. The other program sounds like a mess and a hassle.
It was but a good chunk of that fault is UOR’s rollout. They DRASTICALLY underestimated demand. People applied- like me- and got approval for a card and then never got contacted for UOR approval even with a couple month lead time. I didn’t have to try in person as my trip got cancelled but I did get a we’re sorry we didn’t call you before your trip email randomly from them after my cancelled trip.

I get Disney needs to change it every few years because the liars don’t stop learning how to cheat the system. I don’t think this is the answer. And I always think if this outfit gets breached- all of us are gonna jump on that class action against whatever park made us use them in about 10 seconds flat.

Last edited:
It was but a good chunk of that fault is UOR’s rollout. They DRASTICALLY underestimated demand. People applied- like me- and got approval for a card and then never got contacted for UOR approval even with a couple month lead time. I didn’t have to try in person as my trip got cancelled but I did get a we’re sorry we didn’t call you before your trip email randomly from them after my trip.

I get Disney needs to change it every few years because the liars don’t stop learning how to cheat the system. I don’t think this is the answer. And I always think if this outfit gets breached- all of us are gonna jump on that class action against whatever park made us use them in about 10 seconds flat.
I feel like the liars are going to cheat any system they come up with. So not sure changing the system just to avoid cheaters is really the answer. I don't like the idea of needing to give medical information to a third party. I hate dealing with medical stuff as it is. The last thing I want to worry about is getting a doctor's note to go on vacation.

I feel like the liars are going to cheat any system they come up with. So not sure changing the system just to avoid cheaters is really the answer. I don't like the idea of needing to give medical information to a third party. I hate dealing with medical stuff as it is. The last thing I want to worry about is getting a doctor's note to go on vacation.
Exactly. Nearly any paperwork will suffice for IBCCES and they don't/can't confirm with a doctor. Then the interview is the same as it's always been. It's all just more hoops for disabled people.

I suppose the veneer of "notes" may calm complaints of abuse from non-DAS holders, but beyond that I don't see what difference it makes.

Personally I've found the new Universal system annoying and opaque but overall fine. (Example: I uploaded notes from a prior doctor's appointment that mostly detailed medication balancing and had my diagnosis, nothing about accommodations, and was instantly apprived.) It's frustrating to know how pointless it is, though.

However, please keep in mind that WDWNT is so often wrong about rumors they are a banned source on many other Disney forums. This rumor could have come from anyone and anywhere and could be completely unfounded.

Nothing will defeat the most determined cheaters. But there is undoubtedly a subcategory of cheaters who are perfectly willing to lie to Disney CMs about medical issues, but who are not prepared to go as far as forging doctors’ notes, which could result in a lifelong ban from Disney and even possible criminal prosecution. So such a system would certainly reduce but not eliminate abuse, of course with the unfortunate cost of making things harder for the honest folk. “TikTok influencers” have a lot to answer for.

Nothing will defeat the most determined cheaters. But there is undoubtedly a subcategory of cheaters who are perfectly willing to lie to Disney CMs about medical issues, but who are not prepared to go as far as forging doctors’ notes, which could result in a lifelong ban from Disney and even possible criminal prosecution. So such a system would certainly reduce but not eliminate abuse, of course with the unfortunate cost of making things harder for the honest folk. “TikTok influencers” have a lot to answer for.
1) The name for one of the conditions I have is scientifically accurate. But it doesn't come close to describing how it affects day to day living, nor does the condition affect everyone with it at the same progression or with the same exact impacts. There are about 8 medical experts worldwide.

2) In this era of increasing medical costs. requiring custom documentation puts an added expense of both money and time on the individual with the disability. Who is responsible for the potential hundreds of dollars in cost per custom document (insurance may or may not pay for this service, let alone the time and expense cost for a patient getting an appointment and to said appointment?

1) The name for one of the conditions I have is scientifically accurate. But it doesn't come close to describing how it affects day to day living, nor does the condition affect everyone with it at the same progression or with the same exact impacts. There are about 8 medical experts worldwide.

2) In this era of increasing medical costs. requiring custom documentation puts an added expense of both money and time on the individual with the disability. Who is responsible for the potential hundreds of dollars in cost per custom document (insurance may or may not pay for this service, let alone the time and expense cost for a patient getting an appointment and to said appointment?
Yep, as someone who has dealt with the expenses, time, and form-filling of applying for a handicapped parking permit for a relative, I agree that it is annoying. And if everyone was honest, none of this would be necessary. But unfortunately the easier they make it, the more people will abuse it.

Last edited:
This oddly came up on the day we would do our das selections for our upcoming trip, and I asked the cast member helping me. She has not heard of anything changing, but if something does change https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/ will be updated to reflect these.

I personally dont see the need to change the process now, I don't think the system is as abused as people say. You never know what someone else is going thru and I'm sure there are some bad apples but you shouldn't judge someone based off how they look in the parks. If they are using das i'm sure most likely its for a reason.

Everyone is so negative these days and think people are all out to jip the system and that so far from the truth. Stop and talk to people instead of keeping in your bubble, you will realize their are actually a lot of good people in the world and not a bunch of con artist faking disabilities. (I mean people in general not everyone that scans a magic band and it lights up light blue)

I'm hoping this is clickbait, as this system puts a lot of undue stress onto the shoulders of disabled individuals. The documentation I submitted to get my IBCCES card for Universal cost me an additional $100 to have my psychiatrist write, as that is their standard letter-writing fee. Not everyone can afford that extra expense on top of the cost of the actual appointment, any medications they have to take, any material accommodations that need to be purchased/replaced, etc.

It is incredibly unfair to charge people more for the right to be able to enjoy the parks the same way others do. The fault, of course, lies more at the feet of Tiktokers / disingenuous people than Disney itself, but I feel this is an overreaction.

I do wish there was an *option* to submit documentation to have, perhaps, a lifetime DAS pass furnished (as most disabilities don't go away), but documentation certainly shouldn't be required.

A lot of people have issues that have yet to have been officially diagnosed (despite years of rigorous medical testing being undergone) but that require accommodation, as well, and this change would be especially devastating for them and their park experience, as they would no longer have access to accommodations they genuinely need.

Cheaters will always find a way to cheat. As always, the disabled attendees will suffer the most from this - not the relative few taking advantage of assistance they don't need.

Not to mention just how long it can take to get an official diagnosis. It can be YEARS between the onset of debilitating symptoms and getting officially diagnosed.

Hey folks -- just a reminder the thread title does include the word "RUMOR" and that is all I believe this may be. In fact, such rumor has circulated on FB and other social media every time another theme park makes a change, most recently last summer when Universal went to the IBCCES process. I believe there are at least a couple of lawsuits in the courts related to this system. I would be highly surprised if Disney went this route, at least not before those lawsuits are decided.

I'm closing the thread because it is RUMOR with only the 1 website "reporting" it, plus the disABILITIES Forum rehashed all this same stuff just a few months ago. If substance comes of this rumor, we'll start a thread then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter