Rope Drop Q's and Harbor Blvd Entrance

ECMD2018

Earning My Ears
After much back and forth, I cancelled my DLH reservation and will be staying at the Courtyard by Marriott. Breaks my heart, but couldn't rationalize a smaller room, longer walk and $200 more per night. Was looking forward to EMH. Anyway, I have a few q's that hopefully can be answered to ease my hyper planning mind.

1) What time should I plan on being at the Harbor Blvd Security entrance if i would like to hit Rope Drop?
2) From what I have read, it is better to hit Rope Drop for the park without EMH. Intuitively that makes sense to me, but would love your feedback.
3) I already have my mobile tickets (1 day park hopper). How does that work tho to start the day? Do i just pick a park and when I go to turnstile they scan my ticket? I don't have to get a hard ticket somewhere? Is there a hard ticket at all?

Thx.

I did rope drop on 2 days, Sunday June 30 and Tuesday July 2

Both times I got the 6.20am ART bus from Motel 6

I got to Harbour Boulevard Security about 6.35 am ish and both times there were no lines, I walked straight up to a security table.

On Sunday June 30 the park opened at 8.am. I had time to mobile order and collect my breakfast at Starbucks and still find an entrance turnstile with only 5 people at it. On that day, they let us into the park around 7.45am and we were held at the hub. I was at the rope into Fantasyland and was among the first 15 people on Peter Pan, basically a walk on. The majority of people at rope drop were held at Frontierland entrance for SWGE.

On Tuesday July 2 the park had early opening at 7.am and general opening at 8am. I had early opening access as I had a 3 day ticket bought in advance. This time they let us into the park exactly at 7.00am. I didnt do the rope drop stampede but had a sit down breakfast in Starbucks on Main Street and then went to Fantasyland. Only Fantasyland was open for early access, however there was a huge queue of early access people being held at Frontierland entrance for Galaxys Edge.

My advance would be, no matter if its early access or general opening day, do not try for SWGE first thing in the morning. Go straight into Fantasyland and do the rides there first, then go to either Tomorrowland or Adventureland or Frontierland untill about 12pm. Go to SWGE in the afternoon, after 3pm

3) I already have my mobile tickets (1 day park hopper). How does that work tho to start the day? Do i just pick a park and when I go to turnstile they scan my ticket? I don't have to get a hard ticket somewhere? Is there a hard ticket at all?

Thx.

when you get your phone scanned at the entrance turnstile, you will get ypur photo taken with a hand held device and be given a small credit card sized paper ticket. You can use this paper ticket at the free fastpass kiosks, and you can scan this ticket at the fastpass return scanners. I keep my paper ticket in a clear plastic pouch attached to a retractable employee belt clip attached to my bag. This way I dont have to mess about getting my ticket in and out of my wallet.

Last edited:
2) The general advice given here for those who don't have EMH/EE/MM is to start the day by doing RD at the park that does not have the early entry for on site guests or those using a MM. The reason for this is that even starting with RD at the park with the early entry will still put you an hour behind those who entered ahead of you. At DCA, this isn't so bad because only on site guests have EE access. If necessary, you can RD behind the EE guests and still get a lot done in the morning hours. But at DL, being an hour behind the EMH/MM guests (both on site guests and most guests with a 3+ day ticket) in FL and TL can really set you back. If you do end up having to do this, start your day on the western end of the park (Frontierland, AL, NOS, Critter Country). Those areas do not open for EMH/MM, so you will at least be on equal footing with other guests at RD.
3) After you receive your paper ticket at the turnstile, take a moment to take a photo of the back with a clear image of the barcode. In case your ticket gets lost/stolen, this photo will help you get a replacement easily and quickly at Guest Services. Also, some people here use the photo to scan at the FP return lines so that they don't have to keep unlocking their phone to open the DLR app so often.

If you have max pass, is there any benefit to lining up for the early entry park and getting through the turnstiles so that you can start making Maxpass selections early, and then switching to the non-EE park?

2) The general advice given here for those who don't have EMH/EE/MM is to start the day by doing RD at the park that does not have the early entry for on site guests or those using a MM. The reason for this is that even starting with RD at the park with the early entry will still put you an hour behind those who entered ahead of you. At DCA, this isn't so bad because only on site guests have EE access. If necessary, you can RD behind the EE guests and still get a lot done in the morning hours. But at DL, being an hour behind the EMH/MM guests (both on site guests and most guests with a 3+ day ticket) in FL and TL can really set you back. If you do end up having to do this, start your day on the western end of the park (Frontierland, AL, NOS, Critter Country). Those areas do not open for EMH/MM, so you will at least be on equal footing with other guests at RD.
3) After you receive your paper ticket at the turnstile, take a moment to take a photo of the back with a clear image of the barcode. In case your ticket gets lost/stolen, this photo will help you get a replacement easily and quickly at Guest Services. Also, some people here use the photo to scan at the FP return lines so that they don't have to keep unlocking their phone to open the DLR app so often.

Really excellent advice from @theluckyrabbit! We have followed it to a “t” when staying off property and had great time!! The opposite park suggestion is a golden one...highly recommend!!

If you have max pass, is there any benefit to lining up for the early entry park and getting through the turnstiles so that you can start making Maxpass selections early, and then switching to the non-EE park?
No. You can collect max passes for either park once you scan in at the non-EE Park.

Thank you --- exactly the type of advice I needed. Yes, I have maxpass too. Don't want to miss out on RSR or Soarin @ DCA, but sounds like if I'm active on maxpass I'll be able to make it work for later in the afternoon/evening.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter