ROTR lottery needs to end.

The only tweak it needs is to allow ride virgins priority boarding. Otherwise it’s a good system compared to waiting in line. When people ride dozens of times to the exclusion of people who have never been on it, I think that just stinks.

Last edited:
I actually don't mind it. I tried for the queue 3 times now on 2 separate trips and got it all 3. With a regular queue I'd potentially be standing in line for hours. With the virtual queue I'm in line for a fraction of the time which allows me to do other things rather than sitting my butt in a long line.

I could only image the complete chaos there would be at Rope Drop people running (like they did in the past) to get to ROTR. We have 3 days in HS hoping to get ROTR on one of those days which we did yesterday. I know it's very frustrating to not be able to ride the ride on the day you are on the park.

System is way better than the old way of duking it out to get to a ride first thing in the morning for a fast pass time, then have to wait around all day for the return - or having to do it 60 days in advance and book a dummy room reservation to get early Fp access.

same day lottery works great for us and I hope they keep it.

I actually don't mind it. I tried for the queue 3 times now on 2 separate trips and got it all 3. With a regular queue I'd potentially be standing in line for hours. With the virtual queue I'm in line for a fraction of the time which allows me to do other things rather than sitting my butt in a long line.
Yup, Disney really doesn't want you standing in ques which is why I see more and more virtual ques coming in the future. They want you walking around eating somewhere or in the shops.

I’ll take knowing the results of my try in 1 min over hours and hours in a queue, any day!!

Without the virtual queue there would still be no guarantee that guests could ride but would mean a crush of people arriving at rope drop only to spend all day in line for one ride. No thanks. I’ll take joining a virtual queue from the comfort of my resort any day and then plan the day accordingly around the results of my attempt.

I'm also in the minority of doing away with it or even opening up more times.

The 7 am and 1 pm may not always work for everyone, especially if this is a park you do on arrival day.

I would even be happy with opening up the 1 pm to being able to try from the resort (not just the park).

I could only image the complete chaos there would be at Rope Drop people running (like they did in the past) to get to ROTR. We have 3 days in HS hoping to get ROTR on one of those days which we did yesterday. I know it's very frustrating to not be able to ride the ride on the day you are on the park.
RotR was VQ from day 1. At one time you had to be tapped into the park before requesting a VQ.

I would have loved to experience this ride, but I'm not getting up at obscene o'clock a.m. to maybe, possibly, hopefully and most probably not getting on a ride because I have a) a slower connection b) fumble fingers c) a bad alarm clock (not to mention the late night I had previously)

I intensely dislike this type of thing--unlike others, I see this as unfairly skewed against those who don't have the aforementioned skill set.

We had two DH days the first 2 weeks this month, and I refused to encourage the Mouse by participating in this free-for-all.

RotR was VQ from day 1. At one time you had to be tapped into the park before requesting a VQ.
I had a BWV stay in December 2019 and was able to ride a couple of times.

There were massive crowds to get in.

E88BF027-9C05-44E5-A723-4A81ED8E9DF0.jpeg

The current system is a big improvement but the technically challenged have no chance of getting a Boarding Group.

I was at Guest Relations in May 2021 renewing my Annual Pass and happened to overhear a Cast Member trying to explain to an elderly woman how to get a Boarding Group. The Cast Member was very professional but I could hear in her voice that she knew this woman had no chance.

Disney really needs to come up with a system that favors those who have never been on ROTR.

We were able to experience ROTR twice on our recent trip - both times our BG was obtained by the 20-somethings in the group. We missed the first time at 7:00 but were able to get 1:00, and the second day we got a BG at the 7:00 drop. The process definitely favors those with faster fingers and faster phones. The first time we rode, the first preshow was skipped, which is why we tried again the second day. ROTR makes a lot more sense if you experience the first preshow.

I think there needs to be a different system, but I don't know what. We booked our trip eight months in advance but stressed over ROTR until the day of. I don't know what the capacity of the ride is, but it would be nice if there was some way Disney could give one BG with a multi-day ticket or with an onsite resort stay. There are more people in DHS each day than capacity for the ride, though, so I don't know how to make those numbers work.

Given RotR breaks down a fair amount virtual ques make sense now. Imagine waiting in a stand by que and then the ride goes down after wait for 2 or 3 hours? How does Disney deal with that? They would have to issue a return pass and now that screws the next day.
I think that they should reserve a number of boarding groups and release them via an in the park machine like in Tokyo Disney sea. Each group has 1 chance per day at getting a spot. This would give those Techonology disadvantaged a chance.

We are leaving Orlando now. We were able to get ROTR at 7 am both of our days. 7 people, new phones, countdown timers and fast fingers, stayed offsite.

I had practiced the screens before coming to Disney at 7am from home, and made sure all membersof our party were prechecked. And showed my family how to do the same. I got in on the first day as bg 27, our 24 year old got us in the second day as bg 14.

The first day, only 10 of us were allowed in pre show at a time. Yesterday, the pre-show was full. Apparently, the ride broke down the first day as we had over an hour in the queue.

Yesterday, we walked through the queue directly on board.

A stressful time to get the ride, but I am not sure what the alternative would be.

We would do it again, especially for FOP, if we could.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!