RotR Planning & Daily Boarding Group Discussion - *CLOSED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure this is correct. I've seen that said multiple times. At the mickey touchpoints, they do not determine if a guest has EMH or not. Anyone with a ticket can scan in. You have to check in at another point if you have EMH.
This morning they had the touch points split. Half were for on site half were for off. Very long lines were held at one side outside of the park until about 7:20ish. Definitely possible that some off site guests snuck through the other side, but they were trying hard to hold us

Wait, did I miss this posted somewhere? I thought they were already in and being held when the BG opened.
They were. Someone in that held group posted how he saw a number of people on their phones, checked the app, and joined a BG.

I think having opportunity to ride the Tier 1 rides is still part of the point. Kind of the same value as it was a week ago. You can still get a lot done in that time frame.

Of course, riding those rides could also lock you out of RotR if you’re on a ride when the VQ opens up.

And I imagine ride wait times this morning we’re up a bit as well as everyone and their brother showed up with the hopes to ride RotR, so probably less valuable then a week ago.

Going during EMH two weeks from today, Ogas and Droid Depot ADRs have us locked into an EMH day unfortunately. Right now the posted hours are 9am regular opening with 8am EMH. If I get there at 6:30, should we be OK to get through security tap in and get a BG? Was hoping to do SDD and Aliens during EMH because we don’t have FP for either ride.
I don’t know about Droid Depot, but Oga’s had a ton of availability this week and would have been super easy to modify to a new day.

I agree that the way they handled things today wasn’t great. I wonder why and when they decided to open up the booking before the pre-announced 7:45. Honestly, announcing a specific time was never a great idea. If they had stuck with the 7:45, then there’s a very good possibility that the system would have crashed. But opening things up early just leads to anger and frustration from people who took them at their word. I think that leaving things vague would have been the best option.

Last edited:
Of course, riding those rides could also lock you out of RotR if you’re on a ride when the VQ opens up.
That's what I was thinking. The reality is that if RoTR is your priority, you need to be sure you're in the park, on your phone, and refreshing to get a BG. Things seem to be changing massively within minutes. I wouldn't want to take the chance.

And I imagine ride wait times this morning we’re up a bit as well as everyone and their brother showed up with the hopes to ride RotR, so probably less valuable then a week ago.

But the question was how was EMH worth it without RotR running during EMH. I think there is still value there, regardless of whether RotR is actually running during that timeframe. And if you are traveling with at least one other person, at least someone can ride while someone else stands watch for the BGs to open up.

I found a lot of value in the extra hours (that were unannounced) on Dec 6. I got my boarding group at 730, others rode SDD with a 25 minute wait, I got TSM with a 10 minute wait and then we were over by RnR before the rest of the crowds were let in. All in, plenty of value for me - I couldn't get FPs for any of those rides.

Edited to Add: Also, the key so far (other than day 1) has been you are through the tapstiles and the system recognizes you as being in the park before you can get a group. With EMH at least you are over that hurdle while the offsite folks are battling a line just before the BG open. If RotR is your only goal, I wouldn't not go to EMH. I would and enjoy a coffee and the atmosphere and get that trigger finger ready!!

Last edited:
But the question was how was EMH worth it without RotR running during EMH. I think there is still value there, regardless of whether RotR is actually running during that timeframe. And if you are traveling with at least one other person, at least someone can ride while someone else stands watch for the BGs to open up.

I found a lot of value in the extra hours (that were unannounced) on Dec 6. I got my boarding group at 730, others rode SDD with a 25 minute wait, I got TSM with a 10 minute wait and then we were over by RnR before the rest of the crowds were let in. All in, plenty of value for me - I couldn't get FPs for any of those rides.

Right. I’m not saying there was no value. I’m just saying that I bet ride wait times were a bit longer then usual today, especially if you were going just to ride the headliners without even wanting to ride RofR.

After all, people weren’t just standing around refreshing. They were riding rides. Nobody knew the VQ was going to open at 7:20. And going forward, more and more people will be arriving early. I can only guess that will drive the early morning wait times up at popular rides.

We will be at WDW for marathon weekend, and it will be interesting to see how things change by then.

Add me to those who think that what Disney did today wasn't right. It's one thing to say nothing and another to affirmatively say another. They should have done as a PP mentioned and just said boarding groups will open sometime after opening and left it at that--or said nothing.

Anyone have any guesses how any of this will translate to the opening at DLR? We'll be there the second weekend. I assume they'll try BG's as well, but I've read speculation that RotR is at the same place as WDW's and they will use the extra month and a half for possible soft openings with CMs etc.
We're going to be there marathon week as well, so I'm also interested in seeing how this evolves over the next month!

I think that much of what was arguably wrong with this morning's statements from Disney is an error in phrasing/writing. As others have noted, if they had been even a bit more vague about when BGs would open, or simply NOT address that part, there would be less to reasonably complain about. The problematic part is what has been reported that they announced, just this morning, that it would be 7:45am, and it was 7:20. Heck, they could simply have said "No later than 7:45" and at least not be (intentionally or unintentionally) lying.

My sense of things (from hundreds of miles away, but following this thread) is that they've handled things very well given the complexities (including the downtimes, etc.), but made a misleading error this morning.

WOW😁 definitely worth getting up at 4am!
Just got off the ride. Took just under an hour from the time we got in line to off. It is amazing! The sheer size of the sets is jaw dropping and can definitely see the advance in technology from Star Tours to this.

Anyone know what the boarding group # was up to today? They said they were lowering the amount of boarding groups by approx 20 from yesterday

I get the ride is "closed" to guests once the boarding passes are gone, but has there been any issue with people being able to get in the land itself?

If we don't have a boarding pass, can we still get in GE and wander around with no issue at anytime of the day?

I get the ride is "closed" to guests once the boarding passes are gone, but has there been any issue with people being able to get in the land itself?

If we don't have a boarding pass, can we still get in GE and wander around with no issue at anytime of the day?

no, the land itself has never been closed. The boarding groups are just for the ride/to get into the queue for the ride. you can come and go into the land with no issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter