Rumor about “modified experiences” when Disney reopens (read 1st post for potential modifications being considered)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or rather, people who are at high-risk of complications from the virus are going to have to choose not to go. and those who go should be meticulous about hygeine, and avoid being around people in high-risk groups after the trip. Some personal responsibility and thoughtfulness can take the place of everyone in the country living under house arrest and the economy being a shambles.

Of course that's true - in a perfect world, that will never exist.

everything is going to be different. The world is going to be different from here on out, just like it was after 9/11.

Disney like a lot of other businesses is now going to be facing an uncertain future. 3 months ago there was no end in sight to the ever expanding Disney World and crowds. All of a sudden thats going to change. The parks arent going to be nearly as crowded for a few years. People are going to be afraid to go, or they arent going to be able to afford a vacation at all now.

Scary times for sure.

If/when the coronavirus situation is declared "over," then within a few months things will probably go back to the usual crowded conditions of January.

Resort bookings could help guess the park crowds for the first few weeks after re-opening for park staffing purposes.

But grand re-opening specials or the lack thereof will influence resort bookings.

Last edited:
everything is going to be different. The world is going to be different from here on out, just like it was after 9/11.

Disney like a lot of other businesses is now going to be facing an uncertain future. 3 months ago there was no end in sight to the ever expanding Disney World and crowds. All of a sudden thats going to change. The parks arent going to be nearly as crowded for a few years. People are going to be afraid to go, or they arent going to be able to afford a vacation at all now.

Scary times for sure.

Right.

A major complicating factor here with the crowds is that when this is considered to be over enough for the masses to feel comfortable leaving their homes for non essential purposes, there will be tons and tons of people who have been out of work for weeks, possibly even months. Expensive vacations are going to be some of the first things on the chopping block for many people. This impact of COVID-19 hits in so many different aspects of our lives.

So while people may *want* to visit WDW quickly, there are going to be a lot less than we've become accustomed to who actually can do that.

Right.

A major complicating factor here with the crowds is that when this is considered to be over enough for the masses to feel comfortable leaving their homes for non essential purposes, there will be tons and tons of people who have been out of work for weeks, possibly even months. Expensive vacations are going to be some of the first things on the chopping block for many people. This impact of COVID-19 hits in so many different aspects of our lives.

So while people may *want* to visit WDW quickly, there are going to be a lot less than we've become accustomed to who actually can do that.
The longer this goes on chances are a lot of people might not have jobs to go back to. A have a feeling a lot of people, even if they can afford it, won't be in a hurry to be around a lot of other people. I just got an email from Cedar Point and they aren't going to be opening til mid May if not later. That doesn't bode well for the ones hoping Disney is opening soon

I guess I don't see the benefit long-term in getting rid of very popular nighttime entertainment.

Like the Main Street Electrical parade? That seemed quite popular when I was there.

There would be a benefit to Disney. If folks are standing around watching a parade or fireworks, they aren't buying anything.

Scary times for sure.

I don't think anyone knows. I did watch a video from TP yesterday, and supposedly the prognosticators there believe that there will be a low period for a couple of months after a re-open, but that after that for the next 6 months-a year, the crowds will be VERY high, no matter what season it is. Because, all the re-schedulers are going to have to have somewhere to re-schedule to, and the longer the closure, the more people to spread over a shorter amount of time. Which makes sense.

I don't know that I agree completely on that, because it doesn't really take into account a lot of mitigating factors, like the economic situation, the school situation, the park experience situation. But, they are the experts, and I'm not. But still, I think there will be a lot of factors to consider on the busyness of the parks.

Quite a cost savings to not run fireworks shows too.

I should have asterisked *other than financial* in my post. Obviously, there is a financial gain to not having parades/fireworks. Maybe. But, to the other poster's point, yeah maybe they are in their shops/restaurants, spending money. Maybe. Or, maybe not. Those things are a huge crowd-suck, and helps the flow of the park. If you think of all those people in lines for attractions, that creates a HUGE wait time issue. Also, consider the revenue lost from fireworks dessert parties. And Fantasmic dining packages. And so on. Also, people use FPs for premium view experiences. Think of all of those FPs back in circulation, for other attractions, meaning the FP system runs into a logjam, and FP waits increase.

WDW cannot survive being a locals-only resort, the way Disneyland is a locals park. It just can't. And, it will become a locals-only experience by taking away those things that bring visitors and tourists from far away. Certainly, in the short-term, it is the prudent thing to do. But, long-term, sure it MAY make financial sense, if you look at the very surface level financials.

But, if you start looking at the visitors lost, due to park experience. (And I know the typical line: WDW takes things away, and the crowds will still come. But, this feels different) the add-on experiences lost, the flow of the park compromised...I think the financials start to even out a little bit.

I think they should extend, at a minimum, the AP's.

I am not sure that they can merely turn-back-on the construction schedule for the current projects to have a 1:1 timeline. I would want them to factor in the projected completion dates once the closures are lifted. In our case, we purchased the AP's given the previously projected opening of certain attractions/eateries.

I don't think anyone knows. I did watch a video from TP yesterday, and supposedly the prognosticators there believe that there will be a low period for a couple of months after a re-open, but that after that for the next 6 months-a year, the crowds will be VERY high, no matter what season it is. Because, all the re-schedulers are going to have to have somewhere to re-schedule to, and the longer the closure, the more people to spread over a shorter amount of time. Which makes sense.

I don't know that I agree completely on that, because it doesn't really take into account a lot of mitigating factors, like the economic situation, the school situation, the park experience situation. But, they are the experts, and I'm not. But still, I think there will be a lot of factors to consider on the busyness of the parks.

First off - WDW has been closed all of 1 week so it's way too soon for TP in their semi-professional capacity to do any "prognostications". Second, they have no idea what "version" of WDW there will be when it does reopen - and will people be satisfied with that version. For example, say in the interest of park patrons before a vaccine has been developed and folks have been inoculated that this year's F&W festival was called off. Would folks be OK with that?

I am not sure that they can merely turn-back-on the construction schedule for the current projects to have a 1:1 timeline. I would want them to factor in the projected completion dates once the closures are lifted. In our case, we purchased the AP's given the previously projected opening of certain attractions/eateries.

A "projected" opening date is not a "definite" opening date. They can't turn back time and redo the work that had been planned if they needed to shutdown all work for the greater good. I feel there will be many delays, some due to personnel issues for workers laid off, and some due to delays in getting supplies due to delays for their suppliers. And, of course, the virus will still be out there.

A "projected" opening date is not a "definite" opening date. They can't turn back time and redo the work that had been planned if they needed to shutdown all work for the greater good. I feel there will be many delays, some due to personnel issues for workers laid off, and some due to delays in getting supplies due to delays for their suppliers. And, of course, the virus will still be out there.

One only has to look at MMRR to understand the difference between "projected" and "definite" opening date; that's nothing new within the theme park industry.

My point is that they should extend the AP's as some guests purchased them for those announced timelines/season. My own sense is that there will be project push-outs that don't align with the 1:1 original timeline.

My point is that they should extend the AP's as some guests purchased them for those announced timelines/season. My own sense is that there will be project push-outs that don't align with the 1:1 original timeline.

Without knowing what type of AP, and they did extend it, what if the "new timeline" is during an AP's blackout period?

And, to be fair, why just APs? Should they also extend all tickets for folks that purchased them for a date after something was "projected" to be open.

If they do, that would be great. If they don't, then it's just a bit of bad luck - which in the end was my point.

Buying a ticket or anything based on a "projected" date is a gamble, and like all gambling usually the house wins. In this case, the Mouse wins.

Last edited:
Without knowing what type of AP, and they did extend it, what if the "new timeline" is during an AP's blackout period?

It is possible it could or it is possible it wouldn't. What if it does or doesn't impede isn't the point of an extension.

And, to be fair, why just APs? Should they also extend all tickets for folks that purchased them for a date after something was "projected" to be open.

I said at minimum in my previous post. I think they should broaden the extension(s).

I think everyone with activated APs that were valid at the time of the closure should be extended by 1 year. People can’t always travel when they want to. I for one have a pass that was valid when I could travel and the parks closed. What if I can’t travel between my expiration plus closure time? That isn’t the deal I paid for. JMO.

I think everyone with activated APs that were valid at the time of the closure should be extended by 1 year. People can’t always travel when they want to. I for one have a pass that was valid when I could travel and the parks closed. What if I can’t travel between my expiration plus closure time? That isn’t the deal I paid for. JMO.

Yeah, we’re in that situation too. An AP covering 2 trips, one being cancelled. I have no idea when we’ll go again. I’m hoping once opened back up and the future looks more clear there they will be willing to make exceptions for certain scenarios, because I don’t think they’d do an across the board extension.

I have been going to WDW my entire life. Disney could send me free tickets, free lodging at the Poly and free deluxe dining and I still wouldn't return until this virus is no longer a threat.

You can't stop living and enjoying life either. Every day is a gift, and we aren't guaranteed the next. Life is a threat: car accidents, other illnesses, unexpected natural disasters , cancer and so much else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter