ROTR lottery needs to end.

The challenge is the ride can only carry a set number of guests each day even when it works perfectly. The demand for the ride is higher than its capacity it can offer even if it functions perfectly from park open to close.

This change of allowing a standby line still would not work as they would need to close the standby line after x number of guests to ensure they could ride.

It’s not about what type of line, it’s about supply and demand and the demand is always higher than the supply.

Since they've never tried it for even a day with just a standby line it's impossible to state that it would not work. Like others I think they should and it'll still be busy for awhile but then it will become more like FoP. Yes, long lines but if you want to wait you'll get on.

I think a factor that’s being overlooked is that with a standby queue there might be more abuse of the DAS system. I could easily see someone lying about the need for it to avoid a 5+ hour line- rush one member of the party straight to the attraction when it opens and get a return time…

Unfortunately there are people who are going to take advantage of anything they can to avoid waiting in line.

Not overlooked but that's just been it's own issues at times and in reality, though abuse takes place, it's a tiny fraction compared to normal visits.

I wouldn't ditch the system, just adjust the programming to take into account a few things like...
+++First time rider
++On Site Resort Guest
+No rides in last 30 days
+Non-Florida resident
-More then two rides in 30 days
--AP holder with more then 2 rides in 30 days

I wouldn't ditch the system, just adjust the programming to take into account a few things like...
+++First time rider
++On Site Resort Guest
+Non-Florida resident

I agree thats the best option. I think Disney doesn't want to look like they are singling any one group out though. At the very least do the no rides in the last 30 days option.

@Brett Wyman, I totally agree with software they can slowly increase the "points" so newer people are getting a priority without completely shutting down the regular/locals. Sadly I don't think Disney will do anything and I'm not sure their software is up to the challenge.

With the FP system you can stay at onsite Disney property so your window opens at 60 days so you had a 30 day head start over general public. You also had the option to wait in the standby line.

I've been going to Disney every few years for over 30 years. I'm aware of this. I have stayed on site and still could not get a FP for avatar. And yes, I could see there was a 4 hour line when I went into AK but that's not an option for me (personal choice, not because of any ailment). My point is that AP holders clog up the system (whether virtual que or FP) and there are many people who spend YEARS trying to secure a spot.

All the vloggers who want to be internet stars are in there, some several times a week, Some have ridden numerous times. Most dont spend a lot of money IN Disney but its free advertising for Disney if the vlogger has a decent following. So Disney continues to allow it.

On any new ride, it just seems to make more sense to limit ridings for the first 3 to 5 years until the craze is over. EVERYONE would still get to ride. No one is being excluded.

I'm surprised Disney hasn't tried the obvious. An after hours event at GE. Includes a light saber, Droid,drink and the both attractions.$399? $499?

They'd still have to do BGs as everyone at the party would just rush to ROTR. But a randomly given guaranteed BG sometime during the party would work. Sadly the ride is too unreliable still. It could, and would break at some point, and everyone would want a refund.

I could only image the complete chaos there would be at Rope Drop people running (like they did in the past) to get to ROTR. We have 3 days in HS hoping to get ROTR on one of those days which we did yesterday. I know it's very frustrating to not be able to ride the ride on the day you are on the park.
FP would solve that problem of chaos and running. If my FP is at 10:00, I'll get to the park at my leisure.

FP would solve that problem of chaos and running. If my FP is at 10:00, I'll get to the park at my leisure.

You cant have FP without standby though. And the standby people will be the ones causing the chaos at RD. I know people are frustrated but given demand and ride capacity, and break downs. Disney is doing the best they can right now. People just need to practice at home before you go and you WILL get a BG.

I'm surprised Disney hasn't tried the obvious. An after hours event at GE. Includes a light saber, Droid,drink and the both attractions.$399? $499?
Most rides which are part of other Tours don't have the outages RotR has. What happens if the ride breaks down and is out for the duration of the event? You now have a group of people who just paid a lot of $ for access and when it doesn't happen, they will want a refund (complete nightmare).

I did a Private VIP tour last week and the first thing they say is "No VIP access to RotR" when booking, so I don't believe it's money controlling the access it's the logistics and the shear number of people interested in riding. I'd be fascinated to see the data which was collected during opening of FoP and how that is contributing to the procedures. I think a lot of the parks rules are being determined by RotR. It's not a coincidence that park hopper starts at 2pm and the 2nd boarding group is at 1:00. You cannot have everyone hopping to the park at 12:30 to get a 2nd chance....

+++First time rider
++On Site Resort Guest
+Non-Florida resident
What happens to the group that is made up of a variety of these people? Force them to split up? Ouch!

You cant have FP without standby though. And the standby people will be the ones causing the chaos at RD. I know people are frustrated but given demand and ride capacity, and break downs. Disney is doing the best they can right now. People just need to practice at home before you go and you WILL get a BG.
Agreed.
Those on this forum are already ahead of the majority. You at least know the procedures to best your chances. There are still a lot of people to will wake up at 7:30 log in and realized the day is full.

Agreed. Im not sure what mistake some people are making but if you follow the guides properly you will almost certainly always get a boarding group. We have never NOT gotten one in multiple tries. I'm guessing most people's issue is thinking you can start AT 7am, whereas if you don't actually start a few seconds early or EXACTLY on the dot synching with Apple time or similar, YOU WILL MISS IT. They are gone it literal seconds.
That was exactly the situation with COVID vaccines when they first came out in this area. And it turns out, there are people that just can’t get the timing to get something that is gone in seconds. Now for the vaccines we had a neighborhood committee with good WiFi and fast fingers that could get vaccine appts every time. And did so until all our neighbors who wanted it had vaccine appt.

When it comes to these new rides maybe that is something Disney could offer. Their interns with fast fingers will get you a boarding pass once. From there you are on your own.

What happens to the group that is made up of a variety of these people? Force them to split up? Ouch!
If Disney wants to employ me I'd be happy to vet it out further 🤣 . But conceptually a smaller group of out State visitors staying on site without anyone local joining them would gain a higher chance. Personally I'd ditch the day of enrollment, let people put their name in the hat at some point and then the system can spit out the results a few days before, that way a guest could bail on DHS or change their plans for the day.

I guess I am in the minority.

I like the system, would be upset if it went away.
The ride is our favorite. However, I am not willing to wait in a 5+ hour line hoping that there are no mechanical problems. That would be a disappointing mess (and waste) of a day.
I make it a point to teach random people how to secure a boarding group (have even done it for them) while overhearing their conversations (in lines, etc).
The system is not a lottery despite what many have said. It is very predictable and somewhat easy to learn. I am not that tech savvy (44 y/o mom). (We have never been higher than the 4th group of the day on either coast).
This ride will never be "open season". It can't move numbers like the others (reliably). Maybe in a few years it could transition to FP+. But that's a ways off. Hell, all you need to do is ask a cast member. They appreciate this system, even though there is disappointment. It is a level playing field for everyone. (AP holders, staying on site vs.off site, DAS, VIPs, etc). When they tell the VIPs no, that should be a clue to everyone that they want it to be fair. I believe it is.

I like the virtual queue. I think that the boarding group system is really effective. I **LIKE** how you don't have to physically wait in line for hours and hours just to go on the one ride. I **LIKE** how, instead of waiting in the physical line, I can do OTHER stuff in Star Wars land or in the rest of HS while we wait for our BG to be called. Star Wars land has a lot of cool stuff to experience, cool stuff to do, cool stuff to explore.

Right now, at least, I hope they don't bring bac FP+ and if some kind of FP does come back, I hope that ROTR sticks with the BG system for awhile.

I **LIKE** that the BG system applies to everyone, how NOBODY gets preferential treatment. I like how you can't skip the virtual queue line by paying for a VIP tour.

In my opinion, what everybody needs to consider is shifting their focus. Instead of the thought process being "OMG, if we don't get a ROTR BG, then our trip is totally ruined and this is all going to suck," the focus should be something like "We're going to have a fun day at HS and if we luck out and get a ROTR BG, then that'll be icing on the cake, but if we don't get a BG, we're still going to have a great day."

If you want to increase your odds of getting a BG, be strategic about it and go to DL or WDW at a time of year that has fewer crowds. On top of that, plan on going to HS on multiple days of your trip instead of just one day. Get multiple people in your group to try for a BG at the same time on different phones. Etc., etc.

But also expect that EVEN IF YOU DO ALL OF THOSE THINGS, YOU STILL MIGHT NOT GET A BG!

Manage your expectations. Set proper expectations ahead of time with other people in your group.

Virtual queues for super-mega-popular headliners are here to stay, so everyone should just start to get used to it. SWGE is also using a virtual queue to get to the legacy lightsaber counter at Dok Ondar's. We used that earlier this month when we were there on vacation. It was very effective and we were able to go and do other stuff for 90 minutes instead of standing in a horrendously long line. I really liked that.

Virtual queues have been used at Gideon's Bakery in DS as well. And at times during the pandemic, there was a virtual queue to get into World of Disney at DS and also in DTD at Disneyland. There were times at World of Disney in DTD in Anaheim that the 'wait' time in the virtual queue was 2-4 hours.

And 6-8 hours in line to ride Hagrid's at Universal Orlando? Good grief. You guys all seriously want to devote 6-8 hours standing line to get on ROTR? You want to spend an entire day at HS to just go on one ride? that's either dedication or insanity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!