Royal Pacific or Cabana Bay with kids?

KateDrake

DIS Veteran
Hey all,

Coming down and bringing our extended family for our upcoming trip. My parents are generously paying for the trip and have left me to plan since we know what we're doing, and I've got everything worked out except which hotel. We have previously stayed at Cabana Bay and LOVED it. My kids love the pool and lazy river, and we enjoy eating at the Bayliner Diner and the fun theme.

My mom was also interested in Royal Pacific because she wants express passes. But that resort doesn't look particularly fun for kids? (We'll have my two, 14 and 9, and my niece and nephew, 9 and 8). We have a full resort day after transferring over from Disney, and I want them to be able to enjoy the pool and everything.

If we stay at CB, we'll just purchase express passes separately, and it would save us a ton of money - about $1,300 for the first night alone (when we don't need EP). But my mom is willing to pay the exorbitant price if Royal Pacific is that much cooler.

So: WWYD? (Disclaimer: we've been to Hawaii several times so the RP theme is less exciting. But my mom HATES Hard Rock and wasn't super excited about Portofino. If one of those is way better, open to hearing about it as well!)

My family stayed at Royal Pacific last November for a long weekend, and we're doing it again in November 2023. There's 4 of us, me, DH, DS12 and DD10. We stayed in a King suite room and really enjoyed it. The room itself was super convenient to the lobby and restaurants. (The Jurassic World suites look really cool too BTW!) The resort itself feels really serene and the staff were very helpful. I needed a lot of coaching to figure things out during this first visit. The pool is pleasant, with a fake ocean liner play area and hot tub, no slides though, but that's not the end of the world for us. We had nice meals at Jake's American Bar (dinner) and Islands Dining Room (breakfast). We also got some easy quick breakfasts at the Tuk Tuk market. And the easy boat rides and walking paths to the parks and CityWalk were a hit with everyone. Basically, the family insisted we stay there again as soon as we left. It's a nice place. Sophisticated. Clean. Convenient.

It was closed when we visited, but Royal Pacific has a luau that looks like it's up and running again. I'll probably be booking that for the next trip.

But forget all that. We love the Express Passes. For first time visitors, they saved us so much time. In our case, Royal Pacific was a better price than a lower tier resort with separately purchased Express Passes.

If you've compared the prices between the two (with EPs added for a CBR stay) and CBR is less expensive, I'd first ask what room types are you looking at for each hotel? Are you looking at the base level room for both or is one a larger room (i.e. RPR is a King suite or Club Level room, CBR is a family suite room, etc.) For me, if the rooms are the same and EPs aren't an issue, I'd go with CBR as I like the theming very well and it has a couple of very nice pools (to RPR's single pool with no slide). While RPR might have more on-site restaurant options, the CBR food bar area has a pretty wide variety of foods and there is the Diner by the Bowling Alley, as well as, food options out by the pools.

But if you've got a larger than base room at one or the other, depending on the cost difference, I might be very tempted to go that route. Or if your RPR room includes Club Access, then I'd probably lean that way as well. One plus and down-side to CBR is it is next to the VB water park. Easy walking distance, but that means you'll probably want to ride the buses to CityWalk to get to the other Universal parks. Not that you'll have a long wait, but you will be let out on the walkway to CityWalk where everyone else is coming in. You will have to go through the big main security entrance which during some times can get crowded and a little chaotic. Yes, it is possible to walk from CBR to CityWalk and the parks, but it is a noticeably longer walk than from any of the Premier hotels.

I would double check your numbers. I don't know when you are going, but Express pass can be over $200/per person, per day. One night at RP gets you two days of express passes, so make sure you are comparing equally. For a bigger group the express pass hotel has almost always worked out cheaper in my experience. Royal Pacific's pool isn't anything to write home about, IMO, but you can pool hop. You can go over to Sapphire which has a cool slide and is not a far walk. Or go to Cabana Bay for the day. We've stayed at Cabana Bay, Endless Summer, and Royal Pacific and honestly Endless Summer was our favorite room, but RP is worth the location and the EP's.

Also, as long as pool hopping is back, you could mix it up and take the kids up to Hard Rock and try their pool. Back when Uni only had the three deluxe hotels, we would stay at RP and pool hop to Hard Rock as that was my daughter’s favorite pool but my husband’s least favorite hotel.

Also, as long as pool hopping is back, you could mix it up and take the kids up to Hard Rock and try their pool. Back when Uni only had the three deluxe hotels, we would stay at RP and pool hop to Hard Rock as that was my daughter’s favorite pool but my husband’s least favorite hotel.
Yes pool hopping is happening. We pool hopped a few weeks ago and just had to show our room key. :thumbsup2 Endless Summer resorts are excluded but all other on-site hotels allow it.

Reactions: AJA

But if you've got a larger than base room at one or the other, depending on the cost difference, I might be very tempted to go that route. Or if your RPR room includes Club Access, then I'd probably lean that way as well. One plus and down-side to CBR is it is next to the VB water park. Easy walking distance, but that means you'll probably want to ride the buses to CityWalk to get to the other Universal parks. Not that you'll have a long wait, but you will be let out on the walkway to CityWalk where everyone else is coming in. You will have to go through the big main security entrance which during some times can get crowded and a little chaotic. Yes, it is possible to walk from CBR to CityWalk and the parks, but it is a noticeably longer walk than from any of the Premier hotels.
Hmm, I had just been considering the regular rooms at both, but that is a good consideration! I'll have to look into it a bit more.

We've loved the bus transportation on our previous two trips to CBR - probably because we are used to Disney buses and the ones at Universal are so much better! They come so often, and it's such a short ride!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Right now the prices I'm getting at RPR are around $750 per night, where Cabana Bay is only around $260, so even with the $100 express passes, it is still cheaper. But you have all given me some good things to think about! We'll do some more research!

Hmm, I had just been considering the regular rooms at both, but that is a good consideration! I'll have to look into it a bit more.

We've loved the bus transportation on our previous two trips to CBR - probably because we are used to Disney buses and the ones at Universal are so much better! They come so often, and it's such a short ride!

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Right now the prices I'm getting at RPR are around $750 per night, where Cabana Bay is only around $260, so even with the $100 express passes, it is still cheaper. But you have all given me some good things to think about! We'll do some more research!
$750 seems really high!! What room category is that and what are your dates? I booked RP for $390 in Nov but it took a few days of checking for a standard room to open up.

My vote is or Royal Pacific! It’s a beautiful resort and pool has a fun splash pad that looks like a ship for the kids. What’s also great is its a short walk to the parks with your own security check. No long security lines going thru main entrance with busses. Or if you don’t want to walk you can take the boat and again you just go thru security at boat dock. You don’t have to trudge thru City Walk to get to the parks.
Plus express pass.
You didn’t mention when you’re going, $750 seems very high. But prices change regularly. I’ve never seen RP that high. We’re going early Aug and price just dropped to $410 for standard view it $427/water view with AP discount. May make sense for one of you to get an AP for room discount. Compare with how many days you’re going vs park to park tix. You don’t need an AP to book, just need to have it for check in.
And individual Express Pass can be $200, depending on dates so if you plug in dates you can see how much express pass will be for your trip.

$750 seems really high!! What room category is that and what are your dates? I booked RP for $390 in Nov but it took a few days of checking for a standard room to open up.
Yes, and it took me a couple of months to find a 2 queen room. At first all I could find is a king room. Always have to keep checking with Universal. Rooms and rates fluctuate frequently.

I’m questioning $100 for express pass. Even if you go with the one park option without unlimited express (the only 1 ride per option), I’m not seeing $100 per person anytime soon on their website.

Thanks for the replies all! We are going for Spring Break next year, so I think that's where the high prices are coming from. I wish we were going in the off season, but my mom (who is paying for the whole thing) is one of those parents who never let us miss school, and is continuing with the grandkids! So we are stuck going then.

I will keep an eye out for price fluctuations for sure. Thank you all so much for your help!

If your mom is paying for the trip and wants Royal Pacific I would choose there. We had never stayed on property until November where we were at Portofino and loved it so unable to comment on RP but have heard good things about it.

How much are the express passes for your week during spring break? If hotels are priced on the higher end I would bet the express passes will be too. I vote for staying at the RPR (what grandmother prefers) and heading over to Cabana Bay for a pool hop. Additionally, Sapphire Falls is a very close walk to RPR and although it doesn't have a lazy river, their pool is better than Cabana Bay's (according to my children ages 12 and 16).

How much are the express passes for your week during spring break? If hotels are priced on the higher end I would bet the express passes will be too. I vote for staying at the RPR (what grandmother prefers) and heading over to Cabana Bay for a pool hop. Additionally, Sapphire Falls is a very close walk to RPR and although it doesn't have a lazy river, their pool is better than Cabana Bay's (according to my children ages 12 and 16).
We were there for Spring Break this year and the Express Passes were easily >$200/pp/day. I would absolutely stay at RP if you can afford it not just for the EP but also for the ease of getting to/from the parks. Being able to walk back when you get out of the park at close and not have to wait for the boat/bus is amazing.

Yeah for Spring break, I would expect express passes to be over $200/per person per day. That "starting at $89" thing is a bunch of baloney in my experience lol, but especially during peak season.

We stayed at RP over spring break and our kids, 11 and 8, enjoyed it. They liked the pool a lot, but you could also pool hop to CB if you wanted. I personally think walking to and from the park is a great perk, so that would sway my decision.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter